2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

pepperjack

pie man

I was the one who predicted a very fast NYC marathon debut time for Jorgensen, but I'm absolutely blown away by that race.  She's as fast as Cragg at 5,000 and much faster than Hasay.  if she gets the flubber shoes as a bowerman babe look out.

Congrats to Elizabeth (w?) and pesto for their races.

I did our annual club challenge workout two weeks out from the race.  We had a workout roughly alternating a mile at race pace followed by a mile at race pace +60.  Everybody ran faster than +60 for the rest mile (I was 35-45 slower).  With fast 3 miles as a warm up warm up the 10 miles of the workout segment came in ~1:10.  Would like to go sub 1:07 at the actual race but we'll see.

I officially signed up for shamrock so that means a long run next weekend, club challenge the following one and then the dreaded T word.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DW:  That sounds like a great workout. Was it one mile recovery after each segment?

Yup - one mile easy between each segment.  17 total - 3 warm-up, then 4 MP 1 easy 3 MP 1 easy 2 MP 1 easy 1 MP 1 cooldown.

Rune - great race!  Apparently you can PR even while falling down!  And I agree with you how the first miles of the HM need to feel a bit too slow.

E78 - congrats too on your win!  And congrats to Pesto as well (I guess I need to do some Strava-surveying)

Jim - very good to see you back here.  Congrats on making your way back from the injury, and the second AG even though you're still coming back.  Isn't Napa the race that our erstwhile Hansons-butcher was targeting last year (a bit of 3:20 lore for those of you who are recent joinees)

PJ - at least you're not at risk of peaking too soon before Shamrock.  I'll be interested to hear how it goes for you.  My sense (based on all the emails I keep getting) is that they're having a hard time getting people to register this year.  Which is a shame, since they do a great job with that race.

My week: not as much mileage as I would have liked, but that can't be helped, I guess. 39 miles running plus 34 "miles" in the pool.
      M: off.  Sick.
      T: 9 "miles" pool-running.
      W: 3.5 miles very easy to yoga (9:18), yoga, and then 8.5 miles very easy (8:56) plus drills and strides.
      Th: 10 miles, including a quick workout of 2 miles, 1 mile in 13:03 (6:32/6:31) and 6:22.  Also recovery swimming.
      F: upper body weights/core + 11 "miles" pool-running.
      Sa: 17 miles, including a 4-3-2-1 workout; splits of 27:15 (6:50/6:48/6:50/6:47);  20:22 (6:49/6:48/6:45): 13:33 (6:48/6:45); and 6:45.  Also injury prevention work and recovery swimming.
      Su: 14 "miles" pool-running plus DIY yoga.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

OMR

max:  if you are looking for someone to crew you on saturday, i could do that, including driving you to the start.  if you still have my info, feel free to text me.  it's only 100k, though, and i think there are only a few places for crew to stop.  and i've never crewed anyone before, so i'd probably screw things up.  so...if you are looking for someone to "sCREW things up for YOU" on saturday, let me know.  otherwise, i might see if they need volunteers.

rune:  well-run race, congrats!

e:  you, too!  awesome!

pesto:  yep, you as well!

Jim:  good to see you back from injury, and a nice half and ag placement!

Dwave:  "...erstwhile hanson's-butcher..."  ha!

no running for me this week.  i've stopped elliptical workouts as well, and am just doing strengthening and core work until things improve.  so far, things haven't.

trying to get a bit more balance in my life now:

...15K two weeks ago... half last week ... marathon in two weeks... some trail running and hiking too....

my week (knee still gimpy and I seem to be about 5 years older than I was last year...)

• M: urd
            • T: 6 with track intervals (3x800,2x600,3x400)
            • W: 1h XT
            • Th: 6 with 5K hilly tempo
            • F: 1h XT
            • S: 4 + 1/2h XT, weights
            • S: 4 +1/2h XT

total = 20

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

OMR: Wait, wait, wait.  I'm trying to understand your last post.  It sounds like bad things happened, or no good things happened.  I strained a calf last week and for the past few days I was wondering about my own race, but today's test run went well enough.  That totally sucks that you aren't running.  I was looking forward to that.  I do hope to see you somewhere, preferably the finish where maybe you can do something more fun than lube my crotch.  Oh wait, it's not ok to ask for that before 70 miles, so...

