2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

keen wait...60 MPW for a HALF marathon?!?!?! DAMN! I should look into that Daniels training plan but I don't have much time to try and go for 1:30 if I'm going to go for it in April. I don't have many other half marathons in town that would be good for a goal race.

doping side note I was explaining to DW last night. If there were a pair of shoes I could buy that would make me faster I probably would. Just like the Olympians saying blue is a faster color I have been known to wear orange from time to time during a PR. While it might not ONLY be due to wearing orange there is no denying wearing orange has lead to PRs for me and for this reason I will probably always have some sort of orange included with my race day outfit.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

AceHarris

Doping: Is it a rampant enough problem to say the elites who win "won it fairly" because everyone doped and they were still the fastest or is that a ridiculous thought to accompany this run on sentence with poor grammar?

Duke: thanks for your admittance to using synthetic fabrics and electricity. I won't hold it against you. Nice week!

6x800 workout this morning with some warmup and cool down miles. Total workout was a little shorter than planned so I could get to work on time.  800s were 2:53, 2:44, 2:47, 2:44, 2:46, 2:38. Pacing was a little variable as I was in a group of 3 and we alternated who led. Initial goal was 2:50.  It was nice to run with some others. My faster efforts are definitely getting easier. HR of 170-180 now has a lower respiratory rate than previous. Is this what getting in shape feels like?

brew: when I begin talking about running with my wife, she's not all that interested. No question she's supportive of my habit, but it's not her favorite discussion topic. Nick would be proud of your attachment to race day orange. I too heard the segment about blue being fast. Interesting.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

oregonrw

More doping: A Korean speed skater was sent home from the Olympics for testing positive for a banned substance (I think at an earlier competition, not at the Olympics).  Speed skating is another sport that seems like it would have plenty of doping issues -- but maybe he was just kissing his girlfriend too much before the race (see Gil Roberts). Watching the Olympics I try to put my skepticism to the side and just enjoy it -- last night's snowboarding was pretty spectacular.

Keen/Brewing: I ran my best half marathon when I was training specifically for a half, and was probably around 50-55 mpw.  I know a lot of people PR in races while training for a marathon but I think there is something to be said for specificity.

Ace: Nice 800s! Track workouts seem so much easier when you're with other people.  Not that they are ever easy, but I find them nearly impossible alone.

OMR; Sorry to hear about the injury. I hope the PT can get it resolved quickly.

I ran 6 miles at lunch today, with 5 x .2 hill repeats on a 5% grade.  I had planned on more but at 5 decided that was plenty.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

just wanted to say hi everyone! i'm lurking / reading all of this interesting dialogue on doping. carry on!

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Are y'all following the Torrence story?

I didn't suspect foul play when Wanjiru died, but I have definite concerns here...

(I'm sure Sam is posting on the thread under one of his many pseudonyms)

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

yeah. really scary and sad. it all seemed weird at the time ... "found in the pool" "no signs of foul play" and nothing else. hope LRC's mike rossi-style investigative skills can come to a noble end here.

fb-guy

Enough of this depressing doping stuff; what about chafing.

Guys, how do you stop chafing on long runs. Do you wear running shorts with a liner under legging in the winter? Tights with your shorts outside (very stylish)? Nylons sweats? Something else?

And summer. Running shorts? Running tights?

Then there are buns and running skirts.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

pepperjack

pie man

Once I bought the rabbit shorts (quadzilla) I hesitate to do longer runs in anything else.  They really are very good for that problem.  Bonus, I got several comments as I passed people in the park yesterday before my workout.  They make a longer version if you're not into remarks from the peanut gallery, but they just look strange to me.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Running Problem

Problem Child

fb guy I use glide and I've wear Brooks shorts with the inner liner. I bought 3 pairs of them when they were on sale and I wish I could find a couple more. I get it between the thighs/buttocks. The things I've found help are glide, more miles, and comfortable shorts.

ace Just think...I was doing 0.46 miles in 3:00 and you're doing 0.50 in 2:50. Solid paces. Oh and my wife kind of shows interest in my running talks but I think it's more to hear me talk. She runs for fitness, not for fun. Running is stupid. lol

half marathon I'm not sure aiming for a half marathon PR, with my current running, would combine well for a PR. It's about 1 month to try and switch from 5K speed focus to half marathon. Downside is I'm not sure of any "easy" HMs I could cherry pick nearby. They're either the week after a long ultra race/team run which would be nice because it starts Chicago training, or really close to Chicago and I'd rather not aim for a PR right before a PR. I could just scrap it and go for another 50K/50 miler in May. Max would be so proud.

