2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

AceHarris

My brother lives in Napa, CA and has sent some pics. They're dealing with plenty of smoke and ash despite the fires being a fair distance away. Having to wear masks to go out. Hopefully this gets contained soon for everyone's sake out that way. It's just horrendous.

CIM Folks: Getting close to taper time! Are race organizers sending out updates about the fire's impact on the race?

Keen: How ya feeling?!? Are conditions looking favorable?

Met with my coach yesterday to talk about what we want to go for next. Discussed speed cycle versus staying in the marathon zone. Decided to do a speed cycle starting later winter through late spring. Focus on 5k and 10k distance, then get back to marathon training in the Fall. I'm excited about pursuing some PRs in other distances and not running 20 miles on the weekends. He thinks my 2:57:18 is enough to get into Boston. My BQ is 3:00:00. So, hopefully we're right.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

CIM Folks: Getting close to taper time! Are race organizers sending out updates about the fire's impact on the race?

Nope - nothing from them, though there was a post on FB more generally discussing the situation (i.e. best wishes to all; if you're in NorCal we suggest you train on the treadmill)  I think it's way too soon to know whether the fires will have any effect.

I think a speed cycle is a good idea.

Unscheduled rest day for me today.

I went to see my prolotherapy Dr. this morning (as a reminder, I have lax ligaments in my SI joints and ankles, and need to get them tightened every once in a while with prolotherapy injections).  We confirmed that it would be a good idea to get another round in my back (it's been over 2 years since my last set there, I think).

As it turned out, he could fit me in that morning, so I just had it done then.

Which meant no running today, since it would have been a bad idea to run right after the shots.  Not allowed to pool-run either (I can't go in the water for 48 hours post-shot).  So I just ran (by which I mean walked) errands instead.  Did do yoga this evening, and I'll run tomorrow morning.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

Thanks ace. We are 100+ mi south of your brother and also wearing n95 masks to walk around outside. I actually am full-fledged sick as of this morning, not sure if from air stuff or just routine sick, but the combination feels like suffocation.

And then I get friends from the east coast texting me "do you think CIM  is gonna be cancelled??" Like, wow. 50+ people are dead, 28,000 do not have homes, many millions have been breathing poison for the past week. Slow your roll and get some perspective.

*deep breath*

... (coughs)

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

pepperjack

pie man

There’s a good deal of rain the forecast for next week.  But there was formerly a good deal of rain in the forecast for this weekend so who knows.

I’ve been in the field the last two days, so no running.  I used the treadmill in the little gym here at the station Monday and when I left I closed the door there was a gap underneath of at least an inch.  So I basically ran outside Monday.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Pesto

Been traveling for work and with very little time for running and actively participating. I haven't even been on strava for over a week.

Just wanted to say congrats to DkW! Fantastic race, great pacing. And I don't think it is a sign of peaking early, but of being very fit.

Good luck CK on Saturday!

Hi to everyone else!

5K - 18:03 (5.18) | 10K - 37:58 (2.18) | HM - 1:20:45 (9.18) | FM: 2:57:59 (10.18)

Running Problem

Problem Child

ace 4 minute mile. Congrats on the sub 3. Hope your brother stays inside. Fires in that area are crazy because there is so much fuel, but it's also the reason people live there. Trees are prettier than tall buildings. As for the 2,000+ miles I need to average around 50 mpw to get there (2018) and I go back and forth daily. If doubles are all you can get with DD#3 not growing more teeth I'd do doubles. If you can get a 10-15 mile run in and hit the MPW you need do that. Both are nice for their own reasons. A 5 mile run is like 45 minutes with changing. A 10 mile run is 90 minutes but when do you have that 90 minutes? #dadlife

max good luck this weekend. I'm sure you'll kill that guy running super fast training runs. Tortoise/hare kinda thing.

dwave good luck at CIM. I didn't realize it was so close until I realized Thanksgiving is next week and that's always been my "no beer/drinking" start date.

rlk sub 3 is the only option at CIM. Hope you get better. Who cares if you're in control of the body when you're ripping off PRs like every month. 

katia If you've never done Chicago before I'd suggest taking public transporation. The L goes to/from the airport really easy. They have an app but google maps also works REALLY well. The turnstiles going from CTA (bus) to the L (subway/train) can be small when you're in town. They'll open a gate to let you roll through your 50 lb oversized luggage if you need to. I found that out after my MIL shoved hers through (I still don't know how) and it's like $0.25 to transfer from the L to CTA so gettign downtown is not only easy, it's cheap. Oh and if you like a nice steak dinner I'd recommend Prime and Provision. They even let NeRP in and he behaved nicely.

keen you ready? You pick a goal or still juggling sub 3 and 3:05ish?

I at least went out for a run. The "I don't want to run" funk is gone but now its some "I hate my job and don't want to be helpful" funk which never ends well. I'm the guy who asks directed questions cutting through all the fluff and pratically blaming you for being the problem, without actually pointing it to you. I had my supervisor say "yeah and I know you'd be a better supervisor than me" and I had to correct her saying "I never said that" when discussing a project I'd work on for 2 weeks (completly new way of doing things) just to have her come back and want to change it back and I pretty much pointed out we're resisting change and she didn't want to do things new, just a slight clean up. Oh and that none of the other supervisors care about the project I completed (entirely redesign our digital filing system) because they're worried about the backlog of work that only increases...maybe I should train for a marathon again.

