2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

Arvind Balaraman

Got it. thank you

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Arvind is keeping mum about bouncing back after being chastised, but I have my suspicions.

BTW, apologies to Arvind if I came off as "chastising" - that was not my intent.  I just strongly believe that doubling back on marathons is one of those things that sounds great immediately after the first marathon, but is actually challenging to pull off.

Matt - refresh me, do you have any other goals coming up?  My concern about doing the marathon is that it would compromise any racing plans for later this fall.

Pesto - I said it elsewhere, but congrats!

For the record, there is nothing wrong with 9:10 pace.  Tongue

As for me, calf is fine, so yay.  Ended up running 53 miles plus 35 "miles" pool-running.
      M: 9 "miles" pool-running.
      T: 12 "miles" pool-running and upper body weights/core
      W: 5 miles very easy (9:35), yoga, and then another 7 miles very easy (8:37).  3 "miles" pool-running mid-day.
      Th: upper body weights/core and 11 "miles" pool-running.
      F: 12 miles, including 2x3200 in 12:51 (6:29/6:22) and 12:42 (6:24/6:18) - 800 m jogging recovery in between.  Also leg strengthwork and recovery swimming.
      Sa: 12 miles very easy (8:51), drills/strides, and upper body weights/core.
      Su: 17 miles, including 2x5 miles in 33:46 (6:50/6:53/6:37/6:43/6:43) and 33:37(6:41/6:45/6:41/6:44/6:46) - 1 mile float recovery in between.  Also leg strengthwork and recovery swimming.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

pesto- yesssss!!! amazing!!

arvind- how is recovery going? any more thoughts on a 2nd marathon?

sclever, matt- bike commuters = <3
        I used to be snarky about ebikes ... I bike to work (when I'm not training for marathons) and I used to always get passed on the same hill by a guy wearing khakis and riding a throttle bike. It was annoying! But then my city got a dockless e-bikeshare system (private company) and our docked bikeshare system has a small proportion of e-bikes throughout the system. I live on a steep hill and it gets quite windy here - so e-bikes have become the default thing to look for when coming home dinner or a movie or something.

Prediction time (paging Ilana):

This is a little premature, but reading the feedback for matt got me to start thinking.

CIM is ~7 weeks out. My training is here https://www.strava.com/athletes/3635502/training/log.

Some summary:
        - started training in July, ran several weeks of 64-68mpw during buildup. When I added workouts, moved down to more like 60-64mpw.
        - raced a 10k at 6:36 pace last weekend (on tired legs, felt flat the whole time, honestly thought I'd go quicker).

- I've been doing XC races but I know those paces aren't objectively interpret-able. Have done a lot of development races.

- Did a 21 miler on Saturday, 7:57 pace and really felt easy (other than the fact that it was warm out), followed it the next day with a 10km cruise run at ~7:05 (was happy to feel great). Also this will be my only >20mi run of the cycle.

- Have done a midweek long(ish) run almost every week, 12-14mi, and most weekends a long run of 14-21mi.

I'm mainly asking to help me predict a pace for a half marathon in 2 weeks, which will do a better job to inform CIM. My PR is 7:00 pace from 2 years ago (thanks Jim for helping me that day!) and I've been wanting to go sub-1:30 (6:52 pace) for a long time.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

oregonrw

Pesto: Awesome! congrats on sub 3!

CK: What's Watopia?

Brew and Arvind: Nice work in Chicago. Sounds like you both did a great job pushing through a tough day.  Hope your recovery is going well (sounds like Arvind's is if you're running 18 already!)

Ace: Great run! Looks like you're ready for the race.

fb: Glad to hear your achilles is behaving. Nice week.

I've missed a bunch - I went back a page or two but that was all.  Hello everyone else.  The last few weeks have been busy. Running is fine -- averaged 48 mpw the last few weeks and felt pretty good, our weather has been pretty close to perfect, which helps. I'm still trying to figure out a race schedule, but for now just mostly maintaining, although I have added strides back in a few days a week to try to keep some turnover.

