2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

PJ, I love that slope on the east side of the Sierra - Sierras, 3000-4000 feet of whoosh, then the flatlands of Brewland.  I rode down from Monitor Pass (just south of South Lake Tahoe) in an event once - wind down the mountain, go through a creek valley, empty into flatness at 395.

Running Problem

Problem Child

pj sweet view. Good Basque restaurant in your view (JT's in Gardnerville) and I think there was an ultra race around Lake Tahoe when you were in town.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

PJ - Awesome view. There's nothing like that in my AO. Good thing you avoided seeing mama bear.

Max - You've got mail. Thanks!

Registration isn't open for it until December, but I just found out the date of my Bad Idea race doesn't conflict with anything else I already have planned. Assuming things go well for me in November, 2019 could be the Year of the Ultra for me if I can summon enough courage (or temporary insanity) to sign up for a 50mi & 100mi race, and who knows what other "training" races/events.  Now, how do I get UltraSignup to work?...

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

brew- I've been weartesting a future (dunno when) model of the zoom fly, so i doubt my comments on them are 100% applicable to the current version that's out. BUT I like the testers so much that I actually bought a pair of the current (on sale) zoom flys - this current weartest (i've had two back-to-back) ends around thanksgiving, and I've done all my long runs in them, so wanted to make sure I have my race shoes for 12/2 squared away! So I have Zoom Fly (commercial version) in the box at home, actually plan to take for an easy spin tonight to confirm that they are equivalent to the ones I've been wearing.

But anyway - yeah I've been wearing the zoom fly (tester) for long runs, for tempo runs, a whole range of paces. Just not really for very short/fast track stuff. Like them quite a bit.

I haven't run more than 180mi in a single pair - they ask us to send the shoes back after a certain number of weeks. But the ones I've been testing definitely aren't "race onyl" shoes.

Are you considering getting them? They're currently on sale on RWH...

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Running Problem

Problem Child

brew- I've been weartesting a future (dunno when) model of the zoom fly, so i doubt my comments on them are 100% applicable to the current version that's out. BUT I like the testers so much that I actually bought a pair of the current (on sale) zoom flys - this current weartest (i've had two back-to-back) ends around thanksgiving, and I've done all my long runs in them, so wanted to make sure I have my race shoes for 12/2 squared away! So I have Zoom Fly (commercial version) in the box at home, actually plan to take for an easy spin tonight to confirm that they are equivalent to the ones I've been wearing.

But anyway - yeah I've been wearing the zoom fly (tester) for long runs, for tempo runs, a whole range of paces. Just not really for very short/fast track stuff. Like them quite a bit.

I haven't run more than 180mi in a single pair - they ask us to send the shoes back after a certain number of weeks. But the ones I've been testing definitely aren't "race onyl" shoes.

Are you considering getting them? They're currently on sale on RWH...

I did consider them. I went a slightly different direction only because I know nothing about them. I saw two girls wearing the new black/orange in Chicago and did a double take until I remembered kids wearing Jordan's as daily shoes. $100 isn't too bad for a shoe but it's more than I'd want to spend on one pair even with the awesome return policy, and discount code, of RWH. I wasn't sure how long they're supposed to last since all I see on the page of faces is how they last for 200 miles or are only for races, etc. Seems like everyone PRs in them (except one guy) which tells me CIM is the best race ever if I apply the same logic (I have 2 PRs there and no bad days).

EDIT:

keen nice knowing ya. Enjoy the ultra forums. I hear they move slow. Much like ultras.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Brew - I don't believe the Zoom Flys have a limited life span - everyone I know who wears the off-the-shelf ones has gotten the normal 300-500 out of them.  It's the Vaporfly that supposedly was only good for 100 miles.  However my Vaporflys have 140 miles on them currently, and are still fine.  I ran Grandma's with them when they already have over 100 miles.

8 miles very easy (8:49), upper body weights/core, and then 4 more miles (8:38) plus drills+strides.  Perfect weather this morning.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Speed Surplus

Brew - I don't believe the Zoom Flys have a limited life span - everyone I know who wears the off-the-shelf ones has gotten the normal 300-500 out of them.  It's the Vaporfly that supposedly was only good for 100 miles.  However my Vaporflys have 140 miles on them currently, and are still fine.  I ran Grandma's with them when they already have over 100 miles.

8 miles very easy (8:49), upper body weights/core, and then 4 more miles (8:38) plus drills+strides.  Perfect weather this morning.

I'd expect that YMMV, literally, on the Vaporfly shoes though. If you're on the bigger side for a distance runner like me, I wouldn't expect to get a ton of miles out of them.

I'm jealous that RLK has a secret, elite pair of zoom fly shoes...

Also in shoe talk, the Pegasus 34-35 model year change is a big one. The soles of the 35 have that weird tapered end like the Zoom Fly and Vaporfly. I like 'em so far.

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

runethechamp

First of all, thanks for the kind words everyone. Now I just feel slightly annoyed that something like this derailed me when everything else seemed to be near perfect.

rune - sorry to hear about the cramps. From strava you looked so in control and then a very sudden decrease in pace.

Given that the race didn't take that much out of you, are you thinking about another race soon or are you done until next year?

Also, looking forward to hearing about the race itself, as I'd like to run Amsterdam in the future.

So this is the million dollar question right now, can I turn it around and do another one relatively soon (CIM?) since I don't feel the race took that much out of me? My main question is whether what seems like a sore hamstring tendon somewhere at the top, which has felt that way since August, contributed to the cramps. It's sore on the left hand side and that's where the cramps hit first. I don't feel like it has affected me in my workouts, but maybe it did in the race?

