2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Big congratulations to Commander Keen!  Made his BQ goal!  3:04:13, 1st AG and 4th OA. Strava laps look like he went out a tiny bit hot (eta: wait, I see it started with a huge downhill, makes sense!) but immediately slowed down and had an evenly-paced race with a solid finish.

AceHarris

Nice job, Keen!! Really nice racing!

I didnt know the race was by one of my favorite fly fishing spots!!

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Nice race KEEN!!!

Running Problem

Problem Child

Tracking for max only seems to work using the website. http://crookedroad24.itsyourrace.com/results.aspx?id=8770

Currently in first by about 2 miles. Ann must not be racing because she isn’t listed. I think he is doing well against the competition who was doing lots of speed work. It also looks to be a much larger race this year.

Keen. Fuck yeah. Way to beat the goal.  You and ace get your victory lap in 2020. I’ll see what I can do about making it to Brunch so we can compare kids. I think us three are a party of 9 if the whole family comes. I spent the day doing dad stuff in the morning before DW abandoned me and NeRP for a baby shower or else I’d have tracked you as much as possible. Your 7:18 mile towards the end had me scared but figured it’s a hill. Looking forward to an extremely detailed report card.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

16:15 in. Max is at 84.816. Closest competition is hot on his heels at 82.460. I think Mr. Horton took a long stop that our friend decided wasn’t necessary because the champion needs to play some mental games with the competition. Ann (3rd place) is at 77 miles so maybe she stopped for a nap with another 7.5 hours to go.

laps 45, 50, 60 and 69 look like rests. 45-50 May have been a low spot where the champ had to adjust the race pace to something he can keep for the rest of the race. Looks like 14:00 miles are where we WANT to be and it’s mental. Nothing looks like there is physical injury.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Arvind Balaraman

hearty congrats Keen. Just awesome consistent pacing

Running Problem

Problem Child

The champ retains his belt. I’m sure TSA will confiscate it.

VDOT 53.37 

Congrats to Max!   How many ultras have you done now?  It seems like one a month for quite a while...

My week:

M: 11 with 8 trips over the Williamsburg Bridge

T: 10 with intervals around the reservoir: (1600, 1200, 800, 3x300) @6:07

W: 7 easy

Th: urd

F: 13 easy

S: 10 easy

S: 7 easy

total = 58

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Huge congrats to both CK on a wonderfully executed race, and to Smax on defending his title.

CK - are you happy in retrospect with the decision to go for sub-3:05 (as opposed to sub-3)?

Smax - how fared you sans gaiters?

My week: 58 miles and 9 "miles" pool-running.
                    M: yoga and 9 "miles" pool-running.  Massage in afternoon.
                    T: 8 easy (8:45) then upper body weights/core.  Later did another 3 (8:21)

W: Prolotherapy in the morning, yoga in evening.
                    Th: 8 miles very easy (9:19), upper body weights/core, another 3 miles very easy (9:18)
                    F: 10 miles, including 2x2-ish miles in 13:01 and 12:24.  Also injury prevention work and recovery swimming.
                    Sa: 10 miles very easy (8:54) plus drills/strides, then upper body weights/core.
                    Su: 16 miles progressive - first 5 averaged 8:50; next 5 averaged 7:32, last 6 averaged 6:43.  Also injury prevention work and recovery swimming.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

berylrunner

Rick

Ended up with a PR mileage week after challenging myself to run a half marathon distance per day.  117 total miles (15% hiking).

Monday - 14

Tuesday - 14

Wednesday am - 4

Wednesday pm - 13 trail, 2600 gain

Thursday am - 14, hill repeats, 3400 gain

Thursday pm - 4.5

Friday am - 13

Friday pm - 3

Saturday - 23

Sunday - 14.5 peak bagging at altitude, snow, 2600 gain

I feel pretty good.  It was more mental than physical.  One trick to break up the monotonous miles was to do strides.  Will take it easier this week.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

Pesto

I second this, hope things are getting easier over there.

Shout out to PJ. This must be incredibly difficult -- and to all you Californians.

On a different note:

Awesome job and lovely pacing, CK! And congrats on the BQ!! What's next now?

Congrats max on the win!

beryl - 117 miles in one week?!! That's ridiculous

Very little running from me these days, I think I've done less than 100 km over the last 5 weeks post-marathon. Need to get on with it.

Question for everyone, especially those that tend to negative split (such as DkW, ace, CK, etc). What type of workouts do you think help you the most with that? My goal for Boston is running a sub-3 (or close) without fading (a negative split on that course is too much to ask probably) and would love to hear your insights.

5K - 18:03 (5.18) | 10K - 37:58 (2.18) | HM - 1:20:45 (9.18) | FM: 2:57:59 (10.18)

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Keen: Yes!  That's huge - congratulations!  Looking forward to hearing about it.  I'm really happy for you.

I'm moving very slowly today.  Scott Horton ran a great race yesterday - very controlled and steady - and as a result I spent the last 11 hours of the race trying to shave seconds where I could to keep or increase the small gap I had.  Totally different experience than last year when I was able to start playing prevent defense with about 8 hours left.  I didn't hit any of the ambitious distance goals I had, but that race experience was "fun".  More (lots more, of course) later.

Arvind Balaraman

hearty congrats Max

Keen: Yes!  That's huge - congratulations!  Looking forward to hearing about it.  I'm really happy for you.

I'm moving very slowly today.  Scott Horton ran a great race yesterday - very controlled and steady - and as a result I spent the last 11 hours of the race trying to shave seconds where I could to keep or increase the small gap I had.  Totally different experience than last year when I was able to start playing prevent defense with about 8 hours left.  I didn't hit any of the ambitious distance goals I had, but that race experience was "fun".  More (lots more, of course) later.

OMR

Congrats Keen and max!!!

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Thanks everyone!!

RLK - Feeling better since the weekend?

Max - For the win!!! Looking forward to reading a really long RR.

PJ - Terrible stuff about the fires and their effects - particularly since we don't know a lot of those effects yet. Am I to gather than California doesn't do widespread controlled burns or cuts to thin out the short and/or dry old growth?

Rovatti - Seems like you're doing really well building things back up.

DWave - I'm quite happy with my decision regarding the time goal. I'll probably expound on this in a RR.

Beryl - Great week!

Pesto - I haven't' definitively decided on anything yet, but I'm thinking of running some local races I haven't done before and then maybe the Chisholm Trail Marathon and/or the OKC Memorial Marathon in late March & April, respectively.
                                The biggest two things I can think of off the top of my head that helped minimize a fade were: 1: Mileage! I averaged nearly 40% more mpw this cycle than I had previously, and actually have averaged more mpw for the year than I averaged just during the buildups to my last couple marathons. This just flat-out helped with endurance. 2: Tempo runs/MP pace runs. Not so much for the physical adaptations of the MP runs, but that both are "faster" without being "too fast" and they end up hurting toward the end. I think telling myself "this is the difference between holding strong and everything falling apart at the end of the race" when things started to hurt was quite helpful.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races: