2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

Guy breaking the half record this morning wearing nike’s I preume?  Two world records in a span of six weeks.  Prettty incredible.  Almost ‘unbelievable.’

I think he's wearing vaporflys.  Yes, hard to believe.

My week:  still slow, but more comfortable.  less drama per mile

M: 7 easy

T: 6 with track intervals: 6 x 800@3:02 (with 200 recoveries)

W: 10 easy

Th: 1h XT

F: 12 (with 7 trips over the Williamsburg Bridge)

S: 10 easy

S: 7 easy

total = 52

OMR

rovatti:  We were on fall break last week, so I also had a week with less drama.  ;-)

My week...

M:  8 @ 9:10

T:  8 @ 9:53 on the trails

W:  4 @ 9:19

T:  5 @ 9:57

F:  8 @ 9:52

S:  5 @ 8:54

S:  12 @ 8:58

Total:  50.  Starting to think about races for 2019.  Thinking of targeting Kettle Moraine 100 in June, then the Door County Fall 50 in October, and maybe a return to the Black Canyon 100K and a marathon in 2020.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Guy breaking the half record this morning wearing nike’s I preume?  Two world records in a span of six weeks.  Prettty incredible.  Almost ‘unbelievable.’

I think he's wearing vaporflys.  Yes, hard to believe.

I think this point would be more compelling if the Vaporfly had very recently come available to elites.  Instead of, y'know, being available for over two years (you will recall that several athletes wore them at the 2016 Olympics...)

My week: 64 miles running plus 26 "miles" pool-running.

M: yoga and 8 "miles" of pool-running.
          T: 8 miles very easy (8:49), upper body weights/core, then another 4 miles very easy (8:38) plus drills and strides.
          W: 14 miles, including 3x3200 in 12:50 (6:28/6:22), 12:37 (6:18/6:19), and 12:26 (6:17/6:18) (half mile recovery between each).  Also injury prevention/leg strength work and recovery swimming.
          Th: 4 "miles" pool-running, then yoga, then another 9 "miles" pool-running.
          F: 12 miles very easy (9:01), drills and strides, and upper body weights/core.

Sa: 17 miles, including 2x5 miles at MP in 33:32 (6:43) and 33:52 (6:47). Also injury prevention/leg strength work and recovery swimming.

Su: 9 miles intermittent (9:01), as I cheered at Marine Corps Marathon.  Later did 5 "miles" of pool-running.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

I think this point would be more compelling if the Vaporfly had very recently come available to elites.  Instead of, y'know, being available for over two years (you will recall that several athletes wore them at the 2016 Olympics...) 

I'm suspicious (as usual) about actual doping.  I'm still ambivalent about whether Vaporflys should be allowed, as I feel they give an advantage.

This week I ran on the TM in the Nike store: Vaporfly, Zoomfly, Pegasus turbo, Pegasus 35, Epic react.

I bought the Epic react (as I just needed a cushioned trainer).  The Zoomfly is too narrow for my foot.  Both Pegasus were nice.  The Vaporfly was in a different category with that diving board action.   For a chance to buy Vaporflys, you can line up in front of the Nike store on Nov 1 (before they open) and hope your size is still left.   IF I ever get in shape to run a good 1/2M again, I'll probably get them (as I can afford it and they are legal).

Strict WTF adherent

Keen - a word on North Face jackets: The zippers are garbage. They'll fix them for free (multiple times, even). But that's still a pain.

I don't believe the vaporfly exists in my size. So I won't be setting any WRs soon, I guess.

My week:

Mon - 5.2 easy and weights

Tues - 5.2 with 1/2/3/2/1/2/3 min hard and weights

Wed - 5 easy

Thurs - 4 easy

Fri - 5.3 progression and weights

Sat - 3.3 easy

Sun - 10 easy

Total: 38. No unexpected pains. More progress.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Keen - a word on North Face jackets: The zippers are garbage. They'll fix them for free (multiple times, even). But that's still a pain.

I don't believe the vaporfly exists in my size. So I won't be setting any WRs soon, I guess.

Keen Here. Don't trust this guy...he doesn't even run much. The jacket works for being waterproof. I've run in a rainstorm and the only moisture inside the jacket was sweat. It has velcro wrists and an elastic waistband you can tighten. It offers ZERO insulation. It doubles as an outer shell for me during fall where we can have 30 degree temp changes and moisture fall from the sky.

vaporflys are just a really expensive way to give credit to something OTHER than training. I would have probably still had a crappy day but claimed my 3:37 was due to Nike's wonder shoe if I had worn them in October. "I probably would have run a 4:00 marathon in any other shoe" just seems to fit the PR claims with Nikes.

