2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

oregonrw

No run for me today -- some work and home stuff popped up and made it impossible.  Hate it when that happens, but sometimes that's the way it goes. I was hoping to do a workout today but will shift it to tomorrow.

Pepperjack: Yikes. I'm pretty familiar with crime in Balt -- I was a prosecutor there. I think it's gotten worse the last few years though. The murder rate is definitely up.

Dad: Nice workout.

runethechamp

Oregon - Sounds like my days sometimes, including today. I was planning on doing my cruise intervals at lunch today but we had a meeting at work I had to attend so it ended up as an evening run instead.

PJ - That sounds a bit hairy right there. If you have looked at the global Strava heatmaps it’s pretty easy to pick out the “bad” parts of a town, at least around here. There’s just not that many people running or riding their bikes there.

I got through my 4x2k cruise intervals tonight at 6:43-6:48-6:48-6:52 pace. I’m not sure how hard these workouts are supposed to be but I have a sneaking feeling it was a bit too hard for me, especially at the end. Either way I completed the workout and I feel very comfortable with my plan for Saturday.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

AceHarris

dwave: saw you were back at it on Strava. Feeling better?

rune: Nice 4x2k. Racing Saturday? I have a short term memory, you probably mentioned this earlier. Sorry to make you repeat yourself if so.

oregon: isn't it rude when life interrupts our running plans.

Overslept this morning, so will move hills to this afternoon if possible. Something about 2 out of 3 kids waking us up multiple times at night makes me tired in the morning. If I could drink coffee in my sleep, that might help.

Getting excited about the Olympics!! Anybody else? I like the Summer games better, but love the Winter games nonetheless. I try not to think about doping as I watch, makes it more enjoyable.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

pepperjack

pie man

https://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#13.37/-76.60636/39.28895/hot/run

The very bright glowing rectangle, next to the smaller rectangle that had a kidney bean shape inside is where we were.  Almost the brightest thing in then city other than along the water.  Oddly in Baltimore the bad neighborhoods are some of the best places to run if you go in the morning.  People get hassled along the water, including one guy getting pushed in the water recently.

Oregon - do you T. Decker?  He was a prosecutor for a good number of years.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

runethechamp

Ace - Yes, it’s sort of a tuneup race for my goal race at the end of March. At the moment both are halfs, but the course on Saturday is flat and fast so it will be a good gauge of where I am training wise right now. My goal is 1:35 right now but I feel like I’m in better shape than that. I will still start at 1:35 pace and then take it from there as the race progresses.

And I’m very excited for the Winter Olympics! I’m from Norway so so I grew up on watching winter sports and it’s always exciting to watch.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

I got through my 4x2k cruise intervals tonight at 6:43-6:48-6:48-6:52 pace. I’m not sure how hard these workouts are supposed to be but I have a sneaking feeling it was a bit too hard for me, especially at the end. 

Looks like pacing was an issue. Would be much better to be opposite. As to how hard, assuming short recoveries (and after you get through initial cobwebs), the last minute -- maybe -- of first two reps should probably feel like "hey, I'm doing something here", then maybe that feeling is there for two to three minutes in third rep, and you're sorta "OK, a bit of work here" for last half of last rep. You should have been able to do at least one more rep (same recovery) w/o falling apart. More than that, too hard.

But nice work. Good luck Saturday.

LOVE the Olympics. Completely, totally, absolutely. I find them magical.

Running Problem

Problem Child

ace I had a 4 and 2 year old boy over at my house the other day. They started jumping on the couch and I realized what it's going to be like when NeRP gets that age. As for sleep....yeah he had his first set of shots yesterday. I had one of those "wake up around 3:30 and not get out when the alarm goes off" mornings. Coffee is my friend.

pj I mean, as long as foxtrot doesn't put it on you and light up your path I think you're okay, but that would be SUUUUUPER convenient to not get mugged or need a headlamp. "That time there was a light from above shining down on me" HAHAHHAA!

oregon yeah Monterey is a TOTALLY different bay. Just like Santa Cruz. Which is as bad at distinguishing where you're from.

rune yeah I agree the weather there is awesome. People here are enjoying the mid 60s (not 30-40s) during the day. It's annoying when they say we need "moisture" blah blah blah, then bitch when it snows. "Oh you wanted rain over night and 65 during the day or snow above 6,000 feet because 4,500' isn't considered mountain elevation to you?" Yeah people annoy me.

intervals Longest I've done is 2x3 miles. I think the REALLY fun part is finding somewhere to do that run. Tuesday's intervals were better. RB slowed himself down for a 6:45-7:00 pace (probably where he should be) while the other cranked out some 6:20-6:25s (ahead of me) and wanted to do a 5th. He keeps saying I'm sandbagging and need to push. He's probably a better speed/interval training partner just because he pushes that little extra and is faster than me by just enough. He bought the Hanson book for $7.

Skipped yesterday's run because NeRP had his 2 month shots. He doesn't like being stabbed (imagine that) but wife said he mostly slept after the appointment. Woke up a few times but DW is saying he is doing better than most. I'm sure some kids scream all night long, run a fever, won't eat or calm down and my kid just wants a nap, some food, pain killers, and for no one to touch his legs. Check up went well. He's a fatty. Didn't get my steps in either. Woke up today around 3:30am, wife said it was 4am when I went to check the time, then I thought "he probably wants me to TRX. I'm so tired." and then my 5:15 alarm went off. "okay..so tired..one minute" 6:17. awesome. Apparently 9:30pm is "staying up late partying" now.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Dad - Nice workout from yesterday. Your T pace is the same as mine. Any chance you'll be in my AO sometime so I can finally have a running buddy for a workout??

