2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

pepperjack

pie man

Film festival was fun.  The PCT across Washington State guy seems like he's be someone Max knows.

If you like random drive by adventures I should probably post about my drive to get out here.  I took the non-interstate route most of the way across South Dakota and got to see things like this:

I also wound up crossing the mountains in Utah near Logan which put me above the lake so I audibled and went over the top instead of through SLC.  It was a tiny road with no services and almost no people, but it worked real well.  At one point I just turned off that road and drove up to a interesting rock formation.  Spent 10 minutes exploring and discovered it had a window.  Very appropriate for Utah I must say.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Max - Thanks for the push over the cliff! Is that for both races, or just the big one?
      I think I found out/figured out why Ann DNS'd your last "race". I don't know if you're the podcast type, but Ten Junk Miles released a ~2.5 hour interview with her a week ago. Long Run #66, if you want to give it a listen. Plenty of conversation about some things I don't think she's ever talked about before.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Running Problem

Problem Child

Treadmills are really cool. They can go really fast. I was ready to try this one out, but a few people will get a chance for the 2019 Monday Marathon.

max glad you made it out alive. Hopefully the Poison Oak goes away. I wasn't sure how much was in the area you were at. I can't say I can identify it other than a shiny leaf.

run good luck in Amsterdam. Bib number?

I've had some weird bone/body aches. I skipped a day for errands but my bones seriously felt sore before yesterdays run. Getting old sucks. Also, Chicago Marathon gear is on sale. The jackets were "poopular", but I was too cheap to fork over $135. I totally understand the feeling of seeing finisher jackets prior to the race being run now. I'll wait a day or two to wear the Monday Marathon one when I get it.

Side note....is there a problem/inappropriateness/unacceptability of a non-runner wearing official race merchandise? I had this discussion/thought the other day. If it doesn't say FINISHER I viewed it as similar to wearing the official jersey of your favorite sports team. No, I don't practice with the San Jose Sharks, but I have an official practice jersey. Would it be wrong for a non-runner to wear this shirt during the race weekend similar to a sports jersey? I have never seen a "marathon supporter" shirt for a race, or anything non-participant based.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

What exactly is this jinx? Because if it's about the weather, I can officially say this is not working and maybe you need to say it loud and proud. 3 strikes and you're out 

Brewing - on a similar note, I've seen some people wearing the official Boston jacket that let's just say politely do not have the body type of someone that can run said race.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - I'd take that as kind of a the "sports jersey" thing, but it wouldn't bother me either way.
            Last year I remember seeing the jackets from Botswana in a TJMax or similar place for REALLY cheap. Like $25 cheap.

JMac - Don't underestimate the fundraising it can take to run that race!

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Paging the TURD again.  Cleanup on page 210 - another rules violation.

JMac: The disaster is personal, although too many personal infractions may in fact affect the whole race.  Like the time I was in the airport before the race looking at everyone wearing their Fiery Red jackets that they shouldn't have worn, and then it was like 145 degrees on race day.  A large part of running success is taking these things seriously.  That's why I've already worked my way into the fun 3:20 thread and you are still stuck in the sub-3 thread (except when you come over to poach our people).

Keen: A long race months before your 100 is probably a good idea.  50 miles is long enough to find out whether your shoes will work beyond marathon distance, experiment with nutrition and gear, etc..  Then you can solve those problems, and find out what goes wrong for you beyond 50 miles.  I haven't listened to the podcast but Ann Trason wrote in UltraRunning that she has rheumatoid arthritis.  But according to the RD, she DNS'd because she'd run a 100 the weekend before and finally decided that EBM wasn't an awesome idea after that.

PJ: I know of Christof, but I don't know him.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Seattle - All good points. I may not be in this properly as you've pointed out, but I will continue to try to poach your people 

Keen - Good point, always forget about the charity aspect of it.

I will go back to lurking. But trust me, that word will be said loud and proud over in sub 3, and when we get beautiful weather on April 15, 2019, YOU BETTER COME OVER THERE AND THANK ME.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

JMac: You'd probably get an OTQ if you behaved yourself.  But just go ahead and continue taunting the running gods and be satisfied with your friggin' fast races.

Treadmills are really cool. They can go really fast. I was ready to try this one out, but a few people will get a chance for the 2019 Monday Marathon. 

What a great idea!  Perfect thing for marathon expos.

mattw4jc

max glad you made it out alive. Hopefully the Poison Oak goes away. I wasn't sure how much was in the area you were at. I can't say I can identify it other than a shiny leaf.

"Leaves of three, let them be." I've had my share of poison ivy. It's in my yard and I spray it with a killer when I find it.

I found a bright orange adidas jacket at TJ Maxx once also. I bought it with the full intent of finding someone who had run the race but didn't get a jacket. I was successful and resold at cost (~$35 I think).

pepperjack

pie man

"Leaves of three, let them be." I've had my share of poison ivy. It's in my yard and I spray it with a killer when I find it.

I found a bright orange adidas jacket at TJ Maxx once also. I bought it with the full intent of finding someone who had run the race but didn't get a jacket. I was successful and resold at cost (~$35 I think).

I'm sure NickShawn was grateful for that.

Trail movies inspired me to...run a flat road run.  Oh, well.  Should get some good trail time in the El Dorado Monday.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brewing - on a similar note, I've seen some people wearing the official Boston jacket that let's just say politely do not have the body type of someone that can run said race.

This is what I'm talking about...I have family members who could buy the jacket and "support the team/race" etc. just like a sports event and no one would ever think they ran the race. I personally wouldn't, but I also didn't buy the Chicago jacket because I wasn't impressed with it for $135, and I have a jacket for running.

matt $35 at TJMaxx?!?!? Damn I'd jump all OVER that deal if it was the year I ran. I have heard they're available for less after the race ends but never pay attention.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - You might grudgingly get a "thanks" if there is good weather that day, but if it's bad weather you'll have to take (some of) the blame!

Max - Ann did mention the RA in the interview, along with her experience doing the Hennepin 100, which I figured was what put her out of Euchre. It was nice to have her validate that I was pronouncing that name correctly in my head!
                            What would your going rates be for coaching toward a flat, flyover-country 50 & 100 miler be? Asking for a friend...

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Paging the TURD again.  Cleanup on page 210 - another rules violation.

Unfortunately, this one has diplomatic immunity, since he's a visiting delegate from another thread.

What a great idea!  Perfect thing for marathon expos.

I was thinking the same thing.  Because sprints on a treadmill are perfect last minute marathon prep.

As for non-runners wearing race stuff, I have no problem with it at all.  I'm fine with people wearing shirts for races they haven't run, and do it regularly myself.  If they were wearing a shirt that said "Finisher" and they weren't a finisher of that race, that would be a little different, and odd.  But ultimately doesn't hurt me at all.

Rovatti - in your role as resident NYC resident, could you please yell at NYRR that they need to abandon the "new" NYC half-marathon course that they debuted last year, and revert back to the previous course that started in Central Park and ended in Wall Street?  I'd love to come up and run that race, but not while they're using the "new" course.

12 miles for me this morning.  3 mile warm-up (9:21), then 8K tempo on the track in 32:17 (6:38/6:28/6:27/6:25/6:20).  4 mile cool-down (8:59) plus injury prevention work and recovery swimming.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Rovatti - in your role as resident NYC resident, could you please yell at NYRR that they need to abandon the "new" NYC half-marathon course that they debuted last year, and revert back to the previous course that started in Central Park and ended in Wall Street?  I'd love to come up and run that race, but not while they're using the "new" course.

Yes, the old course was better....I'll have a word with Peter Ciaccia.

(and nice tempo today)