Rovatti:  Only 5 years older.  Luxury.  My family grew up in a shoebox, and it feels more like 8 for me.

Dex: Nice to see you.  I was thinking about you a few days ago.

Sir Jim: Nice to see you as well.  Glad to hear about the trail stuff.

Champ: Well done on your race!

Brew: Nice to get the NeRP updates.

Ilana: Nice to see you running on Strava.

Olympics: Watch Icarus if you haven't.  Then you won't need to watch the Olympics.  Major time savings.

Coaching:  Since I have almost none of the qualifications Darkwave says to look for, I feel well qualified to have a few opinions:

1) Business Dilemma:  Coaching is pretty expensive for the clients, and not lucrative for the coaches (less than minimum wage so far for me based on the time I spend).  2) People who post in an online running forum are not the sweet spot for likely clients.  3) People who are clear on their need can benefit.  E.g. one of my clients signed up for the Machu Picchu marathon (bills itself as the hardest marathon in the world, something like 13000 feet of climbing, all at altitude) and she thought a crazy person might be able to help her get ready.  4) Look for a coach who is clear on what they can do.  E.g. I say I can coach beginners and intermediates.  I don't think I'm the right person for someone who is trying to get an Olympic medal.  A friend also started coaching recently - she's a little faster but basically we have similar experience and knowledge.  She says she can coach advanced runners.  Uh-huh.  I sell myself as being able to help someone who is attempting something ambitious and scary, which I think I can do.  5)  It helps if the coach can show they adapt to the runner, vs. making the runner fit the formula/system/plan.  This is part of the reason why it's not lucrative for me - each person is different.  But it is fun.

As I said above, I strained a calf last week but it looks like I'll be able to start Black Canyon next week.  I'll probably have to fight off all the autograph seekers there, given my new UltraRunning fame (in the very tiny fine print).

jaimegu

Hi all,

Olympics:  We are following it here,  They broadcast it in public and subscription channels.  I take whatever I get from there (except figure skating), action packed hockey or strategic curling (yeah, I got used to see that every winter).

I have to admit that Winter Olympics has artificially increased the number of events, it's just ridiculous.

Re: Icarus:  I saw it and I follow professional cycling... It hasn't reduced the amount of enjoyment... However, this Sky "Postal" / Chris "Fraudme" saga is dragging the sport down.

My week:

Weekly Summary
                Monday, Feb 05, 2018 thru Sunday, Feb 11, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                Day Miles Pace Description Link
                Mon 7.5 7:56 Easy Run strava
                Tue 8.8 7:08 Tempo 7.5k@4:05. Haaaard! strava
                Thu 6.4 7:36 10k easy Run... Before football strava
                Thu 3.1 21:49 Indoor football strava
                Fri 6.2 7:47 10k easy Run strava
                Sun 19.1 8:25 La longue du dimanche avec Luc strava
                  51.1 8:47    
                pepperjack

pie man

Dwave - that assumes I didn't peak in November.

I did an easy 8 this morning, 49 for the week.  Lots of easy stuff besides yesterday's long workout.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

fb-guy

Jaimegu -- where are you located? Sorry, just figured out the aime gu, longue run thing. You're fast. A 48:00 10K at 128HR. Nice.

OMR -- I can't tell. Are you starting to run some ginger miles? How's Mr. physio and that strength and flexibility thing working out? I'm always tempted to lash out whenever I hear some tell me that strength and flexibility will solve everything. It's probably true, but it takes a long time.

Rovatti -- crap. Old just sucks. Me; I'm going to get get stronger glasses today. Can't read a thing with my old ones.

Max -- have fun; I think that's the right word.

PJ -- excellent. Don't fear the taper. Isn't that the name of a song?

I'm still sick as a dog and am sleeping in the guest bedroom because I cough and blow my nose all night. The cat hates me. I had an OK week. I am signed up for the Marseille marathon mid March 18, but it overlaps with DD2's spring break and we're trying to figure out what to do for family fun. If that blows up, I'll have to find something else.

