2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

pepperjack

pie man

Let's see this week

M - 6 (warm up was 8:45 pace, "race" was 9:00)

T - 8.5 (3 tempoish around 7:00 pace with rest)

W- 6 mostly wasy

T - 5 treadmill

F - 3.5 am 4 pm

S - 7

S - calling it 18

58 total

Technology failed me today as my watch died and I went with the strava app which drained my phone battery after merely an hour and five minutes.  Fortunatly I had measured out 9ish so I had a place where I was going to turn back.  Time is an estimate at 2:34, should have been within a tenth of 18.  So I'm just rounding up and calling it good.

I was worried about getting my money's worth at the gym so I used the treadmill Thursday.  Now my water is frozen and not working so I am showering there so that makes it worthwhile without resorting to the treadmill for the near future.

Fb sighting.  Nice.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

FB ~ Greetings! How's life as an Expat?

DkW & E78 ~ Houston forecast looks promising. Good luck!

McBen ~ Impressive!!!!!!!!

PJ ~ Emma's WC win brought Horace's OG gold into contemporary awareness. He was in a rather select group: Billy Mills, Bob Schul, (imagine US winning 5000 and 10000 in same OG!), Shorter, JBS, Centro ...

My week:

M) 7.5

Tu) 11.5 w/ 10 sets of 6/7 hills

W) 7.5 & yoga

Th) 8

F) 11.5 w/ 20 min fartlek (2x90", 4x60", 4x30" & 4x15" on (LT-15"), off (LT+15")

Sa) 8 & core

Su) 14

Total: 68

AceHarris

Just checking in here.

Racing in Charleston on Saturday. They had a legit snow storm last week (for a souther beach town at least), but weather looks like it will be in the 40s-50s, so should be nice.

DWave and Elizabeth: How you feeling going into Houston?

Pesto: how's the new addition and DW doing?

Keen: same question ^^

OMR: enjoyed learning your intro to running in the intros page.

Here goes my first attempt at a table.

M 6 easy on the treadmill (8:00) Watched planet earth 2. Anyone ever get motion sick watching something on a treadmill? I had to take a break from watching. 
        T  7.2 - 2 up, 2 x 10:00 at 6:10-6:15 pace, 2 down  Did this workout during lunch, which I don't love doing. Prefer lunch runs to be easy, but I  over slept that morning. Goal was 6:05 pace, but hills and turns slowed me down I think.
        W  5.1 easy (8:10)  
        T  6 hills -  Essentially ran 1.5 easy, then a substantial up and down route in my neighborhood for 3.5 miles, then 1 mile down. Watch died at mile 3 which was a bummer. I was hoping to compare this hill run with my typical intervals. The hills were longer at the same effort as usual, but a bit longer recovery between hills, although a bit quicker than typical recovery. Confusing enough? Okay, moving on. 
        F  OFF thought about running to keep my short running streak of 15 days alive, but I didn't
        S  17 easy (7:50) decided to only look at the watch when it beeped every mile, kept a fairly steady pace.
        S  5.6 easy (8:08)  
        TOTALS 47 miles, some upper body strength work.   

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

E11 - Wahoo, just a week left! I'll be anticipating the result!

PJ - That is a rough day for tech.

Dad - Great week.

Ace - The whole family is doing pretty great, thanks. DD3 is working to get back up to get birth weight, but otherwise is awesome.

On my longest run of the week I finally encountered the only other local runner (sans the Jr high/HS kids) while on a run. We've seen each other at group long runs and are well acquainted on Strava, but had never actually been able to talk before. Hopefully we can go on some runs together. Maybe trying to hang with a sub 3 FM/ 1:22 HM guy will help me out.

The treadmill is definitely turning out to be a lifesaver! It will probably be a significant chunk of my mileage for a while, and a great way to work in quick doubles once things settle down around here.

I'll about 87% certain I'll going to run a half as my spring race while trying to get my mileage back into the 60-70 mpw range, then finding a pretty flat marathon for the fall.

I missed a good 20+ miles from what I wanted for this week, but did the best I could work life breathing in the way.

