2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Pesto - enjoy the pastries!  SOunds like a great race, but Paris is a bit of a haul for me.

Dad - enjoy that mile - I had a lot of fun (and a lot of pain) running that one last year with PJ. I was crippled for days, but at least I get to tell stories about "that time I opened up my road mile with a 71 second quarter."

OMR - I enjoyed the blog entry, though even with your explanation, I wasn't sure what I was looking at.

Brewing - are you doing the Daniels plan for your current fitness, or your goal fitness?  Sounds like you are doing the latter; you should be doing the former.

SC - hydration pack would drive me nuts.

RLK - " running either 6min pace or below or 9min pace+ - rarely in between."  Nutting wrong with that in my book Wink

Jaime - the orange cone comment made me laugh.

I haven't checked weather yet - too soon.  I could live with rain.

Very brief upper body weights and core, DIY yoga, and 6 "miles" pool-running.  Half-assed 800s on tap for tomorrow.

FB - more comments on the race report later, but a long uphill at mile 25 and cobblestones at the end sounds rough.

I think you were slower because you're not in serious race shape, and it takes time to get back there when you are older.  But I can't believe you won't get back there.  You're not THAT old, and my amateur understanding is that the damage from celiac does heal over time.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Brew ~ You might want to check that R pace. My VDOT is 52, based on current 5K and 3000m times, which is supposedly a 3:04:51 equivalent. (LOL! I don't think I'm in <3:05 shape.) My R pace is 5:43, which seems about right.

rlk ~ Details of my "hill medley" if you're interested: 4 sets of 3 min @ 4% @ 10K effort, 90 secs @ 6% @ 4K effort, 30 secs @7% @ mile effort w/ 2 min recoveries across the board. I think I'd make the short, fast efforts a little longer (40-45 secs?)

Running Problem

Problem Child

rune totally not in 3:05 shape right now. 20:22 5K shape. Thanks for the information on repetitions being full recover. I forgot that.

DW Current fitness. Using the 5K time from March. I potentially have a 10K coming up in May I could use to see how I'm progressing etc. I need to get something concrete before I start trying to pull out whatever marathon training is these days. Also, Paris is quite a bit farther for me. I wouldn't do the Hawaii marathon unless its in December....as shit...CIM > Honolulu. Just don't tell my wife.

Pesto 42.195. I only know that because there is a marathon in the philipines or something my buddy suggested I do when he traveled there. I can't imagine trying to run a marathon using the metric system with no GPS signal or understanding of the language.

Max I'll eventually read your RR for Black Canyons. Maybe late at night when I should think about running. I was thinking about you today when I started thinking about American River and Silver State 50 and wondering how a 17:00 cutoff would go for a 50 miler. Damn, neither is a qualifier. Guess 100K Canyons in 18 hours will be the next goal. I might as well race on the course right? TRT might be in the mix because it's a thirty something hour cutoff....what have you done to me? Hope it's all going well up there and you're taking the time to heal.

dad My VDOT is about 48-49 based of my last race. 49 is a 20:18 5K and I did 20:22 according to the book. Trust me...I was almost hoping I read it wrong. 89 seconds...sheesh.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Katia77

FB - enjoyed the race report. Weird to think it was that hard of an effort and you're not sore this soon out. I'm usually pretty wrecked, but the last 2 marathons have been slightly better. The jogged one was the only one I really didn't feel too bad after. I'd think maybe just longer cycles? SO hard because I've never had anything like what you're describing.

OMR - glad things went well, enjoyed the blog post.

Peso - great race!! enjoy pastries Smile

DW - I think I could live with rain but I'd def dress warmer than last time.

My week:

M: off

T: 14.3@7:57

W: 5.3@9:03

ThSurprisedff

F: 2.4@8:13

SatSurprisedff

Sun: 9.7@7:55

I'm pretty exhausted from getting our house ready for pictures to be listed tomorrow! Somehow sore from moving stuff/packing boxes/stairs? Running, I feel pretty good and as usual in the taper, I'm going faster than usual with no effort. I'm hoping I can get some sleep this week since my life got pretty busy, and looks like that'll be the case for another month. I was planning on running with my neighbor this morning, but thought it best to sleep in and rest with how tired I am, and how tired my body felt. Not the best feeling this soon out but not much I can do. Asthma has also been annoying me since a cold about a month out, so I'm sticking with symbicort until the race at least.

