2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

TIL that a not-insignificant number of people log their race distances according to their Garmin measurements and not the official measurements.

Yup - amazes me.  Along with internet running culture in general.  So many photoshopped/filtered photos, and so many lies about the ease of one's run.

[BTW, I just set up an Instagram.  It's like any other annoying running Instagram except a) I'm reporting my workouts honestly and b) I've subbed in pictures of my cats for pictures of me, on the theory that you can't have enough cat photos on the internet].

Lauren - welcome to our humble crew!  If you want to catch up on who everyone is, we have a intros section here.

CK - great report, and I agree whole heartedly with Ilana's point about reasonable marathon goals.

RLK - you hit it on the head - a large part of running negative splits is to be able to separate yourself from goal times.  For myself, though I have a goal in mind when I train, once I'm on the starting line, my goal shifts to running the best effort-based race I can.  And I hope that will hit my goal.

11 miles today, including 1600, 2x1200, 800 in 6:16, 4:39, 4:32, and 2:58.  Also injury prevention work and recovery swimming.
    Legs were tired on this one - I'm not recovered from Richmond yet.  Good thing I've got another 12 days or so.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

brew- alllllright alright. close enough, from here anyway. my pet peeve is when people say "There's a X in Tahoe". In the lake??

I've never stayed in Truckee before though, but I think I like it better than typical north lake or south lake destinations! Tons more running routes (road and trail), more "civilization", and a bit closer to SF. Our trip back on Sunday only took 3 hrs.

dwave - Cat! Pics!!!! I love your instagram name, too Big grin

Speaking of, I'm not a cry-er until it comes to cats:

1) https://twitter.com/sfspca/status/1064654706121814022
      2) https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/woman-cat-california-wildfire-reunion-video_us_5bf04b36e4b0b84243e2c469

Officially in Ilana's great and beautiful state! Purple mountain majesty indeed. And fresh, clean air. Though NorCal is getting pummeled with rain right now, thankfully, so the smoke is starting to clear.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

dwave thanks for posting the intros thread! it appears I never posted in there, whoops.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

RLK - The course was actually really flat, except for the first downhill, of course. I think the seemingly erratic splits may mostly have to do with some slightly misplaced mile markers, and some GPS signal block from the big hill and trees on the east side. Looking at just GPS-based splits things are much smoother and look more representative of my perceived effort.
          You've never run alone during a marathon?? That's so strange to me. I'm guessing all the races you've done have either been much larger than mine, or perhaps specifically with someone else?
          Hopefully those fires get put out soon.

Ace - If I'm ever in the area again I'll remember to check out that little cafe. DW has an aunt to lives in the area, so it may well happen.
          I've been enjoying sleeping in, too!

McB - TIL what "TIL" stands for.

Running my first turkey trot tomorrow with DW & my FIL (who both just started running again) while pushing DD3 in the stroller!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

pepperjack

pie man

The rain has been light here, thankfully.  Heavy rain and everything is just going to slide.  I don't think I can comprehend 400,000 acres of that.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Pesto

Thanks ace, DkW, CK and rlk on the feedback regarding avoiding a fade! rlk, the only time I ran a negative split in a FM was my first one, where I was a too conservative due to having no idea about this running thing.

DkW, when I asked the question, I was thinking about your progression runs ending in MP. I think I may do some of those this cycle. Do you do that for all your LR?

And S#!t!! I didn’t realize I used the B word! Definitely doomed.

CK - great report! I thought my race felt like a solo time trial, but yours seems much worse. At least I had 1-2 more runners with me during the second half.

brew - I’m not too worried about the low mileage yet really, but I Amman bit worried about the lack of motivation.

5K - 18:03 (5.18) | 10K - 37:58 (2.18) | HM - 1:20:45 (9.18) | FM: 2:57:59 (10.18)

AceHarris

Pesto: I accidentally said the B-word in here the other day too!! No one noticed, so maybe I'm good.

Decided to run the turkey trot 5k tomorrow. Signed my eldest (4.5 y/o) up for the 1 mile kids run. Below is a paraphrasing of our conversation, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Me: Annie, I signed you up for a race in 2 days!

Annie: How far is it?

Me: 1 mile

Annie: That's too far!

Me: You can do it! I'll run with you. Then I'll run the 5k

Annie: How far is a 5k?

Me: 3 miles

Annie: Oh, I can do 1 mile!

Me: I think you should try to run the whole time (she likes to take breaks)

Annie: I think I should win it and get a medal!!! I'll run faster than everyone else!

I hope all of you all have a great Thanksgiving! Be safe, eat well, enjoy good company, go for a run.

Brew: 2000 is gonna be CLOSE for me. I gotta get moving if I want some beer.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

You've never run alone during a marathon?? That's so strange to me. I'm guessing all the races you've done have either been much larger than mine, or perhaps specifically with someone else?

It's so relative.  I've been alone for portions of 2 of my marathons (Shamrock and Hartford).  But at larger ones, like Chicago/Boston, I've always been in a pack.  CK - if you do one of those races, or even a medium sized one that draws a fast crowd like Grandma's or CIM, you'll have a very different experience.