Rovatti What differences did you notice in all those Nikes? My Pegasus 34s just showed up and I just found out the 35s are very different.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

DWave - I actually did go in to a cycling store Friday to look at jackets. They were kind of in-between seasons and didn't have anything that was just what I was looking for, but the fit of what I tried on was pretty spot-on. The Euros do like their slim fit stuff. The only "downside" is that they are all cut short at/above the waist and long in the back, but of course that's just from a running point-of-view. I checked the website of the manufacturer of my "favorite" jacket there and think I found one that might work.
                  Also, nice week.

Rovatti - Great progress.

McB - Great for you, too!

Brew - Thanks for the link. The pit zips make that more compelling. I'm loving that companies are now including the height/weight of the models and what size they're wearing.

Full-on training is now in the bag and I'm starting my taper! The M-pace(ish) LR Saturday was tough, but certainly doable. Even at the end of a pretty big week I felt that I could have kept that up for at least another couple miles before starting to feel "undue" stress. HR didn't get to/consistently stay at what I'd expect for a marathon until ~mile 10. No issues with taking gels every ~5 miles + Endurolytes at the hour mark.

My younger brother was kind enough to wake up super-early to ride his bike alongside me to serve as a rolling water stop, so I didn't have to carry it myself or stop at a fountain.

I still can't do math while running. I was planning on 14 miles, and "did the math" in my head to figure out my turn-around mileage to get me back to my start spot at 14 miles (started doing math at mile 10.75). Down the road a bit I realized that my initial math was wrong, and that I needed to turn around a bit earlier than I originally figured. Even that modified turnaround was off by 1/4 mile! I kept running after hitting 14 just because I didn't want to walk the extra 1/2 mile back to the car.

Weekly Summary
                  Monday, Oct 22, 2018 thru Sunday, Oct 28, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                  Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
                  Mon 15.5 7:21 Daniels 3T + 5x 2min I + 1T 146 (74%) strava
                  Tue 12.1 8:03 5 rabbits, some serenading coyotes, and an owl catching a mouse 135 (69%) strava
                  Wed 10.1 8:04 Deer tracks in the dew and running on reserve headlamp power 137 (70%) strava
                  Thu 13.3 7:27 Daniels 5E, 2x 2T 146 (74%) strava
                  Thu 4.1 8:18 No hobby jogger reservoir loop for me! - NYC 128 (65%) strava
                  Fri 10.6 8:21 Following the fog back in to town 134 (68%) strava
                  Sat 14.5 6:55 Daniels 14.5M. Testing the race kit and nutrition plan. 158 (81%) strava
                    80.2 7:40      

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

AceHarris

Well, I'm antsy as hell...5 days!!

Of course this week at work we are starting to see more Flu. I've been wearing a mask most of the day.

Like I said earlier, I don't see myself paying $250 for a pair of shoes, but I'm still a little torn on whether I care if others wear them or not. Maybe I'll have a stronger opinion after the race this weekend. One of my training partners is racing it and we are very similar in pace and training. I have a little more marathon experience, but he has plenty of speed.  He's racing in the vapors. If he beats me, I'll just blame it on the shoes.  He wore them in a track workout the other day and it was interesting that I could tell a difference in his gait. It did look "springier".

This was a nice distraction, back to feeling antsy

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Speed Surplus

"What differences did you notice in all those Nikes? My Pegasus 34s just showed up and I just found out the 35s are very different."

I've done, like, the past ~750 miles in two pairs of 34s, and maybe 50 miles on a new pair of 35s.

The 35s look really different, but don't feel too different when the rubber meets the road. Maybe a bit lighter and more responsive?

One thing is for sure, the shoelaces have been terrible on all of them. The last pair with decent shoelaces was the 33.

My week, not great for running and a bunch of fake bicycling again.

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                      Day Miles Pace Duration Description HR Egain Link
                      Mon 18.6 3:27 1:04 Super foggy and misty 117 (64%) 1038 strava
                      Mon 18.6 3:05 0:57 No run today, so I put some oomph into it 131 (71%) 796 strava
                      Tue 18.6 3:25 1:03 Very easy, saving myself for a good lunch run hopefully 111 (60%) 1027 strava
                      Tue 6.0 8:34 0:51 Didn't have as much energy as expected. I'll get 'em tomorrow 140 (76%) 141 strava
                      Wed 8.9 8:07 1:12 EZ mile/MED mile alternating ~7:23, 7:17, 7:14, 7:14 140 (76%) 212 strava
                      Thu 18.6 3:13 1:00 Rainy ride test 116 (63%) 787 strava
                      Fri 18.5 3:21 1:02 Rainy and huge winds 129 (70%) 1036 strava
                      Fri 18.6 3:05 0:57 Turned out to be a nice ride 130 (71%) 800 strava
                      Sun 9.3 8:26 1:18 Sprinkly 15k-ish 146 (79%) 239 strava
                        135.7 4:10 9:27     6076

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Anyone (Paging Ilana!) care to hazard a guess at what I can run for the marathon?