Running Problem

Problem Child

pesto CPNGRATULATIONS! Sub 3! Badass. Race report? If you only had to deal with cramps for 3-400m I'd say it's because your blood is going from the stomach to the legs to give you whatever is left. The brain is taking over control and the stomach is willing to deal with it for a few minutes.

keen glad I could help you offer the company an opportunity to save money however, wouldn't it save them more not to sponsor you? Are you getting excited for taper week? Also, considering an ultra is probably normal during JD2Q training.

arvind If you're going to double back I'd pick one soon. 18 miles this soon seems impossible to me. Heck, even 10 seems too far to run on a weekend to me right now.

matt My only question about the marathon would be "what is the point? Run it for the medal? Run with a friend? Tune up race?" and when you figure out the answer I'd go from there.

ace again...your speed impresses me almost every time you work out.

rlk I think you already picked the pace (sub 90) you just haven't committed to it. Checkers or wreckers. How did you get home from the long run? Pretty awesome pace too.

sc I don't bike so take this for what it's worth. If you're keeping it casual I'd consider it the same as an hour or so at the gym each way. If you're not planning any races you should be fine. I'd think it would be a nice mental unwind and as long as the weather holds up, and you're not aiming for a marathon soon, you'd probably be okay. Just don't race those e-bikes.

max where are the results? I see you didn't die but did you beat Ann or at least threaten to axe murder her?

dwave I enjoyed the read about doubling. I forgot you did it a second time but it was interesting to see your perspective. I guess I'd consider myself in a semi different position only because mine wasn't an all out race. The advice on recovering was also helpful...unless that was from max about not being healed or something after a week or two and trying to run fast.

I took the week off (SOP for marathons) and "didndonuffin" much during the week. Casual running from here on out but the GOAL is to get some TRX workouts in. Family in from out of town leaves tomorrow so it should bring life back to normal. We cleaned out the fridge before Chicago, went grocery shopping this weekend, and haven't cooked anything but breakfast at our house since October 3 or so. I need to pick a weekly goal (40 mpw? 50 mpw?) to stick with and a spring marathon. My biggest fear is the snow/ice/cold winds possibly here. yeah you guessed it....marathon training sucks. I got over missing it pretty quickly.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CalBears

I'm mainly asking to help me predict a pace for a half marathon in 2 weeks

Do you mean half marathon in 3 weeks? I am going to sub 1:30, you are in much better shape than me, so maybe you can pace ? Smile

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Speed Surplus

"I used to be snarky about ebikes"

Same, I have been annoyed in the past when ebikes have passed me up hills when I was on my road bike. But my new rule of thumb is this: Anyone who has a faster marathon PR or a longer commute can freely give me crap about riding one 

As for your upcoming HM, if the course and weather are favorable, I think you definitely have sub-90 in you. Just be careful not to go out at 6:40 pace or anything. Maybe ease into it a couple of 6:55s and try to work down to 6:45s

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

Arvind Balaraman

The more and more I think, I feel that the body needs more rest. I am thinking of a fe half this year (I have already signed up for 5 (4 and 1 I am pacing). I was planing to convert one of these to a full. My fitness (or at least the feel) before the race was not the same as I had last year . My fitness after the race is definitely less than what I had before the race.

I ran 18 last weekend to get used to teh distance, it was by no means to gauge my fitness level for another race.

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

rlk - your 10k equivalent (aggressive) is 1:30:30, your 5k equivalent (ditto) is just barely sub 1:30.  I think it will be a stretch and require perfect conditions to go sub-90. But if your 5k pr is old and you think you could beat it now, you may have a better chance than I suppose.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

Do you mean half marathon in 3 weeks? I am going to sub 1:30, you are in much better shape than me, so maybe you can pace ? Smile

hahaha look who continues to pop in at the perfect time! (paging max as witness)

Nope, not Clarksburg. Redwood City Half is 10/28. Better timing for CIM and way more convenient for me. Feel free to sign up and then I'll pace Smile
                      PS- a few years ago didn't we try to map where our performances would converge, in terms of age? Maybe it's finally happening...

brew- yeah, sub-6:52 for sure, but maybe can I do better? Going to start out at that pace and then hopefully wring it out as the miles go on.

ilana- I ran a faster pace than my 5k PR (which was March this year) for a 3.5mi race about one month ago, so yeah I think I could. One month ago was probably equivalent to ~19:20

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Running Problem

Problem Child

rlk Checkers or wreckers. Coming from someone who just went sub-93. 6:50 is just under 90 so you could always start there and see how it goes. It might start to suck around mile 10, but you could convince yourself it's only 21 more minutes so less than a rerun of Friends. Just don't try and hold something "crazy" like 6:45/mi.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

RLK - I am not Ilana, but I do want to make one note.  There's a difference between fitness and freshness - ideally you'll be maxed out on both for CIM.

