2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

oregonrw

rlk: Congrats on the 5k PR! And enjoy Switzerland.

darkwave: great workout with the 800s. Are you aiming for a specific time at the April marathon?

Ace: Hope you get in for an MRI soon. I had symptoms like that once -- it turned out to be a pelvic stress reaction. Not fun, and very painful. Hopefully it's more what OMR described.

Katia; Hopefully your foot is feeling better today.

Brewing: Lack of sleep is the worst - definitely a motivation killer.

Hey all. I'm sort of tapering, I guess. I ran 6 Tuesday with strides, 7 Wednesday, 4 this morning. I will probably take Friday off then run 4ish with strides on Saturday, race Sunday.  It's supposed to be cold and rainy - pretty typical for this race - hopefully it won't be windy too.  Shamrock Run is a big race here, with a half, 15k, 8k, and 5k.  I've run the half and 15k several times - this will be the first time I've run the 8k. They run the 8k last, so it's at 10 am, and I'm still trying to figure out timing for eating -- but I guess it doesn't matter as much for an 8k as it would for a half or marathon.

runethechamp

Realizing I can't catch up with everything on this thread here....

Brew - I would struggle with my motivation as well with 40 and rain and no sleep! And nice RR for your 5k, always interesting to hear what's going on inside other peoples' heads when they are racing.

RLK - Nice 5k! And I guess you're getting something close to altitude training in Switzerland?

CK - Sounds like the cutback is working well for you.

SC - I ran ran an hour after I had had a burrito and two beers once. It wasn't pleasant.

DW - Nice week!

Katia - Hope you get that foot figured out.

OMR - Hope you get that knee figured out.

Ace - Hope you get that hip figured out.

Is it me or is there a lot of injured people on this thread now?

I had a very mixed week last week. Ran my big "test" workout where I was supposed to run 11 miles at m-pace. Instead of trying to run it at Jack Daniels' aggressive m-pace I wanted to run it at my planned goal pace (finish time 3:25, Garmin pace of 7:45), to see how it felt and to see where my HR was. I'm a sucker for comparing HR data, and it's so far proven to be pretty reliable in predicting what I can do on race day. I figured I would compare the data to when I ran my only marathon so far, 2 years ago, when I know I started a hair too fast. The run turned out to be a complete dumpster fire of a workout where everything felt off and my HR was above the date from my race all the time. Nothing worked and I cut the workout short after 10 miles when it felt like I had to go to the bathroom (I even did a quick pit stop after 7.75), and I decided I had enough. Link to Strava here: https://www.strava.com/activities/1441843702

So now I was left with no more m-pace workouts on my calendar and no idea what pace would be sustainable for my race. Any extrapolation from other workouts and races would tell me 3:25 is a realistic goal, but this workout said no way. I therefore decided to change my 2x2 miles T-pace workout yesterday to 6 miles at m-pace, for a somewhat similar workout effect and to see if I just had a really bad day last week. And boy did I have a different feeling yesterday. The pace felt laughably easy, even with a slightly faster pace than planned, link to Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/1453794001

With near identical warmup for the first 2 miles the HR data for the first 6 miles at m-pace were as follows in the two weeks and my race, with last weeks HR first, HR for my workout yesterday next, and HR for my race 2 years ago last. Average pace per Strava was 7:44 last week and 7:40 this week. In my race 2 years ago those first 6 miles were run at a pace to finish in 3:40 (I kept that pace pretty much through mile 16), and I ended up at 3:46:59 at the end.

1: 148/143/142

2: 156/150/154

3: 157/151/155

4: 159/152/159

5: 161/153/159

6: 160/152/158

So whatever was going on last week, my body and legs were not happy, but if I feel as good on race day as I did yesterday, 3:25 seems like a very reasonable goal. If anybody has any thoughts, let me know. I know this does not tell me much about how my body will react late in the race but I'll leave that to race day 

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

RLK - Nifty 3 country run. I know of a couple roads in the area on which I could run in two counties... is that similar? And 15 seconds seems like a pretty huge PR in a 5k!

Brew - Good luck finding lodging for the flat race. And with finding more motivation.

OR - Best of luck on the 8k.

Rune - I was going to drop this in the sub-90 thread, but since we're already here... I'm a sucker for comparing pace-at-HR as well, and quite frankly what I see there looks awesome. How does the terrain for your last two M pace runs compare to that of the race course?
        How are your HR zones set in Strava, out of curiosity?

