2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

AceHarris

omr: That's good news from the surgeon!

mcben: I'd be more than happy if this thing "just went away" at some point, although its timing is awfully inconvenient.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

E11 - Awesome week! I'm hoping to come home with new shoes after my LR this weekend.

Jim - Are you going to the dark side along with Max and Brew?? I'm trying to resist that urge myself, though not too well.

OMR - That seems like just about the best prognosis you could have gotten. Hopefully the surgery goes well and nothing else is found.

Ace - Let me know when your guest post on DWave's blog is up.

DD1's school ran a 1 mile today, each grade at a time. I was able to go watch, and it was a lot of fun. Some kids went out at sub-6 pace, which ended about like you'd think. The PE teacher had obviously tried stressing pacing themselves, as most started pretty well. Overall the kids did really well (there was surprisingly little walking), and DD1 was the first girl finished! I have no idea how many boys were ahead of her since they had lapped some kids and I lost track. She had a bit of a breakdown starting the 4th lap (after school she said she was nervous), but got back out and finished strong. Super proud of her.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Katia77

Brew - that all leads to a struggle for motivation for me, too.

Oregon and Rune - foot felt fine after taking it easier.. I think maybe it was the shoes? I don't normally wear my Adidas Boosts for longer than 5-7 miles.. guess I should stick to that.

Elizabeth - that's a really intense workout!!  Nicely done.

OMR - great news at the surgeon. Hopefully after this you can put the knee issues behind you.

Ace - sorry to hear you're still laid up. Hope the dr goes well.

Ben - all sounds like a good plan.

Well I think I'm going to get rained on tomorrow, but I think I'll just gut it out with this half.  It's REALLY small (Lucky 13 half in South Jordan, UT) and apparently last year the top female came in around 1:41. I don't know what kind of shape I'm in, but I know I CAN run faster than that for a half -- whether or not it will actually happen, totally different story.  Not looking forward to the cold rain but it will be nice to get my LR out of the way by Saturday morning!

PRs: HM: 1:32:59 (2015); FM: 3:18:36 (2017)

He also thinks it quite possible that it tore when the treadmill unexpectedly went into emergency stop mode back in December.  

Tore mine in similar manner, minus technology; XC skiing ... one ski hit a rock, lower leg stopped, the rest of me didn't.

Good luck.

CDR K ~ Way to go DD!

Katia/Oregon ~ Good luck. Cold rain is tough.

PJ/Matt ~ Even though you're both doomed, good luck too.

Ace ~ Hope things take a good turn.

JimE (aka babemagnet) ~ Don't know how you can race 6 days after a marathon. <insert little bowing dude> And that does sound compensatory.

E78 ~ Really great work there.

Rune ~ It's so hard to extrapolate marathon pace from workouts. Do you have races and weekly mileage data; that's usually more helpful.

rlk ~ Again, congrats. Switzerland ... nice!

11:10.99 at USATF Master's Indoors. Thought I had a bit more, but Father Time is very persistent.

fb-guy

Greetings from the road. It's going to snow in the UK today -- good lord, winter is following me everywhere.

OMR -- great news on the knee. A meniscus tear is a hellofa lot better than knee replacement or missing and/or cracked cartilage. yay.

Rune -- the HR at pace game is really fun to play. Agreed that it can be helpful as a predictor, but I'm a little confused. How much lower is your HR as a % of MHR at those paces than two years ago?

Jaime -- excellent. Good luck with the race; I envy your 5 minute +/- fitness window. I think my range is more like an hour.

DW -- is there a place on the forum where we list everybody's races?

Ilana -- are you going to do some race predictors this spring?

Brew -- enjoyed your RR. Well done on the race, the mug and the interview. 5Ks suck. I've only done two in 10 years, and tried to beat all the high school XC runners. They're young and stupid.

Elizabeth -- 90 minutes at 7:44 is sweet.

Ace -- are you waiting to get your MRI? Are you going to try to run your race? I strained glute 3+ weeks before CIM on my last LR during my best cycle ever and couldn't run. Blah. Good luck!

Jim! -- weird about the lifters (are those hip flexors?) and the missing sore muscle. Ilana has talked about glute strengthening exercise and I don't know where that fits in. Have fun with the mountain lions.

PJ -- crappo. I ran a good Barstow with a cough once. Reading my old RR, I said that I was thinking about doing a fun run because I was so sick, but the race went good. Go figure.

I can one up everyone on the cough thing. I got sick 5 weeks and 6 days ago, and still have lingering nasal congestion so stuff runs down my throat and I cough. wft. I just want to feet better at this point. I'm blaming winter and the number of times I've got soaked running in cold rain.

