2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

rlk ~ Do you have "The Stick"? It'll hurt like hell, but will help that muscle.

Katia ~ My wife becomes my "companion pony" before big races. One of Shalane Flanagan's coaches told her before NYC: "This weekend I am your sherpa, porter, bodyguard, coach, helper, support, coffee getter, food getter, anything you need getter"

It can be really helpful. Obviously that depends on specific dynamics of you, your Dad, etc.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

dad- i don't but i do have a rolling pin that i have never used for baking, and merely for my own version of The Stick, haha. planning some quality time with that when i get home from work!

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

pepperjack

pie man

Rlk - are you reading this month's book club track club book?  It's all about San Francisco, through the Yemeni-American subject Mokhtar. A lot about Tenderloin, which I only know from the Rancid song.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

DWave - My cat loves bacon. He has been known to steal it off plates when he thinks no one is watching.

Brew - You have no idea how awesome it is that NeRP will sleep anywhere. It'll come in REALLY handy when traveling. Did your wife flip out over the spilled milk? Mine likely would have (if she found out!).
          Good luck on the 5k.

KK - Is there a 10k along with the half? That might be a good way to split the difference between building miles and gauging fitness. I can see value in both approaches, but I'd lean somewhat towards the race since you can use it to make sure you're doing speed work at an appropriate pace.

RLK - Sorry for your loss. Good luck on your 5k as well.

Today was a good run day. Run was good, and it was a good day on which to run.

DW and I are going out tonight on our first date since before DD3 showed up. Anniversaries are good excuses to ship the kids off with the in-laws for a few hours.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

fb-guy

Coming out of lurking to let you know Botswana Bib numbers are up.

http://registration.baa.org/2018/cf/Public/iframe_EntryLists.cfm?mode=entry

NACN!!!

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

OMR

I think I haven't posted since Black Canyon, so first of all major kudos to OMR for setting aside his DNS grief and FOMO and coming out to help me (unexpectedly) during the race.  It was a little too warm for me and not my best race ever (although better than I understood while I was running it - more later, maybe, if I get around to a rr).  It was really nice to come into an aid station midrace and see OMR's smiling face.  Thank you.  And... well, there's no emoticon here that expresses appreciation...

Yeah, steaming pile of poop emoticon doesn't exist here.  DNS grief or not, it was a gorgeous day to just hang out in the desert.  And that may have been the same runner.  When I saw her vomiting, it was a flat ground, and she was still almost puking directly on her shoes.  Oh, but then it was around mile 50, and it if were me, I probably wouldn't even bend over.

Hey to everyone.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Oregon - I despise interviewing also.  The only thing I hate more is giving performance reviews.  Which I of course have to do this week.

KK - I"m traveling alone, though I'll have teammates there.  I never travel with anyone anymore when going to races - truth is I like to be alone until after the race.  As for the half, I think it's not a bad idea.  A half raced all out is both a good fitness test and a good lactate threshold workout, so it's not an either/or thing, IMHO.

Ace - you should have been thinking about the weather weeks ago.

PJ - that's not a bad forecast if it holds (moderate with rain).

Brewing - I've never understood the appeal of going to the salon for two hours.  I'm a Hair Cuttery girl.    Thanks for the comments about the asthma.  I've been in a bit of a pissy mood about it right now.  Partially because I'm in a pissy mood anyway (friend passed away recently, too many important things at work) and partially because I was informed by a friend while I was warming up this morning that my asthma could be fixed if I just got allergy shots....  I shouldn't have let it get to me, but again, I was in a pissy mood anyway.

RLK - I've had issues with the peroneal before.  Dunno if you're looking for advice, but I agree with Dad on using the stick.  I've also found that KT tape seems particularly effective in helping one work through that issue.  Probably because the peroneal is more of a stabilizer than a force generator when running.

NACN - thanks for delurking!  I made it into the last corral of wave 1, so yay.

Dad - I've used the term "sherpa" also - a lot of times when I race a half, I'll sherpa my friends who have done the full, post race.

CK - happy anniversary.

FBOMR, and others: hi!

13 miles for me today.  Got pressured into doing my coach's 25x400m workout (supposed to be 25 400m repeats at 10K pace with 30 second 100m float between each). Basically, it's a very hard lactate threshold workout that involves going to the well.