5x1,000m wasn't too bad yesterday. One or two felt a little tough and I had to kick it into gear for the last one but I also didn't run for 3 days so the numbers might be artificially inflated.Looking at the Daniel's spreadsheet in the 1:30 thread I hit just about 20:00 5K 1,000m interval pace (3:56). It's on the slower end even using McMillan and a 44:00 10K fitness it calls for 6:28-6:51 pace so I'm on the faster side. I still don't know what to look at for pace but I think it's because I've always had a recent race to use for fitness level. This is a weird place for me to be.

Tempo runs for the next two weeks might build some confidence for race day but somewhere in the back of my mind I still can't answer the question "Is this a pace you could keep for a 5k?" Depending what I look at it should be 6:52-7:10 pace. Using my 20:40 PR from 2 years ago it's a little slower. I might just try for 7:00 because its' a nice round number.  The other thing I'm telling myself is not to train where we WANT to be, but where we are. I guess with absolutely nothing but a goal I can only train as hard as I can. I might have an epic blow up in March or a whole new set of paces to train at.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

OMR

dex:  Left leg only, mostly on the outside.  I had another PT appointment yesterday, and I "think" we have unraveled most of it now, in terms of figuring out the issue(s).  Pain is now centered around the biceps femoris, where it attaches below the knee.  That got worked over yesterday, and things felt better this morning (but still not quite runnable).  They also had me try single-leg Romanian deadlifts yesterday, and I pretty much just fell over every time I tried to do one.  So that's a thing.

fb:  Lube, lube, lube (I use Sportshield).

Speed Surplus

Enough of this depressing doping stuff; what about chafing.

Guys, how do you stop chafing on long runs. Do you wear running shorts with a liner under legging in the winter? Tights with your shorts outside (very stylish)? Nylons sweats? Something else?

And summer. Running shorts? Running tights?

Then there are buns and running skirts.

Body Glide works for me, but I hate how expensive it is and how much the substance itself deteriorates on the stick. I've suspected for a while that I could use a regular deodorant stick to the same, if somewhat more pungent, effect.

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - Yup. Peaking at 60+ for a HM. Hopefully This will lead to a big PR, as I've certainly never done this type of short/fast work before (200's, 400's). I will say that I'm used to much more LT work, though, so that's taking some getting used to.
                          How long before Chicago would any possible PR-worthy HM's be?

Rovatti - I was out of the loop on that story. Need to dig deeper there.

FB - I haven't had issues with chafing, but as a precaution will use 2Toms sport shield (sometimes blister shield in my socks). Especially if it's raining or I'll otherwise have to contend with puddles. About the only complaint I've heard about this stuff is that you do have to have soap + water to clean it off; water (and sweat) does nothing to this stuff on their own.

PJ - I'm a fan of Rabbit shorts, especially when I can pick them up on sale (gotta sign up for those email alerts, sigh). My one complaint is that none of them have sufficient pockets to carry all the gels I would need for a marathon.

OMR - Good for at least approaching getting the issues figured out, and starting to feel a bit better.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

jaimegu

Chaffing:

I tape nipples with micropore for everything that last 30min+  It's a matter of bleeding

I use 2in1 shorts, thermal tights or compression underwear always.

I loved the Reebok 2in1 shorts and I would love to have more of them as they are almost gone.  The Adidas are heavier although have zippered pockets (pockets are a must for me to save ipod, cell, car keys, gels, gloves, beanie, whatever I happen to carry that day).

For longer runs (2h+), I apply Vaseline on feet, belly, underarm, between leg and buttocks.

Vaseline can stain your clothes.

So happy with my tempo run yesterday because my avg HR was 151 for the 9Km @4:05/km (and 141 for the whole 14Kms).

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

Body Glide works for me, but I hate how expensive it is and how much the substance itself deteriorates on the stick. I've suspected for a while that I could use a regular deodorant stick to the same, if somewhat more pungent, effect.

body glide is just vaseline in convenient packaging. (and, you know, pink packaging if you are female because if you use the "regular" stuff your skin will probably disintegrate, professor quirrell style. -_- ) good ol' petroleum jelly is my go to!

and +1 on rabbit shorts. i have one pair i got on nice sale from RWH (story of my life) and they have an awesome, big pockets and are super comfy. the sizing is kind of weird though, all the reviews recommended sizing up from regular so i did and now i wish they sold smediums  because the waistband stretches a smidge over the course of a long run, which is juuust enough to make them feel a bit  too big.

also, pet peeve.... CHAFING. rather distinct from anything chaff-related:

DukeDB

Brew, Ace, ... the rest of you - these sub-3:00 800m intervals are impressive.  I've built to the 10x800m workout in prep for marathons before, and I like shorter sets even in the off-season, but 3:00 is something of a speed limit for me.  Perhaps I should make a deliberate effort at it, in hopes of improving my mile - 5K results.

Chafing - I'm lucky, haven't chafed except in rainy conditions.  My solution to that is a wool running shirt if it's below 45, and no shirt if it's over 45.  I recognize that's not an option for everyone . . .