2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Lauren - Nice week. It's good to see that I'm not the only one who gets watched by hawks - over the summer a red-tailed hawk sat on the fence immediately outside lane 8 while I did a number of workouts.
    Here's hoping for a favorable soccer schedule. My oldest plays (maybe the middle one this season) and making 10AM games makes it difficult to get LRs in.

Ace - What's with all the sick kiddos?? Your description paints a very vivid picture - almost like I've been in a very similar situation myself... Hope they're all doing well and you're still avoiding the bug.

After yet another round of sickness hitting the kiddos this past week I finally got something myself. Likely nothing more than a 24-48 hour bug, but I missed my run this morning and just want to sleep!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

Yup. Sickenss season for the miniture adults weighing less than 200 lbs.

ace with 1 I can't have him puke on me while watching a sibling. I CAN have him do it while watching a cousin.

12x400m today. Mother nature decided to throw some head winds at me for some of the harder tries. Seemd to stick with 90-95 seconds for them. A little slowing down for the last few seconds on most (Garmin beep countdown) and light jogging (10:40-11:20) inbetween. Not AS hard as I recall and I guess I'm supposed to try my leg workout tonight too. I DID see a free Bowflex on craigslist this morning. I was very tempted to pick it up before work but seeing as how I just got rid of the treadmill I don't think putting a bowflex, no matter how much I wanted one before being a runner, in it's place is the best idea. I also saw there are only a few exercises and TRX bands are just a lot easier to store.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I think where you to stay depends a lot on budget.  Anything close is going to have a premium for the race (or just the cherry blossoms in general, I guess).

Sent him some recs privately.  Looks like a lot of hotels have already sold out.

CK - glad your mojo is back.

Lauren - glad to see you back - an indoor mile sounds insane - just too many laps for me.

PJ - I realized a bit later that I was assuming that "Peruvian" meant rotisserie chicken.  Because it does around here.

Beryl - that long run sounds insane as well, but I would expect no less from an ultramarathoner.

Brew - A bowflex would just end up being a tree for drying shoes in my house.

10 total today - 6.5 very easy to the gym (9:18), upper body weights/core, and then 3.5 easy home (8:47).

Went to a presentation last night by Dr. Brian Fullem (podiatrist, wrote a good book about running foot injuries, college buddy of my coach).  Really recommend going to his talk if you ever get the chance.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

pepperjack

pie man

I bet there’s rooms available at the trump place...pause for reaction...

(Kind of a shame, my dad worked on the historic preservation of that place back in the original pavilion days.  It was a significant thing to save it back in the 70s when demolishing stuff was the typical procedure)

11:11 3,000 (recent)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I bet there’s rooms available at the trump place...pause for reaction...

(Kind of a shame, my dad worked on the historic preservation of that place back in the original pavilion days.  It was a significant thing to save it back in the 70s when demolishing stuff was the typical procedure)

Hah.  When I was scanning hotels on Google maps, I saw that one priced out at $500 a night.

6.5 very easy to yoga (9:36), yoga, and then another 5 very easy (9:00). Also drills+strides.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

DWave - I was doing some research on updated models of shoes I wear coming out for the spring and found a mention that lead me to something you may be interested in: Takumi Sen 5. Get your Google translate ready, and maybe an eBay account because they don't look to be shipping to the US (yet).

Everyone in my house if finally feeling better - DW and DD2 got the bug right after I did. Hopefully I'll be able to get out during lunch for a short run.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

DWave - I was doing some research on updated models of shoes I wear coming out for the spring and found a mention that lead me to something you may be interested in: Takumi Sen 5. Get your Google translate ready, and maybe an eBay account because they don't look to be shipping to the US (yet).

Everyone in my house if finally feeling better - DW and DD2 got the bug right after I did. Hopefully I'll be able to get out during lunch for a short run.

Oooooh, I love the Takumi Sen as my 5K/10K racing flats, and I'm going to Japan in May...

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

AceHarris

I know I’ve got some CA folks in here and probably some wine lovers too, so I thought I’d make a shameless plug for my brother’s longtime partner, Erin. She’s a wine maker in Napa and was highlighted as one of the up and coming wine makers in CA. Here’s a link if you’re interested

https://www.sfchronicle.com/wine/article/2018-Winemakers-to-Watch-13475935.php

And to make this this post more legitimate...I ran 10 easy miles this morning. 72 to go for 2,000!

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I know I’ve got some CA folks in here and probably some wine lovers too, so I thought I’d make a shameless plug for my brother’s longtime partner, Erin. She’s a wine maker in Napa and was highlighted as one of the up and coming wine makers in CA. Here’s a link if you’re interested

https://www.sfchronicle.com/wine/article/2018-Winemakers-to-Watch-13475935.php

And to make this this post more legitimate...I ran 10 easy miles this morning. 72 to go for 2,000!