Weekly Summary
          Monday, Jan 01, 2018 thru Sunday, Jan 07, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
          Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
          Mon 7.5 8:02 Keeping to the straight and narrow in 2018. 147 (75%) strava
          Wed 10.1 8:11 4 hawks & finally meeting the other local runner. 149 (76%) strava
          Sat 5.2 7:32 Not even close to a long run. 😓 2@ ~HM effort. 151 (77%) strava
          Sat 3.0 8:33 Q: What runs for 25 minutes and doesn't go anywhere? A: Me, on the treadmill. 3 easy. 145 (74%) strava
          Sun 7.6 10:59 Tonight's treadmill feature: John Wick. The Boogeyman must do cardio. 136 (69%) strava
            33.4 8:41

5k: 17:58 11/22 â”‚ 10k: 37:55 9/21 â”‚ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 â”‚ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OMR

FB:  Good to see those bare feet in these parts, and that the celiac's seems to be under control.

Dad:  Nice week.

PJ:  Frozen pipes?  Hope they don't bust open!

Keen:  I hate it when life gets in the way of running!

Ace:  That's a nice Saturday LR!

I think all of the MN people are absent or lurking, so I'm just going to throw it out there that the U of MN men's athletics needs an overhaul.

My week...

M:  9.2 @ 8:47

T:  13.5 @ 9:00 w/5 x (1M @ 3%, -3%)

W:  9.4 @ 7:59

T:  12.1 @ 8:44

F:  15 @ 9:07 w/7 x (0.25M @ 9%, -3%), then 8 x (0.25M @ 6%, -3%)

S:  7 @ 8:30

S:  4 @ 8:42

Total:  70.2 with 2257+, 1386- elevation gain/loss.  Sunday was supposed to be a long run, but I've been having a little pain around my left knee, I think from running on the track on Wednesday.  I thought it might go away on its own, but it hasn't, so the last couple days were lighter than intended.

pepperjack

pie man

It happened the last time--2015 when it was single digits.  They put in new meters, as I understand it, that will trip to prevent the pipes from bursting (at least inside).  I put in a request, they came while I was running so they didn't fix it.  Now I have to call.  That's about par for the course here.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

mattw4jc

DW & E78 (trying to be cool and get the name abbreviations right here): Tobacco Road near Raleigh, NC is on March 18. It is mostly flat and mostly on a paved and/or crushed gravel trail. I have not run it before and have only run rolling courses, so mostly flat will be new to me and hopefully a little boost.

E78 - Good luck in Houston! If you get to the finish before 1:30:43, don't stop and wait for that exact time, just go ahead and set an even better PR. Smile

Ace - I have a couple of running friends going to Charleston too. One is a 3:25 pace leader. Hopefully the roads will be ice free. Good luck there!

OMR - wise to cut back if feeling some pain. I skipped a couple of days two weeks ago due some achilles pain. And 70+ is big mileage!

And since DW mentioned cats are fair game in this thread, I'll mention that we have three of them. However, I don't have a photo handy at the moment, but I do have a photo of my daughter's three rats.

I had a bigger than planned week last week. The week prior (Christmas - New Year's) had been a cut back due to some achilles pain. Only 42 miles there. But this week, I added a mile or two here and three there to get over 70.

Date Distance Pace Comment Import
                Mon Jan 01 5.06 8:07 Lunch Run strava
                Tue Jan 02 7.02 8:27 Strides and Ice Beard strava
                Wed Jan 03 12.56 7:51 Morning Run strava
                Thu Jan 04 6.01 8:22 Morning Run strava
                Fri Jan 05 11.75 7:20 Daily Ice Beard Run Featuring Tempo Miles strava
                Sat Jan 06 9.20 8:15 Easy 6 or so strava
                Sun Jan 07 20.72 7:56 Twenty Miles @ Ten Degrees strava
                Summary: 72.31 7:58 Bike Commute: 101.4 miles (4 days)
                Running Problem

Problem Child

Ace: Click Me. This should help a little.

Keen I might have to hop on mine to get a few more miles in. Ever done speed work out on one?