4@8:26

19@8:29

4@8:45

4@7:55

4@8:14

4@7:35

10.5@7:45

50@8:13

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

Champ ~ Congrats. Always nice seeing someone hit their goal.

Oregon ~ Good for you for backing off scheduled workout. That's smart, something we don't see enough of.

CDR K ~ Don't think I'll be near OKC anytime, umm, ever, but thanks for invite!

FB ~ Interesting, umm, "logic".

DkW ~ Strong workout.

JimE ~ Glad to see you pop back in, although I had same reaction as Rovatti. (Speaking of, bummer on knee)

OMR ~ Sending healing vibes.

King Ches and GJ had impressive weekends.

My week:

M) 7.5 w/ strides

Tu) 9

W) 11 w/ 4 mile tempo (6:37)

Th) 7.5

F) 9

Sa) am: 4 & pm: 10 w/ 5x600m (2:10 avg; 5:48 per mile) w/ 90 sec recovery, then 5x200m (38s; 5:07 per mile) w/ 200m recovery

Su) 14 hilly

Total: 72

Feeling a bit tired. One more big week before I start cutting back.

Pesto

I'm still lurking a bit. Just a quick drop by to congratulate rune and e78 on very well run races!

And to thank y'all for the congrats! The race PJ was referring to was a HM yesterday. I was planning on running it at MP (or a bit faster) as part of a 20 miler. I did so for the first 15 kms, but with 6 kms left I decided to speed up some. I ended up finishing in 1:25:56. Quite surprised since I still felt great and was able to complete the remaining 6-7 kms of my LR afterwards with plenty of energy left. 62 miles for the week (most so far), and 8 weeks left for Paris.

omr - sorry to hear about the running/elliptical hiatus, hope things turn around soon.

jimE - good to see you here and all the best for the FM in two weeks. Any goals?

DkW - great LR on Sunday and quite a nice week.

rovatti - hope the knee issues disappear (or become more manageable) soon!

fb - great week for being sick! If Marseille doesn't work out, maybe you can run Paris too?

max - kudos on taking up coaching and also on the crotch lubing comment

jamie - great week! Nice tempo a LRs.

5K - 18:03 (5.18) | 10K - 37:58 (2.18) | HM - 1:20:45 (9.18) | FM: 2:57:59 (10.18)

OMR

OMR -- I can't tell. Are you starting to run some ginger miles? How's Mr. physio and that strength and flexibility thing working out? I'm always tempted to lash out whenever I hear some tell me that strength and flexibility will solve everything. It's probably true, but it takes a long time.

I've stopped everything except for strength and flexibility.  I think the PT has the right idea, and I've noticed some improvement, but you're right, it's a long-term solution, and it will take a while for things to settle down.  I slipped a little on the ice yesterday and had to catch myself with my left leg, and clearly things are not back to normal yet.  So...I'm now hopeful that maybe I can start running again in March.

jaimegu

FB: Montreal, QC.  My nickname is related to my first name and 2 letters of the last name, however I have a hard time to make people spell/pronounce my name right (either EN or FR). As long as it's not official documents, I don't care anymore.  Get better soon!

Pesto; Congrats!  1:25 in a tune up race, while running 3/4 of the distance at MP and energy to complete a 20 miler after, tells a lot about your shape.

All this makes me wonder if I'm planning my tuneup half correctly.  I think I can PR there and I plan to do a minitaper by having a shorter LR the previous week (whatever in the 22K to 25K range), and frontload that week, taking at least 2 days off.

Pesto

jaime - that makes sense to me. I have my tune up HM in a month (4 weeks before Paris) and will do something similar. After Wednesday I'll only run once (on Friday), probably just an easy 5 miler. It seems to have worked for me in the past.

5K - 18:03 (5.18) | 10K - 37:58 (2.18) | HM - 1:20:45 (9.18) | FM: 2:57:59 (10.18)

dex8425

Gwen Jorgenson- 15:15?! Indoors, wow. I follow her on various social media outlets and have even seen her running in St. Paul before. She's up to 80-mpw now but trying to get to 100-120. Still cycling and swimming 3-4 times/week along with running. Definitely a fan of her and Pat and rooting for her to make her Tokyo marathon 2020 goal. Looks actually doable.