2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

Pesto

Also great week Jaime! Nice MP run on Thursday!

5K - 18:03 (5.18) | 10K - 37:58 (2.18) | HM - 1:20:45 (9.18) | FM: 2:57:59 (10.18)

fb-guy

PJ -- age-grading in Chicago! Excellent. That 3:15 thing for all comers was pretty brutal. Oddly, DD2 goes back to school around Oct 1, so the race is one week later. So much for a mid-term get-together.

Katia -- great RR! I really enjoyed that. You got through breathing, motivation, closed fast, and ran the second part faster than the first part. That and two plaques -- you can't beat that!

PJ and Matt -- marathons suck. You ground it out, finished and ended up with respectable times -- despite the fact that marathons suck. Well done guys!

Pesto, DW, Jaime -- you are all getting pretty damn close. Enjoy the taper and stay healthy: for me, watching your running logs, it seems like all three of your are seriously primed.

Pesto -- your 1:21 does point to sub 3. Wow. It's still early to talk pacing, but are you thinking of a 2:59 with -1, even, +!, +2, etc. split? Out of curiosity, what was your Berlin split? Even with bad conditions, that should give you some ideas on how you close.

Jamie -- in the past, I've been good at predicting my races, but after hitting a health wall a couple of years ago, I'm pretty clueless on what to expect next. We'll see; I guess that what makes it so interesting.

Rune (and Ilana, dad) -- I hope it all works out according to plan; good luck Rune. I am going to be asking for pace advice, so Ilana and dad pretty darn well be accurate. haha.

Funny thing here. Between family travel and a tight calf, I ran about 24 miles last week. So today I was a little bit rested and did a tempo run by accident. I found a flat park with lots of runners, and followed a fit young couple for a while and then just kept going. Felt pretty good for 6@6:41 and last 4@6:22 (with a couple of 6:11s). Saw low 160s HR for the first time in years. I have no idea what this means for my race, but it was fun.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

AceHarris

Good news, radiologist said the MRI was "essentially normal". I think they choose these words, just in case they miss something.  I was really encouraged to hear this and actually was able to get in with Sports Medicine center today. It was a good experience, they spent 75 minutes with me just in workup, exam, gait analysis, and creating a plan to fix things.

So, diagnosis - likely just an alignment issue that got so out of whack that I was having some impingement in the hip joint. Basically everything was internally rotating from the feet up.

PT really feels that it's actually starting at my ankles and found some "substantial" instability in my R ankle. Apparently I've just been compensating a helluva lot for that and some tight/weak glutes/IT band. Crazy how you can get yourself twisted like this. I guess the increase in mileage and workouts finally exacerbated these issues enough to stop me.  I'll be seeing the PT team 1-2x a week for a few weeks. He also talked orthotics and shoe choice. I'm not sure how I feel about orthotics (had them in high school and didn't love them), but would be open to discussing shoe choice.

All in all, about as good a diagnosis as you could hope for with pain that stops your training. Also, makes me wonder if I've got some more room to improve if I've been training with this ugly gait and instability problems. Who knows, I just want to get back to running.

As far as the race goes Sunday, I'd say there's a 5% chance I run the marathon and 10% chance I switch to the HM. I'm going to treat this week as race week, as far as training/eating, just in case something miraculous happens.

DW: I will definitely send some questions your way.  What's the FB page name? Or are you on FB as Darkwave?

FB: well done on the accidental tempo run!

45 minutes on the bike today followed by 48 in the pool. I did do some weight bearing drills and even tried 400m of strides. The strides caused pain, but I was able to maintain my normal gait (although, we know now that's a problem, haha).

Since I know I'm likely not to injure myself much more, I'm going to try a short run tomorrow and see if the hips loosen up. Don't worry, I'll be careful.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Pesto

Pesto -- your 1:21 does point to sub 3. Wow. It's still early to talk pacing, but are you thinking of a 2:59 with -1, even, +!, +2, etc. split? Out of curiosity, what was your Berlin split? Even with bad conditions, that should give you some ideas on how you close.

fb - thanks for the feedback! In Berlin, I was aiming for an even split sub-3, so crossed the halfway in 1:29:57. The second half was 1:35. I starting fading slightly after km 28, but was able to keep a decent pace up to km 37-38. The last 4-5 kms were tough. This was only my second marathon so I don't have many data points (first was 3:28 with a 4 min negative split). Should I aim at a positive split? I've always thought even splits was the way to go, but never really questioned it.