FWIW, a friend of mine missed a sub-3 at Berlin this year - he said that crowding on the course was a major issue for him.

8 miles very easy (8:58) plus drills, strides, and DIY yoga.  Air in Sacramento looking much improved.  My flight out is on Wednesday, but Southwest is allowing people to swap flights to Sacramento without paying for a more expensive ticket, so I might push my flight back to Thursday to give me another day to read the AQ/weather tea leaves.  But right now, everything is trending the right way.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

It's so relative.  I've been alone for portions of 2 of my marathons (Shamrock and Hartford).  But at larger ones, like Chicago/Boston, I've always been in a pack.  CK - if you do one of those races, or even a medium sized one that draws a fast crowd like Grandma's or CIM, you'll have a very different experience.

Yep, this. I guess the most alone I've ever been was NJ Marathon, but there were people a couple seconds in front or behind me at all times. My other ones have been Boston x3, New York x2, Chicago x1, CIM x1 - so not alone there. It would be a scary but probably worthwhile experience for me to do a small (aka racing alone) marathon at some point.

Strict WTF adherent

[BTW, I just set up an Instagram.  It's like any other annoying running Instagram except a) I'm reporting my workouts honestly and b) I've subbed in pictures of my cats for pictures of me, on the theory that you can't have enough cat photos on the internet].

I was waiting for the punchline to be that it's like any other running instagram, except that it's a pool running Instagram

Ace - you may think nobody noticed, but we're watching.

Running a marathon alone is the best way. I even managed it at Barstow for a while by going out slow/drinking heavily from the back of wave one. Want to make it extra weird? Run faster than 3:30 at Disney and you'll be all alone in a race with 20,000 other people.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

disney marathon: my personal nightmare. (sorry McB+W)

It's colder than a well-digger's ass, but I'm headed out for a jog.

Happy Thanksgiving to y'all!

pepperjack

pie man

I always consider large amounts of people to run with as an advantage, pulling one along to better times.  This is mostly based on cherry blossom and not marathons, though.  That being said I did a solo time trial 5k on the track yesterday and it went fine.

Cold back east, eh?

11:11 3,000 (recent)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Cold back east, eh?

Yup - lower 20s this morning.  Wore the heavy winter gear for the first time in a while (tights over compression shorts on the bottom; running jacket over tank top on top).  And my snowboarding mittens.

As for groups - I like to have people in my vicinity when I race, but I dislike working in a pack unless there's a headwind.  I think it stems back from my horse-riding days - I get very uncomfortable when I'm packed too tightly with others, since I had it drilled in my head to never let horses get too close to each other when riding.

Did 10 miles, including a 3 mile tempo (19:09- 6:28/6:22/6:19).  Also leg strengthwork and recovery swimming.

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Keen: I like your two takeaways re: race prep, especially the one about hard training runs.  I give the people I coach a few training runs that will be very hard (mentally and physically) and tell them that it's to get them ready to sustain when they don't want to.  Great RR and nice job coping with GPS randomness.  Clearly you dialed in the effort in training.

Clever: I like that Lake Wa bike loop, except for that downtown section in Blahview.

Lauren: Welcome!  I'm glad you unlurked.  Most people here are nice - I'm the main exception.  It sounds like you've had a strong comeback.  I followed a similar path years ago - got all excited about running, spend a very long time wrestling with PF (biked and swam instead) and then came back to running.

Jim's Kat: OAB?  Old Age Benefits?  You seem too young for that.  Nice job escaping to Tahoe.  I hope your air clears.

Brew: I'd suggest that your Durango-bound friend go to Kendall Peak but it's probably snowy now.  Ilana could guide.

McB: TIL what TIL means, well, what Keen said already.  Great minds thinks alike, and sometimes even lesser minds do too.

Ace: "I accidentally said the B-word in here the other day too!! No one noticed, so maybe I'm good."  That's likely to earn you a taunting penalty from the running gods.

Rovatti: You're a doc, right?  When you speak of the temp of a well-digger's posterior, are you speaking from experience?  Is NYC a hot-bed of well-digging?

Racing with others: When I can see someone, it feels crowded.

Answers to questions above:

# of ultras:  Officially, I've finished 50 ultras (and 39 marathons) but that doesn't count a few unofficial things (Issy Alps, UltraPedestrian Wilderness Challenge, etc.).  And there's that 80+ mile DNF.

Sans-gaiters:  I ended up avec gaiters - the race director loaned me some with a nice tiger stripe print.  Stylish and, as is common knowledge, the orange hues made me faster.

Still recovering.  6-7 miles seems to be the sweet spot for recovery runs right now.  (I know this from yesterday's 12 mile outing with DW - it was not sweet.)  I had a race scheduled for early Feb but the course just burned (Santa Monica Mountains) and it was cancelled while I was in VA.  There's a personal silver lining in the large amount of greater suck from that - the pressure to do big hills starting in Dec is gone and I feel like I can take it easy until I feel good.  Have to find a new Western States qualifier for next year, but I'm hoping my ~12% chance of getting in in this year's lottery (early Dec) will pay off and WS will end up being my qualifier.

Unless something stupid happens, it looks like I'll make it safely through the year without running a marathon.