2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

runethechamp

Out of 32 starting male and female runners with bib number 20 or lower, only 12 finished...

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Rune - That's a crazy DNF rate! I'm pretty sure Leadville has a better finish rate than that.

Felt really good on my workout this morning, really low HR (chest strap this time) during the whole thing. Possibly partially due to it being just a touch below freezing with very little wind. All of the big work toward my goal HM is now done.
      Seeing "only" ~48-50 miles this week and even less next is a bit strange at this point. I hated doing my key LR on the treadmill, but had no choice. Anyone (Ilana!) care to hazard a guess as to what I can run the HM in?
      This year (ignoring the current week) I have 879 miles, avg 58.57 mi/wk. The past 10 weeks (when my plan started) have been 64.4 mi/wk avg. No missing runs, though I did have to split some shorter ones into doubles at times. 15k race (on 3/3 flatter than goal race) done in 1:00:35 with gas in the tank. 10k (on 4/8, similar profile overall, slightly flatter than goal race) in 38:56. Wind/weather were comparable for these races to that of my goal in recent years.

Monday, Apr 09, 2018 thru Sunday, Apr 15, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
      Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
      Mon 8.6 7:45 Just some coyotes howling. Everything else must have slept in. 138 (70%) strava
      Tue 7.3 7:41 1 crane, 1 owl, and 3 rabbits 140 (71%) strava
      Tue 3.8 7:42 Sunshiney make-up miles. 144 (73%) strava
      Wed 11.3 7:15 Daniels' T. 2x 3mi, + 3 deer (1 stride per deer) 151 (77%) strava
      Thu 4.1 7:48 Woke up way late. Run 1 of 2. 145 (74%) strava
      Thu 4.1 7:47 Heat acclimation. Run 2 of 2. 139 (71%) strava
      Fri 8.3 7:46 Treadmill feature: HEAT. Seemed appropriate for the weather. 143 (73%) strava
      Sat 13.7 6:49 Daniels' 12@ M, with my own fast finish in Watopia. 2% grade all the way. 154 (79%) strava
        61.2 7:25

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Congrats to all who raced today!  Good results in tough conditions for everybody I think.

What a fun and memorable race to watch...  I'm so happy for Desi.  I've always been a fan of hers  (Desi>Shalane>>>Kara)

I don't understand the lack of E. African depth in this race.

Anyone (Ilana!) care to hazard a guess as to what I can run the HM in?

I ran a 38:31 10K and 1:25:38 HM relatively close together a few years ago (sigh); I'd say 1:26 low, weather/course/pacing dependent of course.

runethechamp

I don't understand the lack of E. African depth in this race.

Seven East African male runners with PRs faster than  Kirui, who won last year (eight in London next week). Three East African women with PRs under 2:20 (there are 4 in London). So it's not that bad of a field.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

AceHarris

The forecast in Boston tomorrow looks perfect for marathoning!

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

pepperjack

pie man

Maybe the lack of pacemakers keeps some of the depth away?  I also think a lot of the folks who dropped with make another attempt this season, maybe at a smaller race that still has decent prize money.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

OMR

I wasn't able to watch any of today's events, so it was fun to read through the posts here.  Hope to be able to watch it sometime soon.  But...congrats to everyone, that had to be a tough day!

Had my first PT appointment today, which included some time on an AlterG.  PT suggested not running for the time being, as he is working on mobilizing my kneecap, getting rid of scar tissue, and getting my hips/core back to the way things used to be, and my knee was a little sore after he was done today.  But, I can bike or use an elliptical as much as I want, and then do the multitude of strengthening/stretching exercises he gave me.

Pesto

Holy cow, that was something!

Even though I did not watch the race, I tracked everyone in the sub 3:20 crew. I was reloading every 10 minutes.

i saw some videos and it looked miserable! I must admit I’m not sure I’d have started. If people think we’re crazy for running 26 miles in one go, I can’t even imagine what they’d think about yesterday, with 30k people running the distance in pouring rain and 40-50 kmh headwinds.

I even thought you were all crazy first, no chance to PR or run close to your potential, high chance of hypothermia. However, as the race went along I started imagining myself there and I’m sure it was something special, a real feeling of belonging and camaraderie. And now I’m sorry I missed it!

ok, rant is over. I can’t give enough kudos to all the runners, CD, DkW, Jaime, e78, kk. Incredible to toughen up like that and pull out amazing times in those conditions. I can’t wait to hear about it!

Just for the record, I do wish conditions are good next year, when I’ll probably be there :P

CD - how are you feeling? everything ok?

Rlk - you really have friends who PRd yesterday?! That’s impressive!