1) Recent PRs: 5k PR 9/1 - 18:54. Most recent quality HM was 1:28:01 in April (too old to be useful). HM from October was hilly and hot/humid - 1:34Tight lippedx (not indicative of fitness). Big M-pace workout at the end of last week Here. Similar terrain to my goal marathon, except with no 200' drop in the first mile. HR got to what I've historically averaged for a marathon at ~mile 10, which is about the same as for my current PR marathon. 
                        2)Mileage:
                        Weekly mileage for past 15 weeks (old to recent):
                        75.58 (18:54 5k PR at the end of this week, had some gas left)
                        38.29 (sick, missed 80% of one workout)
                        49.48 (sick, missed one workout completely)
                        Total mileage: 1,095.59. Weekly avg: 73. Should hit ~70 miles during first week of taper as well. 
                        All but one week at at least one run of 15+ miles, many with 2-3 of such distance. 10 runs of 17.5 miles or greater, including 3x 20's.

2.1) Using Daniels with 2 quality workouts per week, plus the occasional LR with quality.
                        3) White River Marathon, Nov. 17. Quite flat on paved river trail, multiple out-and-back. Only "hill" is ~200' drop in first ~1/2 mile.
                        4) 3.5 year running life, started in July 2016
                        4.1) Marathon+ races: 3:35 April 2016, 3:17 Nov. 2016, 3:19 April 2017, 50k May 2017 (6 hour race, unknown exact 50k split)
                        5) 34, male
                        6) Whatever keeps my HR in zone 2 (based on resting HR and measured max HR), unless doing quality work in the LR. Typically 8:10-8:30/mi.
                        7) Goal - Strong race towards the top-end of my abilities, without risking a blow-up and missing a BQ for 2020 (3:05 for 2020).

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Anyone (Paging Ilana!) care to hazard a guess at what I can run for the marathon?

So...  I'm not Ilana, but my sense is that you and I are in similar shape, and I think that sub-3 is realistic for me.  I do have a bit more experience at the distance than you do, though (I think).

My question for you is: what did your training and HM times look like when you ran the 3:16 and 3:17?

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

berylrunner

Rick

80 miles.

S 4.5

M 3.5

T 9 with occasional strides

W am 9 progression with mile 8 at 6:54

W pm 5

T 4

F am 4.5 trail on the Javelina Jundred course

F pm beer mile 10:20. 3rd place

S am 10 miles.  Couldn't just sit around.

S pm 29.5 miles pacing a friend.  Mostly hiking.

Continuing to this week, 29 miles pacing early Sunday  and the travel.  I am pretty worn out after the party and I was planning on racing a half this Saturday.   Will have to see how the next few days go.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

Speed Surplus

Keen: What do you think you could run for 5k and a half right now, given a taper and perfect conditions?

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

pepperjack

pie man

My week: 64 miles running plus 26 "miles" pool-running.

M: yoga and 8 "miles" of pool-running.
                                T: 8 miles very easy (8:49), upper body weights/core, then another 4 miles very easy (8:38) plus drills and strides.
                                W: 14 miles, including 3x3200 in 12:50 (6:28/6:22), 12:37 (6:18/6:19), and 12:26 (6:17/6:18) (half mile recovery between each).  Also injury prevention/leg strength work and recovery swimming.
                                Th: 4 "miles" pool-running, then yoga, then another 9 "miles" pool-running.
                                F: 12 miles very easy (9:01), drills and strides, and upper body weights/core.

Sa: 17 miles, including 2x5 miles at MP in 33:32 (6:43) and 33:52 (6:47). Also injury prevention/leg strength work and recovery swimming.

Su: 9 miles intermittent (9:01), as I cheered at Marine Corps Marathon.  Later did 5 "miles" of pool-running.

Do you think Kipchoge wouldn't have set the record in 2016 if there wasn’t an Olympics (or the next year if he didn’t do the silly sub2 extravaganza)?

Mostly I wanted to comment because I admit I was a little swayed when you countered that the world record wasn’t run wearing the shoes.  But that’s no longer the case on multiple accounts.

11:11 3,000 (recent)