2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

On the road in MN

DWave - treadmilling is such a funny polarized thing with a lot of runners - funny to hear a coach discourage it so much. From the sounds of it plenty of pro runners use them at least for some of the season - so weird that it would be a 'no-no'.  It is a bit 'different' so i make sure to treat it like any other training, slowly increase distances/intensity.

Sorry to hear your asthma is acting up!  Always amazing great to see people running so strong with it... i can't imagine one more thing to deal with!!! good luck with your LR!

I have been dealing with a little bit of lower leg issues (calf/achillies/shin) in my left leg - seemed to flare up when I was doing a lot of running on snowpack/trails... so trying to be careful with footing and stuff.  Had a planned 16 today...but since i'll be doing a 9.5 with DW tomorrow....figure i'll do 14 on the TM today.

Brewing - yes tempo comes in many flavors - I think faster tempo intervals or cruise intervals are my favorite.  Good lactate bath to muscles (compared to a light or low accumulation at 1hr 'tempo' pace) - then before they get to hard...a short recovery.... repeat.  Plus I like that if you are slightly unclear of paces/fitness it moves you through various threshold points and stays 'comfortably-hard' throughout with the short recovery.

5k: 19:29  Oct'17      26.2:  4:03 Oct'15  3:22 Grandmas June'17       Upcoming: Grandmas Marathon June'18 

pepperjack

pie man

So I ran in the rabbit shorts today, but I wore other shorts over top.  So no chafing plus pockets.  Which I needed cause my watch is somewhere and I don't know where.  So I'm using my phone which I don't completely trust.  But the time was about right so I'm living with it for now.

The wheel of weather that is the mid Atlantic spun to 'cool' which was nice.  Actually felt warmer with the sun out.  We'll see if this snow happens later.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

R+BN - my coach has some very strong opinions.  Anti-treadmills, anti-yoga, pro-pool-running, pro-non-asphalt surfaces, pro-heavily cushioned shoes.  For myself, I've found that a regular yoga practice, avoiding off-road running/soft surfaces, and wearing very thin light shoes are essential to me staying healthy, so we diverge on those.  I agree with him on the pool-running.  As for the treadmill part, I don't think it's that bad, assuming the belt is very firm (see my issues with soft surfaces) but it's not worth fighting over, given the other points that I do have to disagree with him on.

I hope your left leg gets better.  As alluded to above, I have ankle/foot issues that get triggered by running on soft or slippery surfaces, so I understand the need to be mindful of footing.

RLK - not a Xolair issue.  My understanding (you're the expert) is that Xolair addresses allergies (and thus, asthma that is triggered by allergies).  Viral infections also trigger my asthma.  I was sick with a head cold about 10 days ago - I thought I had escaped a flare, but apparently not.

PJ - not sure about the snow either - it seems too warm right now.  I've been told that it's verboten for guys to wear shorts over tights; I guess the same doesn't apply to shorts over shorts?

Long run went very well (amazing what a small dose of prednisone can do to clear stuff up).  Did 21 miles, split as first 7 miles at 9:00; next 7 at 7:36; last 7 at 6:45 (the last 7 were actually 2 uphill at ~7:00 pace and then 5 downhill at ~6:40 pace).  I wore my Adios 3s for the first 11 miles (so 7 easy+4 moderate) and then swapped to the Vaporflies for the last 10 (3 moderate+7 at MP) so I could see how the Vaporflies felt running up and downhill at MP.  Felt fine, so I'll go with them for Boston.

Followed with a purchase of 4 boxes of "Toffeetastic" Girl Scout cookies, light injury prevention work, and recovery swimming.  Now to wait and see if we get snow.

[I didn't want to wear the Vaporflies for the whole run because they feel awful at slow paces, and because the softness/cushioning of them is hard on my ankles.]

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

pepperjack

pie man

Shorts over tights.  Shudder.