PRs: HM: 1:32:59 (2015); FM: 3:18:36 (2017)

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Caught up after a busy couple of days. Congratulations Pesto, good work getting barely under goal FB (and I liked your report), interesting knee photos OMR, happy birthdays to Kev and Brew(?), and hi everyone else.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

dwave- haha, i said that to bf and he said "isn't that the way you are supposed to do it?" and then i realized ... hmm, yeah, and that's how dwave does it :P

dad- thanks for the details! i will not get on a treadmill unless my life (for some reason) depends on it, but luckily i live near (in, on...) enough hills that i can probably find an intersection with the surrounding segments of street at the grades you described.

fb- enjoyed the report! it's interesting how you think your energy system is what held you back the most and your body is fine. i think that would be preferable to the reverse! i am impressed that you ran today ( / why did you run today?! :P ) congrats on the BQ.

kk- that's a good week, especially considering prep for a move! don't underestimate the strength training in packing and carrying boxes :P

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

OMR

OMR - I enjoyed the blog entry, though even with your explanation, I wasn't sure what I was looking at.

I haven't had a chance to go over these with the surgeon - he showed them to my wife while I was still in recovery - but I believe the first three photos (not including the shaven leg) are of the bottom of the patella taken from underneath, maybe even partially from the inside out(?).  So, eventually all of those rough edges would start rubbing on/irritating other things.  For the meniscal tear, the first photo is looking at it head on, with the medial condyle on top, the tibia on the bottom, and the medial meniscus in between.  The circular shape on the right half of the first photo of the meniscus is part of the actual tear, and there appears to be some extra space at the bottom of the meniscus (center of the photo) where that should be.  The second photo shows that circular shape along with the "handle" that is still attached to it.  All of that is gone in the last photo (I think the camera angle is a little different here, but at least for me, I can see where there seems to be something "missing").

Strict WTF adherent

Thanks for the all the advice everyone.  I am shocked - SHOCKED - that you aren't all clamoring for the 7+ hour "Walk The Boston Marathon" adventure.  

Well, I am. But that probably goes without saying.

OMR - Glad to hear the surgery went well.

Nice racing Pesto and FB.

I'm not really going to try to catch up, so hello to everyone and all that. I never thought I'd say this, but I miss the ability to keep up by email through RWOL.

I'll be running two marathons in the next three weeks. After a cold winter and early spring, the temperature is supposed to hit 80 for this weekend's race. And I'm undertrained for the distance. And very fat. And this one is a trail race. And I've only run trails once that I can recall this year. I'm betting on a PR.

AceHarris

( "I'll be running two marathons in the next three weeks. After a cold winter and early spring, the temperature is supposed to hit 80 for this weekend's race. And I'm undertrained for the distance. And very fat. And this one is a trail race. And I've only run trails once that I can recall this year. I'm betting on a PR." )

McBen: sounds like a recipe for success!

The thread has been moving quickly per the usual. I gave a half-assed effort at catching up.

FB: nice racing in Rome! Enjoyed the RR and how the race was Italian, but not too Italian. Cobbles sound rough for 4 miles. Congrats on the BQ and looks like you're headed in the right direction.

Pesto: Once again, I'm not surprised by your super fast time! Way to go! Sub-3 is in your future. Sounds like conditions worked against you there. Also, not an easy course judging by the Strava profile. Did it feel hilly to you?

DWave: I get the "too cold to be social" feeling. Nice training cycle, I hope you put it to great use next week!

Brew: sick kids and family is tough. Somehow it's always the kids and me who get sick, my wife never gets ill.

I ran 10 minutes on Sunday and didn't have to alter my gait. This is improvement, but I still had pain. Going to continue taking it easy on the running side of things.  Continuing PT.  Using pain as my guide and may get on the Alter-G treadmill soon. I'm going to have to bust out my bike shorts to keep spinning, my bum is sore.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - Glad NeRP is feeling better, and that I've seen you post something to Strava. And happy belated-birthday.
                      Daniels' R runs are fast, but not hard since the recoveries are distance-based and can be as slow as you need in order to hit the R-pace stuff. It's the I stuff that's more difficult for me because of the set-duration recoveries; but I also do those on roads/hills which makes them a bit tougher than they would be on a track or flat roads.

FB - Great job with the smart racing and getting that solid BQ. I enjoyed the RR as well.