Hey RLK -- enjoy the cheese, chocolate, fondue, cows, mountains and general tidiness.

Injuries -- get healthy people. Take it up to the edge, but not over.

Me. First day off in 2018, then 4@9,  3@10, 3@10, 3@10. I'm really into this taper thing, haha. But, I have a huge knot/strain in right calf and I've promised myself to chill out until it goes away. Lot's of rolling. Got my bib # for Rome, now I just need to get rested and healthy.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

AceHarris

CK: haha! I'm not sure DW has guest contributors for the blog. Fun to to get to watch your daughter run! I hope my kids enjoy running or competing. I'm excited to cheer them on!

Katia: hoping to hear you got the W today in your HM!

FB: MRI is Monday. Just taking it day by day. So far each day says "you're not racing", but we'll see.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

FB- I got to London yesterday! This morning's run was indeed very snowy (though it didn't really stick) ... snow daggers to the face in headwind. Going to try to get a ~2hr run in tomorrow and hoping it is dry. whereabouts are you? bf and I are staying right in the middle of all the touristy stuff.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

fb-guy

RLK -- we're in Bath, and it's cold and snowing, and it's starting to stick. DD2 says hello! Have fun and say hi to the queen for us. Are you going to run in one/or more of the parks? That should be good; nice and flat.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Hey guys - quick drive by to wish PJ and Matt good races. 10 very easy for me today (9:10) plus drills, strides, upper body/core.  Last 20 tomorrow.

The Race Chart is here. (also linked on first page of this thread).  I'm hoping to swing by on Sunday night/Monday morning to update it (I aim to update it once a week).

BTW, I'll be mostly absent this coming week due to travel for work and then race.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Katia - Hope it went well!

Keen - congrats to your daughter, that's awesome!

FB - I will do race predictors for anyone who wants!  As long as I get some data, I'm always happy to do my number crunching/guestimations.

Ace - I hope you get a diagnosis with a straightforward answer.  My fingers are crossed for you that it won't be a complete shutdown.

Eliz - awesome!  You are doing super!

Jim - I enjoyed the one and only 50k I did...

Rune - if you've got recent shorter races plus mileage averages and the other stuff I generally ask, I can give your prediction a shot.  I don't find MP workouts to be particularly good predictors, but if you haven't done shorter races, long tempos (6+ miles within a total 9+ mile run) are good half pace proxies.

rlk - congrats again on the PR, and yay travel!

I got my second 20mpw week in, yay.  Also went skiing yesterday for the first time in a while, as we got some snow - the resort still needs a lot more but it didn't suck too bad.

Jim E

rlk - It's bit late I guess, but for a longish run in London I suggest the riverbank. Failing that there's Hyde Park, but you might end up doing multiple laps of that. You might get to see some cavalrymen exercising their horses though. Often overlooked: The canals are good for some serious distance, with tow paths all the way. I ran a 20-miler on my last visit, and the only road-crossings were while getting to and from the nearest canal.

Keen - I'm not quite on the Dark Side yet. Got some marathons to do.

FB - You're in England too?  Yes the hip flexors.

OMR and Dad - Ouch on the tears, and how you did them.

Ilana - Yay 20mpw. I'm surprised that you are not getting more snow.

Off to run some trails now.

runethechamp

Katia - Hope that run went well, if it happened.

CK - It's so much fun to watch your kids race. Nice to hear you got to experience that.

RLK - Switzerland and now London! That's pretty cool.

OMR - Sounds like relatively good news on your knee. Hopefully you'll be back to normal soon.

Ace - Good luck with that MRI

Fb - I started with even HR on the first mile, and then went from 4 to 6 beats under compared to my race. and with a max HR of 192 that's 2-3% difference. To me, 5-6 bpm on what's supposed to be similar effort is pretty significant.

Ilana, Dad - Ran a HM on February 10, 1:34:37, with no taper to prepare for the race. Ilana, I can't remember all the stuff you ask for but I'll give it a try. I've been following a JD program that tops out at 42 miles per week, but had a couple of off weeks due to work etc. I see my weekly mileage has been a bit lower than I thought, with about 33 miles per week . Long runs mostly easy, somewhere around 8:30 pace. Shorter recovery runs have been at 9:30-10 pace, with our dog. I see now that my average HR on the long runs, where the average pace has been pretty constant, has gone down through the training cycle from the low to mid-140s to 136 on my last 15-miler. I've run one marathon before, 2 years ago, where I did 3:47 off a 1:47 half (although I think I could have done 1:45 on that half if I had raced it all out). I also think I could have finished that full in 3:45 if I hadn't opened in 3:40 pace for the first 16 miles or so  (got caught up in the moment and got overconfident).

