2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

kk- yay chicago goals, and happy weight gain! glad to hear things are going well

brew- Smile well, immediate goal is to run outside this weekend (ugh).

december? well, coach keeps talking about "3 hours" and has clarified by referencing "6:52s", but he is an idealist and i am a realist so i'm really not going to shoot for that. I feel like as usual I don't have great data going on that helps me pinpoint MP. Due to new training style this time, I haven't done any traditional "MP workouts". I don't think I complained about it on here, but I ran a shitty half 2 weeks ago. Shitty racing style on my part, but also shitty course for trying to hit a time (super sharp/chaotic turns, but mostly the FOUR miles of XC style gravel/dirt path). I went out in ~6:46s and felt awesome until my energy just sunk into the gravel/dirt, my glutes felt really funky after that patch, couldnt pick up my feet, etc. Ran a tiny PR  but still not what I was hoping for (1:28-29).

That said, I am quite certain I can run a 3:10 or under. It seems silly to keep setting goals, not hitting them, but still setting a faster goal the next time (goal of 3:18 at Chicago 2015 -> 3:21, goal of 3:15 at CIM 2017 -> 3:19), but here I am. So I'll probably start at 3:10 pace and make sure it really feels easy through like 16mi, or I might back off a bit. Really would like to feel like a human being in control of her body during that last 10k.

thanks for asking! and glad your post-race sadz seems to have passed.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

darkwave

Mother of Cats

KK - good to see you back.  And that goes for you as well, RLK.  Sorry about the tough half-marathon.  But...in marathon training, there's exactly one day that counts.  And that race sounds like a set up for failure.

Ran my tune-up half yesterday.  Ran 84:22 - race report is here.

So...that should indicate sub-3 fitness.  I'm a bit worried, just because I felt almost too sharp and fresh for this race - 3 days from today is the day that really matters.  I don't think I've peaked too soon, given the short cycle.  I just hope this isn't an indication that I have more speed than strength.

OTOH, it's nice to set a half PR during a marathon cycle - that doesn't happen often for me, and means that the cycle has already been worth it.

In pertpetuance of the VF 4% discussion, I now have some data points for you.  I have a teammate who runs virtually the exact same times as me when we're both in shape.  It's not by design - we have completely different pacing styles - she likes to run even or slightly positive splits while I go for negative splits.  Hence, we finish at the same time but never run together. (I note this to show that our identical times are NOT because we are running together).

I give you three data points:

1) April 2017 10K - we both wear the Adios.  She finishes 3 seconds ahead of me.
      2) January 2018 Half-marathon - I wear the VF 4% and she wears the Adios - she finishes 2 seconds ahead of me.
      3) November 2018 Half-marathon - we both wear the VF 4%.  I finish 5 seconds ahead of her.

Based on these three examples, it's hard to argue for one shoe being markedly superior to the other.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Arvind Balaraman

Awesome Race DW. I missed meeting you at Richmond over the weekend.

I started off with 1:35 pacer, soon realized that I will not be able to keep up with him and slowed down at mile 1. Ended up finishing 1:39. I am glad that I did not attempt to run another marathon soon after Chicago. I need to rest, train and attempt my next race.

KK - good to see you back.  And that goes for you as well, RLK.  Sorry about the tough half-marathon.  But...in marathon training, there's exactly one day that counts.  And that race sounds like a set up for failure.

Ran my tune-up half yesterday.  Ran 84:22 - race report is here.

So...that should indicate sub-3 fitness.  I'm a bit worried, just because I felt almost too sharp and fresh for this race - 3 days from today is the day that really matters.  I don't think I've peaked too soon, given the short cycle.  I just hope this isn't an indication that I have more speed than strength.

OTOH, it's nice to set a half PR during a marathon cycle - that doesn't happen often for me, and means that the cycle has already been worth it.

In pertpetuance of the VF 4% discussion, I now have some data points for you.  I have a teammate who runs virtually the exact same times as me when we're both in shape.  It's not by design - we have completely different pacing styles - she likes to run even or slightly positive splits while I go for negative splits.  Hence, we finish at the same time but never run together. (I note this to show that our identical times are NOT because we are running together).

