2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

Jim E

Yay OMR! Sounds good. I hope the photos are not too gross.

Surgery is done, and I am at home now.  It went well, and as an added bonus, the surgeon removed some rough spots on my patella (the beginnings of a bone spur, etc.).  Except for stability because I am dizzy from the drugs, I can put full weight on my knee and walk around the house.  I've also got before and after photos if anyone wants to see that (but won't post that for a few days).

Thumbs Up on Google Android 8.1

Running Problem

Problem Child

omr FAWK YEAH!

Keen I'm using a PR of 3:12 that came after 2 serious years of running chasing 3:30 then sub 3:20 and a week before that PR stating I'd go for 3:15 and being advised not to. Sometimes it pays to be young and stupid ( I have different phrase for this too) and have very accommodating race conditions and 3 less than imaginary friends to meet for beer (or wine, or cocktails, I'm not judging) after. My recent 5K PR puts me behind that finish by a few minutes which means I have A LOT to make up.

Max's heat training so if I was to train for a hot and humid race in October and I have access to 90+F weather 3-4 weeks prior to the race how would it apply to my situation? Should I just run in hot weather and aim to run at the hottest point of the day?

Max AR50 is this weekend. Wouldn't it have been cool if I entered, finished, then had the luck of a first time applicant?

NeRP is feeling better. Back to smiling at everyone and eating. For some odd reason I really want him to take a room temp/luke warm or even a cold bottle. I'll RARELY see the time where I have him with a cold bottle and I need to feed him but for that 1% situation I need to be prepared. He slept for almost 5 hours last night which DW enjoyed and I hope continues. I'm trying to kill the beer fridge and get everything out (drank) I can because I have to dedicated now until October for training...which feels like too little to late but maybe if I focus my efforts and quite FAWKing around I can get my 4/20/20 marathon dream to come true. Time to go back to "Nobody Cares. Work Harder" mode. hmm..."If you can drink you can stink...from running" should work.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

OMR- glad to hear it!

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

fb-guy

OMR -- excellent news! It's funny when they tell a marathon runner to let pain be your guide, expecting that you will slow down, or stop, when it hurts. Good luck with PT! You're going to come out of this better than new.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

Running Problem

Problem Child

Kev Happy Birthday. I can't IMAGINE how I'd forget.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Happy birthday to Brewning and to Kev!

OMR - very glad to hear it went well.  I actually am curious about the pictures....

(and LOL to FB's comments - so true)

RLK - thank for posting Smax's heat training stuff - I knew I'd seen it somewhere.

8 miles very easy (8:55) plus drills, strides, some upper body strength/core work.  Allergies a bit better today, but will likely worsen tomorrow when the pollen count explodes.    Can't wait for Monday (and my Xolair shot) to get here.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

OMR: That's awesome!  Good luck with a short recovery.

Brew: Yes - run in the hot part of the day and maybe wear extra clothes so that race day feels less bad than what you trained in.

FB: A baker friend has a pizza oven siting/model question and would like some advice.  She somehow knows you were best buds with my DW back in preschool (close enough - right?) - is there a way for her contact you or someone who can guide her?  Sorry I won't be there to amble 26.2 with you.

Thanks for the all the advice everyone.  I am shocked - SHOCKED - that you aren't all clamoring for the 7+ hour "Walk The Boston Marathon" adventure.  I did another run walk yesterday (followed) by 2 hours of rehab exercises followed by more walking on the way to a meeting, and I felt a little more sore in the evening than I have on other days.  I'd have to cut out the exercises and/or would definitely feel sore (in a bad way) after, and it would not be worth it.

I noticed some other dysfunction - my injured side (left) engages when my right side does stuff that my left side shouldn't have any part of.  E.g. if I lie on my back and do leg lifts, the muscle activation sequence is different:

Left (injured):  left hip flexors lift my left leg up

Right (healthy but dysfunctional): left glute activates, my left hip tilts down and twists my spine, then my right side engages

When I focus on staying relaxed, I can make my right leg work like my left.  Probably when I'm running, my left side is either engaged supporting my left side, or engaged helping the right side for no good reason.  It's probably some habit I've had for 40+ years.  That'll be easy to fix no doubt.  At PT once told me it takes 10000 reps to create new muscle patterns.  At 50 reps a day, that's only - 200 days.  And there's probably some penalty for every year of age beyond 30 - an extra 5000 reps/year or something.  Call it an even decade of practice to effect the change.

Who was saying that people get old and graduate to slow ultra slogs every weekend?  There are a few people in the Seattle area like that, although I don't like to think of myself in that category just yet.

runethechamp

Any news on Pesto from Paris?

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

pepperjack

pie man

Any news on Pesto from Paris?

Strava looked like 3:01. Cruising.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Belated happy happy's to Brew and Kev, and good luck to Pesto.  Fortunately the time zones between here and Paris are different - I think they are 2.3 days behind us if I remember right.  So the good luck is not belated.

fb-guy

Hey all,

3:34:53 here, and back home. Good day all round, no heat problems, good organization, great sites, and a lot of fun. 15,000 runners; really nice. Hit the half at 1:45:00 exactly (good job pacer), knew I couldn't hold it, and had a 4:53 fade. I snuck in under a BQ-5, and basically couldn't have gone faster. Lots to think about where I go from here, and more to come later on race day.

Go Pesto! -- although you are already done.

Enjoy the taper Botswana and happy rest of the weekend to everyone.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

fb - Great race!!!  It's good to see you healthy again.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Good to see all the great races this weekend!  (and a bonus Rovatti sigting)

I also had a quick forum encounter with PJ at Cherry Blossom, where I was too cold to manifest even the most rudimentary social skills....  His sister was gracious enough to give me her heat sheet - much appreciated.

My week:  48 miles plus 15 "mles" of pool-running.
                              M: DIY yoga and 7 "miles" of pool-runinng.
                              T: 10 miles, including a track workout of 400, 800, 2x1200, 800, 400 in 88, 2:56, 4:28, 4:24, 2:51, 81. Also injury recovery work and recovery swimming.
                              W: 8.5 miles very easy (8:59) plus drills, strides, upper body weights/core, and DIY yoga.
                              Th: DIY yoga and 8 "miles" of pool-running.

F: 10.5 miles, includind a 5K tempo on the track in 19:43 (6:21/6:21/6:15/0:45). Also injury recovery work and recovery swimming.

Sa: 8 mles very easy (8:55) plus drills, strides, upper body weights/core.

Su: 11 miles moderate/aerobic (7:41).  DIY yoga in afternoon.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Jim E

Well Done FB and Pesto!

Nice week Dwave. I wonder if I should count my spinning as miles. Maybe @ 8  minutes per, since it's not an easy pace by any means.

I raced today, a 10 miler in Sacramento. 1:14:14, which is slower than last year by quite a bit, but I seem to be slowly climbing out of the valley now. My hip flexors behaved themselves.

I think I have mentioned RBS in the past. She will be running Botswana next week. She had not originally planned to, but got an email from the BAA asking if she was coming. So It seems the next step up from qualifying is getting invited. (She won her AG the last two years.)