2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

max- how does nobody know this acronym?! Out And Back Smile

clever/max- speaking of full loops around things, when I was in Seattle recently I did some good runs stringing together various trails. Was impressed by the wayfinding signage. Did notice an area where the trail disappeared (maybe Burke Gilman? I forget) and it got really industrial/sketchy, and I saw some "political" signage on the way in which a bunch of NIMBYs seemed to be blocking extension of the trail. Felt like the type of conflict we have in SF...

"Unless something stupid happens, it looks like I'll make it safely through the year without running a marathon." - ha. meanwhile, next Sunday seems to have come upon us very quickly .... (dwave)

Max if you do get into WS, it would seem like a good excuse for me to finally go up and see what it's all about. Nothing like running through the woods in the dark with someone you met on the internet....

Have been in CO for the past few days and it was such a welcome respite from the smoke. Altitude actually feels good when you're not used to being able to breathe.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Rovatti: You're a doc, right?  When you speak of the temp of a well-digger's posterior, are you speaking from experience?  Is NYC a hot-bed of well-digging?

Not exactly...  it just seemed a bit more decorous than a witches tit.

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Jim's Kat:  You were probably in Ballard, in the notorious Burke Gilman missing link area.  Two decades of controversy.

Running Problem

Problem Child

If max gets into WS a I can GUARENTEE my truck and beer drinking will be there. Public access being what it is he couldn’t stop me from spectating/tailgating.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

"Unless something stupid happens, it looks like I'll make it safely through the year without running a marathon." - ha. meanwhile, next Sunday seems to have come upon us very quickly .... (dwave)

Yes - 8 days away!  I'm flying out there early this year (on Wednesday), so it seems even sooner.

8 miles very easy (8:48) plus drills, strides, upper body weights/core, and some DIY yoga.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Hardrock is actually in Silverton to our north, not in Durango.  At the moment Durango is cold but sunny, or so I'm told - they got some snow but it's melted out, most of the storms are missing town.  The ski area is open (Purgatory) but I haven't been up there yet.

Meanwhile (as you know if you follow my Strava) we are in Scottsdale AZ and have been mtb-ing fools, except for Friday when we were hiking fools. We have also been eating and drinking in fancy restaurants and soaking in the resort hot tub.  That's basically our vacation right there!  Heading back on Monday.

Iliana -  NICE house!  (I just clicked through the pics on your blog)

my week:

M: spin

T: 8 with intervals 6x(800@~6:00 with 400 recoveries)

W: 7 easy

Th: 7 easy

F: urd

S: 8 easy

S: 9 with 1/2mi OMR hill repeats 5x(6.0%,7.7mph)

total = 39

I've got to start doing some tempos...

OMR

max:  How many tickets do you have in the lottery now?  I hope to get one in 2019, and will also get through the year without running a marathon.

rovatti:  Getting faster on those hills, I see...

Hey to everyone.  Good luck to those running CIM (assuming it happens)!

My week...biggest week and longest run of the year today.  Progress...?

M:  7 @ 9:27

T:  10 @ 10:27 w/5 x 0.5M @ 7.5%/-3% incline

W:  10 @ 9:28 w/5 x 0.5M @ 4%/-3% incline

T:  6 @ 9:27

F:  12 @ 9:12 w/6 x 0.5M @ 3%/-3% incline

S:  Rest

S:  15 @ 9:19

Total:  60.

berylrunner

Rick

72 miles for the week.  Had a great tempo run and a long run of 28 miles of pavement.  Feeling some burnout so I might do more hills this week.  Can you guys critique my tempo run for some feedback.  Maybe give me some examples of what I should be doing for 3:20 goal?

Mile 1 warm up, 6 miles at 7:00 pace give or take (I did not look at my watch and was surprised how even those miles were).  Last two miles were on dirt and were noticeably more difficult.  1.5 mile cool down.  It was a hard effort.  This was a pm run with 9.5 miles earlier in the day.  Altitude 5,000 ft.  I am thinking slow the pace a little and add a mile for the next one?  Or do the same and see if the effort is easier?

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

darkwave

Mother of Cats

72 miles for the week.  Had a great tempo run and a long run of 28 miles of pavement.  Feeling some burnout so I might do more hills this week.  Can you guys critique my tempo run for some feedback.  Maybe give me some examples of what I should be doing for 3:20 goal?

