2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

Arvind Balaraman

Thank you all . A bit nervous on the weather. Hope it turns out to be good. Will keep you all psoted

berylrunner

Rick

Brewing - thanks.  Yes, I will sacrifice some trail running for more road miles.  The long run should be no problem.  Running it continuously will be a working point.  A couple of notes on my mileage.  The 30mpw was just recently.  I had a big cycle in August with a peak of 80+.  Last spring I was averaging 60 with a peak of 100, but that did include hiking miles.  I will start lowering the ratio of the hiking miles.  For the Ultra events I ran, the shorter ones usually capped of a big cycle,  I only did a short taper for my bigger events.  Ultra running you can get away with that, it is almost a different sport.  Something clicked in my training.  Maybe the mileage or huge vertical, but I found a faster gear so even though my mileage was reduced for the summer, my paces increased.  So the thoughts of trying a faster marathon started.  Before, I could care less about speed.  Goal was to finish events with a comfortable cushion ahead of cutoffs and not be injured after.

Winters are tough.  Cold and windy, not much snow but everything is frozen.  Would usually get some good miles in by heading south a couple of times a week.  Wife runs the errands, I run.  Cross training, not much.  A crappy elliptical in the garage.  Colder than running.  Some skiing on the weekends.  Strength training is good through functional fitness.  Shoveling, chainsaw, lifting bales of hay, etc.  Definitely have some imbalances though.

Good luck on your race.

Darkwave - thanks for the welcome.  I will look into that intro link.

runthechamp - I agree.  The 5k time is weak.  I hope to improve as soon as the foot feels a little better.  One of my challenges is I like to run comfortable.  I need to break out of that.  What do you do for your 2 hard workouts and recovery after?

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

runethechamp

Rick - The long workouts vary, and all the details can be found in JDs book. But what's typical are mid week workouts of 13-15 miles and weekend workouts of 15-20, with everything from VO2max intervals and reps, tempo work, marathon paced runs, and easy pace long runs. Interval and tempo work are often preceded by 5-8 miles of easy paced running so the workouts are rarely run on legs that are all fresh. I think doing these workouts will definitely push you past what seems comfortable, to say it lightly. Everything else is exactly the opposite, just recovery and easy runs, and very comfortable. I uploaded most of my workouts for September to the RA platform but there is more details if you find me on Strava. Brew can probably also give you his insight on the JD workouts and program in general.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

pepperjack

pie man

Good luck Chicago people.  And everybody else.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Good luck Keen and the Chicago crew!

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Beryl: Nice to see you here. I tend to post here even though I should make it safely through 2018 without running a marathon. You mentioned running a 3:39, but do you have any long race results that suggest 3:20 is reasonable? I'm guessing 3:20 is "aspirational" right now, mostly because marathons suck and usually disappoint. If you stick to utras then you can help me annoy everyone here by not talking marathon training.

Darkwave: I thought a TURD was a type of rest day. That is a good title though. Nice job neglecting your welcome duties.

There are 23 runners in my race next weekend, including at least 2 Barkley fun run finishers and Ann Trason. I was already doomed, but now I'm more doomed.

Speed Surplus

Beryl: Nice to see you here. I tend to post here even though I should make it safely through 2018 without running a marathon. You mentioned running a 3:39, but do you have any long race results that suggest 3:20 is reasonable? I'm guessing 3:20 is "aspirational" right now, mostly because marathons suck and usually disappoint. If you stick to utras then you can help me annoy everyone here by not talking marathon training.

Darkwave: I thought a TURD was a type of rest day. That is a good title though. Nice job neglecting your welcome duties.

There are 23 runners in my race next weekend, including at least 2 Barkley fun run finishers and Ann Trason. I was already doomed, but now I'm more doomed.

EZ - just Sit and Kick... on Ann Trason 

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Doom is relative and contingent on your competitors?  I did not know.

6 miles, including a 1 mile pick-up in 6:28 (targeting something between half marathon and 10 miler effort).  Then 500 yards recovery swimming.  Forecast for Sunday is now 70 degrees with 68 degrees. Ah well - race for place, not time.

Fridge not fixed.  Why?  Well...the first vendor that came said that they couldn't fix compressors (?!?!) so we had to call a second vendor.  Second vendor came this morning, but nobody told us that 1) second vendor couldn't rely on first vendor's identification of the issue, but had to diagnose themselves, and 2) our fridge needs to be plugged in for 24 hours before it can be diagnosed.

So...that was a wasted trip.  When is the next appt?  Next Wednesday....

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

OMR

Dwave:  My thought is that if it needs a new compressor, you should just buy a new fridge.
                    max:  good luck.  there is a part of me that really wants to do that.  but then there is the fact that running for more than an hour is probably not a good idea right now.

beryl:  Welcome.  I haven’t been posting on (or reading) the ultra forums because of my knee issue.  Someday, perhaps...

i ran 7 miles yesterday, and my knee popped only 2-3 times.  today i ran 4 @ “super-9s,” without more than one or two pops.  things are looking up?

Pesto

Good luck brew and arvind in Chicago! It seems you’re both ready! I’m quite excited for both of you

ck - sorry for your loss, hope the family is doing well

and good luck on the HM!

welcome Rick!

rune - great training, almost taper time. Unfortunately I won’t be able to see you in Amsterdam as I’ll be running Graz next Sunday instead. I’ll look forward to your RR

lots of great weeks here as usual.

hi to everyone else!

Lovely weekend to all!

5K - 18:03 (5.18) | 10K - 37:58 (2.18) | HM - 1:20:45 (9.18) | FM: 2:57:59 (10.18)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Sitting in line for the expo to open with a bunch of other people who apparently don’t want to talk. It’s kind of weird. Runners are kind of annoying in the morning too. Probably a lack of hard workouts this week and last giving them extra energy. I’d call family but they’re sleeping like logical people.

Max: I second SC’s suggestion. Sit and kick on Ann. She is a shell of the runner she was and she does a lot of volunteering at aid stations now. Not much time for training.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Dwave:  My thought is that if it needs a new compressor, you should just buy a new fridge.

We paid $1800 total for the fridge+5 year service plan in the summer of 2016 (it's a fancy fridge). $200 of that was the service plan.  You see why I'm not eager to buy a replacement as a substitute for a repair that should be covered under the service plan at no cost to us.  Smile

There is a lemon provision in the service plan, so after 3 breakdowns, we get a new fridge free.  Hopefully it will not come to that.

3 miles very easy (9:00).  Have my phone set up with the Chicago tracking app, and I'll check it in my bag tomorrow morning at Army, so I should be able to track most of Chicago, though I won't be able to post updates here.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

berylrunner

Rick

Hey Max.  Nope, not guessing, completely right about "aspirational".  I might be here a while.  Should be a 3:40 thread, but that would be selling myself short.  3:30 would be about right.  No recent race results.  The 3;39 was 4 years ago run on no specific marathon training and recovering from injury.  Just have the really good training cycles this spring, the good results from the Ultra events, and really nice friends that tell me I could go faster if I took things more seriously, to base things on.

Your race sounds interesting.  Wish I would have gotten that email.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

Arvind and Brew - Good luck tomorrow!

Keen - Hope your Wurst race went well!

Welcome to Beryl!  (...lifting bales of hay?  wow!!)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Brew through the half in 1:32:53. First 5K splits are 6:58, 7:04, 7:04, 7:12

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19)