2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

Katia77

Rlk - I don't think my googling revealed anything jeopardy related either. Boo.

DW - tailwinds can be fun that way.

Oregon - I've had runs where I think my HR is skewed from stress and then there are the ones where the Garmin just can't possibly be close to right.

CK - awesome runs are a great confidence boost. I kinda had one like that today but tomorrow will tell it's effects.

Brew - I .. haven't managed to get my 20 month old on a schedule yet. I think daycare helps with that, assuming that's your plan.

Ilana - hi!!! 

Good luck to the racers this weekend!!

I told myself I was going to get up this morning for a tempo but that didn't happen and I ended up doing a tempo at lunch. 5.7 miles average 7:20 pace and the 4 tempo miles were: 7:12, 7:04, 7:15. 7:11. Not awesome or anything but faster than any tempo I've done in a LONG time, so that was reassuring.  I think it'll make tomorrow's LR slower than normally, but not a bad thing.  I'm going to sign up for the half next weekend to see where I'm at, kinda.. my half times have not corresponded to my marathon times at ALL the last 2 cycles (1:49 half, 3:41 full 6ish weeks later; 1:38 half, 3:18 full 7ish weeks later).  But if nothing else, it'll be a good workout and I'll get some guidance. Part of me wonders if I should race the 5K and set a new PR (current is seriously 22ish), but I'll put that on the Fall goals.

PRs: HM: 1:32:59 (2015); FM: 3:18:36 (2017)

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Jim's Kat:  You kind of buried your grandpa's passing in a note to me.  Sending hugs.

And was this the non-running news you mentioned?

Bekijk het profiel van Jim's Kat op LinkedIn, de grootste professionele community ter wereld. Jim's Kat heeft 5 banen vermeld op zijn of haar profiel.

pepperjack

pie man

PJ I only know of the Tenderloin what I read about online. Apparently it's not the best neighborhood but then again, I'm not city folk. Also, I believe Rancid was from Campbell for a while then moved to the East Bay. I just saw a performance of them with Dropkick Murphys from 2003 Warped Tour. Man I wish I'd had gone  to that instead of working.

Lars is definely from Campbell, he works that into all his solo songs.  I don't know about the rest of them.

'03 Wapred tour--I think I had stopped going by then (too old!).  I did see the Murphys for St Patrick's up in that place where they're from.  We even went to the Bruins game beforehand and they hang out on the concourse between periods.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

fb-guy

OMR -- good luck with having a little bad luck with the MRI. Something a little rough with the meniscus that's easy to scope. The idea that it can't bear weigh at this point means something must be up; just something small and fixable. Good luck!

Go racers -- lots going on this week.

Oregon, Katia, music -- the AirPods really do stay in and they are so much easier than wrestling with wires (which always break). Can't recommend them high enough.

Katia -- I'm always behind; did you do track in college?

Overstimulated -- I always sleep badly after a hard workout, which kind of sucks. Does that happen to lots of people? Melatonin.

RLK -- you should always beat him. Hang tough for a while, and maybe you'll break him. haha.

SFO -- The city is funny because there are good neighborhoods jammed up against bad neighborhoods. A walk across town can be interesting. What do you think RLK?

Katia, Brewing, Keen -- enjoying the kid conversations. I took up running when DD1 was 14; a little easier.

Me -- more stupid HR tricks. 10@7:58 with 1,000 ft eGain yesterday, so I could do my LR today on tired legs. Smart. haha. It is came out OK. 18@8:35 with an AHR of 118 (71% of max). Pretty under control and never difficult, though my legs got tired -- which was the point. I'm four weeks out and feeling OK.

Last thing. Figured out how to post photos. Fun.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

pepperjack

pie man

Baltimore block to block can vary as much as neighborhood to neighborhood.

Feeling scratchy in my throat this morning.  That's high on the list of things to happen a week before a race, right?

Katia77

Brew - I totally went to a Warped Tour when I was around 13/14? Maybe a bit older? Fun times.

FB guy -I actually did gymnastics in college (and for the preceding 16 years of my life). I started running, aside from the occasional jog, in law school at 24. I’m 32 now so it’s been 8 years, but I took about 2 years off racing trying to get pregnant and being pregnant. Probably more than you wanted to know....  I was really impressed with my AirBuds staying in for my tempo yesterday!

PJ - sounds pretty typical. Hopefully it’s fleeting.

19 leisurely miles and my kid survived 3 hours with my dad, so it’s a good day.

PRs: HM: 1:32:59 (2015); FM: 3:18:36 (2017)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

KK - nice back to back with the tempo and the long run.  BTW, as I've kvetched repeatedly, I don't run half-marathons well off of full marathon training.  I'm guessing that's similar for you, based on your times.

Smax - thanks for catching that.  RLK, my condolences as well.

