2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

*Checks instagram:

'Lunch Date with Bae'

Awww.

Bahaha. Yeah... some of her content is certainly insufferable. Souvla is a good lunch choice tho

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

RLK - Awesome that Colleen showed up again, and that she ran with the group she did. What prompted her joining?

Arvind - Are you signing up for Berlin, or just curious? Personally, I likely won't be able to run that one until I'm prepared to make a challenge to Kipchoge's record. 

Maurten - Just the past week or two I've been hearing a ton about these. Maybe I'll have to break down and try things.

The city is clearly having issues with water mains. A while back there was a break in my front yard, and right now the water is off because of another break in the line under my (upstream) next-door neighbor's driveway. Hopefully I have water again soon.

DD3 is currently cutting four teeth at once, and seems to be handling it quite well.
      My bad ideas for next year just keep getting worse...

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

pepperjack

pie man

Bahaha. Yeah... some of her content is certainly insufferable. Souvla is a good lunch choice tho

I actually have 3 or 4 people where I always click on their stories and then just ask myself why.  But I still do it.

I was debating trying to get down to do that stupid strava course in SF but I don't think that's going to happen.  My cousin's house is right by the start, even.  But I think I'm going the opposite direction.  Might end up hiking in the El Dorado.  Brew, you recovered enough yet to go chasing a prominence peak?  Full disclosure, I'd probably deliver food on Sunday and hike on Monday.  Figure I only have days left before the snow closes everything on that side.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I decided sometime ago that I would not visit running Instagram sites.  I've been a much happier person since.

(I do visit cat Instagram sites)

I haven't tried Maurten, just because my GUs + water are working well for me, and I don't see why I should mess with success.

Arvind - I've pondered doing Berlin, but decided against it.  That's an awful lot of travel and logistical hassle for a race when I can just stay in the US and do Chicago.  And my friends who did it this year cautioned that it's a very crowded race for the 3:00 marathoners.  Additionally, another friend had a bad race that she attributed to the adjustment to German food, which is much less salty than US food.

McBen - I'm echoing Smax - is there some compelling reason to run the half?  Something that would make it worth risking potential injury.  If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't do it unless I was certain that I wouldn't get hurt doing it.  Honestly, I don't think I'd find jogging a half marathon any fun anyway.

Ace - echoing others in their appreciation for that workout.  You and I are targeting the same marathon times, and there's no way I could pull off that last 3200 without it being a tapered race effort.   I'm going to try not to think too much about that one - you understand....

8 miles very easy to yoga (9:19), yoga, then 4 more miles (9:13) plus drills and strides.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

pepperjack

pie man

My worst is not a runner, but a baritone sax player.  Second is a miler who lives in Flagstaff, though.

All the people I know who have done Berlin have run their PR there, with one exception.  Including sub 2:30 and sub 3:05 friends.

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

I didn't know there are Instagram running sites.  And I may never have looked at Instagram, except by accident.  #showingonesage (That is "showing one's age" not "Showing one Jim'sKat'sCrush".)

PJ: Obvious solution to your route problem.  Stop running on the roads and simply start running up and down the steepest, most varmint- and tick-infested hills you can find up in that area.  You'll get in perfect shape for Euchre Bar.  Suzanna Bon lives up there somewhere and said that Mayacamas is perfect - it has poison oak training covered also.

Keen: Don't you live in that place where people are cool with earthquakes starting due to fracking?  Maybe the ground around your water mains is shifting.  To get all that job creation from spurring climate change along, we have to sacrifice some luxuries, like water service.  You should get one of those body fluids recycling thing they have in Dune.  Anyway... very curious to hear about your bad ideas.

Berlin: Don't go there for the marathon.  It's a waste of a trip to travel there and spend any time trying to run a good marathon.  It's fine to go there and do a fun run marathon in the middle of a trip to see Berlin.  Aside from the impact travel has on marathon prep (as DWave says), there is so much to see and do in that city.  IM(NS)HO.

pepperjack

pie man

See 'Cobb Mountain Nuttiness' for all those things.  Except it was more a hike than a run.  But especially the poison oak.  And especially the 40-50 percent slopes.

edit: I may have escaped the poison oak on monday's Cache Creek hike.  One more reason Cache Creek is awesome.  Also, stream crossing that was above the knee--that's good for...some sort of training?

