2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

fb-guy

Here's a funny one. For years I ran lots of miles and was always tired and my average pace was really slow. One year I only ran marathon pace a couple of times -- at races. haha. But now my mileage has dropped to 1600/yr for the past two years and I'm a lot stronger with a new diet, and I think I have lost the knack of running slow. My endurance is really bad and I'm not running enough miles to find that "tired, but fit" pace.

Any advice?

I've been running around 40mpw sub 8, which for me is too fast. I guess I could listen to NPR. :-)

That, and I got an Apple Watch, so I'm thinking of looking at doing HR training. Tips appreciated.

Thanks!

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

Dad - Curious what the recovery was on that fartlek..

The 15K I did suggests LT is 6:39, so my on segments were 6:22 and the off segments (equal duration) ~6:52. I probably averaged a little faster, b/c I did all the speeding up and slowing down during the off portion. It was a very moderate effort; unlike E78 I didn't do a tempo first, but did do an hour progressing from very, very easy (10:00 @ 0% for the first two minutes to 7:41 @2% by the end).

As an aside, this week's key WO#1 will be a progression starting right around 7:38 ... so picking up where I left off!  Working ALL the paces!

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Running slow takes practice.  But gets easier the more you do it.  It's much easier to run a certain pace when you're with others who run that pace - I often attach myself to a certain group for that reason.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Funny. But, by that logic, shouldn't your goal this weekend be 1:15:18?!?
          Just do it!

^^^ Love this ^^^

Strong week. OMR too.

Good luck Ace.

Jim E

That Hall MP run is not so different from a Hansons MP run, but with a much longer warmup. The downside is that it takes too long for a weekday, so I guess you run it instead of a regular long run.

My week.

When What Miles/pace
            Mon Jan 01, 13:55 Hilly run (mostly paved trail) 9.74@9:28
            Tue Jan 02, 05:23 Easy/Recovery 4.12@9:44
            Tue Jan 02, 19:05 Tack: 3 x  (800, 1000) tempo. 4.62 inc. w/u, c/d
            Wed Jan 03, 05:14 Easy 6.10@9:11
            Thu Jan 04, 04:39 Easy plus hill 13.07@9:27
            Fri Jan 05, 05:14 Easy/recovery 6.11@9:45
            Sat Jan 06, 08:18 Long 15.04@8:47
            Sun Jan 07, 08:15 Trail 6.11@11:48
            Total miles: 64.9

Strict WTF adherent

FB - You could try getting fat. That worked for me.

Weekend report:

Ran the WDW half marathon on Saturday in 1:59:44. My plan was to go out for an easy jog with some photo-ops, which is exactly what I did (plus a few bio breaks). Conditions were perfect for anyone racing hard, but I was a bit cold and found it difficult to loosen up -- especially with numerous stops. I felt a little twinge below my left knee around mile 10, but didn't think much of it.

My plan for the WDW marathon on Sunday was to run the first mile or so with McW and then move ahead at an easy pace with some more photo ops and maybe one or two beer stops. But that little twinge from the day before stuck with me, and I struggled to run for more than a minute at a time over the first few miles. So I settled into a run/walk alongside McW while seriously considering a DNF. By mile 11, I was feeling a bit better. But McW, who entered the marathon with zero training, was beginning to fade. So I did what any sensible person would do and jogged ahead to the first bar and had two beers before re-joining her for a bit. That process repeated over the rest of the course, with McW walking it in completely from about mile 20. Total time was something more than 7:00.

DukeDB

FB:  I think the principal purpose of a heart rate monitor is to slow you down on all but the fastest intervals and final miles of a long run.  Which Apple Watch?  I've got the Original and the HR (and just about every other) function doesn't seem robust enough to use in training or in a race.  But, my 920XT isn't going to live forever so I'm curious how version 2 performs.

DC runners: the cold snap has ended!

ThisIsNotSam

Jogger

Hi. Old timer here, I refuse to introduce myself.

I have done a total of 0 miles in 2018. That's all.