Mile 1 warm up, 6 miles at 7:00 pace give or take (I did not look at my watch and was surprised how even those miles were).  Last two miles were on dirt and were noticeably more difficult.  1.5 mile cool down.  It was a hard effort.  This was a pm run with 9.5 miles earlier in the day.  Altitude 5,000 ft.  I am thinking slow the pace a little and add a mile for the next one?  Or do the same and see if the effort is easier?

So....my first thought is - you need to be setting your paces according to your current fitness, and not your goal fitness.  So the 3:20 goal here is irrelevant, other than whether your workouts indicate it's reasonable or not.

(and despite my statement just above - it's very important that the goal of your workouts be to provoke a physiological response, not to validate fitness...)

Did the 6 miles at 7:00 pace feel hard but not anaerobic?  If so, then you probably did it right.    I can't make any judgments on pace because I don't know a) your fitness (your recent half was downhill, I believe) or b) how altitude affects you.

I think you could slow down and go a bit longer next time, but I'm not sure what you're achieving with that - you'd just be somewhere in the grey area between lactate threshold and marathon pace work.  Better to shorten it some and speed it up - try a 3-4 mile tempo at the pace you think you could hold for an hour or so.

I especially recommend this for you because it seems like you already do a ton of miles.  You don't need any more strengthwork.  You need to bump up your top end with stuff like 3-4 mile tempos, 2 mile repeats, and 800s at 5K effort.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Hey to everyone.  Good luck to those running CIM (assuming it happens)!

Thanks - it's looking like a go right now!

My week: 49 miles plus 16 "miles" pool-running.

M: DIY yoga and 8 "miles" pool-running.
                        T: 11 miles, including 1600, 2x1200, 800 in 6:16, 4:39, 4:32, 2:58.  Also injury prevention work and recovery swimming.
                        W: 8 miles very easy (8:58) plus drills, strides, DIY yoga.
                        Th: upper body weights, core, 8 "miles" pool-running.
                        F: 10 miles, including a 3 mile tempo in 19:09 (6:28/6:22/6:19).  Also injury prevention work and recovery swimming.

Sa: 8 miles very easy (8:48) followed by drills, strides, DIY yoga, and upper body weights/core.
                        Su: 12 miles - first 3 very easy (8:58) and then balance at moderate effort (7:43).  Also drills, strides, very light injury prevention work and recovery swimming.

Running Problem

Problem Child

ace Don't worry...2,018 is going to be even harder for me. It's kind of a motivating factor at this point to go out and keep "marathon base" on point so even if I lose I'll still win.

Keen Dude, I just realized the USABMX Grand Nationals were in Tulsa. First place is a 7 foot tall trophy that unscrews so you can mail it home. It's the super bowl of BMX racing (grew up doing it) so if you're ever looking for a sport for DDs #1-3 to do BMX isn't the worst and Thanksgiving every year is the biggest race and it's in Tulsa. Even the 5 year old kids get the 7' trophy. I was thinking about you when I saw a social media post about it. Oh and I've run alone (local) in a marathon as well as in groups. At this point I think the alone might work, but just like WSG helped you through 16, and you'll see on 4/20/20 if you go, running in a race where you're getting passed, and passing, the entire time just has a way of pushing you along. Just take some turns wide at the start.

rlk X in tahoe? what? Are you talking about Tahoe Tessie? As for Donner...yeah...it's kind of a "secret" when EVERYONE from the Bay talks about South Lake. Even my friend said South Lake was a zoo...the day after Thanksgiving....with fresh snow. He doesn't know a zoo. Just remember when you come to Donnor the Safeway is REALLY small and locals (me) don't appreciate you forgetting how to grocery shop or what to make for dinner on a Friday night. Somewhere around Auburn it seems brain function slows.

Almost 50 miles for the week. I think I'm getting sick. CIM IS THIS SUNDAY!!!! We need bib numbers. I have a friend running it. I told him to take the first right hand turn wide because EVERYONE seems to want to cut it sharp. I WANT to drive down the day of and run the last 6ish with him but I don't know the logistics of getting to "the wall" on race day.

the treadmill was THE HARDEST run to stick with. I don't know how I can't watch Life Below Zero for hours on the couch but you put me on a treadmill and it's like I'm checking the distance every 5 minutes to notice it's only been 2 minutes (quoted from max) and I contemplate gearing up to run in 20+ mph winds and 40F temps. I tried to make up for it and got high on Saturday (700'gain over 4 miles.) then tried to run 7:00 pace downhill. Yeah...I'd need a LOT of leg work for that. I'm not sure an all downhill marathon is much of an advantage unless I do a TON of squats.

