2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Tunnel: Registration for next year's races starts on Nov 19 for anyone interested.  As Clever mentioned, the price has gone up so maybe they won't sell out as quickly as they have recently.  Or maybe the BQ changes will make them sell out faster.

Downhill race: You have to train for them to get the benefit.  Long downhills, pushing a little bit, not coasting.  You want a run/workout every ~3 weeks that makes your quads sore for a day or two afterwards (at least the first 2-3 times you do it, after that you are "immune"/trained for the wear-and-tear).  If you are trained, it's pretty friggin' awesome to go at marathon effort and run downhill on a 2-4% grade.

Wunderkind: A guy named Dmitri that no one knows.  He's a soccer player/coach.  A friend (who I guess is a pretty famous ex-Sounders player - Roger Levesque) is a totally kick-ass ultra runner, sub-elite, so I fear soccer players.  Today's wunderkind workout was 10x800 meters at 5:30/mile.  Not the workout I'd recommend 10 days before a marathon or a 24 hour race, and only 30-60 seconds/mile faster than all his recent easy running.  That said, there is a slight chance he knows more about his own goals/plans than I do (since I've never met or talked to him - even in a running forum).  Maybe his goal race is a marathon in January, and Crooked Road is a fun run that he'll probably win anyway.

Darkwave: I've been pool running on-and-off for several years.  Lately it's been a way to do a little more work without impact but I also think it helps me recover - gentle pressure/massage on my legs.  I usually get out of the pool feeling better.  And I solved the problem of "predatory chatters" by tucking a music player under my hat and listening to music.  If some (nice) person tries to start an inane conversation with me I just point to the headphones.  When you are a misanthrope in an enclosed space, you have to get creative.

Beryl: My tapers are steep - pretty high volume until two weeks out, then ~60% the next week, and then not much the last week.  I think Ilana talks about the short twitch taper (longer, more gradual) and the slow twitch (short and steep).  Slow twitch usually works for me, although for a goal marathon where small amounts of time matter I'd probably reduce a little 3 weeks out.

Since Sir Jim doesn't come by much lately, I can say this - yesterday wasn't a bad day.

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Oh yeah, speaking of friggin' awesome, go see Free Solo if you haven't.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

Oh yeah, speaking of friggin' awesome, go see Free Solo if you haven't.

+1000000

yesterday wasn't a bad day, indeed

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew - you need 3:05 for Boston, right? Or actually 3:03 or :04? Would you consider a last chance type of marathon in September? 

Depends how close I am. If I'm at 3:10 probably not. If I was 3:06 or 3:07, I'd be more inclined to max a credit card for travel and hotel to go for it. I think the higher mileage helped me "recover" better and feel better by the end of the race regardless of run/walking a bit and coasting the second half.  I'm still trying to not be lazy and do some body weight workouts but I find too many excuses (4 am is too early) to justify not doing it.

sc the only problem with a July marathon is it kind of extends in to summer where DW would want to have spent some time doing stuff other than marathon training. The advantage to Portland is DW has a friend who lives there so I could possible get the green light. I'm not sure I'm ready for another pancake flat course. They're kind of boring. In a "running a marathon sucks" kind of way.

max Thanks for the input. I'll have to look in to the long downhill workouts. Even CIM could potentially benefit from prolonged downhill running at race pace.  Maybe that soccer player thinks the time in aid stations doesn't count and ends up being "extra time" like in a soccer match.

keen yeah OKC is the one I looked at. Does your company want to sponsor, and provide travel accommodations, for an out of town guy you kind of know online. I'm not an axe murderer.

I had some "coworkers" (they work on the same floor, different department/bureau) talk to me while I was microwaving lunch after a run. They asked "didn't you just run a race?"

"yeah. Chicago marathon. (short story. 3:37 is a respectable time. I didn't die)"

"How far is that one? Neither of us is a runner"

*thinking* ah they get a pass. They at least admitted they know nothing about marathons

"26.2 miles."

shocked faces.

Imagine MY face when they DIDN'T say "I know someone who once ran a 5K."

