2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

dwave- oh wow! What will you do in Sactown for 3 days - work remotely?

btw, the Camp Fire is now 100% contained. No resurgence of smoke.

Technically I'm on vacation, but I'll still end up working some on Thursday, I'm sure.  And catch up on Game of Thrones and do other hermit-stuff.

Sacramento is a LONG trip for me - the flight is over 6 hours and I'm flying out of Baltimore, which is 45 minutes to an hour or so from me, if no traffic.  The trip was fairly tiring last time, which is why I'm traveling so early this time - so I have plenty of time to recover.  My rule for flying to marathons is to pick the last day I could get there without compromising my race, and then leave a day earlier.  Usually, that means an early Friday morning flight.  This time, that means Wednesday afternoon.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Wow - quiet here.

Brew - you asked for bib #s - they're not out yet.

7 miles, including 4x800 in 3:03, 3:00, 3:01, 2:59.  Also a bit of recovery swimming.  Getting a massage later today.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Delurking to wish best of luck to DW!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

dw I know they're not out yet. Mostly a reminder for those who will be there. I think I have 4 or 5 people to follow. Depends if calbears posts his up.

Any work from Jim these days? He doing okay?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Yeah, definitely quiet around here! I'll do a RR-style write-up of my family's traditional apple butter making session this past Saturday if I need to!

DWave - You seem to have the whole racing and travel thing pretty much down to a science.

I've decided to go out on a limb and try some shoes with "more cushion" to them (Altra Duo) since I happened to be in need of a new pair and found a good deal. Two runs in and I'm not seeing a reason to stick with these over my usual daily drivers. It's not that they're bad, but I'm not blown away. Perhaps I'll try the Torin after I wear these out in a couple months.

All the fast people in the OKC area (and a big bunch of the less fast people) will be heading to CIM, so I'll have a bunch of people to track as well. I'm quite anxious to see how everyone does.

Has anyone tried the Roll Recovery R8? I've heard some good things locally but haven't been able to try one myself.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

AceHarris

Keen: Bring on the Apple butter!! Feeling recovered?

I ended up running the turkey trot last week. Ran 18:11...the EXACT SAME chip time as last year. Not really sure what that means after a week off and a week easy after the marathon. Really did not feel great. Lacked turnover, mild upper stomach cramps. Not much race mentality either. A training partner was with me and left me with 3/4 mile to go and I just didn’t go with him. Remembered why 5Ks suck. Definitely did not get me excited about a speed cycle.

Enjoyed 10 easy miles in cold weather today despite having bad stomach cramps from eating a greasy lunch.

CIM Folks: How we feeling?!?

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

I spotted Jim across the field at XC regionals this past Sunday (was postponed from the prev Sunday due to smoke). Didn't get to chat. I bet he's running CIM.

ace- honestly, questioning my new training strategy and goals and everything. meh. I need to watch an inspirational movie or something.

ckeen- I've borrowed friends' Roll Recoverys. They are great - it's like foam rolling except it's forced on you. Good thing to do while sitting on the couch. V painful on calves or if you accidentally hit bone. They seem pretty expensive for a "unitasker" though ... >$100, right?

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Thanks to all for the good luck wishes. (including our delurker - Jmac)

RLK - I think it's totally normal to doubt everything during taper.  I think the only reason I'm not (well...too much) is because I've already done two of these things this year.

Although I do keep worrying that my training cycle was too short (and then remind myself that both 20s went well, and I've racked up a lot of miles this year that should be worth something).

(and then I find something else to worry about).

As for how I'm feeling - optimistic.  I feel like I've got the fitness, the course, and hopefully the weather.  So now I just need luck and good execution.

Ace - I'm assuming that last year that 18:11 felt like a great accomplishment?  If so, then luxuriate in how something that was once meaningful is now meh, because you've advanced.

I have a roll recovery.  I don't find it particularly painful, but that may be because it's one size fits all, and I'm pretty small.  It's easier to watch TV while using it than while using a foam roller.

I had a nice jog in the park with fornobravo tonight...  he's fit and full of energy

Good luck to CIM'ers this weekend: dw, rlk, caliB, and ?jimE

CalBears

Thanks for good wishes! I believe my bib # is 6068

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

pepperjack

pie man

I'm headed out of town (Wyoming) so i'm not going to make it down for the race.  Good luck everybody.  I had a taste of the Sac magic running out by Folsom a few times, pretty sweet.

I did 18 on Sunday.  Didn't actually feel great afterward.  I think my shoes are beyond shot.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Ace - Apple butter is so good! Especially when it's still hot and you get to scoop out some from the bottom of the kettle with a piece of bread once all the canning is done. I could probably type up quite a report on it.
                          My legs are feeling recovered, but my HR is slightly higher for pace than it was before the marathon. I kind of expected that, though. I figure I'll start some strides this week, then reps next week.
                          Same 5k time as last year, but given the week off and a week of easy running post marathon? I take that as a good thing. What was once difficult is now mundane.

RLK - They are pricey, but they're also considered "medical devices", so I could use some of the funds my employer puts in my HSA every year so I wouldn't be out of pocket for it. I still need to try one myself, though.
                          I agree with DWave about doubting during the taper. In mine I was seriously doubting whether or not I could run 26.2 miles at ANY pace, let alone fast enough to hit my goal time.

Exciting stuff happening in the rapid tiebreaks in the world chess championship! I may or may not have a live stream with commentary and analysis up all day.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

ckeen- oh, nice!! I will use my HSA tonight for sports massage. They come in handy.

I think I am as excited about Jeopardy being on Netflix (Battle of the Decades! Brad Rutter, Ken Jennings, Chuck Forrest, etc!) as you are about the chess championships :P

Rx for this morning was 2mi@6:35-:45. Did it in 6:41s, preceded by drills and strides. Gotta tune that muscle tension! (https://www.scienceofrunning.com/2010/03/key-to-running-fast-on-race-day-muscle.html)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Rx for this morning was 2mi@6:35-:45. Did it in 6:41s, preceded by drills and strides. Gotta tune that muscle tension! (https://www.scienceofrunning.com/2010/03/key-to-running-fast-on-race-day-muscle.html)

Interesting - I thought muscle tension was much more important for shorter races (miles and such).  I can see how it would have benefits at all distances, though.

Bib #s are up on the website - I'm 2178.

On my flight right now.  Guy next to me has a bad cough.  Ugh.  (I am, as always, wearing a flu mask, plus eyeglasses to shield the tear ducts).

Did 5 miles very easy this am (8:38) plus drills, strides, and some DIY yoga.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

yeah, it is certainly more important for shorter stuff, but still wouldn't want the sleepy/dead leg feeling on race day.

do you wear a mask on all flights, or just pre race ones?

i can't find the bib number search? meh.

_________________________________________________