Nice week ahead of the race to DWave.

Jim - Good job working your way back at the race - glad the flexors didn't act up.
                      There's a level above "just" hitting a BQ? That shows me how far off I really am!

Pesto - Great job - Saw the results on Strava. Awesome PR in very not-ideal conditions.

Dad - Good week.

RLK - Very solid work this past week.

SClever - Nice week as well.

KK - Best of luck with selling the house.

Ilana - So happy to see that you're getting some speed back!

McB - Sounds like you have some interesting times coming. Can't wait to read the RRs!

Ace - Awesome that you're improving - hope it continues.

Me - I had a great race on Sunday, likely the best I've had to date. 27 seconds faster than my target (based on then-current VDOT). We had great racing weather, which likely contributed to this being far and away the fastest running of this race in the last 4+ years. Gratuitously long RR incoming!

Monday, Apr 02, 2018 thru Sunday, Apr 08, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                      Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
                      Mon 12.1 7:21 Daniels' T, 3x 2mi 151 (77%) strava
                      Mon 2.0 8:23 Belated cool-down in Watopia 141 (72%) strava
                      Tue 8.2 8:00 No airflow around the treadmill? Let's call it heat training. 144 (73%) strava
                      Tue 4.1 7:57 How many pizza slices does this buy me? 135 (69%) strava
                      Wed 10.1 7:49 6 roosting turkeys, 3 owls, & 1 meteor splitting apart 137 (70%) strava
                      Wed 3.1 7:53 Runch time in Watopia 140 (71%) strava
                      Thu 10.1 7:13 Daniels' R, 8x 400m, 1E in the middle, 2E before & after 146 (74%) strava
                      Thu 3.1 7:58 Why didn't I start this short double thing weeks ago? 131 (67%) strava
                      Fri 10.5 8:03 2 Red-tailed hawks & 1 unidentified raptor (I think it was a Mississippi Kite) 141 (72%) strava
                      Fri 3.7 8:18 One last easy double in Richmond 132 (67%) strava
                      Sun 1.5 7:24 Warm-up 142 (72%) strava
                      Sun 6.2 6:14 Redbud Classic 10k. 2nd AG, 11th OA. 172 (88%) strava
                      Sun 5.0 7:57 A ridiculously circuitous route back to the car. 145 (74%) strava
                      Sun 0.4 7:55 Rounding to 80 while waiting to take my PR fajitas home. Yes, PR fajitas are now a thing. 140 (71%) strava
                        80.1 7:39

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

The Redbud Classic is "the" spring tune-up race for the OKC Memorial Half/full Marathons in the area, but before this year I had never run it.

The running races are all on Sunday, with bike derby's on Saturday- all of Saturday's events were cancelled due to a freak (but not bad) snowstorm. Weather was nearly perfect, especially since the race starts at 2pm - overcast, mid-40's, but with a 12-15 mph south wind (typical for this time of year). The wind would be at our backs for about the first 1.25 mi, then a headwind from mile 3.3-3.8 and the last ~.6 miles.

In the days before the race I looked up the finishing times for the past 3 years and saw that only once (2015) had there been more than a handful of people sub-40, with maybe 9-10 in 2015. Seeing this, and having a (VDOT predicted) 39:20 in mind, I lined up just behind the people who looked faster than me. I was a bit unsure of what my pace should be as this was untapered and at the end of my biggest week in about a year, but at the same time I knew I was more fit than a month before at the 15k. In the end I decided to stick with the VDOT equivalent and make adjustments as I needed to.

The race starts off uphill, and as planned everyone ahead of me stayed there (for the time being) and no one passed me off the line. As things settled down I occasionally checked my watch and saw that my pace was a little faster than goal. Output from Stryd was right in line with what I thought I could sustain and the pace felt doable. These two things, and that the 15k that led to my current VDOT was finished with plenty of gas in the tank, led me to just go with the pace rather than slow down.

Mile 1 in 6:18, and the leaders were no where in sight by this point, but I was slowly catching up to the runner directly ahead of me. I passed him at about mile 1.5 and set my sights on the next person ahead of me.

Mile 2 was 6:20, which I mostly attribute to losing the tailwind since the effort felt the same. I passed runner #2 at about mile 2.5 and saw that the next person was well ahead of me at this point. From here the (slight) all uphill nature of the course turns to more easy rollers with an overall slight downhill for the rest of the race (maybe 50-60' net elevation loss to the end).