I had fairly strong objections to doing this workout this cycle for a few reasons.  1) I'm feeling really great right now and don't want to overreach, as we have in the past.  I think it's very easy to leave the best part of your race in this workout, and I also think I've done that in the past.  2) It's a lactate threshold workout, and I'm coming into this cycle right off of a half marathon cycle - I've just spent a lot of time on LT.  We can better spend my legs and energy on other workouts that are less taxing but more relevant to advancing my current fitness.

But, I gave in and did it anyway, instead of my preference (either cruise intervals or a mix of 1600s and 800s).  Ended up running it conservatively to minimize the damage - starting really slow (1:39 second quarters) and then working towards finishing it in around 94 seconds each quarter.  Ended up averaging around 1:35 a quarter - 6:22 pace - a bit slower than my 10K pace of 6:16.

The good news was that the workout didn't feel terribly hard when run that way and I didn't go to the well.  It was still work, but wasn't close to a race effort the way that workout often is.

I also don't feel like I accomplished much other than running moderately hard for a bit less than an hour.   Which is really annoying.  But also probably productive for marathon training, so yay.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

jaimegu

Hi, all,

I'm really far behind so let's say:

- Music: Ipod (Classic!!!)  I listen to anything if that anything finishes with the word "metal"

- Watch screen: I have the default screen on my Garmin Fenix2 (time,distance, instantaneous pace) I rarely cycle to the next 2 screens, lap distance/pace and HR.  For the HR, I'm running with vivosmart HR so I see it right there

- Borington Marathon: Wave 2 corral 4.  I'm staying at my sister's in NH. It's not a holiday there.  My family might not travel along (not the most supportive people).  A friend is coming with his wife but he booked a room in Boston, so I might hang with them during the day.

Ilana: Glad that you are seeing the light at the end

Dwave, Dad et al:  thanks for your comments.  I did a further analysis on my race and found that the weather impact was closer to 1 minute. I feel better about it now, but I also have to admit that there are indicators proving that I didn't put my best: I was very talkative from 9th to 17th Km, I saw avg HR decreasing in several slower splits, and last 5K are much faster than any other segment in the race (20:13 to 21: xx ).

This week I'm moving into mid-longs, instead of tempos.  I will privilege MP, except this week that I'm coming from a race.

Weekly Summary
                  Monday, Feb 26, 2018 thru Sunday, Mar 04, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                  Day Miles Pace Description Link
                  Mon 8.7 7:58 14k easy Run strava
                  Tue 7.5 7:28 5k tempo strava
                  Wed 9.1 8:08 Recovery Run strava
                  Thu 2.9 26:16 Indoor soccer strava
                  Sun 2.2 10:13 Warmup for Hampton Half strava
                  Sun 13.2 6:45 Hampton Half 2018. 39th OA, 5th AG strava
                    43.6 8:52    
                  Running Problem

Problem Child

Katia: 10 ounces....Ten...like...a bottle and then some. Totally willing to grab a shovel and dig the hole to bury her in. Also, WAY don’t understand the life choice/commitment/demand of feeding a human while attempting to run. Also, the SAHM only goes so far. If they’re old enough to walk/talk/run/play/nap on demand my empathy runs weak. The first year is hard. When they’re 4 don’t call me.

Rlk: uh where else do you put your treadmill? Who lugs that thing up 3 flights of stairs with multiple twists and bends?

Also, how would you replace a refrigerator if you had a (Governor) brown out?

Deep freezer in the garage full of bewb batter replaces the car. To put it into perspective, freeze 10-20 ounces of water more than what you drink daily while only drinking water you’ve frozen. Let me know when you want that garage space to store drinking water.

