2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

rune- ooh, do share the info about the tracks! yeah, he runs plenty in redwood regional etc. but he's looking for some variation on his bread-and-butter early-morning-before-work road runs.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

... botulism last year got up to i think 78 by the end, and bright sunshine. i think i still have PTSD from that race.

Me too!

DkW ~ Allergies. My throat felt closed off walking to my car this am.

One comment re: Botswana and warm weather -- the water stations, although plentiful, can be combat zones; I expended a lot of effort jostling in and out of them last year (of course, I didn't realize until I had already done it ...). I think you carry something, but figured I'd mention.

runethechamp

RLK - Thompson Field is very close, but seems like an odd shape and kind of small. On the other side of the island I know there is a dirt track at Encinal High, and also a track at College of Alameda. My colleague with more local knowledge also says there is a track at Wood school and he thinks it's open to the public.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

Jim E

rlk - I don't think there are any tracks in Alameda that are open to the public, but I'd like to be wrong. That's a pity because Alameda College has quite a good one.

It sounds like your friend lives within a block or two of me.

Tracks we use:

Piedmont High School. It's open outside of school hours except when they have varsity soccer or lacrosse games (You really don't want to be running around a lacrosse game, those balls can do real damage).

Cal Berkeley: Pretty much always open in the evenings, and it's a proper NCAA track with kerbs 'n stuff. Parking is tricky in that area.

Berkeley High School: Newly laid track, gets a bit crowded, and occasionally the school coach reserves 4 lanes in the evenings. My rule of thumb; add 2 seconds per lap for each lane you move out.  They don't close for lacrosse, but they do put up safety nets in the end zones.

runethechamp

Jim, thanks for the info on the Berkeley High and Cal tracks, I always wondered about those. I usually go to King Middle School farther north in Berkeley, or Cougar field in Albany, and I've never found those closed. They're all pretty far from Alameda though.

Getting back into it

Jim E

Jim, thanks for the info on the Berkeley High and Cal tracks, I always wondered about those. I usually go to King Middle School farther north in Berkeley, or Cougar field in Albany, and I've never found those closed. They're all pretty far from Alameda though.

I've run at King. The track is a little short because they didn't have the money to extend the flat area or something. That's why the lane markers for the 400m start are a bit odd. '1'  is about 2m back from the finish line. If you run in lane 2 it's about right. It's pretty nice. Not crowded, easy parking, but yes, a bit of a trek.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

great info! thanks guys.

jim- ha, it's a small world. if you see a 6'2" late 30s guy running around in nike shoes and a patagonia baseball cap, say hi to brian!

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

runethechamp

I've run at King. The track is a little short because they didn't have the money to extend the flat area or something. That's why the lane markers for the 400m start are a bit odd. '1'  is about 2m back from the finish line. If you run in lane 2 it's about right. It's pretty nice. Not crowded, easy parking, but yes, a bit of a trek.

Yes, that's correct. The track was redone when my oldest son went to school there a few years ago, and now my youngest one runs cc and track at that school as well. It's also close enough to our house so running up there is a perfect length warmup run for me. And I think they have the offset marked all the way up to a mile for Lane 1.

Getting back into it

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Oregon - Our governor is a moron - not just because of her recent comments. I saw a picture from today of her empty parking spot at the capitol with toy cars in front of it. .

Brew - Long time no see, welcome back. Sorry about everyone being sick. A sick baby definitely sucks - especially when it's your first.
                    At least you "only" have 5 minutes to shave off your PR. I need more than 15 off mine to make anything happen this year - or maybe just 12 or so next year.

OMR - Best of luck on the surgery.

Ilana - Thanks! After this I might ask you do so some of your pace-predicting magic if you still don't mind.

I'm starting to get the feeling like the hay is almost in the barn for this cycle. It seems like it's coming to a close really quickly, even for a short 12 week plan. Just a solid threshold run and MP run over next week and things really wind down.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OMR

Surgery is done, and I am at home now.  It went well, and as an added bonus, the surgeon removed some rough spots on my patella (the beginnings of a bone spur, etc.).  Except for stability because I am dizzy from the drugs, I can put full weight on my knee and walk around the house.  I've also got before and after photos if anyone wants to see that (but won't post that for a few days).

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Surgery is done, and I am at home now.  It went well, and as an added bonus, the surgeon removed some rough spots on my patella (the beginnings of a bone spur, etc.).  Except for stability because I am dizzy from the drugs, I can put full weight on my knee and walk around the house.  I've also got before and after photos if anyone wants to see that (but won't post that for a few days).

I take that as a good sign. Take care of yourself in the recovery.

Upcoming Races:

OMR

Keen:  I specifically asked that...if I "should" walk around on it, and was told that since all they did was remove things, walking on it will not damage anything.  In fact, if anything, I was encouraged to do so, and I was told that any pain I feel is pain associated with surgery, not with the knee itself (if that makes sense).

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

That's incredibly awesome! Do they have any PT lined up for you, or are you basically going about your usual day (a little slower and easier)?

Upcoming Races:

OMR

Keen:  PT begins on the 16th, but I was given some basic mobility/strengthening exercises to get the ball rolling.  That begins tomorrow.

runethechamp

Good news OMR!

Getting back into it