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

AceHarris

brew: sorry about feeling in a funk, that’s never a fun place to be. I hope things turn around soon. We have a great marathon here in Knoxville in March, but it is by no means fast.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Rock and roll nashville and rock and roll Vegas have a double medal. Something about music. Maybe when I start doing the 50 states thing or want another birthday gift. Blue Ridge is on the list for the buckle.

brew: sorry about feeling in a funk, that’s never a fun place to be. I hope things turn around soon. We have a great marathon here in Knoxville in March, but it is by no means fast.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - My company is typically pretty stingy with OPEX, so that's probably out. Unless you can get hired on and start in the next month or so! I might be able to help with accommodations, or at least know some people who could entertain DW and NeRP should they come along.
                I actually just discovered the Chisholm Trail Marathon in Wichita and am giving some thought to running it. Double-loop course, pretty flat and straight. Being in late March instead of late April the weather could be better than OKC, but this would be the inaugural year which could have its own hiccups.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Brewing - sorry about the funk - I know the post-race depression blues very well.  FWIW, I've found that just jumping into a random race (5K or something) is the best cure.

CK - that race actually looks interesting - I was checking out the half - $1000 for first place female (and nothing for second...?).

6 "miles" pool-running and light upper body weights/core plus DIY yoga.  Got the Richmond half-marathon on Saturday as my tune-up for CIM.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

mattw4jc

A couple of weeks ago I considered jumping into the local marathon to see what I could do. I didn't. But last night I signed up for next year. Super early bird / cheapest price expiring at midnight and such.

Shopping around for a 50 week training plan...

Strict WTF adherent

Just a quick skim ... so now Max is doing pool running ultras?

Agreed on Free Solo. I've never experienced that much anxiety during a movie, despite knowing how it ends.

The half last weekend went fine. Didn't hurt myself. Jogged, walked water stops and took some pictures to finish in 1:55 with very consistent splits.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

DWave - I hadn't checked the half payouts, but now that I did it does look strange that the HM only pays first man/woman while prizes go 3 deep all around for the full. Too bad I haven't raced much lately or I could submit times to see if they'd qualify me as an elite. HA!
                        Good luck in Richmond tomorrow.

Matt - Way to plan ahead! I just tried planning a year ahead and it immediately started to blow up on me.

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

The funk is gone. Unsure what it was other than annoying. I then ripped my shorts during a run yesterday so I cut it short....no pun intended. It's only the second or third time I've had the liner of my shorts tear during a run. The second time I almost instantly knew what it was. A bad day.

dwave I'm not sure of any races nearby other than a turkey trot and I'm semi-enjoying not racing and eating/drinking/sleeping a lot more.  Good luck this weekend.

rlk I was thinking about you the other day. What's the goal for this December?

VDOT 53.37 

mattw4jc

I have a couple of friends doing the full at Richmond tomorrow. I found this on the Richmond website. Pretty funny.

Pickle Juice Stop added to marathon course

While we all relish the challenge of the marathon, no runner should have to dill with leg cramps during a race. That’s why we’ve adding a Pickle Juice Stop at Mile 23 on the marathon course. We’re not gherkin your chain when we say that research suggests pickle juice helps relieve muscle cramps. Don't worry, we’ll have volunteers on hand to make sure you don’t mistakenly grab a cup of pickle juice instead of water. And if you find that cue cumbersome, there will also be signage to alert you.
                            CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - Hooray for the funk being gone! Both the mood, and the music. I have no idea how you have such a wardrobe malfunction.

Matt - Hehe. Quite punny.

Am I the only combination runner/chess nerd around here?? The World Chess Championship started today - I'm quite impressed at how it now looks like Caruana has somehow survived the middlegame in time pressure against Carlsen in game 1. Running translation: Molly Huddle looked like she was going to get dropped by Mary Keitany before the half, but somehow has kept close by mile 22.

Upcoming Races:

Katia77

Still reading now and then just not running too much! Huge congrats to Ace on the sub-3!

My calf seems healed just in time for a total weight gain of 10 lbs, mostly centered in my belly.   I'm shooting for grand things like 5 mpw, but mostly just getting outside these days.  I did sign up for the Chicago marathon in 2019, mostly bc I make poor life choices and I don't think I want to convince DH to have a third baby, so why not?

PRs: HM: 1:32:59 (2015); FM: 3:18:36 (2017)