My week was okay. DW, NeRP(who didn't seem to want to sleep much yesterday) and I are watching grandpa's dogs/house this weekend so Saturday was "pack everything up a baby needs and clean the house" and Sunday was "brew beer since you're here" day. The original plan was to run early Sunday morning since Saturday was packed by the time it started and Sunday extended well past the time I expected to finally be sitting on the couch but it's okay. I'll have to pick up a BUNCH of miles to get back to 2,018 but there shouldn't be anything wrong with running more 8 mile runs. I could have made almost 40 mpw this week with just some medium weekend runs. I'm putting off speed work, and maybe the TRX workouts due to having 9-10'doors now, until next week because I now have an hour commute to/from work plus carpool meet ups. AT least the weather is nice here (not sub 0) but it's raining. Boo.  I could SWEAR I went running Monday but maybe I am totally off my rocker.

Oh, and I ALMOST had to break my resolution however I can keep it going with supplies at work. I actually almost had a mini let down/panic attack/"I'm one of THOSE people" moments but crisis averted.

Weekly Summary

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                  Day Miles Pace Description Link
                  Mon 1.4 20:46 That time I stuck to my resolution. strava
                  Tue 6.5 8:41 That time I was as fast as a deer strava
                  Wed 7.7 8:18 That time it was a Gi.M.M.E strava
                  Thu 6.7 9:15 That time the big tomato squashed the little tomato. strava
                  Fri 5.6 9:09 That time you just need to relax sometimes. strava
                    27.9 9:28    

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

AceHarris

brew: thanks for the link. That's so easy!

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

DukeDB

Brew yes, thanks for that link.  Now, I'll have to also try out the photo posting apps.  I've got a giant Maine Coon cat that might need some publicity...

Looks like most of you have brought a lot of fitness through the winter.  Happy to be here, maybe I will learn some new tricks.  Darkwave, I've run under the Whitehurst a hundred times but never thought of using it as an indoor track.  That would have come in handy when I worked on the other side of the river.

Keen, what treadmill did you buy?  Looking into that for the family benefits and for some easy running.  I generally roll outside if it's dry and over 10F, but my wife has ... other parameters.  And I find I never run easy when it's under 20F.  The Sole F80 is on sale now, for what I'd pay for a used gym treadmill.  Thinking about it...

My club trail running program cancelled Saturday's workout due to -10F windchills.  16 was on the schedule and even on a cushy  Woodway at the gym I couldn't manage that.

Weekly Summary

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                      Day Miles Pace Description Link
                      Mon 1.2 8:06 Warmup - absolutely necessary @ 10F strava
                      Mon 3.1 6:50 MCRRC New Year’s Day 5K strava
                      Mon 1.1 8:53 Cooldown ... not really necessary strava
                      Tue 6.1 8:16 VS-Key: too cold strava
                      Wed 4.0 7:52 Street Without Joy: can’t run easy when the cold’s so hard strava
                      Fri 6.2 8:28 Street Without Joy 2: Too Cold for the Road strava
                      Sat 10.0 7:49 Street Without Joy 3: Woodway for that Long Run strava
                        31.7 7:59    
                      darkwave

Mother of Cats

Just checking in here.

Racing in Charleston on Saturday. They had a legit snow storm last week (for a souther beach town at least), but weather looks like it will be in the 40s-50s, so should be nice.

DWave and Elizabeth: How you feeling going into Houston?

Pretty good.so far.  I don't feel like 1:25 is unrealistic, so that's nice.  Good luck with yours - great news on the weather.  I honestly haven't looked at Houston's - everyone says it looks good, so why jinx it?

Darkwave: I think I remember you saying you would never go back to the treadmill after you broke your foot. Am I remember that correctly?

Nope - not me.  I don't do treadmills now because my coach discourages them and where I live is fairly running friendly, even in bad weather.   If I wasn't with the team, I'd probably do many of my tempos on the treadmill for the consistent surface and low risk of interruption.

PJ -rough time to be without water.  Though I guess it's better than no heat.

CK - odd about the lack of other runners - DC is packed with them.  I do remember being the only runner out there when I was in Kansas.  Which is odd, because the park is packed with asphalt trails that are great for running.

OMR - take care of that knee!  I think the rest of the MN crew froze - that's why they're absent.

Matt - I'll put you down in the chart for Tobacco Road.  WRT abbreviations, mine is a bit awkward, since unclear whether posters are referring to me or their Dear Wives.  Love the rat pix!

Brewing - what the heck is the Tomato reference on Strava about?

Duke - we need Maine Coon photos.  And...speaking of the Whitehurst, we might be back under that on Tuesday morning.  BTW, still snow on the WL track right now.