Ace - I followed my nutrition plan exactly as planned. Gels every 6 km, alternating between Maurten and SiS. Some water at each water station, ant they were at each 5 km. Took a few small sips, then poured the rest over my head. Only thing I realized was that neither the Maurten nor the SiS gels had electrolytes in them. I guess that could have caused the cramps as well.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

Update: wore the Zoom Fly (regular) tonight for an ez run with some pickups at the end. I like them a lot!!!!! Kinda want to order another pair while they're on sale...  but should test with more than a 7mi run before I start hoarding them too Smile

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

OMR

McBen:  What a horrible thing.  No words.
                      Rune:  Before my PR marathon, I attempted a PR, but started having some issues with my hips around mile 22.  Rather than try to struggle through it, I opted to save myself for another day.  Roughly 17 weeks later, I achieved my goal.  I think that if you really didn't suffer too much from the attempt, it could be perceived as a LR @ MP, and in that sense, be viewed as a workout.  But, that all depends on how your body recovers, and nobody can answer that question but you.  My two cents...if I remember correctly from RWOL, that was worth $0.0016015273.

Max:  I think you said "Hi" about a week ago.  So...    "Hi"

rovatti:  Looks like you are continuing on the road to a return to running.  Good for you!

Hey to everyone.  Last week was an unplanned cutback for me, but hoping to hit 50 this week.

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Rune:

First of all, thanks for the kind words everyone. Now I just feel slightly annoyed that something like this derailed me when everything else seemed to be near perfect.

The marathon in all its glory.  Months of training, tears 9 times out of 10 (except for Darkwave). Ultras/trail races are better.  You can always have a great day no matter what $hit goes down.  Come to the dark side.

JMac: Don't read this and think it's suddenly ok to start poaching our people again...

Pesto

rune - fwiw, I'd give it a try if I were you, provided you're feeling well recovered already. I think 6 weeks between marathons should be definitelty doable, especially if you didn't do the first one all out (I tend to recover quickly, so I may be biased). It may be a good idea to have that tendon checked though.

zoom flys - I got a pair a few months back and haven't been able to run much on them. The few times I took them out, I ended up with some knee pain afterwards (which never happened with other shoes). I wonder why.

McB - sorry for what happened, that's a horrible story. Nice to see you getting some decent mileage.

CK - sub-3:05 sounds like a good goal. From strava your T pace seems crazy fast and the mileage is ridiculous. Looking forward to seeing what you can do in a few weeks time.

ace - hope taper is treating you well! You seem very ready!

5K - 18:03 (5.18) | 10K - 37:58 (2.18) | HM - 1:20:45 (9.18) | FM: 2:57:59 (10.18)

Arvind Balaraman

So this is the million dollar question right now, can I turn it around and do another one relatively soon (CIM?) since I don't feel the race took that much out of me? My main question is whether what seems like a sore hamstring tendon somewhere at the top, which has felt that way since August, contributed to the cramps. It's sore on the left hand side and that's where the cramps hit first. I don't feel like it has affected me in my workouts, but maybe it did in the race?

Ace - I followed my nutrition plan exactly as planned. Gels every 6 km, alternating between Maurten and SiS. Some water at each water station, ant they were at each 5 km. Took a few small sips, then poured the rest over my head. Only thing I realized was that neither the Maurten nor the SiS gels had electrolytes in them. I guess that could have caused the cramps as well.

I can resonate to the feeling Rune. I had the same urge after Chicago. But realized my body needs more recovery, so shunned off another quick marathon this year. Planing to run Myrtle beach next year. This means my marathon training starts in 3 weeks 

runethechamp

McBen - Sorry to heat about your friend   That’s really awful.

Rlk - I really want to try the zoom fly now, but probably with the flyknit upper. I guess my question now is whether they’re worth the price for a training shoe.

Max - I’ve had a lot of fun doing some trail races but haven’t really felt the urge to do any ultras yet. But I will probably try to fit more trail runs into my training schedule this winter and next year.

After a night back in the US I think I need to figure out my hamstring issue before making a decision about another race. Calling a doctor today to see when I can get an appointment (maybe I should have done that 2 months ago ).

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

Running Problem

Problem Child

I'm jealous that RLK has a secret, elite pair of zoom fly shoes...

"And 1". Maybe if we're nice she could introduce us to her friends. I'm sure she NEVER gets asked this. Also, 5'8 170ish. About Max's size.

Jmac you might want to avoid poaching people. max has been called an axe murderer in previous years and I can vouch for the fear it puts in to you. He's kind of larger than life.

rune I'd say go back and read darkwave's posts about multiple marathons. CIM in Decelber is POSSIBLY close enough, however it's also sold out unless you want to pay $275. I think there is a mental aspect of going after another marathon. I'm still in need of one but I'm deciding to take holidays off and do more family time after 4 months of training. I SHOULD keep up with I/R/T paces during the week. Maybe a JD blue plan...also https://smile.amazon.com/NIKE-Zoom-Mens-Running-Shoes/dp/B075965C2D/ref=sr_1_1?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1540397717&sr=1-1&nodeID=7141123011&psd=1&keywords=nike%2Bzoom%2Bfly&th=1&psc=1

rlk buy them. You know you want to. sales plus running shoes equal debt. Thanks for the info on the zooms. I'll see how the Peg 34s work out. I'm not TYPICALLY a Nike supporter. Child labor, stuff made poorly and falls apart. I don't care who works (read: is sponsored by) for them. Have you been a weartester for the Reebok alternative?

dwave thanks, as always, for the clarification. I thought they were all the same as far as distance/miles with the major difference being price (which means fancier/lighter stuff in the more expensive models) and I'm not about to spend $250 for 4%...Maybe 5% though.

VDOT 53.37