2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Rune - like Brewing noted, I have a lot of thoughts about doubling back.  I'll just note:

•  6 weeks between marathons is a really tricky spacing - long enough to lose fitness; too short to train.
      •  The first few days post marathon are not a good time to make decisions.
      •  There's this myth that if something went wrong in one's marathon (i.e. cramping, bonking) and so one ran a slower than expected time, then one should recover quicker.  I would argue just the opposite - the better and smoother your marathon went, the quicker you'll bounce back.  Marathons with a large positive split are very hard on the body.
      • If you have a nagging injury, then doubling back is an even worse idea.

I hope your hamstring heals up!  Also, again, the Zoom Fly and the Vaporfly are very different shoes.  Same general theory (lotsa cushioning and a firm plate) but different materials and different pricing.  The Zoom Fly is not any more expensive than other shoes; it's the Vaporfly that is $250 and has historically been hard to find.

Arvind - you don't need my opinion, but I think Myrtle Beach is a very good choice for you Smile

McBen - my belated sympathies for your loss.  How awful, compounded by the randomness.

14 miles today.  3 warm-up, then 3x2 miles at around 10 mile race effort or slightly harder with half mile jogs - ran 12:50 (6:28/6:22), 12:37 (6:18/6:19) and 12:36 (6:17/6:18)  Also injury prevention/leg strengthwork and recovery swimming.

Have a marathon pace workout on Saturday morning, just in time for the remnants of yet another tropical storm to be hitting DC.  Can't push the workout back to Sunday because Marine Corps Marathon is on Sunday.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

runethechamp

Brew and Dwave - Thanks, just read that post. Status today is that my right leg feels pretty much back to normal while my left hamstring and calf are still pretty sore. It looks like I better take a look at that before I do anything else so I now got an appointment to see a (hopefully) qualified doctor regarding my hamstring issue in a week. Hopefully that can give me some answers and I'll go from there.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

Guyssss I'm not supposed to talk about test shoes on social media, c'mon, help me keep a low profile! :P

rune- wait, do they have zoom fly w/ flyknit upper also? I'm talking about the "cheaper version of 4%s" (which are actually functionally quite different)

ack, good luck with doctor stuff. Yeahh  we always wait too long, out of hope, I think!

arvind- I think you're making the right call. Tough decision to back down, but don't forget that fitness is indeed cumulative. You may not have the result you wanted from this cycle, but your body remembers all the work you put in.

brew- lol. Actually, they only wanted testers who wear W size 8 or M size 10, which strikes me as very myopic. That's like designing clothes to only fit "medium" people and assuming that those smaller and those larger have the same proportions. (Read: women are not small men.)

Yeah, I'm really not a Nike person either. One of my close friends made a comment about that the first time she saw me wearing the (first pair of test) shoes, lol.

I've never worn Reebok shoes. What is their alternative?

I wore the Zoom Fly for 12mi medium pace this morning and still liked them a lot, though the back of the heel collar rubbed my achilles a bit (but that may have been residual from new flats (not for running) I've worn to work this week). So yah I might buy another. Shoe hoarder extraordinaire.

PS. a good read, especially for those reflecting on marathons...  https://www.gotracktownusa.com/inside_track/2018/10/alexi-pappas-lessons-learned-from-my-first-marathon/

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

runethechamp

rlk - Yes, the flyknit version of the zoom fly was released a little bit before the new vaporfly. $160.

Dwave - Thanks again for the advice. Regarding price I was referring to that new flyknit version of the zoom fly which seems to sell for $160. When I can get NB Beacons or Bostons for $120 or less it's enough of a price difference that I might care about it 

Getting back into it

Arvind Balaraman

I totally agree with this. When I ran Richmond last year without any cramps, I was able to recover ina  week. I ran 2 half marathons in 10 days of the marathon. With cramps in Chicago, I feel my body needs more time for recovery. Not to mention that I got an year older

Rune - like Brewing noted, I have a lot of thoughts about doubling back.  I'll just note:

•  6 weeks between marathons is a really tricky spacing - long enough to lose fitness; too short to train.
              •  The first few days post marathon are not a good time to make decisions.
              •  There's this myth that if something went wrong in one's marathon (i.e. cramping, bonking) and so one ran a slower than expected time, then one should recover quicker.  I would argue just the opposite - the better and smoother your marathon went, the quicker you'll bounce back.  Marathons with a large positive split are very hard on the body.
              • If you have a nagging injury, then doubling back is an even worse idea.