PJ - hopefully just taper paranoia.

FB - nice job on your two runs as well.  As for the toy you posted, I've always wanted to do an Instagram feed: "Recovery tool or sex toy"?

17 miles for me today.  2 segments of 5 miles each at around MP (defined as a range between 6:45-7:00) with one mile recovery.  Splits were:

Set 1: 33:56 (6:51/6:47/6:45/6:47/6:46 - average pace 6:47)

Set 2: 33:34 (6:44/6:45/6:46/6:44/6:35 - average pace 6:43)

(yes, last mile was too fast - was running into a headwind and overcompensated).  Felt decent.  Didn't feel like I could run 26 miles at those paces, but did feel like I could have stretched this one out to 2x6 or longer.

Followed up with light injury prevention work, then recovery swimming.  Also did 2 "miles" of pool-running to keep a friend company.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

pepperjack

pie man

Do we know how our DC RnR folks did?  I'd say it was acceptable weather, maybe a little windy. I got warm with the sun in my face, but that's typical for me.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Do we know how our DC RnR folks did?  I'd say it was acceptable weather, maybe a little windy. I got warm with the sun in my face, but that's typical for me.

I see Turtleboy with a "chip time" of 3:39 and a "clock time" of 3:10.  I'm really not sure what to take from that - something's wrong somewhere.  No idea what RunnerJones ran, since not sure of his name/bib.

Weather was pretty good for the half - since the wind was from the northwest, that makes that half a decently fast course, since once you got past 10K, you had a decent tailwind the rest of the way.    Unfortunately, that meant the marathoners had a headwind late in the race.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

AceHarris

DW: "recovery tool or sexy toy", HAHAHA! Could an answer be "both"? I hope not.  Looks like another great long run for you. You've had some big weeks, how are you feeling?

Katia: nice workouts! You sound like I do after my kids spend extended time with my dad. I'm not sure if I'm more worried about the kids or my dad. His default is sweet treats and iPads, which drives me a little crazy, but the kids love it. I figure it's not too harmful since it's not very often and time with Pops far outweighs what they actually do for those few hours.

Anybody else have those runs where your legs feel like crap for 4-5 miles then finally get back to normal? Yesterday I had 6 easy and my legs felt AWFUL. Felt like I was running with someone else's "out of shape" legs. Then about 4.5 miles in it was like they "turned on". Then had 15 miles easy today and they did the same thing for almost 8 miles. Hoping it's just some fatigue. Also doing a hard workout Friday morning then driving 6 hours to Memphis may contribute to the crappy feeling legs.

Hey all!

Weekly Summary
                      Monday, Mar 05, 2018 thru Sunday, Mar 11, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                      Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
                      Mon 6.0 7:58 Afternoon Run 140 strava
                      Tue 2.0 8:04 Warm up 0 strava
                      Tue 2.7 6:15 9 (whoops) x 400 w/ 90s rest (Supposed to be 10 reps) 162 strava
                      Tue 2.1 8:15 Cooldown 137 strava
                      Thu 2.0 8:00 2 then dead watch 0 strava
                      Thu 4.0 7:59 4 more 0 strava
                      Fri 2.2 8:00 2 up 147 strava
                      Fri 6.2 6:29 3 x 2 mile with 2:30 rest (6:34, 6:31)(6:10, 5:57)(6:00, 5:44) 167 strava
                      Fri 2.2 7:58 2 Down 145 strava
                      Sat 6.0 8:07 6 in my blue suede shoes 139 strava
                      Sun 15.0 8:00 15 easy  137 strava
                        50.4 7:46      

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

Once again I have been out of touch. Life has been crazy on my end. I'm selfishly talking about myself first and I will write replies in the next post. I had a disappointing half marathon in New Orleans, running over 5 minutes slower than my recent Houston time. I know it was because of the heat, so I am not upset about it. Plus, it was great weather for being a tourist and walking around. I recovered quickly from the race, so here is my week below:

Weekly Summary
                        Monday, Mar 05, 2018 thru Sunday, Mar 11, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                        Day Miles Pace Description Link
                        Mon 3.1 9:50 Morning Run strava
                        Tue 12.5 8:15 Recovered already! strava
                        Wed 8.4 8:29 Morning Run strava
                        Thu 2.4 8:36 Warm up strava
                        Thu 5.8 7:24 Ladder: 1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,1 mins strava
                        Thu 2.1 8:33 Cool down strava
                        Fri 8.7 8:38 Morning Run strava
                        Sat 20.0 8:13 Greg dropped me off; I ran home. strava
                        Sun 4.9 9:08 Morning Run strava
                          67.9 8:24    

I'm more pissed than ever at daylight savings time. I have a long, hard speed workout tomorrow morning and it's going to be dark and early. It's going to take nearly 2 hours, and then I will have no recovery time- just rush as fast as possible to get to work in rush hour. On a day that is notoriously bad for traffic. After having run a long hard workout in the dark on little sleep.