I have a 10-mile "long" run on the program today. I actually think I will do 8 or so at planned MP just for another data point.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

mattw4jc

Struggled, but fought off the DNF demons at the Tobacco Road Marathon this morning.
                            Half split at 1:32:23
                            Finished with 3:20:11
                            AKA - I went out too fast.
                            If you BQ, you get a bonus shirt.
                            Also, marathons are stupid.

Arvind Balaraman

Ran the Tobacco road marathon half this morning. Finished 1:40. My slowest run in 3 years . I got scarlet Fever last month and feel that my endurance and speed have taken a dip since. I am able to go longer slower, but my short distance speed has taken a dip.

I would like feedback from the forum on how to gain fitness back from these illness.

My activities last week. Total Mileage 43.8

Race Sun, 3/18/2018 TRM half with struggle 1:39:48 12.98 <abbr>mi</abbr> 351 <abbr>ft</abbr>    
                              Run Sat, 3/17/2018 Easy 3 27:01 3.51 <abbr>mi</abbr> 92 <abbr>ft</abbr>    
                              Run Fri, 3/16/2018 Easy 2 16:51 2.10 <abbr>mi</abbr> 85 <abbr>ft</abbr>    
                              Crossfit Fri, 3/16/2018 Foam rolling 15:18 0.57 <abbr>mi</abbr> 22 <abbr>ft</abbr>    
                              Crossfit Thu, 3/15/2018 HIIT 30:27 1.74 <abbr>mi</abbr> - <abbr>ft</abbr>    
                              Run Thu, 3/15/2018 Missing Miles 1<abbr>s</abbr> 0.14 <abbr>mi</abbr> - <abbr>ft</abbr>    
                              Run Thu, 3/15/2018 2 WU 17:07 1.86 <abbr>mi</abbr> - <abbr>ft</abbr>    
                              Run Thu, 3/15/2018 Missing Miles 1<abbr>s</abbr> 0.30 <abbr>mi</abbr> - <abbr>ft</abbr>    
                              Run Thu, 3/15/2018 Easy 5 on the mill 40:10 4.73 <abbr>mi</abbr> - <abbr>ft</abbr>    
                              Run Wed, 3/14/2018 Struggle 7 55:33 7.09 <abbr>mi</abbr> 354 <abbr>ft</abbr>    
                              Crossfit Wed, 3/14/2018 Foam Roll and Mobility 23:00 1.14 <abbr>mi</abbr> - <abbr>ft</abbr>    
                              Workout Tue, 3/13/2018 Hill repeats 57:56 6.02 <abbr>mi</abbr> 749 <abbr>ft</abbr>    
                              Crossfit Tue, 3/13/2018 Core workout 27:07 1.31 <abbr>mi</abbr> - <abbr>ft</abbr>    
                              Run Mon, 3/12/2018 Missing miles 1<abbr>s</abbr> 0.60 <abbr>mi</abbr> - <abbr>ft</abbr>    
                              Run Mon, 3/12/2018 Easy 5 38:42 4.45 <abbr>mi</abbr> - <abbr>ft</abbr>    
                              Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

Jim: Very cool about your TRB. That sounds like a beautiful place to run and it's good that you aren't alone out there. Hopefully the soreness in your legs has subsided a bit.

runethe: Thanks for your comments on my post. I think my coach is using marathon pace as 7:24, so he doesn't seem to think 7:45 is all that bad. It ended up feeling good, so I guess he knows best.

Ace: Sorry about the hip. I am surprised pool running doesn't aggravate it. When I had a sore hip, I couldn't even pool run. But if it didn't hurt I guess it's okay. Hope it gets better ASAP.

mattw: Sorry to hear you got sick.  That sounds like a "doozy" too, and it's good you took off work. Most people at my office just come on in. Congrats on your finish. If you were struggling and wanting to DNF, still getting a 3:20 is quite the accomplishment.

OMR: Darn that treadmill. I swear those things cause more problems. Darkwave would agree I am sure. I Hope your insurance hurries the heck up.

McBen: Hello there!

Commander: Speed must run in the family. Congrats to your daughter.

Katia: UGH, cold rain is the worst. Hope you survived ok!

fb-guy: Rome will be fun. Yes, the foam roller is your friend! Sounds like a nasty illness. I hate it when they linger like that.

Darkwave: I read your blog but didn't comment. Solid week for you and I hope your business trip goes well without you getting sick. I hear you on that whole "hot tune-up" half marathon thing. Same here!

ilana: Nice progress for you on the 20 mile week. Skiing sounds fun!

26.2 x 31 (3:15:34 PR)

13.1 x 35 (1:30:58 PR)

Author of the book Boston Bound