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

runethechamp

Thanks CK, since it is a full marathon I'm about to run the discussion might be best here. To answer your questions the terrain is very similar. The path I'm running on is very flat, with subtle changes in elevation. Looks like 40 ft or so between highest and lowest point, and most of the time I don't even notice it (although it becomes noticeable at higher speeds). I'm using Strava's default zones for a max HR of 192, which is Zone 1 up to 124, Zone 2 124-155, Zone 3 155-170, Zone 4 170-186, and Zone 5 above 186. I've never touched it since I set my max HR a couple f years ago 

Getting back into it

Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

Brewing Runner: Congrats on the PR!

oregonrw: Thanks for understanding about New Orleans. I think it was the sun that was the biggest culprit - no cloud cover or shade and I am definitely not acclimated. I'm excited for you to run the 8K. I like your taper approach of easy with a few strides to keep things sharp. You will probably surprise yourself!

Runner Jones: So glad you got to see Barcelona. Sounds amazing. That's too bad about discontinuing the finisher's jacket. RNR is really trying to squeeze more and more profit and cut down. I noticed the New Orleans medal seemed smaller and cheaper than all of my other RNR ones. As for hamstrings, I am no PT but sometimes stretching can make things worse. You might have better luck with an Epsom salt bath and a foam roller. If something is aggravated, stretched could further irritate it.

OMR: I am sure you are not fat! It's great that you are starting up again. Bit by bit!

ilana: WOW- 20mpw is really great. It's nice that you can bike with a purpose for errands.

jaime: I'll be right behind you in wave 2 corral 5. Great week and I love the introduction of the medium long run.

matt: Glad the forecast has improved for you.

Something Clever: Woohoo on the 40 miles! This daylight savings time screws up our bodies' natural rhythms so much.

Commander: Fantastic week for you, and good news on being faster at a low HR. I'm also experimenting with doing my long runs a little faster if I'm feeling good and so far it's worked out fine. You need new shoes.

Dad4JC: Nice week for you. Good to see the Mona Fartlek on the schedule-- always a fun one.

fb-guy: Great week for you!

ThisISNotSam: Hey there. Great week for you.

Hello to everyone else I missed!

26.2 x 31 (3:15:34 PR)

13.1 x 35 (1:30:58 PR)

Author of the book Boston Bound

Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

HUGE week for me so far.

On Monday I ran: 4 miles, 3 miles, 2 miles, 1 mile tempo, all with 4 minutes recovery jog in between. My coach prescribed paces for these that seemed impossible, but I tried my best and came relatively close!

- 4 miles in 7:01, 6:56, 6:51, 6:44 (6:53 avg)

- 3 miles in 6:49, 6:57, 6:47 (6:51 average)

- 2 miles in 6:50, 6:50 (6:50 average)

- 1 mile in 6:39

14.2 miles total including warm up and cooI down.  was seriously contemplating NOT doing that final mile because I was so exhausted after the 2-mile portion. But I did the recovery jog up a slight hill and coaxed myself into running a slightly downhill final mile to make it more manageable!

And then on Tuesday my coach prescribed 90 minutes at a pace of 7:45. It was 30 degrees and very windy but I used a route that looped around enough times that I was never running into a headwind for more than five minutes at a time. Miraculously, I felt great and this 7:45 didn't seem all that hard. My legs weren't even tired. I successfully completed it at 7:44 average.

Wednesday was 8.5 miles easy at 8:49.

Today was 20 x 200m with 200m recovery jogs: 42, 42, 40, 40, 39, 39, 39, 39, 38, 38, 39, 39, 38, 39, 38, 39, 39, 39, 39

So, yeah. It's a lot. I've run 76.5 miles in the last seven days and definitely this is the most volume I've ever run! Everything feels really good though. Knock on wood.

26.2 x 31 (3:15:34 PR)

13.1 x 35 (1:30:58 PR)

Author of the book Boston Bound

Jim E

Me again.

rune - Yes, sounds like you had a bad day.

OMR Oh my, Good luck with the op!

oregon - 8K is unusual. I don't think I've ever run that distance.

Ace _ good luck with the MRI. I have never had one of those things, they sound... fascinating.

rlk - Yay Switzerland! I was at that 5K on Sunday, saw you around mile 1 but missed  your finish because I was warming up. Congrats on the big PR! The race was indeed much improved by splitting the men and women. it was a lot less crazy on the narrow start line (Note for others: In this race series, the scoring is done on gun times so everyone crowds the start line).