Weekly Summary
                          Monday, Nov 19, 2018 thru Sunday, Nov 25, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                          Day Miles Pace Description Link
                          Mon 4.6 9:03 That time I'm not sweet enough strava
                          Tue 8.0 8:22 That time we do more than the minimum. strava
                          Wed 7.3 8:38 That time I didn't want to help decorate strava
                          Fri 3.5 8:59 Treadmill strava
                          Sat 11.0 8:28 That time I REALLY didn’t want to put up Christmas lights. strava
                          Sun 8.1 8:07 That time it was the only time. strava
                            42.5 8:31    

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Speed Surplus

Rough week with Thanksgiving and the June edition of Tunnel selling out (sapping a bit of my motivation). Still got a few runs in and am happy to report that my parents' new neighborhood is a little more viable for running, so it'll be easier to keep up mileage when we visit through Christmas, etc...

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                            Day Miles Pace Duration Description HR Egain Link
                            Mon 3.4 8:47 0:30 Just a shakeout. Shoulder and obliques sore from...wait for it...playing Yahtzee with kids 136 (74%) 0 strava
                            Mon 18.6 3:10 0:59 Back on my BS (bicyclette superiore) 120 (65%) 754 strava
                            Tue 18.6 3:27 1:04 Foggy and slow 121 (66%) 988 strava
                            Tue 18.6 3:10 0:58 Cruising for dinner 121 (66%) 758 strava
                            Thu 6.3 8:25 0:52 Exploring folks' new neighborhood 140 (76%) 287 strava
                            Fri 7.8 8:58 1:10 Super hilly, ugh 147 (80%) 796 strava
                            Sat 1.2 8:23 0:10 OK it was go-karting 104 (57%) 0 strava
                            Sun 1.0 8:30 0:08 WU 133 (72%) 0 strava
                            Sun 0.3 5:49 0:01 400, messed up lap counting 117 (64%) 0 strava
                            Sun 0.8 5:37 0:04 3x400 120 (65%) 0 strava
                              76.6 4:42 6:00     3583

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

max- ah yes, Burke Gilman missing link was indeed it. Pretty sketchy mile or two through the Shilshole parking lot :|

dwave- oh wow! What will you do in Sactown for 3 days - work remotely?

btw, the Camp Fire is now 100% contained. No resurgence of smoke.

brew- I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that at 30+ miles away, donner safeway isn't your local grocery store Wink but i guess you'll be happy to know that i did end up bringing some pyrex-ed food from home that weekend since it was so spontaneous!
                              "you put me on a treadmill and it's like I'm checking the distance every 5 minutes to notice it's only been 2 minutes" - oh yes. the story of Nov 8-21 for northern/central CA runners.

taper tantrums in full swing.

was supposed to do 5@~MP or slightly faster yesterday. I did 3mi at ~7:10 and felt like trash and started getting sad/worries about maybe being a fat and unfit slug .... so I stopped. And no coffee 'til Sunday. #prayforRLK

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Running Problem

Problem Child

brew- I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that at 30+ miles away, donner safeway isn't your local grocery store Wink but i guess you'll be happy to know that i did end up bringing some pyrex-ed food from home that weekend since it was so spontaneous!
                                "you put me on a treadmill and it's like I'm checking the distance every 5 minutes to notice it's only been 2 minutes" - oh yes. the story of Nov 8-21 for northern/central CA runners.

taper tantrums in full swing.

was supposed to do 5@~MP or slightly faster yesterday. I did 3mi at ~7:10 and felt like trash and started getting sad/worries about maybe being a fat and unfit slug .... so I stopped. And no coffee 'til Sunday. #prayforRLK

It's more local to me than other tourists. Check out the museum and statue you pass going to the Lake entrance next time. Kind of cool. There is also a little dirt trail that stems off the loop on the South east side. Good luck going nuts without coffee. Black Friday is commonly my "no more beer" day. Caffeine I've always been afraid would have negative effects AND I once read it takes like 2 weeks for caffeine withdrawl to be worth it.

runningwarehouse cyber monday sale includes headlamps, and the 2017 hardrock Ultimate Direction vest. I can't imagine why it's $100 off when it's extremely hard to get in the race and it's already over. I've been taking the Ultimate Direction EDC bottle (previous version I think) out for runs. Not bad and holds at least 5 gels in the pockets.

No run today. I'm probably going to be sick this week.

VDOT 53.37