AceHarris

$160 feels like a lot for running shoes, when I typically pay anywhere between 80-120 depending on sales, etc. More folks in our training group are using the vaporfly and having good results, but no different than the overall trend in the group. Everyone seems to be setting PRs. Also, I think my wife would object to spending anymore than I already do on running.

RLK: enjoyed the marathon reflection by Pappas. It was nice to hear an elite runner express the same emotions we've all had during a marathon. I've been on a few Brooks wear testing programs. It's kind of fun unless the shoe sucks. I had one from them where they adjusted the forefoot with way too much cushion! Otherwise the free shoes were great and I only had to return one pair.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

What does everyone use for running jackets? I'm specifically in the market for something wind and water resistant - not proof. I'd like something with a pretty slim/close to the body fit. So far I've been able to try a couple from Mizuno, and a couple from Brooks and they all suffered from the same issue - one size fits my body but the sleeves are too short, and the next size up has the right sleeves but is too loose. Any suggestions, aside from buying both sizes and going all Dr. Frankenstein on them?

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

runethechamp

Keen, You could buy the larger jacket and take it to a tailor or dry cleaner who does alterations and have it modified. I have a really skinny guy in the office who does this all the time (including with a soft shell jacket we got through work).

Getting back into it

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Jim's Kat: (talks about wear-testing shoes, on social media)

Us: (refer to said shoes)

Jim's Kat (gets all ragey about the shoe conversation on social media)

Brew: It's not ultras that are slow, it is ultra runners that are slow.  Thanks for pitching my axe murder cred to keep JMac in check.

Rune: It's hard to argue with those who say a double won't work.  If you recover quickly and really did pull the plug early, sometimes it will work.  If you didn't actually pull the plug, but are pretending, you'll end up being disappointed.  But disappointment is normal for a marathon, so there is little downside.

Keen: For running jackets, just gain some weight - cheaper than using Rune's tailor.  You're welcome, and all my advice is as good this bit here.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

Haha, max is extra sarcastic these days

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Jim's Kat: The times call for extra sarcasm.  It gives me a break from weeping.

Running Problem

Problem Child

rlk I’m a 10.5 if you ever needed to know. . I believe it’s the flow ride or something along those lines. White and green shoes.i think they rival the expensive Nikes.

Keen I have a $100 North Face shell. Not insulated but wind and water proof. I also have a $130 brooks jacket I found on clearance for $20. It has better darkness reflective stuff than the north face jacket because it’s more running specific. It also has a phone pocket which is handy for long runs especially with mobile payment options being a thing. For me water protection is worth the money. I had a cheap windbreaker once and it sucked for a long run in the rain. Fat heavy rain. Getting heavier is very possible during marathon training. I know from experience.

Thankfully not sick and floor removal begins in about 18 hours. Hopefully it goes better than my last race. As for time it probably ends up being a 48 hour race which puts max hot on my heels if I go out too fast.  He is kind of good at being exactly where he needs to be when he needs to be there...like an axe murderer would be.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

CK - I have an awesome Nike Jacket that I wear when it's less than 25 degrees - it's the Nike Shield Flash.  (Women's version here: https://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/NKL1680/?_requestid=127148)   I think there's a men's version also.

It is unquestionably expensive, but it's taken me down to low single digits comfortably (I just delay my run if it's negative air temperature, since we never have a day with a high below 0).   The reflective panel is massive and works well.

I also have a cycling rain jacket that I'll race in if I ever face Boston 2018 conditions again.  I've come to the conclusion that cyclists are far better than runners at dressing for multiple hours of hard exercises in a range of temperature extremes.

12 miles very easy (9:01), drills, strides, and upper body weights/core.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

mattw4jc

I rarely wear an actual jacket for running, usually just layers. My best running type jacket is Adidas and had a unicorn on the back. It's been on a couple of runs,

Biking to work is a different story requiring layers and a soft shell jacket. When it's below freezing it is tricky to balance riding harder to stay warm vs going faster and creating a bigger wind chill.

pepperjack

pie man

I went down to Lake Sonoma with the Healdburg running co and did a Friday night headlamp trail run.  It was a lot of fun, got myself in a bit of trouble trying to max out the miles.  Fortunately right as I was being dropped came across the shorter folks turning around and got to latch on with them.  I wouldn’t have fared so great on my own, I haven’t been there in the light yet.   Beer and socializing after, really reminds me of the situation back home, which was nice.

Guy breaking the half record this morning wearing nike’s I preume?  Two world records in a span of six weeks.  Prettty incredible.  Almost ‘unbelievable.’

11:11 3,000 (recent)