2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

pepperjack

pie man

Max - I know, but I can't help myself.  I ran that track mile six days before Bighorn back in the day.  I feel like that was decent range.  I sorta want to try Never Summer again this coming year.  I'll be a little better prepared this time having left the low coast.

I know I’ve got some CA folks in here and probably some wine lovers too, so I thought I’d make a shameless plug for my brother’s longtime partner, Erin. She’s a wine maker in Napa and was highlighted as one of the up and coming wine makers in CA. Here’s a link if you’re interested

https://www.sfchronicle.com/wine/article/2018-Winemakers-to-Watch-13475935.php

And to make this this post more legitimate...I ran 10 easy miles this morning. 72 to go for 2,000!

Aww.  Lake County, that's me.  Here's shot of Big Valley from a hike.

(Konocti, Hannah, and Cobb in the background.  I'm not 100% sure, but I think Konocti is dormant but not extinct!)

Speaking of Lake County, I have to leave my forest.  I'm a 1039 employee, which means I can't work more than 1039 hours in a calendar year (one hour short of six months).  Since I was hired weirdly at the beginning of August, I can't work at my particular forest again until then once my hours have been used up.  But it doesn't count if I go anywhere else.  So I have to go to another forest to get back on season.  Frankly I didn't want to be seasonal very long, but seems it might be necessary for a little.  And I like what i'm doing.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

AceHarris

Brew: I just bought a bottle of Weller Special Reserve! Got if for a Christmas party booze exchange. We missed the party due to the aforementioned sick kids, so now it's in my cabinet to enjoy later. As for the weather, I think you have more power than you think. Skipped my run this morning because it was 40 degrees and pouring rain. Looks like the weather will be like this for a while. Going to have to run more this weekend than planned to get to 2000.  I agree I don't need as much mileage for 5k training. However, I hate 5k training, so I might as well add some miles.

PJ: nice pic! I never knew the hours is why it is called a 1039, just figured it was IRS mumbo-jumbo. Switching forests to jump through regulatory hoops sounds like an efficient process.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Darkwave:  Prolotherapy sounds like magic.  Any risks/downsides?  I envy people with decent health insurance - we had that for a long time but recently we are in the "pay huge premiums, and then pay for all our health care during the year unless something really bad happens" demographic.  I go see the PTs because they can usually figure it out and rarely do something that takes 5 minutes and costs $1000s.  Whine...

The risks/downsides of prolo is that it takes 5 minutes and costs $1000s....  Little physical risk - just the risk of infection at the injection sites.  Or, I guess, mixing up rat poison for the sugar water that is supposed to be injected....

No, seriously, it is expensive ($500-900 a session is what I pay) and is not covered by insurance in my experience.  [I know others who have paid less and/or have gotten theirs covered by insurance, so does seem to be individual to doctor and insurance provider.]

There's also the troubling fact that there's not much evidentiary support for it working, and some medical professionals believe that it's snake oil....

I do it because I believe I've gotten great results out of it.  Nagging tendonitis gets better when I get it injected, and my lax ligaments tighten up.  It's not due to resting either - I don't generally take time off after prolo, other than maybe the day right after.  (and that's one of the things I like about it - I can have something pop up, get it injected, and have it heal and go away without having to back off of my training).

I think prolo is one of those things that works well for some people and poorly or not at all for others, and I'm in the first category.  I also understand that different practices use different formulations of dextrose/whatever, and differ in how they perform the injections (my doctor uses ultrasound to guide the injections; not every practice does that).  That may partially explain why not everyone has the same results from it.

Or maybe it's just the placebo effect.  I decided some time ago that I really didn't care as long as I was getting exactly what I wanted from it, which was nagging and nascent injuries healing while I trained through them.  Smile

Rovatti - 1100 for 6 months is solid.

Brewing - I think I too will be doing some fast running on Xmas day.

PJ - glad you're enjoying your job so much.

12 miles, including 8 hill sprints of 60-70 seconds each, with 2:30 recovery.  Standard easing-back-into-things workout.  Also leg strengthwork and recovery swimming.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Max - 5k effort up hills for 3 minutes? That sounds brutal. I may just try it Monday! I'll be at my parent's, so a big hill will only be ~1.5 away. At home a hill long and/or steep enough to last 3 minutes at 5k effort is a bit harder to come by. The one I used Monday would probably qualify (though it flattens a bit after the first 200m or so), otherwise the nearest hill that could outlast that is 4 miles away.
          What Bad Idea are you training for now?

Brew - Glad NeRP is doing better.
          Another wave of sickness hit the whole family this week and I lost 2+ days of running as a result - 3,000 is possible still, but not likely. It wasn't a goal to start the year to begin with, so it won't bother me too much if I miss it.

I may have found a substitute for my Bad Idea 100 miler that was derailed due to a likely hunting trip: I've heard rumblings of a Turkey Trot from OKC to Tulsa. Very informal, and wouldn't be unduly messed with by the family trip.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew: I just bought a bottle of Weller Special Reserve! Got if for a Christmas party booze exchange. We missed the party due to the aforementioned sick kids, so now it's in my cabinet to enjoy later. As for the weather, I think you have more power than you think. Skipped my run this morning because it was 40 degrees and pouring rain. Looks like the weather will be like this for a while. Going to have to run more this weekend than planned to get to 2000.  I agree I don't need as much mileage for 5k training. However, I hate 5k training, so I might as well add some miles.

first off....If you find a bottle of Weller Antique 107, or 2, (red label) let me know the price and I could probably hook you up with a FedEx label. Secondly,

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

pepperjack

pie man

Aaaand I'm shutdown.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Aaaand I'm shutdown.