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

PJ- that inexplicable need to keep scrolling/clicking?! Insta is working on you!

Strava course- the ghost race one? Nah don't bother, boring out-and-back at Lake Merced, it's just an asphalt bike path next to a road with too many car lanes and therefore unpleasant noise. I'm going to do it on Sunday as my tempo - hints of free lululemon swag. But even then it's barely worth going from a few miles away :P

Max- Hahaaa. Excellent clarification.

keen- last year I direct messaged her when I saw she was in SF and on her offseason. Turns out her boyfriend lives here so she comes here a lot when she's not competing. I asked her if there was any chance she wanted to run with us, and she was super friendly and said yes! My friend and I met up with her at a coffeeshop nearby and then walked over to the track. THen she followed our team's instagram, and she sent us a message a few days ago asking if we were working out this Tuesday and if she could join! Pretty neat. She's good at the marketing/fan-base stuff.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Arvind Balaraman

I was thinking to sign up for Berlin. Now have to rethink. My goal for this year and possibly next year is Boston

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Arvind: All things considered, Berlin is a fine race and Berlin the city is awesome.  But if you care about your marathon time, find a small-ish well-run race not too far from you.  Then visit Berlin for fun.  I learned this by running Berlin and caring (a little, not a lot) about my time.  Trying to save you from, uh, mistakes that were made.

Speaking of which, one of the books at Euchre Bar was titled "Timmy Failure:  Mistakes Were Made".  Another was "Marathon Man", which was pretty cool, but somewhat puzzling in hindsight.  There was also "Confusion" and "So You Call Yourself A Man".  I got through 7 books, so there are 3 more that I'm forgetting.  I guess I could go dig out the pages but then I'd have to bath in Tecnu again.

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Also - don't utter That Word.  When you need to talk about Butte, make sure you follow the rules.  Otherwise you invite disaster.

Where's the TURD when you need a TURD to enforce the rules?

Pesto

Arv - I ran Berlin last year. I can definitely recommend it as a very well run race and PR prone. We didn’t have the best weather, but that was just an anomaly I think (you saw what Kipchoge did this year compared to last). I did not find it too crowded (I ran at the 3 hour pace, maybe different for other paces). There’s a lot of people of course (that’s something you said you liked) but the streets are quite wide and there’s definitely plenty of room at 3 hour pace. Support is fantastic throughout the race too. I do agree with max and DkW in that travel takes a lot from you when running a marathon. For me it was just a 1.5 hour flight with no time change. It’s obviously a different story for US based runners like most people in this forum. If you go I recommend staying for some time after the race to enjoy the city (it’s fantastic like Max said) and try to not do much before race day (I made that mistake).

Also, if you (or anyone here) decide to apply and not get in, there’s another chance at the beginning of December on a first come first served basis. They open an extra 1,000 spots. You have to pay an extra 60€ (total 168&euroWink which go to children’s charity. It’s still much cheaper than most major marathons in the US and it’s for a good cause. That’s how I got in.

5K - 18:03 (5.18) | 10K - 37:58 (2.18) | HM - 1:20:45 (9.18) | FM: 2:57:59 (10.18)

fb-guy

I decided sometime ago that I would not visit running Instagram sites.  I've been a much happier person since.

(I do visit cat Instagram sites)

I stopped reading the newspaper about 18 month ago, and I've also been a much happier person since. :-)

One thought about marathon tourism vs. finding a good PR race. Flying internationally and wanting to walk around a lot seeing lots of fun stuff in a new, big city (maybe the only time you are going to see that city) isn't very conducive to running your best race. Even if the course is fast.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

Arvind Balaraman

thank you Max, Pesto. Will keep these in mind.

AceHarris

Sometimes you're sleepy at 4:30 in the morning when you get up to go run and you're in such a habit that you just do your stretches/warmup and start running one of your normal easy 6 mile courses only to get home, look at your running calendar, and realize you were supposed to do hills. Oops.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)