I give you three data points:

1) April 2017 10K - we both wear the Adios.  She finishes 3 seconds ahead of me.
        2) January 2018 Half-marathon - I wear the VF 4% and she wears the Adios - she finishes 2 seconds ahead of me.
        3) November 2018 Half-marathon - we both wear the VF 4%.  I finish 5 seconds ahead of her.

Based on these three examples, it's hard to argue for one shoe being markedly superior to the other.

Congrats DW!!!!  1:24 is huge!!!  A semii-decent day at CIM and you'll get sub3.

my week:

M: 10 with OMR 1/2mi hill repeats on the TM 5x(6%,7.5mph)

T: spin

W: 5 easy

Th: 13 easy

F: 7 easy

S: 12 easy

S: 7 easy

total = 54

mattw4jc

Very nice job DW! That should be a confidence boost. All but one of my half PRs are during marathon training, but that's mainly because I don't really race halves outside of marathon training. I think feeling good for the race is an indication of good endurance.

Arvind - nothing wrong with backing off when you aren't feeling it. It's the smarter option when compared to pushing too much and  risking injury. Still a solid time! Congrats!

pepperjack

pie man

Me after buying a $5 oj in the coffee shop after my long run:

Dwave - nice half.

Do you happen to know anyone that would want to sue Nike, then?  I think the vibram case could be a good precedent, shoes not doing what they are adverised to do (biggest case since Hutz v. The Never-ending story).  If we don’t get any money out of it, we at least could get a crack at actual controlled nike research and it would put an end to us shouting all the anecdotal stuff that doesn’t convince either of us of anything.  You know they have to have some real numbers with significant sample sizes and all that good stuff.

really lucked out with the air in Davis for my run this evening. I couldn’t see a thing across clear lake this morning (maybe a mile) and Sac seemed even worse.  I had to ask Siri about 5 to imes to be sure, but when I got 20 miles west it was downright refreshing.  Bonus is Davis is full of bike paths and people jumping out into the street.  The path out of town was even lit for at least a mile past civilization.  Had a real Pink Moon moment running out into the fields.  Nice after a long couple of days (maybe months).

11:11 3,000 (recent)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

KK - Good to see you back!

DWave - Awesome half, especially since you aren't focusing on that distance at the moment. I'll have to give the RR a once-over when I have a bit of down time.

Rovatti - Great week!

PJ - Good job fining a (the?) patch of clear air in your AO.

One more week of taper done, with a possibility of DOOM on the horizon - DW got sick over the weekend. The kiddos and I aren't having any problems so far, though.
                We got our first snow of the season overnight, with just a bit of it continuing now. Quite wet snow, and the ground isn't cold enough for it to stay long, but it's still nice to see out the window. And was pretty fun to run in this morning, too.

Weekly Summary
                Monday, Nov 05, 2018 thru Sunday, Nov 11, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
                Mon 8.7 7:18 Daniels 4x 1T - Watopia 149 (76%) strava
                Tue 9.3 7:48 1 hawk 143 (73%) strava
                Wed 8.3 7:43 1 rabbit and a lot of wind from the north. 144 (73%) strava
                Thu 8.1 7:11 4x 200m R +2T + 3x 2min I 145 (74%) strava
                Fri 6.3 8:08 1 Mississippi kite 131 (67%) strava
                Sat 10.1 7:51 Final long run - Landrunner Style 143 (73%) strava
                  50.8 7:39      

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

AceHarris

Dwave: well done on the HM!! That has to feel good.

Arvind: I'm learning listening to the body is important to longevity in this sport. Sometimes it's hard to do when we are chasing down goals. Nice half.

Question for the bunch:  I would really like to get to 2,000+ miles for the year. It's gonna be close due to taking off the month of April and half of May, plus not running last week as I recover from the Marathon. So my question is, should I stick with my current training plan which has me at 20-25 miles this week then gradually build back up to mid 40s per week by year's end and possibly miss the 2,000 mile goal? Or should I bump up mileage by about 10-12 miles per week and reach the goal?  The goal seems a bit arbitrary, it likely doesn't contribute to achieving specific goals, but feels like an important milestone to me for some reason.