Mile 3: 6:18, Mile 4: 6:18. These miles are pretty uneventful, though my calves start to feel a bit tight. While I've never run these exact roads before, I have gone through the general neighborhood many times. I focus on running the tangents as best as I can from what I remember of the course map and what I can see of the runners ahead of me. Those ahead of me look to mostly be running along the curve of the road rather than the shortest line, and they slowly come back to me.

At about mile 4.25 I've caught up with the next runner, but it takes another 1/4 mile for me to pass him. I take the shortest route around a corner (between a badly parked golf cart and the curb) while he goes around the cart and don't see him again. Here the 5k and 10k courses converge, but the road is clear enough that I don't have to run a bad line.

Mile 5: 6:16. A short 1/4 mile uphill begins at mile 5 where the 5k and 10k courses diverge again, and while I can see the runner ahead of me (~100 yards) it doesn't look like I'll be able to catch him as he is holding on strong. At this point my calves are either feeling better or I'm just unaware that they're still bothering me and I'm feeling good enough that I know I should be able to come in ahead of goal and that I can increase my effort some.

I use the slight downhill ahead of me to increase pace and manage to overtake the only runner I can see in front of me. Mile 6: 6:06. I pour on everthing I can and cross the line in 38:56, 5:41 /mi pace for the last .23 mile my watch records after mile 6.

I finished with a bit left in the tank, but nowhere near as much as I did in my previous 15k. I'm absolutely thrilled with my time, even splits, and (taken with a grain of salt) notice that my watch gives me credit for not just the 10k PR (which matches chip time) but also a 1 second 5k PR. All in all, this leaves me super-phyched for my upcoming HM. I'm finding out that running this middle-ish distance stuff to be lots of fun, plus I finally get to fill out my sig line!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

oregonrw

Keen: Nice mileage, and congratulations on the 10k! It sounds like you ran a great race, and that the training is really paying off.

Pesto: Congrats on the really fast marathon! I'd love to run Paris someday.

FB: Congrats on your marathon as well -- cobblestone streets in the last few miles sounds tricky. Nice job on the BQ.

OMR: Glad the surgery was successful and I'm hoping PT is going smoothly.

Katia: Good luck with the house and I hope you are able to get some extra sleep this week.

Ace: glad there is improvement, hope it continues.

McBen: Have you run a trail marathon before? if not, PR!  That's my method, anyway.

Hope all the Mass Marathon runners are enjoying taper!

I'm sick.  Dh was sick all last week with a bad cold and I was feeling slightly smug for not catching it -- clearly thanks to my clean living and superior health.  That all collapsed Saturday night when I realized I was getting sick.  Sunday was pretty bad, and it's not getting a lot better, which is really bad timing because I have to make a speech at an event Thursday night.  I didn't run yesterday, probably won't today either. Ugh.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

oregon- Sad sorry you're not feeling great. eat lots of oranges! i laughed at this, though: "clearly thanks to my clean living and superior health"

this was fun to read.

http://www.letsrun.com/news/2018/04/running-experts-sound-off-tell-us-will-win-boston-whether-theyre-rooting-galen-rupp/

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Oregon - feel better!

CK - again, excellent 10K.  As I said on Strava, you and now have identical 10K PRs, but I don't expect that to last long, as you continue to advance.

Jim (that's a "wow") on the invitation for your running buddy.  That is truly leveling up.

McBen - enjoy what I will term a "baby bad idea."

Hi to all others.  7 miles for me this am.  3 warm-up (9:16), 4x800 in 3:00, 3:01, 2:57, 2:54, 1 mile cooldown (9:31) plus recovery swimming.  Legs felt fantastic; breathing was tight.

I suspected the start of an asthma flare from last week's issues, so checked my breathing - yup, mildly impaired.   Per my doctor's instructions, I can take the pred any time I flare.  Since I can't take pred within 5 days of the race (legal out of comp, banned in comp, and 5 days is my personal boundary between pred and racing), I went ahead and took a small dose today.  Hopefully that will knock it out.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

OMR -- excellent news! It's funny when they tell an ultra runner to let pain be your guide, expecting that you will slow down, or stop, when it hurts. Good luck with PT! You're going to come out of this better than new.

FYP.  If you can't fix it with duct tape or super glue, it's time to go to the hospital.