Seriously. NeRP is going through 16 ounces in an 8 hour day.

dw: I’m learning how much more there is to worry about than someone saying some stuff to irritate you. Next time you’re upset with what someone says just remember I’m cleaning the poop off a human who can’t do it and other people sign up for this for someone’s grandparent. It could be worse. You could clean poop and be unappreciated. Also, thanks for the input on balance coming into play with post run exercises. Oh and you could tell that person ‘yeah I could also take drugs and kick your ass but where is the fun in beating you?’

keen: I may have put my foot in my mouth when I said an ounce of gold is ‘like $1,300/oz” but I justified it by how much I ‘saved’ by letting her feed him at work AND it was only like 8 ounces TOTAL I’ve wasted when I have a freezer filling up with ‘the good stuff’ I could replace it with. Yeah I got some flack for dumping it but she kind of agreed/realized we haven’t had to dig into the reserves yet and she has enough that we could bag it by month or volume to make it easier to store. I haven’t seen the pounds of hops I bought in a while because of her stockpile.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

fb-guy

DW -- nice on wave one. Less time hanging out and the excitement of the start. Very good.

KK -- I've usually travelled alone to races as DW was home with kid(s) -- although the family did Napa a couple of times together. But with the kids gone, we're going to Rome together. Should be good. Being solo in Boston can be really fun. One year I got hang out with Max, and we've always had 3:20 meet-ups and bar stops. One time NACN drove some of us to NH for the first 3:20 lunch at ESG's house. Great memories. The city is definitely alive for the race.

Jim/OMR -- just looked up BQ for 60-64; I was wondering if we got 5 or 10 minutes. This is 2020 for me. But wait! We get 15 minutes all the way to 3:55. wft. They should just bury us now. We get no respect.

Music -- I couldn't run without music and podcasts. Some of you are brave. That's the main reason I went for the Apple Watch and AirPods. The music is excellent and the running watch stuff sucks. Shows where my priorities lie.

RLK -- have fun with the stick and good luck with that knot and the race. DW found a stick with points on it (the rolling parts are like rubber massage balls), and I ended up with pointy bruises up and my quad. I was purple. Can't find Saucony here, and I was looking for something familiar for the race. I did find a good, cheap, light, flat shoe at Decathalon and bought two pair, but they might be too hard for a marathon. Been doing my LR's in Kinvara.

Ace -- you seem to be locked and loaded. Well done.

OMR -- hope your strength is growing.

Dad -- how long are you sore after a fast short race?

Jaime -- haha. Metal. I'm old. Glad the race is settling in.

Me. I may have hit my high water mark for this cycle. A little tired and sore (lots of foam rolling and stick), and this is five weeks out from my race. So a lighter week this week, then next week starts a two week trip to see DD2 on spring break and some travel, so I probably won't have a bigger week four weeks out. But I'm good with it. Basically I'm so happy to be back out there I'll take what comes at the race. Besides, I'm an idiot. I'm running shorter, but still too fast. I could just tack on a few slow miles, but can't seem to pull it off. Me. Idiot.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

AceHarris

Ace - you should have been thinking about the weather weeks ago.

DW: Haha, you're right! Sorry for your loss of a friend. That sucks. Also, bummer you hadn't talked to that guy who can solve all your asthma issues earlier.  I'm kind of envious of

FB: feels good to be back, doesn't it! Enjoy your upcoming travel. I always enjoy running when traveling, exploring new places; however, I inevitably run less than I think I will.

CK: I like the "good day to run..." Those are great days.

RLK: I've wanted to use my rolling pin as a homemade Stick, but am guaranteed to get some weird looks from the wife, but what else is new. Best of luck on the 5k!! Sorry for your loss.

Brew/Breast Milk: nothing like being in charge of the goods. My wife used to have to pump on the way to work (her pump had a car charging adapter, so apparently this isn't abnormal). I felt bad for her, that sounds miserable. Good luck on the upcoming 5k

Hey to everyone!

I had one of those weird mornings. Couldn't find my running beanie, HR strap wasn't syncing with watch, then watch died at 2 miles, then car almost hit me at mile 2.5 (even though I had my headlamp on and there were street lights). However, I did enjoy an early 6 miles to start the day.

Battling the sniffles, hoping that is all it is and that it resolves soon.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

OMR

OMR -- hope your strength is growing.

While I can run a little, I feel stronger in my core, and less tight overall, it is still true that when I put weight on my heel, I feel "something" in my knee.  I don't think it is a strain or muscle issue at this point.  It's hard to describe, but perhaps more like bone on bone, or a buildup of fluid.  I have an appointment this afternoon.

Ace:  Yep, that qualifies as a weird morning!

