2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

PJ - Whoa, new avatar. Looks like it needs to be rotated 90*.

Arvind - Careful there! You don't want to DOOM yourself by mentioning a certain April race by name.

Max - Fracking doesn't do anything regarding earthquakes. Now, waste water injection after this could well be a different matter. I haven't felt any earthquakes for a long time now, and even the ones I did were always really little.
    The city simply has a problem with their water main pressure being WAY too high and they refuse to do anything about it. Which leaves homeowners having to put $1,500 pressure relief valves in to prevent ruptured pipes in their houses. Not that that does anything to help with the 3rd water main break in my neighborhood in less than 3 years - the water tower being at the entrance to my neighborhood certainly doesn't help things.
    My Bad Idea is no where near the level of your Bad Ideas - mostly because it's really flat. My local roads would actually be perfect training for it, and I know a guy who won this particular race in 2016.

RLK - Very nifty. Definitely sounds like she has a good handle on fan outreach. I suppose it's a good thing that I'm not an elite, sponsored runner because I would SUCK at that.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

pepperjack

pie man

Can't say that's ever happened to me.

What did happen is I ran up a bit of a hill yesterday and strava refused to recognize it.  But that's typical.  Driving by headquarters and shaking my fist at Strava was part of the SF agenda. As well as visiting a few places mentioned in the Monk of Mohka book from BCTC.

edit: I rotated the avitar prior to uploading and still came in sideways, so I figure the universe wants it to be that way.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

pj- driving by strava HQ?! you're gonna make me cry. BTW strava HQ moved recently. (now surrounded by bike lanes and bikeshare stations. just saying.)
        I haven't read any BCTC books yet, but I love that Kyle and Alexi have done it!

keen- agree! smart woman - her racing career probably has 10 more years left, but she seems to be thinking past it.

ace- ahhhh i have done something like that! amazing (or scary?) how we fall into routine like that.

Greg McMillman came to do a nutrition talk for my team last night. Eliz (who has disappeared) got a strong shoutout - we were talking about starch fuel and making it into a gel makes it easier to carry while racing. Ucan rep says "one of Greg's athletes, eliz, is the one who posted a youtube video about how to make ucan into a gel!"

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

pepperjack

pie man

It's a pretty long walk to Strava HQ from Lake County.  And I don't think they let you walk across the Bay Bridge?  I think it might actually kill you if I told you how much I've been driving since I got here.  And 80-85 percent of it was pretty much completely necessary.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

It's a pretty long walk to Strava HQ from Lake County.  And I don't think they let you walk across the Bay Bridge?  I think it might actually kill you if I told you how much I've been driving since I got here.  And 80-85 percent of it was pretty much completely necessary.

yeah i know it would, ha. irony, isn't it - the amount of gas burned in the pursuit of preserving natural spaces.

leave the car at an east bay BART station parking lot and then train in - much more pleasant and cost-effective Smile

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Running Problem

Problem Child

keen Texaco Hill? Named after Texaco New Mexico? 100 miles is a really bad idea. The taper desire must be strong with you. 3 weeks from Sunday, correct?

pj thank you for contributing to the roads rlk loves to bike on. I'm sure the City of (insert where you purchased fuel) appreciates the tax money too. I'd rather drive than ride BART anyways.

ucan...I hate that product because of a tri-podcaster's voice.

Anyone racing this weekend? I'll be putting floors in when rune is out there doing his thing next weekend.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

pepperjack

pie man

Well, the plan was to go to down to Santa Cruz, so i'm not sure taking a train into the city would be that more fun or effective considering i'm pretty much going to be going that way anyway.  But it's moot since i'm not going at all.

Brew-  that's a no on the hike, I take it?

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - I have not yet begun to taper! The race is actually 4 weeks from this Saturday. Who knows how crazy I may go closer to time.

I just discovered that they have a 50k/50mi the week after the OKC marathon. They are teasing me with a really sweet buckle for finishing either of those races and the 100mi in the same year...

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew - I have not yet begun to taper! The race is actually 4 weeks from this Saturday. Who knows how crazy I may go closer to time.

I just discovered that they have a 50k/50mi the week after the OKC marathon. They are teasing me with a really sweet buckle for finishing either of those races and the 100mi in the same year...

DO IT! If you learned ANYTHING from this forum this year it's back to back races are better than having time to recover and/or think about things. Plus...buckles. wait..100 miles plus a 50 miler in one year? I'd consult max on that one since he's the best one to convince you of bad ideas actually being rewarding and better than anything else you'd consider.

pj hike? Maybe. Oh check out Sainte Adarius Rustic Ales (SARA) while in Santa Cruz if you like Brett/funky beers. Pizza My Heart is a good $6 slice and you get a free shirt. Cellarmaker (SF), Fieldwork (SF), and Rare Barrel (berkley) might be worth checking out for your trip.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

pepperjack

pie man

Whenever I make it there, i'll try to check it out.