Mile 5:24 3k 11:01 5k 19:01 10k 38:34 hm 1:26:57 fm 3:02:33

Running Problem

Problem Child

Arvind I calculated your weekly mileage to be almost 48 instead of the 39 you claim.

fb 1,600 is my wheel house for annual mileage (once) so the only thing I can say is run 40 mpw and set a specific pace to run slower. check the GPS and check your heart rate. Instead of running sub 8 do them at 8:30 or slower. While I don't know how Apple calculates your pace I'd keep an eye on it for the miles you've run and hope it can tell you the lap pace. As for heart rate....my aerobic rate is 160 or less. Pay attention to how you feel, if you could talk at that pace or carry a conversation (sentence vs words) and you'll narrow down what an easy heart rate is. There are also lots of online calculators Dwave is the QUEEN of "slow running" advice in my book. She some how runs 9:00 or slower but races around the 6-7:00 paces.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

fb-guy

mcb-- why didn't I think of that. damm.

omr, dad, PJ, Jim, and all of us (slightly) older guys -- you've had a bunch of good years at/about 3,000, and Jim's been running for a year (I think) longer than me. How many total miles does everyone have? The circumference of the earth is 24,901 (wiki). Any parties planned?

Brewing, duke - thanks for the ideas. I am leaning toward picking a HR and not going over it. My guess is that my max is somewhere around 165-168, so if you take .85 of that, you get something around 140. Right?

On the Apple watch. Nick and I have had the 310xt for years. I switched to the Apple watch about a month ago, and it's OK. I have series 3 without cellular. My first one did not do HR accurately, and they swapped it out, and now it seems to be accurate. Music, small (compared with the 310xt). I'm using Runkeeper. It's buggy, and I have to sync with RunningAhead manually, but it seems to be the best one.

6@7:57 at 120-ish bpm today. who knows?

FB

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

Running Problem

Problem Child

fb 140 for me is the beginning of easy but my max is currently set to be 195. I haven't updated it in a few years but the HR for racing is 163-172 depending on distance. When I start pushing 170+ I know it's only going to last a short while (5K) and if I stay there things will end REAL soon.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

HR for me - under 145 is very easy.  Higher than that into the mid-150s is "aerobic" or "moderate" (I don't run at that pace too much).  Mid 160s to low 170s is marathon HR, mid to high 170s is tempo, and anything above that is intervals.

That being said, I seem to finish all of my races longer than a mile with a HR in the low to mid 180s, including marathons.

Our workout was supposed to be on the track this morning, but I jogged my warm-up and decided the track was too slick for me.  So I went back home, waited an hour for the roads to be a bit safer, and then drove back down to the Whitehurst freeway to do 1600, 4x800.   I'm counting today as 10 miles: 2 mile warm-up part 1 on the track; 2 mile warm-up part 2; 1600, 4x800 plus recovery (count as 4 miles) and then 2 mile cooldown.  No injury prevention work or recovery swimming due to lack of time.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - No speedwork on the treadmill yet, but I'm sure it'll happen before long.

Duke - I got a used Landice L7. In terms of years it's fairly old (close to 10 years probably), but in terms of usage it's practically new (~1,250 miles). Very solid machine, but due to age it does lack most of the nifty features found on most treadmills these days.

DWave - The lack of other runners was strange to me at first, especially since there are a good number of vehicles driving around with stickers for the LRS or various race distances.

Sam - *insert waving emoji thing*

HR - My zones are pretty darn similar to  DWave's.  Paces in those zones, however, are certainly not the same.  I use HR to help keep things easy during easy runs.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

pepperjack

pie man

Is max lurking? A friend's sister I follow on strava seems to have relocated to Seattle and I just saw her with a route around your lake.  If you see her out there she's legit (coached by Daniels at one point).

11:11 3,000 (recent)

FB ~ You live in Italy; pretty sure wine is part of the equation.

I don't know my lifetime miles. I kept a log in HS, but stopped in college. My annual mileage was pretty low when I was in the Army, so I'd estimate a bit over 50K.

McBen ~ Ugh. Hope the knee feels better.

Hey Sam!