Also, impressive 10 mile accidental tempo run! 6:11 miles at the end of the run, with a low HR, is a very good sign.

ace - glad to hear the diagnosis was positive! Would you consider an alternative marathon in a few weeks if things don't get better by the end of this week?

5K - 18:03 (5.18) | 10K - 37:58 (2.18) | HM - 1:20:45 (9.18) | FM: 2:57:59 (10.18)

fb-guy

Pesto -- I'm sure Dad, Ilana and others will weight in, but my experience is that my best races are all between -1 and +3. My first 2:59 was +1 and my first 2:55 was +2:30. In flat out races, I only have one -1:00, a couple of dead evens, and more in the +1-+3 zone. Although I have sandbagged the first half for a couple of -10:00s. haha.

It's a tough call. If you build in 60 seconds on the first half (no more) that might give you a little wiggle room without risk of a blow up. +5:00 is nearing the danger zone and of course that will never be your best race for the day. If you can keep it to +1 - +3 you are passing a lot of people at the end. A lot.

Here's a funny one. My MHR is somewhere around 165 (I'm 58), so the low 160s was red-lining it for me. Warning, warning.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DW: I will definitely send some questions your way.  What's the FB page name? Or are you on FB as Darkwave?

Looked for you on FB to add, but couldn't find.  My IRL name is Cristina Burbach.

Looks like I'm not making it to my meeting anyway due to weather related flight cancellations, so I should have some more availability here.  (DC got hit by a late season snow storm).

6.5 very easy today (8:59) plus drills.  No strides since road was a bit slick.  Just did some DIY yoga at home.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Katia77

Pesto - sounds like a good training cycle to me!  I'll let the others weigh in on goal, but you seem to have progressed well.

FB - I love accidental tempos! It's actually what inspired me to run Botswana... there were extenuating circumstances, but I ran 9.5 miles in January at 7:45 after not having run more than 20 mpw since my May marathon (3:18, so I was in decent shape but then took time off)/.  In any event, I decided that I could get in shape to at least jog the race.

Ace -that sounds hopeful! PT should be able to sort you out Wink

DW - good to have more free time, hopefully it's not a pain on the back end trying to make it up.

Good tempo run yesterday -- hit one mile at 6:52, which I haven't done for about a year I'd say. Averaged 7:32 for 8.8 miles, with the majority of miles being 7:15ish (miles 3-4 are straight uphill, so it gets broken up a bit). Then the usual 5 with my neighbor this morning.

So, here's something terrifying and I posted about something SIMILAR last year and let me just say: I promise I don't live or work in the hood. Not against anyone that does, but I live in SLC proper, which is getting freaking expensive, and I work in Draper, Utah, which is complete Mormonville and 2nd in plastic surgery to Palm Beach area. Monday when I went for my lunch jog I came onto a literal crime scene and a woman had just been raped on the trail. It was random, and she was pulled off and dragged into a bush. She was still there, obviously traumatized, and there were at least 20 cops at one point. It was broad daylight, and the path is NOT secluded at all and I always see people, so I have NEVER thought anything of it. This obviously terrifies me and I'll stick to roads for a while at my office, but wtf?! I know people have opinions about running with mace/pepper spray but I'm starting to think it might be worth it at this point. I don't have the time/resources to always run with someone (lawyer, 2 year old, husband travels a lot, bosses are cyclists, not runners) so I don't know what other options I have and I HATE that I have to worry about this.

PRs: HM: 1:32:59 (2015); FM: 3:18:36 (2017)

Speed Surplus

Katia - Ugh, that's terrible. Did they catch the guy? I think if I were a woman, I'd probably consider running with some sort of spray or something, and I'd practice with it to be sure I could use it if needed. Certainly a phone whenever possible. But it's shitty that you even have to think about these things.

There was a woman here in Seattle who famously fought off an attacker at Golden Gardens park (Kelly Herron - google "Not today, motherfucker"), which is a beautiful area in a very nice part of the city. It can happen anywhere.

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

AceHarris

Katia: that's terrible! I don't even know what to say, just awful.

DW: I'm kind of disappointed to know your real name, the Darkwave lore feels a bit more pedestrian now. I'll try to forget your real name.

Pesto: I am looking at later Spring races in place of this Sunday's. If I can't go for a significant PR or BQ I may just try to race a couple HM and go for one this Fall. A bit of a bummer, as it feels I'm "wasting" this training cycle.

I wore shorts most of yesterday, today I ran in pants in the snow. What's happening?!?