Dad - Curious what the recovery was on that fartlek.

8 "miles" of pool-running and DIY yoga this am.  There's all sorts of headcolds going around right now, so I'm avoiding yoga since everybody else in this town feels it's appropriate to go to yoga class while sick.  "It makes me feel better"  Yes, and it gets the rest of us sick.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Darkwave: Click Me the joke comes from here. Doing Whole 30 so ketchup isn't allowed unless you can find one. Since I was dragging ass on the last mile, looking for almost any excuse to walk, I imagined running with the usual group. I'd have been WAY in the back and when I'd yell "hey you can slow down" they'd probably reply with "catch up."  I'm the youngest in the group too making me the baby of the group.

Since I've done Whole 30 a couple times I know I have a sweet tooth. I also know switching from burning sugars to fats and going for a run is going to make at least one suck. It's similar to donating blood and going for a run. This is  more of an eating habit change/revamp since I know what it will teach me (I like sweets) after sticking to it and doing the reintroduction quite a few times. It's actually pretty easy once you've kicked most of the things you're not allowed out of your house on a regular basis and begin to enjoy the substitutes. The "annoying" thing is after hearing about how horrible going on a diet is and how the food just can't be good we see anything we leave at anyone's house disappear without a hint of "hey you left your condiment/dressing/left overs/dessert here." We also don't see a "hey that stuff was awesome."

Ace you're welcome. I was told how to do it at one point because I tried and failed miserably. I wasn't smart enough to make it simple like pepperjack does.

I should have gone running. I knew the rain wouldn't fall if I was inside.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

E78 - Good luck in Houston! If you get to the finish before 1:30:43, don't stop and wait for that exact time, just go ahead and set an even better PR. Smile

I ran the London Marathon on 4/13/2008 and my goal was to run a 4:13:08. I was just running it for fun, as I had PR'ed Shamrock just four weeks prior. Anyway, I approached the finish at around 4:11, and started walking so I could get that time exactly. But then the crowd kept cheering for me and telling me not to walk, and I just couldn't ignore them, so I ran to the finish in 4:11, missing that 4:13:08 goal.

26.2 x 31 (3:15:34 PR)

13.1 x 35 (1:30:58 PR)

Author of the book Boston Bound

Arvind Balaraman

Good luck Ace, Dwave and E78. Best wishes for your race this weekend.

My training last week was impacted by the cold weather. Had to do most of the runs on treadmills and shortened long run

Sport Date  Title  Time  Distance  Elevation 
                              Long Run Sun, 1/7/2018 Unstead evening run: cleaning up the sinuses 1:28:24 11.0 mi 761 ft
                              Run Sun, 1/7/2018 Feels so bad when you have to skip a run due to nagging cold and cold weather 1s 0.1 mi - ft
                              Long Run Sat, 1/6/2018 8 with fast finish 1:03:20 8.1 mi 463 ft
                              Run Thu, 1/4/2018 123 - 1WU + 2 HMP + 3 CD 45:28:00 6.0 mi - ft
                              Ride Thu, 1/4/2018 Spinning Class 45:00:00 11.5 mi - ft
                              Weight Training Thu, 1/4/2018 Foam Rolling 20:00 0 mi - ft
                              Weight Training Wed, 1/3/2018 HIIT 30:00:00 0 mi - ft
                              Run Wed, 1/3/2018 6 on the mill 48:56:00 6.1 mi - ft
                              Workout Tue, 1/2/2018 2WU + 5X [800, 2min RI] + 2CD 1:00:36 7.7 mi 180 ft
                              Weight Training Tue, 1/2/2018 Core workout 30:00:00 0 mi - ft

Total   39  
                              mattw4jc

I ran the London Marathon on 4/13/2008 and my goal was to run a 4:13:08. I was just running it for fun, as I had PR'ed Shamrock just four weeks prior. Anyway, I approached the finish at around 4:11, and started walking so I could get that time exactly. But then the crowd kept cheering for me and telling me not to walk, and I just couldn't ignore them, so I ran to the finish in 4:11, missing that 4:13:08 goal.

Funny. But, by that logic, shouldn't your goal this weekend be 1:15:18?!?
                                Just do it!