TNF 50 was canceled and so was the Monterey half marathon. Tim tollefson is raising money for the people in Paradise. It appears his significant other is from the area. Sucks for everyone involved. I have family in Oroville so I'm glad it didn't go South (literally) but I was ready to get a call to bring the truck and house some relatives if I had to.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Ace - The conditions at the race look awesome! Upper 30's to start, upper 40's by finish with good cloud cover and very little to no wind at all. Sickness is running rampant in my house, though. DW is getting over strep throat, but now DD2 and DD3 both have fevers and runny noses - they're heading off to the doc soon because of their proximity to strep. My throat was feeling sore yesterday afternoon/night, but that thankfully went away by morning. And hopefully it stays that way, and hopefully DD1 continues to miss the bug as well.
                I'd be surprised if your recent marathon PR didn't get you into Botswana.

Thanks, Pesto!

Brew - I'm quite ready! I've decided to put sub-3 off and plan on trying to stay between 6:55-7:00/mi, so basically sub 3:03:30. That should be good to get me into the April race for 2020.

Hopefully things in California get under control quickly. Is there any chance of favorable weather to help that?

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

there is rain in the forecast starting next week, but who knows. officially on day 7.

i'm full blown sick now. not sure if it's from air or was just bound to happen. neat.

monterey half was last weekend, they cancelled while we were there. clarksburg half is on our USATF race circuit and that was cancelled. (south of sacramento)

berkeley half for this weekend cancelled, in addition to TNF.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Predictions from Day 1 were November 30. They have had good and bad days with weather. Locally they overlayed the burn area and showed it would wipe out literally every inch of my area. Homes, BLM land, everything gone.

Back home-ish

https://www.sfgate.com/california-wildfires/slideshow/Camp-Fire-boundary-overlays-of-San-Francisco-187239.php

Bye Bye twitter, Oakland Marathon, eBay, LinkedIn, Zynga, etc.

rlk well at least you're sick when it isn't good air to run in, right?

Driving distance I've made it from Reno to Columbia, MO. Straight line distance I've made it to Evansville. I'm coming for you ace!

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

my thoughts exactly :P and finally getting to experiment with a 3 week taper, which I've been formerly too afraid to try!

darkwave

Mother of Cats

RLK - very sorry you are sick, but the timing is optimal, if you have to be sick....

CK - good luck avoiding the germs.  I recommend a flu mask, continually wiping down all handles/surfaces, and handwashing every utensil and plate/bowl before use, assuming your kids use the same stuff as the adults.   Plus the standard washing hands all the time and never touching your face with your hands.   We get sick when germs get into our body via our tear ducts or nasal passages, generally - so you want to protect those two areas and keep germs away from them.

Also - GOOD LUCK ON Saturday!!!!

Ran 8 miles very easy (9:19) this morning in what started as cold rain, then evolved to sleet, then evolved to an unpredicted snow storm.  By the time I finished there was a solid inch on the ground.  Then did upper body weights/core before heading back out for another 3 miles very easy (9:18).

Footing during the first run started as wet leaves on concrete (a bit challenging) and then progressed to slush on top of wet leaves on top of concrete (significantly challenging).  Then, as the storm progressed, I was running on pure snow.  Finally, when people started to salt/sand, I was running on melted snow, and that seemed very easy in comparison to what had come before.

The run was a nice test of the rain coat I bought after Boston 2018.  Coat passed with flying colors - was dry and comfortable the entire run.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

pepperjack

pie man

Predictions from Day 1 were November 30. They have had good and bad days with weather. Locally they overlayed the burn area and showed it would wipe out literally every inch of my area. Homes, BLM land, everything gone.

Back home-ish

https://www.sfgate.com/california-wildfires/slideshow/Camp-Fire-boundary-overlays-of-San-Francisco-187239.php

Bye Bye twitter, Oakland Marathon, eBay, LinkedIn, Zynga, etc.

Driving distance I've made it from Reno to Columbia, MO. Straight line distance I've made it to Evansville. I'm coming for you ace!

Multiply times 3 and you have Ranch.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Jim's Kat: You aren't missing your goals by much, and you are getting faster.  Doesn't seem silly to up the goal again this time.  Plus congrats on your $hitty tiny half PR.

Darkwave: Congrats on your worry-inducing half PR.

Arvind: Rest is a good thing.

Ace: Buy the cheap shoes.  Process goals (streaks, yearly mileage goals, etc.) are dumb if they make you do the wrong thing for your health and race performance.  You could go for 2000 miles but decide each day if you are doing the extra miles because they are right for you, and skip/dial-back if it's not right.

Wow, so much fire badness - the really bad stuff and the other issues.  My DW was down there for a lot of the past week and dealt with it most of the time.  Hoping for rain.

I'm in VA right now (hi Darkwave) and will do Crooked Road 24 hour on Saturday.  In addition to Wonder Boy, Ann Trason showed up in the signup list.  She bailed on me at Euchre Bar but I think she'll show up here.  Tracking info here: http://crookedroad24.itsyourrace.com/event.aspx?id=8770

If there is a race, it will happen while most of you are asleep.  The first 16 hours are basically a warmup.

Running Problem

Problem Child

So I can looking to run about 300 miles in the next three weeks. I’ve been averaging less than 40 for the year. Does anyone have advice how I could make this work? It’s about 14 miles a day and 100 miles a week. I bet a guy some Bells Two Hearted I could run farther than him.

PJ: the difference is the Ranch Fire wasn’t as close to populated cities. Less “we need to put this out right now. Send everyone”.

Max: NeRP has been doing this thing....it’s called waking up around 3:00am. I think I’ll tune in for the sunrise. If you ever think ultra training sucks just remember it could be marathon training. Marathon training SUCKS.

Rlk: 3 WEEK TAPER!?!?!?! You’re joking right? Like......10 days is already too long. I think your cats might evict you on a weekend to the treadmill at work or something.

VDOT 53.37 

mattw4jc

Coincidentally, Evansville is home to the University of Evansville Purple Aces.