2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

Oh this site still exists! Ran my 4th marathon a couple weeks ago, and first in 4 years. I was gunning for 3:20. Realized at the start line that I wasn't wearing my watch, so ran by feel. At mile 20, I was sure I wasn't going to continue my streak of always running the fastest marathon of my life (3:37, 3:31, 3:26 at this point). Every time the legs wanted to seize, I just kept going! At mile 24 I knew I would beat my time as long as I kept running. Crossed at 3:24 and change. Makes me feel confident that marathon 5 will be the fastest of my life. No need to reply, I probably wont be back for a while. Too much effort remembering to log all my runs in here.

Running Problem

Problem Child

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! JMAC for the win. Bonus points if you get control of the 2019 thread.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

dwave Interesting type of horse race. I bet it's pretty high steaks. Do you get to set the price when you enter the race? Also, have you ever participated in a "Ride and Tie" event? There is a world championship out here and I'm sure you'd excel with your previous riding experience.

Yeah  - claims races are actually the bottom of the barrel in horse racing.  The price is the same for all horses entered - something like $15K.  (cheap for a racehorse).  If you're interested, there's more info here.  It's basically a way to keep a horse race competitive - nobody's going to enter a horse worth more than the claiming price.

As for ride and tie, I have a teammate who does that.  My issue is that it combines two things I dislike - trail running and trail riding.  Smile  I like my horses in a ring and my races on the roads.

PJ - where did you see that info about the others who ran fast halves?  Did they all run at Valencia?

Also, it will be interesting to see what Lagat wears in NYC on Sunday for his debut.  I understand that he tried the VF during breaking 2 and did not feel they worked well with his gait, so he's been racing in the Streak.

Beryl - I would go for the PR.

Rune - take care of that high hamstring stuff - that is NOT an injury to mess around with (it took me out for a long time).  I found stretching the hip flexors (not the hamstrings) and strengthening the glutes to be invaluable.

Hi to all the rest.

+++

Yoga and 10 "miles" pool-running in the morning.  Did another 4 "miles" pool-running mid-day for the heck of it.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

OMR

Ace:  I'll hop on the sub-3 train as well.

Keen:  Awesome cycle for you, I think you're close as well, but I agree with others that you may be one cycle away...and that you should go for what is most important.

rune:  Sorry to hear.  Injuries suck.  Hope you can get back to it in 3 months (or less).

beryl:  Agree with Brew & ilana:  PR attempt if the weather is good.

runnershigh:  Congrats (oh, but you probably won't see this since you won't be back).

AceHarris

Thanks for the encouraging predictions!

Bib # is 3115 if you have nothing to do Saturday morning. Race start is 8:00 EST.

My oldest (4 y/o) tonight said, "I hope you win your race. I hope it's easy." That's some great encouragement if you ask me! I hope it's easy too.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

pepperjack

pie man

It was a runners world page, oddly enough:

https://www.runnersworld.com/races-places/a20854746/these-are-the-worlds-fastest-half-marathoners/

Three at Valencia, two others this year at RAK (in UAE, I guess) and Berlin Half.  Is Kamworor not going to wear them either?  I saw his comments about the shoes.   Should be interesting, regardless.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

"It's cool that there are a couple people here flirting with sub-3 in the near future."

I'm not flirting with it, but I have a poster of it up on my bedroom wall like a horny teenager.

This is one of the greatest lines I've ever read here!

Max - "Looks like training". That's a good one!

Ace - That's always the best kind of encouragement! Good luck tomorrow.

My biggest ultra plans are in danger already. No sooner did I mention it to my family than my dad mentioned that he's been trying to plan an Alaskan moose trip with my brother, uncle, & cousin - which of course would possibly overlap from my biggest training weeks to the race itself. This is what I get for trying to plan ahead.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

darkwave

Mother of Cats

It was a runners world page, oddly enough:

https://www.runnersworld.com/races-places/a20854746/these-are-the-worlds-fastest-half-marathoners/

Three at Valencia, two others this year at RAK (in UAE, I guess) and Berlin Half.  Is Kamworor not going to wear them either?  I saw his comments about the shoes.   Should be interesting, regardless.

Got it - but where was the original LR statement that you referred to?  I couldn't find it.

I know you said they were all Nike, but a) were they all wearing the VF (granted most do) and b) keep in mind that (again) Nike sponsors a lot of very fast Kenyans.

As for the weather at Kipchoge's races in the VF - absolutely London 2018 wasn't great, and neither was Rio.  But London 2016 appears to have been good weather.  And I remember that Berlin wasn't bad weather last year - I had several friends run it that year.  Interestingly, one friend ran Berlin in 2017 and 2018 - in 2017 this person ran just barely over 2:46; then came back this year to knock about 75 seconds off that time and run high 2:44s.  2017 said person wore the Adios, and their training cycle was interrupted by an injury scare.  2018 they had a full training cycle and wore the VF.  So was the extra 75 seconds due to supposed weather conditions, the VF, or the better training cycle?  I think we'll never know....

Because I really do enjoy debating this topic (honestly, I think it's a fun discussion) - I found Brad Hudson's discussion interesting (http://www.letsrun.com/news/2018/11/gotta-shoes-des-linden-molly-huddle-discuss-nikes-vaporfly-4-running-shoe-arms-race/).

[Also some poor judgment in his statements about Saucony….].

Huddle and many other elites say that the shoes don't really make a difference and it's possible to win without them, but of course they need to think that way....

Ace - good luck!!!!  I've got my last 21 tomorrow, so I can't track, unfortunately.

12 miles very easy (9:04), drills, strides, upper body weights/core.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

runethechamp

Go Ace go!

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

runethechamp

I’m kind of late to the tracking but Ace is looking strong through 30k passing at 2:07:01. Slight increase in pace at every split.

Getting back into it

runethechamp

2:57:18! Way to go, incredible time!

Getting back into it

Pesto

Great job ace!!!! Amazing time, and from what I could see, a negative split of about 2 minutes I think. Huge congrats!

5K - 18:03 (5.18) | 10K - 37:58 (2.18) | HM - 1:20:45 (9.18) | FM: 2:57:59 (10.18)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Wavy to go, Ace!!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

OMR

Congrats, Ace!!  Amazing run!

Arvind Balaraman

hearty congrats Ace