26.2 x 31 (3:15:34 PR)

13.1 x 35 (1:30:58 PR)

Author of the book Boston Bound

Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

oregon: I never trust that Garmin heart rate thing! And I agree with you about the stick being the only thing that can loosen my calves.

Pepper: Ouch on the blister! Those Band-aid Blister bandages are great for that.

mattw: It always seems that race day is the warmest in a group of 14 days. Particularly B-town, which was great racing weather in 2016 and 2017 before and after the race!

Commander: I think that 3 weeks out is probably the closest I would go for racing a half marathon. Kansas City sounds like a great place for a BQ attempt. My DH turns 40 for the 2020 race so he will be making his first BQ attempt this fall.

Darkwave: I have to admit I am jealous of the weather that RNR DC had! It was a perfect day for racing. The wind lately has been crazy so it's good we got a break this weekend. Strong marathon pace run for you. Great to see you switching it up a bit from the 4,3,2,1. I think that will serve you well come race day.

Katia: Great job on that tempo run. It's great that you signed up for the half to gage your fitness! You will get that sub 22 5K in the fall no doubt. And way to go on the 19.

fb-guy: Awesome job on that LR after you did that steady, hilly 10 miler. I think you are definitely ready!

Ace: Yes! I have had those runs. Sometimes it takes 4 to 5 miles for a run to feel good and I attribute that to establishing a rhythm.

26.2 x 31 (3:15:34 PR)

13.1 x 35 (1:30:58 PR)

Author of the book Boston Bound

Running Problem

Problem Child

20:22. Personal best on the same course I set my last one on. Epic bonk if you didn’t look at the splits on Strava. Race recap later. Oh and the channel 8 News (KOLO) interviewed me afte. I tried to plug many sponsors and wish I’d worn my fathers construction company beanie for the race.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

oregonrw

Brewing: Congrats on the PR!

Elizabeth: Sounds like you have a great attitude about RnR -- I've been to NO a couple of times and struggle to run there because of the humidity, even when it's not that hot.

Ace: Yes, I've definitely had those runs where it takes me a long time to warm up - more so as I've gotten older, actually. You had a great week though - could just be tired legs.

Darkwave: great long run.

Katia: You too!

FB: good to know about the airpods. My youngest has a pair -- wonder if he'd notice if they were synced to my phone and not his??

I ran 10 easy yesterday, 5 this morning. Nothing too exciting. My legs are a little tired this weekend, I think probably doing speed work consistently for the first time in months has caught up with me.  This will be an easy week with my 8k next Sunday. I'm really not sure how to "taper" for an 8k, so will probably just cut back and run easy with some strides thrown in here and there. I'm undertrained and not prepared but it will be a good gauge I think for starting half/full training.

RunnerJones

Will Run for Donuts!

Hi all.  Back after some travel time with the DW.  Barcelona is a beautiful city - highly recommended!  Sagrada Familia and the Gothic Quarter were amazing, and if you're a soccer nerd like me, seeing FC Barcelona play a game at Camp Nou was also a highlight.

I see Turtleboy with a "chip time" of 3:39 and a "clock time" of 3:10.  I'm really not sure what to take from that - something's wrong somewhere.  No idea what RunnerJones ran, since not sure of his name/bib.

Weather was pretty good for the half - since the wind was from the northwest, that makes that half a decently fast course, since once you got past 10K, you had a decent tailwind the rest of the way.    Unfortunately, that meant the marathoners had a headwind late in the race.

RnRDC was fine.  I ran a 3:40, which is decent for a race I was treating as a training run.  Irony of ironies, the only reason I signed up for this full again (did it in 2015 and 2016 and had sworn it off due to the boring second half of the full) was because my son wanted to get a finisher's jacket, which we just learned they discontinued for 2018.    Still, we both finished, so there's that.  He slightly improved his full time with a 4:33, and got to run with a former HS XC teammate.  Of course, she'd actually trained, whereas he hadn't, so she dropped him at mile 20 and finished strong with a 4:25.  A good marathon debut for her, and more importantly, she enjoyed the experience and definitely wants to run another.   Always a good sign to hear someone say that right after finishing their first.  

Question about hamstrings:  The only real running injury I've had have been hamstring pulls/strains/whatevers in the past.  They're mostly OK now, but I still experience fairly regular soreness and tightness in the hamstrings and glutes, especially when I increase mileage and/or intensity.  I've been a real slacker about stretching in the past and am trying to improve this.  Any good suggestions for good upper leg/hamstring stretches?  Also, I find it odd that almost all my post-workout leg soreness is between my hips and my knees, in the upper leg, while the lower legs are fine, with almost no soreness from the knees to the feet.  Anyone else experience that?