For this half, are you going to be fresh enough to run it to your hopeful fitness?

[I write this as someone who never runs to her potential in shorter distances when marathon training]

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

runethechamp

PJ - Nice work with your 10k!

Pesto - Sub 3! Woot! I will always consider that VERY impressive! Thanks for the well wishes for my race.

Matt - Why not? You actually have about the same average weekly mileage as me and I'm trying to be serious about my race 

Arvind - Just be careful. It's easy for injuries to sneak up on you when you are getting back to long and/or fast running this quickly.

Ace - You are looking strong these days so you should be ready for your race!

Keen - 50 miles on a bleh week sounds ok to me! Good thing you got better.

fb - You should be developing a solid base with lots of 60-mile weeks!

Dwave - That Sunday workout is solid!

RLK - You are putting up some really good runs now. Start with the 1:30 pace group and see? On the other hand, I thought I was in good shape at my half in August and blew up.

Last week was full on taper mode for me. I had planned on running a little bit more (close to 40) but this will do. Had two great taper workouts on Wednesday and Saturday, and while Wednesday made 3:20 seem like a walk in the park, Saturday indicated to me that I can keep pace for 3:15 pretty well. I have nothing else telling my I can do that pace, but with new shoes and new gels (used them on Saturday) I now think I can. Now hoping I'll keep my sanity for the upcoming days!

Weekly Summary
                            Monday, Oct 08, 2018 thru Sunday, Oct 14, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>

Day Miles Pace Duration Description HR Link
                            Mon 4.1 9:28 0:39 Evening Run 121 (63%) strava
                            Wed 13.1 7:37 1:40 Better believe the 4% hype (ETMETME) 148 (77%) strava
                            Fri 4.2 9:56 0:42 Doggie sunset run 123 (64%) strava
                            Sat 10.0 7:33 1:15 I believe 150 (78%) strava
                            Sun 2.7 10:11 0:27 Turkey trot 136 (71%) strava
                              34.1 8:20 4:44      

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

OMR

Pesto:  Woof, that's fast...congrats!!

CalBears

hahaha look who continues to pop in at the perfect time! (paging max as witness)

Nope, not Clarksburg. Redwood City Half is 10/28. Better timing for CIM and way more convenient for me. Feel free to sign up and then I'll pace Smile
                                PS- a few years ago didn't we try to map where our performances would converge, in terms of age? Maybe it's finally happening...

Of course times will converge eventually. When I was a little younger than you I thought all the people of the age I am at doing, basically, are looking for a good place at a cemetery. I didn't expect people would be even remotely active at this age. If somebody told me that 50+ yo fols run marathons (not mentioning ultras or bucket list items like 100 miles WSER100) I would consider that person mentally unstable. Seriously, no joke. But hey, here we are still talking about sub 3 hours. Of course times will merge - you are running like crazy and I am on my 7th week of training - what do you expect? Though, a verbal offence like this can be a good motivator for me to resurrect my training to a more decent level - so, you would not think about challenging talented and hard working people like you know who Smile. Anyway - no, Redwood City - oh, it's Redwood City, not Hamboldt Redwoods - ok, yeah, it could be a possibility - it's pretty close and as I know almost flat. But no, not this year - Clarksburg is 3 weeks from CIM, 4 weeks would be better but it worked great for me last year and I still need to run few weeks of higher mileage to get the engine in order. So, Clarksburg it is for me. But you young lady  making great progress, imho. You are in great shape and I definitely would go for sub 1:30. Give it your best - but remember choosing the pain, it's the only way to get there you know - no games... Smile Good luck!

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile