2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Keen Something around May-July might be nice. Beginning of Marathon training could be a good time to have a HM pace/PR to work with. I could probably aim for April to get a good assessment of where I'm at OR I could aim for a 10K and do the half marathon to keep the streak alive.

duke I previously did the Yasso 800s as a marathon predictor. It worked in that I ran the pace listed. I'm not sure doing 800m repeats at a 6:30 pace is a good indicator of even doing a 5K at 6:30 pace. Heck, plenty of people here have 1:30 or faster half marathons and can't hit 3:15 in the marathon. I don't think it's fair/smart to use one distance to expect much and I'm saying this as I'm 24 days from a sub 20 attempt.

rlk "vasoline in convenient packaging" is probably pretty true but you could just say that about any anti chaFFing lube/stick/magic wonder I guess. I like the convenient packaging. I'm sometimes weird about having stuff like vasoline on my hands. It doesn't come off, like, ever. I can't imagine having cold hands with residual vasoline on them during a marathon. I'd be kind of pissed the entire time..and afraid to wipe anything.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

fb-guy

dex:  Left leg only, mostly on the outside.  I had another PT appointment yesterday, and I "think" we have unraveled most of it now, in terms of figuring out the issue(s).  Pain is now centered around the biceps femoris, where it attaches below the knee.  That got worked over yesterday, and things felt better this morning (but still not quite runnable).  They also had me try single-leg Romanian deadlifts yesterday, and I pretty much just fell over every time I tried to do one.  So that's a thing.

Wow. Do you think you have just run too many miles over the past few years and have worn down the muscle strength around that knee? Compensating with other muscles to hide it?

Good to see light at the end of the tunnel. There is the theory that just by reminding your brain to fire-up the ignored muscle and getting the impulses firing that you start building strength right away.

Hope it goes well.

Chafing. I found running boxers at Decathalon (sports superstore) that seem to be working under winter running tights. Trying to figure out what to do in the spring. Then there are marathon toe blisters.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

AceHarris

I use Aquaphor to prevent chafing. It's similar to vaseline, but thicker and less greasy. We have it around because I put it on any rash the kids get. It amazingly helps about any rash so far. It's cheap too.

I love 2-in-1 shorts. I need to get some more. The rabbit shorts sound appealing!

Signed up from my marathon on 3/25. Good News!! I got free entry through my coaching service! So...I immediately spent half what I was going to spend on the race on some running gear. Rationalization is my friend.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Signed up from my marathon on 3/25. Good News!! I got free entry through my coaching service! So...I immediately spent half what I was going to spend on the race on some running gear. Rationalization is my friend.

I once read an article or something about "annoying things runners do. My friend pointed out "complains about how their clothes won't fit but won't buy new clothes. Spends $200 on a race and $60 on a pair of shorts for running and $100+ on shoes." I'll never forget it.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

keen wait...60 MPW for a HALF marathon?!?!?!

I guess you think I'm really crazy. That's my 17 week average and I'm training for 3000 meters! (To be fair, I'm also doing a mile, 5K, and 10K this spring.)

Ace ~ Strong 800s; how much recovery?

The DT story is very sad. He seemed genuinely beloved.

FB ~ Wear the boxer running underwear under tights. Glide if needed in summer.

Oregon ~ Nice job w/ hill repeats; knowing when to say enough is a skill.

Jamie ~ Good news on the tempo/HR.

OMR/FB (and a heads up for all you young people) ~ Balanced strength and mobility/range of motion becomes more and more important each passing year. I've been doing Jay Johnson's lunge matrix and leg swings consistently for several months now and, less consistently (but enough) his strength and mobility routine, yoga, and Jay Cardiello's "Run and 10" routines.

McMillan's "Even Steven" this pm: 30' easy, then 10' @ 7:03; 2' rec (9:00ish), 8' @ 6:40, 4' rec, 6' @ 6:18, 6' rec, 4' @ 6:04, 8' rec, 2' @ 5:46, 9' rec, 1' @ 5:30 ... 11.5 total. I really like that workout; touches everything from MP to mile.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Ace - Aquaphor is great stuff! That's what DW and I have used with our girls.
              Awesome that you got that free race entry. I would have celebrated by putting some of that savings toward new running clothes as well.

Brew - So I'm not the only one who has exhibited that behavior pattern? I have more pairs of running shorts that fit than I do "regular" shorts or jeans...

Dad - That's pretty healthy mileage for a 3000. When are you next goal races?
              I'm a fan of the Even Steven workout. Or at least the structure, as I've only been able to do the short version of it myself.

For some reason over the last couple days DD3 has decided to start fussing right when I need to head out the door to get my run in, so I've gotten out way late the last couple mornings. Hopefully this doesn't turn into a habit with her. Random DD3 fact: She loves the song "My Girl" by The Temptations. For some reason that one song will calm her down no matter what's going on.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

dad- ooh, training for track! i'm doing my first track meet in something like 8 years this weekend (in jim and our new 320er rune's neighborhood). thinking of the 1500, 800, and 3200, though I would ditch the 8 if the schedule seems a bit type. i am quite nervous - not sure why. track feels more intimidating - there's nowhere to hide!