I'm currently at 1,709 miles

Also, is it against "runner's code" to get a race specific shoe (NYC or Boston design) if you didn't run in the race. I like the NYC Kinvara's and they are $30-40 cheaper than the regular models.

Thanks for taking your valuable time to answer stupid questions.

Back to running tomorrow! I ran 5 miles on Saturday because I was tired of not running even though I was supposed to off. Surprisingly still sore and tight.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Speed Surplus

Smokin' half, Dwave. You're running CIM, right? I hope you get great conditions and a chance to attempt the sub-3.

RLK, are you running CIM as well? Going for 3:10? Based on the runs I'm seeing on Strava, I'd think you could go sub-90 on a friendlier half course, and probably 3:10 is a good goal.

Keen - Your race is coming up, too, right? Are you officially going for sub-3? Don't get sick! Or if you do, just treat it like an extreme taper (like I did) with a side benefit of losing a little extra weight. unDOOMED.

Arvind - Congrats on affirming your correct decision to not race another marathon so soon! :P

My week wasn't great for running - just 20 miles or so. Got a few rides in, including one that was a real workout (138 AHR for an hour).

I'm in a bit of a weird place for training, because I don't know when I'll be racing, so it feels a bit hard to care that much.

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                    Day Miles Pace Duration Description HR Egain Link
                    Mon 18.7 3:19 1:02 Daylight saved 118 (64%) 1022 strava
                    Mon 5.3 8:52 0:47 Extreme sweat at ez pace 140 (76%) 0 strava
                    Tue 5.5 9:15 0:51 Ballot run plus new segment (maybe?) 132 (72%) 368 strava
                    Tue 18.6 3:08 0:58 Wild ride through the dark. Forgot to stop watch at end. 126 (68%) 759 strava
                    Fri 18.6 3:16 1:00 Cold! Hands were perfectly warm, feet freezing. 138 (75%) 1004 strava
                    Sat 8.0 7:29 1:00 Had fresh legs so I used 'em. Progression from light MP effort to HMP at end 156 (85%) 86 strava
                    Sat 1.3 9:35 0:12 CD 142 (77%) 149 strava
                    Sun 2.5 29:34 1:12 Lazy hike with kiddos 83 (45%) 397 strava
                      78.5 5:24 7:04     3785

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Ace - Are doubles an option? Something I found out this cycle is that adding in a 2-4 mile run a few times a week is much easier on the body than adding that some mileage onto a "regularly scheduled" run. Not necessarily easier on the calendar, though. An additional 10-12 mpw is pretty big when compared to what you have been running, but we know you're capable of running more mileage than that without injury. It may not serve a specific purpose other than more base mileage, but if you can do it without injury or undue stress after your marathon why not?
                      As for the shoes, I'm all about finding the one color/design of whatever shoe I wear that's cheaper than the others. That's why my short-distance racing shoes are bright pink! Anecdote: those shoes are actually unisex, and just before my last 5k a woman who lined up behind me complimented them - because she was wearing the exact same shoe.
                      My marathon shoes are Chicago themed, and I've never even been to Illinois.

SClever - The race is Saturday! While I think sub-3 would be doable for me (not to be confused with guaranteed) if everything lined up, I've decided to back off that so I don't risk blowing up and missing a BQ (3:05). Sub-3 will still be there for me next year.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Thanks for the congrats, guys.

PJ - that's actually an interesting question.  Thing is, the class action suits against Vibram and Skechers were based on allegedly misleading health claims, not performance claims.  I think it may be easier to bring a claim on the former than the latter.  But it's amazing what class action attorneys will run with.

SC - yes, CIM in 3 weeks.  Targeting sub-3.  I believe I have the fitness, and I know I have the course (and the shoes).  So now I just need the weather, a bit of luck, and good execution.   Only one of those three is in my control, so I'm not going to worry about the other 2.  Yet.

Doubles vs. Singles.  I'm an outlier, but I would nearly always prefer to add on mileage to a single run.  For me, the first two miles of a run always suck, so I'd rather just deal with them once a day.

