2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Darkwave That's the point of them all. I got SUPER lucky finding that wrench and getting it to be 10.75 AND 40.00 (39.99 here) for the week. I couldn't slow down because the group was going that fast although even when I was solo (after that stupid hill) I still couldn't slow myself down. It's as if my legs said "na we're use to 40 mpw. We're feeling good."

keen WHOA! You don't just ASK for a pancake recipe without some kind of formality, or beer. I'll see what I can find. It's pretty simple from what I know.

KK excellent. At least I know  I'm doing it right. DW was as worried as I was about me ACTUALLY being sick. How's training? I feel the same way about coaches. I've progressed so far with what I've done I haven't needed. Maybe if I set a goal and can't reach it multiple times I'll get a coach but until then I'm going coach-less.

FB-GUY: [rant on] HOLD THE PHONE! YOU'RE FWAKING UP THE "BAY AREA". Sacramento isn't The Bay Area. Santa Rosa isn't The Bay Area. Humboldt County (Avenue of the Sequoias) is NOT THE BAY AREA. The Bay Area goes from San Francisco to San Jose, and San Pablo to Milpitas. I don't care what Wikipedia says. [end rant] I don't care what rlk says her friends consider "the bay" (san fran).

matt 103 miles of bike commute? DAMN!

Rune Yeah....my wife kind of knows I schedule stuff on weekends around running but I also schedule running around weekend things. It's going to be hard training for Chicago with a few camping trips but I'll have to figure something out. My wife accepts I run on lunch as much as possible but I've also started trying to do more at home with my time in the mornings. Cleaned the kitchen and stove this morning. As for not starting too fast, I've done a few things to combat that myself. 1, check lap pace early and often. 2. consider making it 1/4 or 1/2 mile increments for auto lap. You'll know pretty soon if you're pushing 6:00 pace. The beeps COULD get annoying. Good luck with 1:35. That seems fast to me right now.

max wait...Boise?!??! That's like 9 hours driving there and 7 hours driving back...what's going on up there?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

dex8425

I found the new thread! Glad to see some familiar faces, er, avatars.

Smax-you are coaching. That seems appropriate.

Wanted to post because it looks like I will have another IRL forum encounter with Nick next month. Cycling trip/visiting my sister who got married and moved there.

Hosting the superbowl over the weekend was fun.

AceHarris

Matt: thanks, I know where Lake Norman is. I lived in Matthews for a time.

Solid workout today. It was my longest set of intervals to date. A little over 10 miles total.

2 mile warmup

2x200 w/ 200 jog rest - 38, 39

4x2000 w/ 60s rest - 7:38, 7:34, 7:31, 7:07 ( paced the first few around 6:00-6:05/mi range, last one was supposed to push and averaged 5:42/mi).

2x200 w 200 job rest - 38, 41 (got a little lazy on the last 200, thinking the workout was over)

2 mile cool down

I think I prefer the longer interval type workouts, especially compared to 400s, yuck.

Did some adulting today and got a new couch. Always exciting. As soon as it was delivered the kids were running and jumping on it. It'll get broken in pretty quick, I think.

Pesto: hey! Sounds like life is busy! Your workouts are looking good on Strava. Keep it up!

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

mattw4jc

matt 103 miles of bike commute? DAMN!

I ride around 13-15 miles one way, averaging about 26+ miles per day. If I ride the full trip all 10 times (5 x 2), then I'll be around 130 miles. Last week I had Friday off, so one day missed. Sometimes my wife picks me up or meets me halfway home.

Ace - yep, been to Matthews a couple of times, but it's been awhile. Nice workout today. I think mile intervals are about my max. Although I have done 3 x 3mile before, but that's not so much intervals as broken up tempo miles.

fb-guy

Brewing. Well played! It's true that Sacramento is in the GREAT CENTRAL VALLEY, which (am I offending anyone here?) is about as far from the Bay Area as you can possibly mentally go. I grew up in the valley and still have family there, so I can be rude. BUT, the Northface Challenge goes from Rodeo beach on the PACIFIC across Marin to the bottom of the GOLDEN GATE bridge. Twice. So that counts. The Sequoias -- OK, too far. Santa Rosa -- hmmm. Big Sur is on a BAY. Just the wrong one. JimE is a cult hero in Oakland, so that counts. SLO has a good university. So, you have that.

Hey RLK.

19@8:29. It looks like I can at least finish a marathon.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

matt- bike commuting! yay!

fb- ciao!
              "[sacramento is] about as far from the Bay Area as you can possibly mentally go" hahahaaaa. ha. yes.

brew- lol. agree with your statement.

dex- hello!! good to see you again, also nice to see all your biking and xc skiing on strava Smile

oh yeah, fly - something something superbowl. woo!

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Running Problem

Problem Child

I grew up in the valley and still have family there, so I can be rude. BUT, the Northface Challenge goes from Rodeo beach on the PACIFIC across Marin to the bottom of the GOLDEN GATE bridge. Twice. So that counts. The Sequoias -- OK, too far. Santa Rosa -- hmmm. Big Sur is on a BAY. Just the wrong one. JimE is a cult hero in Oakland, so that counts. SLO has a good university. So, you have that.

Hey RLK.

19@8:29. It looks like I can at least finish a marathon.