Rune - I'll repeat my "good luck at the race" From sub-1:30 here. I'll leave the rest there, though.

PJ - That's absolutely crazy! One of the perks of living in a small town (which is still big compared to where I grew up) is that there is literally no bad part of town. It was interesting to look at the heat map for my town, though. There are parts that are obviously driven just by the school XC/track kids, as well as parts that are entirely lit up because of myself and one other guy (or each of us separately).

Brew - A sleepy baby after shots is about as good as it gets, from my experience. Girls can be quite rambunctious as well. DD1, in particular, climbs on absolutely everything she can. I also agree that 9:30PM is way too late to stay up.

Winter Olympics - I'd be more excited if I had a way to watch. I would also love if there were a marathon as part of the winter games.

I did my first interval workout that's part of a definite plan this morning. It's nice to have that sense of direction. I need to make notes of what such workouts are going to be, though, rather than just running it based on watch prompts. That way I can manually split everything myself. It was also my first time on the track since it was refinished. Nice, springy, artificial surface, which is a definite upgrade. My bond dollars at work!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Oregon - a running buddy of mine is an AUSA in DC.  Tough job.  I'm guessing you have many stories to tell.

PJ - crazy story.  The things I miss by not living up there.

Rune - I wouldn't count too much on those Strava heat maps - they can be biased by local races.  For example, I see that the heat map for DC shows a lot of running traffic on the "Spout Run Parkway."  That's a short highway usually completely off limits to pedestrians, but used as part of the Marine Corps Marathon race course.  Anyone who thought they could run on that due to the Strava heat map would have an unhappy surprise.

Ace - have you tried a coffee IV?

Agree with Dad's observations about how intervals should feel and how they should be paced.  I like to see descending splits, and also agree with stopping when you have at least one repeat left in you.

Brewing - 9:30 pm is way past my bedtime also.

As for "intervals Longest I've done is 2x3 miles. I think the REALLY fun part is finding somewhere to do that run."  - We're really lucky here to have a few different stretches of road or bike trail uninterrupted by intersections. Hains Point is a 3 mile asphalt road loop that is pancake flat and has nearly no car traffic.  Works very very well for workouts like that.

CK - refresh me - what plan are you using, again?  I assume you're doing your workout on the roads, and using watch to vibrate/ping for the workouts?

Rune - good luck this weekend!

I'm feeling better.  Did 10 miles, including a short workout of 2 miles, 1 mile (6:32/6:31 and then 6:22), followed by recovery swimming.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

AceHarris

ck: I agree, there should be a winter olympic marathon!

dwave: coffee IV would be safer while sleeping since it's not a choking hazard.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

DWave - Glad you're feeling better. I'm using a 12 week Daniels' plan. I am doing almost everything on the roads; The race has rolling hills similar to what I have around the house. Repetitions (200's & 400's) I plan on doing on the track.

While I was within 1 second of goal pace (:43) for each rep today according to auto-lap, we both know those weren't 100% accurate and I was probably farther off given my lack of experience at these. Thus the need to memorize these short workouts. I'm less concerned about being off by a few feet on the roads while doing ~1/2 mile intervals or MP LR sections.

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Any chance you'll be in my AO sometime so I can finally have a running buddy for a workout??

Winter Olympics - I'd be more excited if I had a way to watch. I would also love if there were a marathon as part of the winter games.

Where?

Not a winter marathon, cross country! It is traditionally a winter sport (fall is a US adaptation) and would bring African athletes into winter program. (yeah, yeah, I know the "on snow and ice" counterargument).

oregonrw

Runthe: good luck on Saturday!

Ace: Sorry about the disrupted sleep - I'd love to tell you it gets easier as they get older, and it does in some ways, but in others.....

Pepperjack: I know the name - we have friends in common - but I don't know if we overlapped or not.  Is that Patterson Park?

Dad: I agree - I like finishing feeling like I could do one more.  For some reason the second to last interval always seems the hardest.

Brew: My kids did the same with shots - initial scream of anger, then sleep. Actually I'm probably the same way.

Keen: Wait, our watches aren't 100% accurate??

DW: Yup, lots of stories. Baltimore is an interesting place.  Nice workout today and glad you are feeling better.

Olympics:  I love them.  Summer, winter -- I'd watch spring and fall if they had those as well.  It doesn't even  matter what sport - during the Olympics I'll watch any of them. Go curlers!

I started my run this morning fully intending to do 800s, but felt a weird twinge in my left knee. I figured I'd warm up and it would work itself out, but it really didn't, so I just ran an easy 6 instead of 800s.  It still feels a little weird - not sure what is going on. Hopefully nothing.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Dad - I'm just outside Oklahoma City. Good ol' flyover country! I had no idea XC was typically a winter sport. Then again, my school only had baseball and basketball.

Oregon - Shocking, isn't it? Especially when you hear people talking to RD's after a race about how their course was too long. Hopefully the knee is ok tomorrow.

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4

dex8425

Brew: Super bowl wasn't too bad. Had a lot of friends who rented their homes out. We didn't, because we didn't want to leave, and our house only has one bathroom. We live pretty close to downtown, but even so traffic was only noticeably bad immediately in downtown, and then at the airport Monday morning. Monday was the busiest day in MSP airport history.

Olympics-rooting for Jessie Diggins (Afton, MN) to win the first U.S. women's olympic xc ski medal ever. Her form is looking great-I even did a run with her in NovemberSmile