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

dex8425

OMR- Is it just from not using quad muscles and overworking other muscles around the knee? Would skate skiing, which is essentially lunges and one legged squats over and over, help? Wonder why it's only one side though. Were you wearing shorts in the 40 degree weather yesterday? I walked around with no coat, just because it might make spring come faster.

Ace-I also use aquaphor. We even take a small container of it doing ultralight backpacking.

RLK- the 800?! Sounds awful. I wouldn't have enough courage to do a track race period though.

Brewing-yeah, the yasso 800's were a poor predictor for me. I could always run 2:50's, but will never run a 2:50 marathon.

Lotsa miles for track-I'm surprised at how much Emily Infeld is running. Heck, she's running more than Gwen Jorgenson.

On the road in MN

HI!   - Figured it was time to start being more active on here!   Was on Running World - joined the sub 3:20 topic here in 2017 - but kinda got lost with there being so much more activity/posting here!   Hard to keep up and get to know folks.   Figured i'd give it another go - need somewhere to vent my questions and thoughts on training!   Driving my wife (also runner) and likely my morning running partner crazy with running talk.  lol

This week marks 18weeks until my next goal race - Grandmas Marathon - figured it was a good week to join the discussions here!

Was hoping to hang with the 3:15 pace group and gun for a 3:13 or so.... but since moving to two a week hard workouts on a treadmill this winter various paces have gotten awfully difficult to stay within recommend heart rate ranges (often low) - yesterday I thought, heck, what is my current BQ and what would some of the workout paces look like...  now I'm thinking maybe 3:06 isn't such a crazy longshot (instead of waiting 1.5yrs and quantifying at 39....to Run/Apply as a 40yr old).  Well workout held together and HR stayed in expected range.... well see.  https://www.strava.com/activities/1408521459 8.5mi with 24' threshold and later 1mile Intv/Threshold alternate.  We'll see... just hate to have a timid goal now... like last year... change up goal/pace plans with only a few weeks remaining in training.   No real training plan, my normal home brew plan from what i've found to feel good, research, forum...etc.

Will be nice to keep learning and reading... reconnect and meet new online runners.... !

I use Aquaphor to prevent chafing. It's similar to vaseline, but thicker and less greasy. We have it around because I put it on any rash the kids get. It amazingly helps about any rash so far. It's cheap too.

Agree - I use Aquaphor and don't have any issues with super greasy issue.   Seems to soak in / wipe off well.   Put on face/top of feet in winter to help with the Minnesota Winter.

5k: 19:29  Oct'17      26.2:  4:03 Oct'15  3:22 Grandmas June'17       Upcoming: Grandmas Marathon June'18 

oregonrw

OMR: Single leg deadlifts are really hard, I think, but every PT I have ever spoken to raves about the benefits of doing them.  I fall over doing them too, so clearly need to do more.

Dad: Have you noticed a difference doing the lunge matrix and leg swings? I've been trying to do a little of that before a run but usually forget. And nice workout!

Ace: Good news on the free marathon - which one?

Chafing: I have nothing to contribute, other than I used Aquaphor on my kids when they were babies and I think we still have a tube of it floating around, years later, that still seems fine so I think it's good forever.

6 miles at lunch today with 15 x 1 min on, 1 min off.  That always seems like a relatively easy way to get some speed work in when I'm planning it, but then actually doing it feels so much harder than I thought it would.  I was not shooting for any particular time on the fast 1 minute, but other than a few 1 minutes of uphill or downhill they were all around the same pace, so I'm taking that as a good sign.

oregonrw

RunandBike: Welcome!  I'm new too.  Good luck with your training plan. Have you run Grandmas before? I have always heard good things about that race.

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

spot-posting at the airport, on the way to Phoenix to probably not see OMR.

Chafing! One of my favorite topics. If it matters, use TrailToes. A big dab smeared on the jewels fixes that problem. 100 miles at Western States with lots of heat and water crossings and I had zero blisters on my trailtoes smeared feet. And it doesn't seem to stain clothes.

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Squirrels' Nut Butter also has a great rep in the ultra world but I haven't tried my samples yet. Ultra people don't beat around the bush when it comes to terminology.

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Dad, awesome training.

One leg RDLs are great. Sometimes a very light weight (if you aren't using weight) can help with balance. It comes eventually.

Omr, btw I appreciated the crewing offer - thank you. I almost asked if you'd pace instead, because I am an idiot. I'm still disappointed you wont be out there, probably less than you though.

Hi to all. I think I saw Maston running on Strava.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Nothing to contributed on male-chafing.  Chafing in general?  Body glide works for me.

Lunge matrix/yoga/similar.   I'm aligned with Dad on this, though I don't do the lunge matrix.  I have my own routine that's basically a modified yoga series, followed by quad and hipflexor stretches, and then some glute activation.

I like single leg deadlifts, lunges, and step-ups, and try to incorporate them nearly every day.    Light weights or body weight on easy days, heavy weights when I do strengthwork.

Sorry for the recent absence - balancing stuff.  Today was 11 miles, including a 4 mile tempo.  Tempo was really sluggish - 26:37 (6:39/6:42/6:41/6:36), but the effort was exactly what it should have been (I'd normally be around 10-15 seconds faster per mile).  I'm hoping this was because I was very overdressed this morning and not recovered from my track workout on Tuesday, not because I'm getting sick again.  Also did some recovery swimming.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.