I had fun with it, and did OK considering it was 6 days after a tough marathon, with 21:40 (gun). In this field that put me down at 10th AG!. But never mind, I got a silver medal in the mail from that half I ran a few weeks back.

My legs are a puzzle. My thigh lifters are sore, mainly the left one, but the muscle that made my life hell during Napa has not issued a peep.   I think it was one of those compensation things, and the lifters (iliopsoas?) that were the real problem. I have had trouble with them before, and should probably get back to the spinning which seems to help.

I have a new RB, let's call her TRB since she confines herself to trails. We go for runs weekly, and are exploring a permit-only trail system further east than the usual East Bay hangouts. It's fun to run for extended lengths of time without seeing any other people. It's mountain lion country, but we figure that two chatty people in the middle of the day should be safe. Shes' working on persuading me into a 50K later this year.

runethechamp

Elizabeth - That's a serious week of running! 10 miles tempo pace one day and then 12 miles close to m-pace the next . I'm pretty sure I would have been on the couch on Tuesday after Monday's workout. And the HM in NOLA sounds rough, heat and humidity can get to you very quickly.

Jim - Those trails sound nice! I remember you commenting on the Greenway a while ago and I never responded . It can be a bit annoying at time with the street crossings, but it's really only 2 where I sometimes have to stop to wait for a light (Marin and Solano) and the other ones are usually no problem. It's also flat, so good for tempo runs/intervals, and it has lights for night running, even though I always wear my headlamp so cars will see me easier. Best of all it's just a half a mile away from my house so very easy to get to for me. But on the weekends I often end up on the paths by the Bay, but I'm no big fan of the stretch between University and Ashby for some reason.

Getting back into it

AceHarris

Elizabeth: nice workouts and mileage, keep it up!

rlk: Switzerland sounds like fun! Mile repeats, not as much.

CK: training is looking good, well done.

Jim: it was good to see you racing again so soon after the marathon. Glad the leg issue you had quieted down.

Oregon: I've ran one or two 8ks. Interesting distance to race. GOOD LUCK!

MRI is scheduled for Monday, so luckily it's not too long.

After 3 days with zero exercise and trying to take it easy, I've had no improvement in the hip pain with weight bearing activity.

I went to the chiropractor today and had my "pre race" massage which was already scheduled, so I figured I get some soreness worked out.

I got in the pool today and did 48 minutes of pool running (30 w/o aquajog belt, 18 with). I could "run" as hard as I wanted in the pool and was pain free. Swam 300 meters afterwards and did push ups and core. Tried to jog afterward on land since this was the first time the legs were warm. Not good, painful from the start. Ugh.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

pepperjack

pie man

Can you a decent marathon time with a hacking cough?  Asking for a friend.

Ugh, sorry Ace. That sucks.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

runethechamp

PJ - I tried to race a HM at the tail end of a bad cold. It didn’t end well.

Getting back into it

pepperjack

pie man

Just declare me doomed and I'll be quiet.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

mattw4jc

Just declare me doomed and I'll be quiet.

Ugh - similar boat here. I developed a sore throat and cough last Saturday. Tuesday morning I thought it was getting better, but right after work it transitioned to a full on head cold with sinus pressure. I took off work Wed & Thur trying to sleep it off. I'm back at work today and feeling mostly better, but still quite a bit plugged and some coughing.

I actually haven't registered yet for this Sunday's race and hunted for other options. So far I haven't seen anything I like that much. I also kinda feel like if I don't just do it, I'll lose motivation and wait until the fall or something.

OMR

e78:  So...fat....(umm, talking about me here, not you!).  Nice week, congrats on the mileage PR!

Jim:  Ooo, another ultra convert in the making...max would be proud.

Ace:  Good luck with the MRI.

PJ:  Doomed...bummer on the cough.

Hey to everyone...student coming soon, so have to keep this brief.

Met with the surgeon this morning, got a pretty good diagnosis.  MRI shows that the tear is minimal and that there's plenty of healthy cartilage remaining.  He said that unless they find something when they go in, I should be walking normally in about 3 days and running after a month.  So, currently waiting for insurance to authorize the procedure, which will hopefully happen in 2-3 weeks.  He also thinks it quite possible that it tore when the treadmill unexpectedly went into emergency stop mode back in December.  Damm you, technology!

Strict WTF adherent

^So doomed.

Ace - Boo. Sometimes these things just go away?

OMR - Not a bad timeline.

Me - Ran yesterday. Going to run today. Probably will run again tomorrow.