Dwave:  Hi!  I enjoyed reading your pre- and post-analysis of that workout!  ;-)

Katia77

Dad - well, apparently my dad is coming regardless of what I say, but I told him I want to travel alone and he said he'd leave me alone but wants to see the race.  I think he's always felt like he bonds with me during my athletic stuff, so if he wants to go watch who am I to stop him? We live 2000 miles apart so it's fine if he wants to meet up. He's totally on board being a sherpa, and this weekend he's in town being a grandpa/babysitter since DH is out of town and I have a 19 miler to do.  should fit the bill.

Rlk - yeah, since DH and I both have jobs that afford limit time off (due to demands more than bosses/actual time off stuff), it's hard to justify taking time off together for "my" thing, unless we can make a trip out of it.  We're making a trip out of my sister's wedding in FL, which will be more fun.

CK - I think it has a 10K but I'm more scared of 10Ks than half marathons..hope the date went well Smile We did that on Sunday and it was nice. Jealous that you have in laws in town but we're lucky to have so much help for being the only of our family out here.

DW - it's always super helpful when others think they have solutions to problems you've tried to deal with for years. Because it was that easy.. Sorry you felt pressured into a workout, hopefully it was helpful.

Jamie - lol I can't imagine listening to "metal" during a run unless it was a really angry run.  I like Ipods, but now that I run with my phone I feel like I'm missing something if I don't have access to ALL my digital stuff.

Brew - lol to the notion that parenting gets easier/less time consuming as the child ages. Come talk to me when NeRP is mobile and you spend the majority of your day trying to make sure that he doesn't kill himself, but accept that bumps on his head are part of life. Maybe that's just me.. but seriously, DS was mobile in ways at 3 months since he could roll both ways and scoot. And changing his diaper has been a wrestling match since he was 14ish weeks old. Maybe that's why I run.... in sincerity,. the pumping/marathon training was pretty doable, I just made sure I pumped before I left, and fed him when I got home. For CIM I think I just got up 20 minutes early, and then I was fine until I got back to the hotel room.

FB - hopefully you feel more rested soon.  I have air buds too but I'm always afraid of losing them! That said, DS ate a piece of SkullCandy headphones i had left and the Delta airlines ones I used for my last LR aren't going to last long... I have a hard time with slower miles, too, unless my legs are really dead.

Oregon - I don't like interviewing or supervising people in any way.

Race - Wave 2, Corral 3. New life goals: Wave 1 at some point..

Took the day off running today.  I'm going to try a tempo run/LR back to back just to see how that goes, and then take Sunday off.  And probably register for the half today as well -- probably just front load next week.

PRs: HM: 1:32:59 (2015); FM: 3:18:36 (2017)

Dad -- how long are you sore after a fast short race?

Lungs: coughing for the rest of the day (of the race). Overstimulated (nervous system), usually long enough to mess w/ sleep that night. Muscle/soft tissue soreness the next morning, in my lower back, calves, hip rotators; that soreness may last beyond a recovery run ... maybe another day, at max. If you aren't used to running fast, your calves would probably hurt for several days and you'd probably feel your hamstrings too.

rlk ~ Good use for a rolling pin; had never heard of that one.

NACN!

Another Mona Fartlek for me: 2x90" w/ equal "recovery" (alt 6:27/6:51), 4x60: (6:15/7:05), 4x30" (5:50/7:28), and 4x15" (5:33/7:42)

Speed Surplus

Good luck with your respective 5ks, everyone! Mine's on the 17th and I haven't raced in a year. It was the same race, and I ran 19:20. Not sure whether I'll be able to replicate that this year, although I feel like my training hasn't been too different. That said, I did have some strong months in the end of 2016, so maybe a slightly better base heading into 2017.

In other news, I got my cholesterol tested the other day and it was way up. I believe 258 total, although my ratio is still 3.6, which is in the good range. I'm a bit shocked.

2016 Cholesterol

Ratio

2017 Cholesterol

Ratio

2018 Cholesterol

Ratio

So I have the best ratio, but a much higher overall level. I know we have some doctor-types here - should I be concerned? Not much has changed in the past 3 years in terms of my lifestyle or diet. What gives?!

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12