All shorts with pockets are going to be longer than the rabbits and not show, so basically I was wearing them as underwear.  And that's the last I'll post about that.

DkW ~ Excellent LR! You had some pretty good weather; that always helps.

I went out a bit later, so went from sunny to cloudy and windy to sleet/wet flakes.

Either my Garmin is way off or I had an excellent workout.

5x5 min @ 5K (near 6:00?) w/ 3 min recoveries (that's Pete Magill's peak workout), then 4x200m @ 38.5ish (200m jog recovery)

Greeted by one of these when I finished:

Image result for baby tapir

oregonrw

Hi -- 10 miles this morning, with the last three faster. It went well, just really windy here today so some parts felt harder than others. My oldest son was running at the same time/place with some of his cross country teammates, and it always makes me laugh to see their runs on strava afterwards. Today one of them titled his run "Recovery 8" and they were running at 6:40 pace. "Recovery" means something different to 16 year old boys.

RunandBike: I think my one minute hard segments probably fell somewhere between 5k-10k pace. I wasn't aiming for a specific pace, just effort. I don't race very much so I end up kind of guessing on paces a lot.

Pepperjack: I watched a little of the Hopkins lacrosse game this afternoon at Loyola and it was definitely snowing there!

Darkwave: great long run! Why is your coach anti-yoga?

Dad: That's some workout - nice. Enjoy the taper. When is your race?

... and they were running at 6:40 pace. "Recovery" means something different to 16 year old boys.

As a former 16 y/o boy XC runner, I can attest that they may be calling it recovery but are putting in too much effort. Of course, 16 y/o boys are renown for thinking things through ...

Oregon ~ First race is March 4th (5K)

oregonrw

I can attest that they may be calling it recovery but are putting in too much effort. Of course, 16 y/o boys are renown for thinking things through ...

Oh for sure, which is why it makes me laugh. They can't help themselves - every run is a race. Their coach does a good job reining them in during the season, but  this is off-season and they're mostly on their own, sooooo.....Still makes me laugh. I ran track and cross country in high school, and while there's a lot that's really different (garmins, actually knowing how to train, strength training), so much of it seems the same.

pepperjack

pie man

Right after I posted I went upstairs and there were big fat snowflakes falling on the skylight.   A couple of inches for sure, roads went from pretty bad to a slushy mess.  Good for delivery, though.

OMR

I had the pleasure of "sCREWING up" the second half of max's run at Black Canyon today.  Very different weather day from last year...from what I was told, today was the nicest weather the race has ever had.  Probably got up into the low- to mid-70s in the middle of the day.  I got hot just standing around, and you could tell some runners were wilting.  max finished in 14:39, 168th place overall.  I'll let him tell the rest of the story.

Dwave:  Oof, that's a solid run.

PJ:  Sorry man, I'm not wearing tights unless I cover them up with shorts.  There are some things people just don't need to (or want to) see.

fb-guy

DW -- nice LR, but why is your coach into padded shoes? I totally believe that foot and calf strength comes from thinner shoes and developing your muscles and joints by feeling the road.

Anybody doing eccentric calf lifts? Great for foot and ankle strength; and achilles problems.

PJ -- shorts under shorts. Check. But OMR -- shorts over tights? Black socks and sandals?

PJ -- did get this right? Your running watch gone missing so you are running with your phone? Aren't phones really heavy? Do you pull to one side when you go fast?

Dad -- well done; nice workout and nice pic.

Oregon -- we had two daughters who ran HS XC and that boy/girl thing is so funny. Our girls cared (DD1 ran D3 track in college), but there is nothing like a teenage guy. Have fun with that!

The Max/OMR team -- congratulations. Max, you just keep going and that is so cool.

Back to the whole running shorts thing, my running boxers are working out really well. I got three pair (they're only $5 here) and they're great. Comfortable, light and very well organized (enough about that). So yes, OMR, I am doing the running tights on top thing (but I'm so skinny I don't think anyone even notices). Still pondering was to do in the spring -- if it ever comes.