Run at lunch today was doable, but definitely did not feel like a race ready body. Unless I just start feeling great, it really doesn't feel worth trying to race. The biggest thought I'm fighting off is the desire to use this training cycle and current fitness in a race setting.

Brew: somehow I missed that you're in Hawaii!!

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

oregonrw

Ace: Good news on the dr visit! I hope you have a good PT and heal quickly.

Katia: First, congrats on the overall win! Second, that's terrible about the woman on the running path. I'm somewhat cautious about running by myself in the dark, but during the day hardly think about it. So scary. I don't carry mace either. I worked with a detective once who brought me police-issued mace and told me I was crazy not to run with it, but I felt like I'd be more likely to spray myself than some attacker.

FB: Fast tempo run! Hope you are having a good trip with family.

Hello everyone else. After the race Sunday I ran an easy 4 Monday, took yesterday off, then 6 at lunch today.  DH is traveling this week so I'm fitting in what I can when I can.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Ace: convince DW the best option is California in early December so you’re healed up. I’m here to support MIL for Lavaman. 85F with humidity is a death sentence to me. I can’t imagine doing a full Ironman here in October.

Katia: peace through superior firepower? In all seriousness, if you DO carry mace, PLEASE practice with it once or twice. I’ve known multiple people to carry something along those lines and no one ever practiced with it to know how far it went, how hard or soft they had to push, how long it sprayed for or anything other than “well you push the lock and it spray.” Also consider wind because it could get in your own eyes if you have no clue what you’re doing and you panic in a real situation.

Keen: what Daniels plan are you following? I have so many options but I’ve eliminated a few due to time commitment expectations of doing 20-23 during the week. How are you planning the Q runs?

PJ: I got guaranteed entry to Chicago with a sub 3:15 off 2016 CIM. I guess they kept the time standard. Corral 1 I believe. Now if only it would guarantee me entry to 4/20/2020.

Max: I know you’re a big Daniels fan. Any input how to do up to 70 mpw training with on of his plans? Looks like mid week runs rack up to 18 miles at some point.

I don’t like triathletes, well actually I’m just not a fan of their social skills or lack there of. Usually I wave to runners and get a wave back. I’m at the race course and people are out for their runs like it’s a race. “Don’t wave to me. Can’t you see I’m obviously in a structured run during taper week?” FAWK man, have a beer for breakfast. Sorry you couldn’t get your swim in Lance Armstrong. Should I mention I think the wave is stupid but I do it anyways?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

ThisIsNotSam

Jogger

It's Thursday and I have logged 0 running miles so far. Damn snow.

Mile 5:24 3k 11:01 5k 19:01 10k 38:34 hm 1:26:57 fm 3:02:33

jaimegu

Katia:  I don't know what to say... It's just too sad that anyone has to fear for his/her integrity when working out in any place, but specially if it's a regular training spot considered safe until now.  Worrisome than one has to protect oneself or change habits. Not to ignore that women are usually in a greater risk

Ace:  That's good news! Don't rush it, though.

Me: I had a key workout yesterday when I ran 22.1Km @4:28/km (7:11/mi) from which 18Km @4:24 (7:06/mi). And the AvgHR was 140 (77% HRR)

If I count weekly mileage from a midweek to midweek, I have run 112Km in the last 7 days (69.6 mi)... And 100Km the week before.

I feel great except for my neck but that's sleep related.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

So much to catch up on!!

Ace - Glad to hear the MRI was "essentially" normal. Even if you don't get to go for your A race (or even B or C) the cycle should set you up nicely for a better performance down the road.

Katia - Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. Stay safe. It's terrible that such things happen, and there's a special place in Hades...

Brew - I'm using a 12 week HM plan with two quality runs per week. It probably wouldn't take much to get me to share it. I've run the workouts as prescribed, but have added on some extra easy miles here and there. Fortunately I haven't had to reschedule any Q runs (though I had to do one on the treadmill), so I just do them as scheduled. I'm not entirely sure how the Q runs would change if the plan were for a FM, but I wouldn't feel at all unprepared for one after this plan, provided that I had extended LRs instead of stopping at about 14 miles.
                              I agree about the wave.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

oregonrw

Keen: If you're sharing your HM plan I'd love to see it! I've got about 11 weeks to train, and I've been been working on putting something together the last few days.

Brew: where are you encountering all these triathletes?

jaime: Nice workout.

I ran 7 miles this morning with 5x1200, 400 recovery, even earlier than usual so I could get home in time to get my kids up for school. Bummer that Dh's travel schedule is not compatible with my running schedule.  Next week is spring break and I'm looking forward to a few days off.