Yeah.  I'm sorry.  It sucks.  That was the topic of conversation on today's run (ran with two fed employees - one works in public health and is essential, the other works for NASA and is not).  Frustration all around.

My team usually meets for our weekend runs at a NPS facility, where races are also held regularly.  Apparently, because of the shutdown, a race that was supposed to be held this morning lost its permit.  I watched amused as the race director announced that it was no long an official race, but he was going to set the clock up anyway.  And if people wanted to all simultaneously start their runs at the same time he started the clock and just happen to turn at the same point, that was fine with him...

10 miles easy (8:55) plus drills, strides.  Then hit the gym for upper body weights/core and some DIY yoga.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

My week:

M: 7 easy

T: 6 with intervals at the armory 8x600@2:09 with 200 recoveries

W: 5 easy

Th: 10 easy

F: urd

S: spin

S: 10 easy

total = 38

Xmas eve with the in-laws on Long Island, then to N.Mex to see my side of the family.

Happy holidays to everybody!

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Safe travels, Rovatti.

In other government shutdown news, all the bathrooms on my local running routes are once again locked.  Sadly ironic.  I was running with a group of teammates that included a federal prosecutor and a secret service agent - both are deemed essential/exempt, and so have to keep working without pay.  And yet, no bathrooms.  I can't think of anything more essential than an unlocked bathroom when running.

My week: 56 miles of running, 17 "miles" pool-running, and other stuff.
                    M: yoga and 8.5 "miles" of pool-running.  Foam rolling at night
                    T: 6.5 very easy (9:18), upper body weights/core, and 3.5 miles very easy home (8:47) plus drills and strides.  Foam rolling at night.
                    W: 6 very easy to yoga (9:36), yoga, then 5 very easy (9:00) plus drills and strides.  Sports massage in afternoon.
                    Th: Upper body weights/core and 8.5 "miles" of pool-running.  Foam rolling at night.
                    F: 12 miles, including 8 short hill reps (60-70 seconds up; 2:30 jogging recovery back down).  Also leg strengthwork and recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.
                    Sa: 10 miles easy (8:55) plus drills and strides.  Later upper body strengthwork and core, plus DIY yoga.  Foam rolling at night.

Su: 12.5 miles progressive - first 5 averaged 9:00; next 4 averaged 7:48; last 3.5 averaged 7:07.  Also leg strengthwork and recovery swimming.  Foam rolling at night.

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Not as far behind as usual.

PJ: CO races are fun, based on my N of 1.  Sorry about your work limbo.  Sigh.

DW: I agree about placebo effect - if it works, it works.  It's like those Nike shoes that people believe make them faster.

Keen: If you do those hill repeats, do 4-5 repeats.  You'll probably start too fast on the first one.  If you get one minute in, thinking "no way I can do this for 2 more minutes" but can, that's about right.  They suck.  I don't sleep well the night before I do those.

Rovatti: Enjoy the SW.

We don't have a lot of public bathrooms around here - I've learned which grocery stores I can duck into.  There are a few bathrooms at the lake near my house that I do gazillions of loops around each year.  A couple weeks ago I was about to have a bathroom emergency towards the end of the long run - turn right and my house is 1/4 mile away, turn left to do my last ~3 miles and pass a bathroom in 1/4 of a mile.  I turn towards the bathroom, hoping that the stall isn't occupied.  I arrive at the bathroom, fingers-crossed.  Yes!  The door to the stall is open.  I get to the stall and realize why there is no one in there.  I briefly consider heading into the women's room but instead run 1/2 mile back to my house, carefully pacing myself so I go as fast as possible while maintaining control over every muscle in my body.

Couldn't one of those Secret Service guys shoot the lock off the door?

berylrunner

Rick

90 mile week.

I had a big Tuesday with an am 11 miler and a pm 8 mile interval workout.  Half mile repeats.  I hit my target paces.  Followed up Wednesday with a 22 mile long run.  That combo beat me up.

Saturday was 27 miles on a .3 mile loop on the rim of a cinder cone.  The kicker was the 110 ft of gain per loop.  84 loops with a total of 9300 gain.  It was a fun group run with everyone just choosing their own distance and a potluck aid station.

One more big week and then I start thinking about a taper schedule.  Merry Christmas all.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Max - Recovery on those hill repeats? Full? I'm still planning on doing these as soon as I feel like I'm past these bugs..

Side note not at all related to running: VPNs are awesome, and make the world go round!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Speed Surplus

Happy holidays, everyone!

For about two seconds I was going to make one last push to hit 1,500 miles for the year, then I hit a few speed bumps and had to call it off. I'll end with something like 1,450 miles (after being at 900 by 6/10).

I will also finish with just over 1,000 miles cycling, though. That's something. I'm not sure what, but something.

See you in next year's thread!

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Keen: Just jog back down the hill.  It usually takes about as long to go up hard as it does to come down easy (if the hill is steep enough), so yes, it's pretty much full recovery.

I have to run 37 miles in 7 days to roll the 2018 odometer from a 3 to a 4.  I hit 103 last week so I'm hopeful.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Not as far behind as usual.

Couldn't one of those Secret Service guys shoot the lock off the door?

I'm pretty sure he wasn't carrying.  I'm told it is challenging to run while carrying.  My one friend who ran NYC with the president of Estonia while carrying "protective equipment"  ran 4:02 in NYC, and then 2:57 two weeks later in Philly.  So there you go - 1 hour 5 minute differential.

Hi to the rest of y'all - CKBerylSC.  

Did yoga and 9 "miles" pool-running this morning.  Looked at my annual mileage for the heck of it - I'm currently at 2545 miles and 942 "miles" of pool-running for the year.  So either 2500 miles or 3500 miles, depending on your perspective.