I had an OK week here. Still sick (I wonder if running in the cold and rain has anything to do with it?), and I got soaked yesterday on my LR. Weds 10@7:30 with 750' of elevation and a fast finish felt fine and yesterday 18@8:26 with a couple of 7:30 miles to finish wasn't too bad and only three days after the fast-ish 10. The Weds run takes me back maybe three years in fitness. With 4@recovery today I will be at 54 for the week. I'm starting to seriously consider April 8 in Rome.

Happy Sunday.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

darkwave

Mother of Cats

As a former 16 y/o boy XC runner, I can attest that they may be calling it recovery but are putting in too much effort. Of course, 16 y/o boys are renown for thinking things through ...

As opposed to older runners, who are renowned for overthinking....

I do wonder if those non-recovery "recovery runs" actually do work for teenage boys, since their recovery is so fast due to testosterone, etc.

Oregon ~ First race is March 4th (5K)

St. Patties, right?

OMR - thanks for the update - eager to hear from Smax.

Re: my coach's dislike of yoga and minimalist shoes:  I think the dislike of yoga stems from a Baptiste yoga studio that was really popular with a lot of my teammates for a while.  Baptiste yoga is fairly intense power yoga with a bootcamp mentality, where you get shamed if you skip a pose.  It's held in 95 degrees F.    So some people were getting injured or having awful running workouts after going to yoga.  And I don't think my coach understands that there is a HUGE variety in yoga practices, and not all yoga is like that.

As for minimalist shoes, I think his dislike stems from two sources (I'm guessing, because my coach is not always willing to express his reasoning).  1) my coach is a fairly tall person with a power stride, and so thinks of injury risk in terms of impact.  He's not as focused on injuries that result from instability (as mine do).  So, he advocates for running surfaces and running shoes that arguably reduce impact, without focusing on whether those shoes and surfaces increase instability.  2) Minimalist shoes were a trend for a while, and when you have trends, you have people who blindly follow trends and get hurt as a result.  He saw those injuries, and is opposed to minimalist shoes as a result.

I personally agree with him that there are many people for whom minimalist shoes don't work.   And (sorry FB) I'm not personally a fan of the concept of running in minimalist shoes to strengthen stuff.  I think strengthening is best done independent of running, using wobble boards, balance exercises, etc.  Less risk that way.  But I also think that there's a wide variety of running gaits, and different gaits need different shoes.  As someone who is small, with a very light quick stride, and weak ankles, I personally don't need to worry much about impact, but do need shoes and surfaces that are as stable as possible. 

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

fb-guy

DW -- I've always gotten a real kick out of the concept of competitive yoga. Jumbo shrimp.

As a data point of one, I worked my way from mid-weight shoes to lighter shoes, and moved my foot strike from outer heel to outer mid foot, over a period of multiple years. That and lots of eccentric calf lifts. You could see the progression through the wear pattern on my shoes, which was pretty cool. But I am pretty neutral and weight about 140.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

I do wonder if those non-recovery "recovery runs" actually do work for teenage boys, since their recovery is so fast due to testosterone, etc.

Interesting thought, esp when you factor in that they tend to take frequent days off, eat a ton, and rack up nearly 24 hours of sleep each weekend.

Yes, St Pats.

Congrats SMax, despite OMR's contributions

PJ ~ I couldn't carry a phone; I don't know how people do that.

Yesterday's flakes were pretty, but I wish we had one decent snow (and snow day!) this winter.

I thought Beer Miles were hard, but just watched some Biathlon. Ooof!

My week:

M) 9

Tu) 7.5

W) 11.5 w/ "Even Steven"

Th) 7.5

F) am: 4.5 & pm: 4.5

Sa) 12 w/ 5x5 min @ 5K effort (3 min rec), then 4x200m hard

Su) 7.5

Total: 64

Russian curlers are doping???

(Can someone contact Calbears for a comment?)