I'll post over here since YOU JOINED THE SUB 3 AND HAVEN'T POSTED OVER THERE SINCE JOINING 

If you run 2018 for 2018, I will buy some wine from her. There's your motivation for the rest of the year. 90 miles over 11 days is easy.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

AceHarris

Jmac: I accept the challenge! I found out quickly I can’t keep up with multiple forums! I also tend to post less when I’m not training as much.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Oooooh, I love the Takumi Sen as my 5K/10K racing flats, and I'm going to Japan in May...

I am very tempted.  They are on Rakuten, but not in my size currently (23.5 CM).

That's the problem with racing flats being unisex - they don't make very many pairs in the small sizes, so if you're a woman with small feet, it's even harder to get a pair.

Upper body weights/core, and 8.5 "miles" pool-running.  I'm planning to focus on upper body strength some for the next few weeks, and pleasantly surprised myself by doing 3 sets of 8 dumbbell presses on the incline bench with the 35 pound dumbbells (during marathon training, I was stuck on the 30s, since I couldn't get the 35s into position).

I'm hoping that I might actually be able to work my way up to the 40s before getting really serious about running again.

[and no, dumbbell incline presses aren't the only thing I do at the gym - they were just a pleasant surprise today]

Running Problem

Problem Child

I'll post over here since YOU JOINED THE SUB 3 AND HAVEN'T POSTED OVER THERE SINCE JOINING 

If you run 2018 for 2018, I will buy some wine from her. There's your motivation for the rest of the year. 90 miles over 11 days is easy.

“We don’t need your kind around these parts. Yankee.”

Youre going to cost me some beer. There should be some days of snow for his daughters to enjoy and limit his running.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Such a calm time in these parts - races are done, goals are either accomplished or a pipe dream, people are partying and/or cleaning up kid puke, and basically doing anything but hanging out with one-step-above-imaginary friends.  For asocial loners, it's a nice time of year.

PJ: Wow!  That is a fast 5k.  What were you doing trying to run NeverSummer?  Stay in your lane for maximum self-affirmation.

Darkwave:  Prolotherapy sounds like magic.  Any risks/downsides?  I envy people with decent health insurance - we had that for a long time but recently we are in the "pay huge premiums, and then pay for all our health care during the year unless something really bad happens" demographic.  I go see the PTs because they can usually figure it out and rarely do something that takes 5 minutes and costs $1000s.  Whine...

Brew: I'm always training.  Races happen along the way.  Rarely, I focus on one race, but any given race is often also training for the next thing.  That's why I've set all those world records.  I see it's headwind season again for you.  I've heard Dec is windy there, along with Apr, Jul, Jan, Sep, Feb, May, Jun, Oct, Mar, Nov, and Aug.

Keen: Those are the nice hill repeats.  Try 3 minute intervals at 5k+ effort.  You'll unfriend me on everything.  But nice job anyway.

Beryl: Quite the long run!

Lauren:  Hi again!

Ace: Nice job trolling those sub-3 people!

My last 7 days:

Fri: 9 easy + pool running

Sat: 15 easy (longest run since Crooked Road)

Sun: 7 easy

Mon: 11 with 10 25 sec strides + pool running

Tue: am 7 easy pm 3 easy

Wed: am 9 easy 4 brisk walk + pool running

Thu: 9 with 2x11x(1min fast + 1 min easy)

With the pool running and walk, it was about 96 miles.  Plus untold hours doing strength and rehab exercises.  I guess I'm training now.

2018 yearly mileage forecast...  I'll be around 1100 (my lowest in 12 years)... but I missed 6 months with injury, so not too bad...

I decided to start weight-lifting this week, starting with the dead lift... amazing how weak I've become.  ooof.

Running Problem

Problem Child

dwave I passed on the bowflex for the same reason. Unloading a free treadmill to replace it with a free bowflex when I haven't used my TRX bands for a year kind of seemed stupid. I don't need a coat rack in the garage.

max well at least you can narrow down the time you want to visit. Maybe if they had some trees here it wouldn't be so windy. Thanks for the advice of races being on the schedule. Maybe if I do another ultra I'll listen up more. I guess belt buckles don't break like pint glasses.

rlk hope you're having fun.

ace just take a day or two off. 5K speed doesn't need so many miles. Oh and a bottle of Weller Special Reserve Bourbon made it to my house so I don't think I'll need any wine.

keen you going to make it to 3,000?

Anyone know how kk is doing with kiddo #2 growing inside her? I think she told us in June or July.

NeRP seems to be done with the fever/RSV/pink eye and just has a cough. Slept through the night last two nights and still eats non-stop (99th percentile for weight, 34th percentile for height) which is a good thing. Grandma gets him today so dad loaded him up on drugs. I totally skipped on working out yesterday when he decided to sleep for 3+ hours (daycare naps are 1.5 hours.).

I get to do speed work on Christmas. I guess I could take out my fast Nike shoes and be disappointed I didn't opt for the 4% version.

VDOT 53.37