Arvind - yeah, it's a shock to the system when you think you're recovered from a marathon, then try to race and realize that you are not....

Ace - is hitting the 2K miles goal worth it to you if you get injured?  I'm personally not a fan of too much focus on hitting a number (I am a hypocrite here, since I always have to finish my weeks on a "whole number" rather than xx.5 miles...)

Nice weeks all around.  Here's mine.  42 miles running plus 15 "miles" pool-running.

M: Upper body weights and core, DIY yoga, and 8 miles very easy (8:45) plus drills.
                        T: 9.5 miles, including 5x800 in 3:00, 2:59, 2:55, 2:55, 2:54.  Also recovery swimming.  Massage in afternoon.
                        W: DIY yoga and 7.5 miles very easy (8:57) plus drills.
                        Thbody weights and core, DIY yoga, and 6 "miles" pool-running.
                        F: 2 miles very easy (9:40) plus drills.
                        Sa: 2 miles warm-up and then a half-marathon in 1:24:22 (6:26 pace).  Also recovery swimming.
                        Su: 9 "miles" pool-running.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

OMR

Work life has been nuts, but I have to jump in to congratulate Dwave on the half.  Hope there's a sub-3 in the near future for you!

Rovatti:  Nice hill repeats.  It's hard to believe that I used to be able to do that.

Hey to everyone...cutback week for me...

M:  Rest

T:  9 w/6 x 0.5M @ 7.5%, -3%.  Nowhere near as fast as Rovatti.

W:  Rest

T:  10 @ 10:07

F:  Rest

S:  8 @ 9:33

S:  10.5 @ 9:29

Total:  37.5

berylrunner

Rick

Darkwave - Congrats on the masters win.  Impressive race and thanks for the report.

My week, uneventful recovery week.  Dealing with a cold and cold weather.  47 miles.  A few shorter runs at MP.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

sclever- yes, CIM, and thank you for the ego boost! I think I could go sub90 too so I'm bummed I didn't (/didn't get the chance to). Thanks for corroborating the 3:10 goal! Feeling good about it.

doubles vs singles: singles definitely have a greater endurance benefit. but if making it a double is the only viable way to get distance in on a certain day, it's better than nothing.

Air quality is Beijing-levels for the 5th? day in a row. It's honestly depressing to be told to stay indoors for the sake of your health. The best things in life are outside Sad  That's a selfish take, of course, and I'm grateful to have my life and a place to live whereas other people in CA currently don't.

But yeah, I'd rather run in a blizzard than on the treadmill for this many days straight. Skipped my Sunday LR (some of my teammates did 20+ on the TM ... wtf!!) and hoping some fresh air blows in tomorrow and I can get in something decent tomorrow. Mileage and workouts are taking a hit. Did do a 30min tempo on the TM yesterday (2% incline, 6:50 pace and a bit faster at the end) which felt great, so that's good?

Is FB still coming around here? I ran in his old 'hood on Saturday. (We tried to escape the smoke by going south. it followed us there and Big Sur cancelled their Sunday half marathon). a LOT of "for sale" signs on 17 Mile Drive, if anyone's got $30mil to spare.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Katia77

Air quality is Beijing-levels for the 5th? day in a row. It's honestly depressing to be told to stay indoors for the sake of your health. The best things in life are outside Sad  That's a selfish take, of course, and I'm grateful to have my life and a place to live whereas other people in CA currently don't.

But yeah, I'd rather run in a blizzard than on the treadmill for this many days straight. Skipped my Sunday LR (some of my teammates did 20+ on the TM ... wtf!!) and hoping some fresh air blows in tomorrow and I can get in something decent tomorrow. Mileage and workouts are taking a hit.

I'm so with you on the AQ stuff.  Fortunately so far it's been ok but I know from living here that it's only a matter of time before I am relegated indoors and pregnant women are more sensitive to it bc they haven't really studied how it affects an unborn baby but generally speaking it's not good :/ I hope it gets better for you guys.. CA has had a rough year with it!

PRs: HM: 1:32:59 (2015); FM: 3:18:36 (2017)