Decided to go to the Trail Film Festival, after all.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Also - don't utter That Word.  When you need to talk about Butte, make sure you follow the rules.  Otherwise you invite disaster.

Where's the TURD when you need a TURD to enforce the rules?

The TURD was actually asleep when you posted that after midnight US east coast time.

But, anyhoo….

Arvind, in my role as Thread Usurper and Ruthless Dictator 2018 (TURD) I find you guilty of explicitly and obliviously invoking the "B-Word."  I hereby sentence you to a PR of at least 5 minutes and a BQ.

(Whew - that was hard.  I hate meting out discipline.).

Suggested races for Arvind to consider: RNR AZ, Myrtle Beach, One City, Shamrock, Glass City, Eugene, Grandma's, Erie, Mohawk-Hudson, Columbus, Baystate, Indy Monumental, Richmond, Philadelphia, CIM, Rehoboth, Kiawah.  Or any of the Tunnel races.

In other news, this thread moves fast, and I can't keep up.  I agree that tourism and marathon PRs rarely go together, that's why I play Geoguesser in my room all day before marathons.

Upper body strengthwork/core, and 10.5 "miles" pool-running.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Keen: Do it.  I've always said I'll do anything if it gets me a special t-shirt.  But a special buckle?  I'll do twice as much anything.  I've considered that race - I have some history in that state.

DWave: Sleeping on the job again - and admitting it almost gleefully.  Well done on the meting.

Jim's Kat: I like Greg McMillan - met him at CIM once.

Driving By Strava: Cool idea.  Always impressed with people who find/create adventure in unlikely places.

Thank goodness I know about this forum - I find out that the world has something called GeoGuessr that apparently helps with marathon selection.  Speaking of traveling for races, I was just trading email with a friend about how I usually won't travel for anything less than a 100k (with a few exceptions, e.g. Blitzen).  He correctly clarified that I mean "races that take as long as a 100k", like my ~25 mile jaunt last weekend which takes 12-18 hours if you complete the whole 25 (meaning ~33) miles.

I know you are interested:  the scrapes, puncture wounds, and scratches on my legs are almost healed up.  I might have one patch of poison oak rash but it's tiny.  Probably too early to call "all clear" on lyme disease, rocky mountain spotted fever, etc..  I'm pretty sure I did not get eaten by a cougar though, so that's something.

Arvind Balaraman

thank You DW, this is a good list. Project B begins. I was thinking about Myrtle Beach. Only 3-4 hrs driving from my place. Will give it a second thought.

The TURD was actually asleep when you posted that after midnight US east coast time.

But, anyhoo….

Arvind, in my role as Thread Usurper and Ruthless Dictator 2018 (TURD) I find you guilty of explicitly and obliviously invoking the "B-Word."  I hereby sentence you to a PR of at least 5 minutes and a BQ.

(Whew - that was hard.  I hate meting out discipline.).

Suggested races for Arvind to consider: RNR AZ, Myrtle Beach, One City, Shamrock, Glass City, Eugene, Grandma's, Erie, Mohawk-Hudson, Columbus, Baystate, Indy Monumental, Richmond, Philadelphia, CIM, Rehoboth, Kiawah.  Or any of the Tunnel races.

In other news, this thread moves fast, and I can't keep up.  I agree that tourism and marathon PRs rarely go together, that's why I play Geoguesser in my room all day before marathons.

Upper body strengthwork/core, and 10.5 "miles" pool-running.

Arvind Balaraman

I have been using UCAN since Feb of this year and actually like it. I use 2 scoops for all my half and never felt a need to take gels or fuel during the half. I like Orange and Lemon and did not like CRanberry and Chocolate. they tasted like medicine.

I have taken 3 scoops for my long runs 18+ and on my Chicago. I start taking gels after 2:30 hrs. I had a fade in Richmond last year. This year at Chicago, never felt that fade or wall.

ucan...I hate that product because of a tri-podcaster's voice.

Anyone racing this weekend? I'll be putting floors in when rune is out there doing his thing next weekend.

berylrunner

Rick

Beryl - Sounds like a solid week, especially that mid-week 16. Are you planning on continuing with runs like that without fueling?
                                I'm a fan of that myself, and have found that after a few of them the post-run hunger really subsides.

I don't think you're trying to do too much at once. Slowing down easy pace and running continuously go hand-in-hand to me.

I think so.  As long as I have a spare tire which I call a fuel belt, I don't need to fuel with an easy pace.  I think when I start doing the 10 mile tempo runs or hard workouts I will experiment with fuels to see what sits well at a hard effort.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59