Ah so that's the reason. North Bay (Santa Rosa, Marin Headlands, a big famous prison, Pliny the Elder, etc.) isn't "The Bay" just like the bridge on the Golden State Warriors logo isn't the Golden Gate Bridge, it's "The Bay" bridge (I'm sure no one cares because the only bridge in California is the one at Big Sur and the Golden Gate). I mean, if 2Pack can't even get it right (Oakland to Sac-town, the bay area and back down) I can't expect people not from there to get it. Also, TNF changed the course this year so rlk's homeboy could get more road miles because he can't hang with the big boys on dirt.

http://www.irunfar.com/2012/11/2012-tnf-ec-50-mile-course-change.html

http://running.competitor.com/2017/06/trail-running/big-changes-north-face-endurance-challenge-california_164968

Dex/Kev I was going to ask what it was like on Super Bowl weekend. SF booked up and rented every single thing out (including a couch) and people complained they weren't making their usual income. The best part was they were an EASY 45 minutes from there on a normal day.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

All of that stuff is just California, which of course doesn't matter because it's the wrong coast.

Pesto - I understand the need to pull back, but please don't be shy about popping in.

Dex - glad you found us!

9 "miles" pool-running this morning.  Debating whether to run tomorrow or give the lungs one more day to be safe.  The weather may make the choice for me, since an ice storm may be rolling in over night.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

runethechamp

Regardless of the exact extents of the Bay Area, the areas of the Bay Area that are close to the bay are great for running, year round. Although we need more water and winter it's nice to see temperatures in the low 70s in early February.

Ran easy 6 miles this morning. I felt all old and creaky when I left the house with my legs being a bit sore from Sundays 19 miles (at almost exactly the same pace as fb), but at the end I was thinking that it was pretty nice to be out running in the morning. I might have to try that some more.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

oregonrw

I know nothing about the Bay area -- I've been to Monterey, does that count as Bay area? Different bay I guess, but regardless, it's beautiful.

6 miles very early this morning, then some core work and foam rolling.

Matt: 130 miles a week biking is some pretty impressive cross training!

Ace: Nice workout! I like workouts that have short and fast repeats on the end after the longer stuff.

FB: Good job on the 19. When is your marathon?

Darkwave: Ice? Yikes. Maybe it will skip DC.

Runthe: Morning running is great because it gets out of the way first thing -- if I wait there always seems to be some reason why I can't fit it in. On the other hand, I'm usually half asleep by 9 pm, so.

fb-guy

Having trouble picturing TNF crossing the golden gate and finishing in Crissy field. The hills are what make a Marin race a Marin race.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

pepperjack

pie man

Definitely got some ice in the area today.

Oregon - the pool of champions!  Did they swim with any phelpses? Close your eyes for this next part.

We've been doing workouts in the big park in the city lately.  A lot of us live nearby and nearly all of us run there, some on a regular basis.  I started the workout but I was lagging behind because of miles and stopped before everyone else.  I was waiting by our meeting point when an unmarked car pulled up with police inside.  Foxtrot (search helicopter) had been shining the spotlight nearby but you get desensitized to that pretty quickly when you live here.  The guys in the car basically said I should leave the area immediately because there were four muggings nearby in the last 30 minutes.  I still waited for everyone else and we buddied up as we went separate ways to cool down. Ah, Baltimore.

I sorta wonder if they just wanted us out of the area so they could search easier.  I've been out walking the dog when foxtrot has put the spot on me (once where they had a guy cuffed right nearby) because they see movement and I'm trying to get elsewhere quickly.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

turtleboy

Well so much for my plan of keeping up. I'm on the Pesto plan of lurking as much as life allows. Honestly the only reason I have time today is because school got cancelled. Oh how I love having time to eat breakfast and then go running, in the daylight no less. Plan is to run for two hours in heavy snow and as many hills as I can find. I'll make an effort to comment a little more. I do love reading about people's weeks and coaching opinions (I like the concept but haven't had good luck with any so far.) You guys are great!

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

Having trouble picturing TNF crossing the golden gate and finishing in Crissy field. The hills are what make a Marin race a Marin race.

Oh don't worry, still plenty of hills ... the course now starts between SCA trail and 101, if you can envision that, and the first .5mi are like 500ft of climb. I think the total elev gain is even a bit more than it was previously. But yeah, I paced a friend for the last ~6mi and I didn't love the GGB-sidewalk-tourist-dodging and then I think navigation might have been tough for a non-local to get off of the bridge and down to Crissy following the course's route (and still dodging tourists). Weirdness and all, it made for nice finish photos I guess (see http://www.irunfar.com/2017/11/2017-the-north-face-50-mile-championships-results.html) and selfishly for me it was very convenient to hang out at the finish area Smile

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Ace ~ Nice workouts lately. I begin some racing in early March (5K, then 3000m indoors, another 5K), then a road mile and 10K in April.

Dex ~ Glad you found us. Get Nick to come back too.

Katia ~ Back over 30 is a good milestone.

PJ ~ "worlds worst cool down" LOL!

Matt ~ 70 + 100 cycling is serious aerobic stuff

DkW ~ Hope you feel better; glad it's not flu.

Champ ~ I wish 6:10 was LT! FWIW, I really do feel much better w/ shorter LRs.

SMax ~ You sound busy. Still time for good miles. I'll be interested in hearing how the coaching evolves. (I'd like to do that.)

Isn't "west of Rockies" pretty much same as "Bay Area"? 

#Workout Wednesday 30 min E + 26 min/4 miles T (6:37) + 30 min E = 11 total