2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

just catching up on here - watched elites this morning and finished up tracking friends (real and imaginary!) at work just now.

HOLY SHIT that was the most bizarre marathon ever

i loved it. so exciting to watch. that was a race

reeling about desi
    so intrigued and amazed by kawauchi

something fishy going on w jordan / rupp ... want to know. london should not let either of them in.

so many DNFs. makes you wonder exactly why/what their plans are. sage DNFed which makes sense because he is chasing a time and it wasn't going to happen today, he knew by ~25k.
    kirui limped to the finish?
    huddle also had some weird hitch in her stride towards the end?
    who is sarah sellers??

incredibly amazed by our people braving what looked like an absolutely miserable run! congrats to all!

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Just to save everyone some time I'm going to write a generic RR:

"The weather sucked.

The crowd was awesome.

It took me forever to get warm afterward.

Was so excited to hear Desi won!

Marathons are stoopid."

Lapped by rlk.

I think the limping is hypothermia related; it can really mess w/ your neuromuscular coordination.

Agree re: Rupp; less sure about JH. This was a NOP goes home devastated' day for sure! (As an aside, some folks (LRCers) wonder why the anti-Rupp sentiment ... put aside the skirting the rules on drug and simply contrast Rupp's DNF versus gutsy Desi.)

Yes, who is sarah sellers?!

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

dad- no idea. letsrun has deleted all of the sarah sellers related threads and it is very bizarre.

re. neuromuscular stuff - ironic  bc yesterday i watched ross tucker's take on callum hawkins' heat stroke collapsing at commonwealth games marathon - and how it took *15 minutes* for medical help to reach him after he cracked his head on metal railings multiple times. anyway, that is all CNS related too, the staggering and how people sort of look crippled. just total opposite conditions there.

see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MaxxmpAyXQ

desi is a hero. rupp is a coward. (unless we later learn that he was hypothermic and body failing or sometihng... but all of our past data points line up with the coward story.) i think that is the general sentiment even without AlSal allegations

Jim E

oregonrw

Wow, that was something! So many drops -- Deena Kastor was going for the masters win/record and she dropped just after the half, I think -- I wonder what the finishing rate will be of the regular runners. It looked miserable out there. The other day I was thinking it would be similar to 2015, which I didn't think was THAT bad -- but today looked worse.  So excited to watch Desi finish.  That was amazing. I read somewhere that she said when she was training in Kenya if it was raining all the women would wait until the rain stopped to go on their training run, so she thought Americans would have an advantage in bad weather -- she was right. Kirui looked like he was barely moving the last mile. I have no idea who most of the American women who finished in the top 10 are -- Kimi Reed? Nicole Dimercurio? Also, doesn't Rupp have asthma? I wondered if that was why he was wearing the bandana or whatever on his face, to keep from breathing in really cold air.  Or it's some weird Salazar trick.  Who knows.

Congrats to all the 3:20-ers out there -- way to tough out an incredibly hard day.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

Wow, that was something! So many drops -- Deena Kastor was going for the masters win/record and she dropped just after the half, I think -- I wonder what the finishing rate will be of the regular runners.

Also, doesn't Rupp have asthma? I wondered if that was why he was wearing the bandana or whatever on his face, to keep from breathing in really cold air.  Or it's some weird Salazar trick.  Who knows.

I think the elite drop rate is way higher than the regular people. honestly, elites have pretty ideal running-life conditions. people like us (here!) are more used to running in dark, rain, shit weather, etc. when we're tired from our jobs, life, stress. kind of in the same way Desi and Yuki are heralded as "blue collar runners", i think people like us embody some of that, too. we pay and take days off to go over to boston and run. sarah sellers and yuki kawauchi both have full-time jobs! i think a lot of it was mindset and pack-running - plenty of my friends came out with PRs.
                some of the elites might drop and try to rebound for a different race. unless people are chasing a clock time (which is kinda silly/risky to do at Boston given all this weather BS year after year), i think that's a bit cowardly. make it a footrace! like Desi did. who cares if she ran a 2:39? she was first to finish.

lol @ salazar trick. slow-drip oral testo-gel. who knows.

runethechamp

I also thought the scarf thing Rupp was using seemed silly, and I'm having a hard time believing it being for the asthma, but who knows. Lots of cross country skiers have asthma because they train and race in really cold weather, but those who have it get a TUE and can use medicines for it. I don't think any of those guys consider the air temperature to be an issue for their lungs until the temperature goes into the low teens.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I am alive.  About to go drinking heavily.  I will message the 3:20 crew on FB in case anyone wants to join once I know a location.

I'm happy I did it, but not fun.  I bonked the last two miles, which I think was because I didn't take enough GUs - I was wearing thick gloves and it was such a struggle to extract the GUs from my wet shorts that I was worried I'd fall every time I grabbed on.

More later.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

fb-guy

Huge congratulations to everyone.

DW, Jamie, KK, Fly, Aggie (go old guys), Elizabeth -- you guys Rock!!!

Stay warm and drink heavily.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

Jim E

Huge congratulations to everyone.

DW, Jamie, KK, Fly, Aggie (go old guys), Elizabeth -- you guys Rock!!!

Stay warm and drink heavily.

Yup. Hoist one for Desi. And Sarah and Yuki and...

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Wow, take a weekend off and you're 7 pages behind! Granted, this is a busy extended weekend.

McB - Maybe just chalk it up as a learning experience? Kudos for making your son's baseball game.

Brew - RR incoming?

Botswana - DESI !!! That was awesome. Terrible conditions all around. Great job to all of our step-up-from-imaginary friends who were there. All hail the VPN for viewing options.
                          There has to be a ton of people who missed a BQ today because of the conditions. I wonder if that's going to significantly (or at least noticeably) affect BQ cutoffs for next year.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

AceHarris

Are you Monday Marathoners warm yet??  I'm looking forward to your descriptions of today's conditions.

Really glad Desi won and even more glad that she's the headline and not "Rupp DNFs". Curious to see what reason they list for his DNF.

I was a little surprised Shalane and Molly weren't able to hang with Desi today.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Speed Surplus

"desi is a hero. rupp is a coward."

I get people not liking Rupp because of AlSal or NOP, but... give me a break. The dude has crushed it in plenty of tough conditions. Remember the Oly trials marathon? Like 80+degrees in LA? Rupp killed it. Rainy humid conditions in Rio? Rupp killed it.

A coward? Really?

And for the record, I'm a Desi fan as well. Kinda teared up at the end when she won.

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Busy morning here - trying to take care of a couple things while refreshing "my runners" and working through the race recording.

So cool about Desi!  What a great story to miss by 2 seconds and come back and win by a $hitload.  And it's hilarious to me that a guy who won 3 marathons already this year won - and finished, unlike some elites...  Fun race to watch for those stories.  Also fun race to watch as in, it would not have been a fun race to be trying to walk through and beat the cutoffs.  Lucked out on that one.

Congratulations to the finishers and everyone who toed the start line in spite of the forecast.  It looked at least as bad as the predictions.