2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

thanks for the brew update! looks soiid so far, fingers crossed for the rest!

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Pesto

An almost 2 minute PR for the HM there! Keep it up Brew!

Brew through the half in 1:32:53. First 5K splits are 6:58, 7:04, 7:04, 7:12

5K - 18:03 (5.18) | 10K - 37:58 (2.18) | HM - 1:20:45 (9.18) | FM: 2:57:59 (10.18)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Looks like something has happened, his last two 5ks right after the half were 9:44 and 9:50. A little early for a bonk, so I hope it’s not an injury or something serious.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

runethechamp

I was thinking the same thing JMac. Arvind is holding pretty steady though and is on pace for 3:23.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

fb-guy

Go Brew, Go Arvind. Glad I can root along!

Just read the Mo Farah won at 2:05:something

Hang in there Brew -- that the perfect half. UPDATE. I missed the slow-down; crappo. I hope it's all OK.

Max -- finishing last by more than 12 hours might no show well. But otherwise, I agree that running in an elite field doesn't = doom!

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Brew home in 3:37:41. He held on to the pace he changed to at the half and didn’t slow down further, so good job!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Arvind finished in 3:35:57.  Must have been a rough morning out there for all.

I ran a bit less than 20% what Arvind and Brew did, much more slowly.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Walked a bit of the start of miles. Stomach went to shart and the heart wouldn’t slow down. Sent the wife a message around 14 or 15 because it was going to be a long day. Stomach still hates me but the legs feel good. Checkers or wreckers doesn’t always end with checkers.

Never saw arvind pass me. I’m guessing he was with a pace group I saw blow past me representing this forum.

Brew home in 3:37:41. He held on to the pace he changed to at the half and didn’t slow down further, so good job!

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Walked a bit of the start of miles. Stomach went to shart and the heart wouldn’t slow down. Sent the wife a message around 14 or 15 because it was going to be a long day. Stomach still hates me but the legs feel good. Checkers or wreckers doesn’t always end with checkers.

Never saw arvind pass me. I’m guessing he was with a pace group I saw blow past me representing this forum.

Shit - I'm sorry.  From the tracking, it looked like a lot of runners had a tough time, especially after 35K.  And while I guess that's the marathon to some extent, it just seemed pronounced today.  I'm glad you're OK and have such a good attitude.

Arvind - looks like a tough day for you also - I'm sorry.

Jim ran 3:38, with a very odd first 5K split - (10:35 pace).  Maybe a chip error?

Not the important race of the day, but I ran 66:02 at Army 10 Miler  - obviously far off my PR, but I'm still pretty happy with it - a starting temp of 72 with a dew point of 70 meant it was not going to be a fast day.  I'm happy with it for where I am in my CIM training.  Looks like I was 3rd female master, and I also got a nice travel mug for finishing in the top 100 women (Army is a BIG race - 35,000 runners, so they do stuff like that)

Race report.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Nice racing DW and Jim (if you're lurking).

Brew and Arvind - way to hang tough.  (BTW, my only Chicago marathon was a 20min positive split sufferfest).

Running Problem

Problem Child

I think I know the agony of a 20 minute positive split. Very humbling. I was contemplating trail races as a more acceptable form of distance running.

Nice racing DW and Jim (if you're lurking).

Brew and Arvind - way to hang tough.  (BTW, my only Chicago marathon was a 20min positive split sufferfest).

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

OMR

Brew:  Sorry to hear about the stomach issues.  Any idea what caused it?  Regardless, good for you for struggling through it.  Your training cycle won't go to waste.

arvind:  Sounds like you had a tough day as well.

Dwave & Jim:  Congrats!

Hey all...my week, which actually almost looks like a week...

M:  4 @ 8:07

T:  5 w/8x400, 8x200 Ipace

W:  4 @ 8:55

T:  7 @ 8:20

F:  4 @ 9:11

S:  6 @ 8:18

S:  10 @ 9:36

Total:  40.

My week:

M: 8 easy

T: 6 with track intervals 4x1000, 3x300

W: 8 easy

Th: 8 easy

F: 1h XT

S: 8 easy

S: 10 easy

total = 48 slow and creaky miles

Arvind Balaraman

This is an awesome group.  Thank you all for the concern and wishes.

I finished in 3:35:57

My plan was to be with the 3:20 pacer for first 16-17 miles and speed up if my body permits and do a 3:18. Everything wemt as per the plan until mile 19. I crossed half in 1:41:10 and was with the pacer until mile 16. I started pushing a bit and was ahead of the pacer by a few yards and kept running. AT mile 18, my left quads started to hurt and it became worse in mile 19, I also started to feel a bit of cramping in my right calf, My right quad joined the party as well. I decided not to push and reduced my speed. It was miserable in the last 2 miles.  It became worse towards the end.  I need to find out the root case of these cramp.

I had 3 scoops of ucan at the start of the race and started taking gels at 2:30 hrs. I had a gel every 30-40 min,  gels until the last mile. I also had gatorade at each aid station.

RAce Preparation

I felt that I was prepared well for this race, Unlike Richmond where I faded in the last 3 miles, I did not hit the fade this time. I logged 60+ miles each week for 19 weeks 1067 miles in all. I did five 20 milers and hill repeats each week. I reduced my strength and cross training a bit to factor more miles.

1. Wondering if my fueling strategy went wrong

2. Should I have done more leg work especially quads.

3. The fat course took on me, may be I should have done more long runs on flat surfaces. All my long runs were on hills courses and I did hill repeats each week as well. Not sure if this is appropriate for flat courses like Chicago.

4. May be I dont have the 3:20 in me yet, and I pushed for it causing the cramps

Time to take a step back and reflect on what i can do better next time.

Strict WTF adherent

I was contemplating trail races as a more acceptable form of distance running.

That is the correct conclusion. Way to stick it out anyway.

My week:

Mon - Weights

Tues - 3.5 super easy

Wed - Weights

Thurs - 3.1 super easy

Fri - Weights

Sat - 3 like yesterday was leg day

Sun - 4 super easy

Total: 13.6, all slow on the treadmill

So some progress there. Hamstring hasn't been bothering me other than one little twinge walking down some stairs on Saturday. May see what happens if I run outside and throw in some strides this week. Weights today.

That also makes about 20 miles in the Hoka Hupana.

Nice neutral shoe. Not too squishy. Upper may be a little shallow in spots, but it mostly seems like one of those shoes that you never think about while wearing ... which is exactly what so many others fail to do.