CK - I think you’re in for a big PR, I’d say 1:25 ish or maybe better if you are willing to take a risk. How much did you have left in the tank in the 15k race? Do you think you could have gone another 24 mins?

me - My legs are feeling quite well, my hammy is a bit tight, especially after running, but other than that they feel almost as good as new. So, I’m thinking about something crazy. I have another marathon on Sunday. Two RBs are trying for sub3. I’m considering joining them. It depends on other things as well (a friend wants me to pace him to 3:50, but it’s still not certain), but if I can, and if weather is good, I’m thinking of giving it a go. In this race you can always drop at the half marathon and you still get the medal for the HM, so if I see I can’t do it at that point I can always quit and still “finish”. It’ll be only 2 weeks between marathons. What do you think? Please talk me out of it.

5K - 18:03 (5.18) | 10K - 37:58 (2.18) | HM - 1:20:45 (9.18) | FM: 2:57:59 (10.18)

mattw4jc

Seems like yesterday was about having the guts to keep going. Congrats to all of you who braved it. And kudos to all the volunteers and spectators.

I am interested in seeing numbers such as how many registered Did Not Start. And how many started vs finished (how many DNFs). But you'd have to compare that to previous year DNS and DNF numbers to see if it was any different.

As for a lot not requalifying - same thing. How does that compare to previous years? Many did not requalify last year due to the heat, but yet the cut-off was the highest ever.

AceHarris

Pesto: I feel like it’d be really tough to give as good or better effort at another marathon so soon, but that’s just my guess, no data to support that thought.

CK: I think you’re primed for a fast race too. With your mileage as of late 13 miles is nothing. I think it’ll be a mental thing. I’m thinking 1:25 or better

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

fb-guy

Pesto -- another PR attempt at two weeks might be a challenge, as it seems like you went all out in Paris. I've done two PRs at six weeks, but not at two. It could be fun though!

CK -- it seems like there is a lot less risk in a half; maybe a fade an a missed PR, but not a blow up. Go for it!

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

Strict WTF adherent

I ran a 38:31 10K and 1:25:38 HM relatively close together a few years ago (sigh); I'd say 1:26 low, weather/course/pacing dependent of course.

I've never run a sub-39:00 10K, but have run a 1:25 half twice. Depends on what your strengths are, I suppose...

Regarding people re-qualifying and whatnot, this is interesting

https://www.marathoninvestigation.com/2018/04/2018-boston-marathon-first-look-data.html

pepperjack

pie man

I would be interested in a comparison to 2012, that year a lot of folks didn't requalify.

edit: we need sam to chime in on the 'marathon two weeks later experience.'

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Sara sellers "Her finish was the best  ever by a native Utah  at the Boston Marathon." KK I guess you have some competition. lol!

Keen good luck next weekend with the race. As someone just starting the JD training method I'm perplexed about how you figured all this out. I assume it's a lot of math you sat down with then figured out what training runs work for you. I didn't see your most recent workout in his HM training plan but this book reminds me of a 400 level college chemistry course book more than the "how to run fast" Hanson's book. I'll post the RR in a minute. Didn't remember to actually so this should be interesting. Seriously, there is so many numbers in here...it's insane.

rupp I know a lot of people love seeing him fail because of who his coach is.

Krista Duchene 41 year old female from Canada runs 3rd place. Her time was within 1 minute of her London time. Her PR is 2:30 from 2 years ago. I'd say this is something to keep on the radar. She said her PR is 2:28 which makes me chuckle when BAA lists Chicago as her PR.

dw I hope the drinking was accompanied by chips and guac, or salsa.

rlk I agree on how elites can drop a race much easier than us mortals. I wouldn't say they have a dream life for training since they HAVE to train or they might not get paid. Yes they have more time to recovery but it's back to the whole "2-2.5 hour long run vs 23 miler" discussion. They have lives, and social media commitments, along with training professionally. I'm not sure I'd enjoy it other than I'd spend a lot of time with 1 or 2 people instead of going into the office daily.

My Week:

Realizing I'm 6 months from Chicago, and I'm fat and slow, I decided to be serious about running with how much it's going to cost to go to Chicago. Plus I want to meet everyone for the 4/20/20 race. I COULD have made 50 miles however Saturday I stayed up too late (beer) so I slept in and missed my training window. I didn't exactly get excited about the thought of 7 miles on the treadmill and prioritized keeping the house clean, and letting DW and NeRP try to nap for a bit. 30 MPH winds prevented outside running so after birthday lunch (postponed because DW was sick) I ended up staying inside and cleaning up. In order to get more serious about weekend runs, and realizing I don't have much possibility after 10:00am to do them, I just need to put the beers down for a few months of late nights in order to go for 3:07. I'm not sure how my 16.25 total miles for Saturday compare to a 16 mile long run but the 1.45 mile run was holding a draft beer. DW was probably expecting more since I brought a dark one to share.

Weekly Summary
                                Monday, Apr 09, 2018 thru Sunday, Apr 15, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                                Day Miles Pace Duration Description Link
                                Mon 9.0 8:30 1:16 That time we measure things in ounces strava
                                Tue 6.8 9:48 1:06 That time I made a special guest apperance strava
                                Wed 4.5 9:13 0:41 That time it was a WAF run strava
                                Fri 7.3 8:15 0:59 That time it wasn’t my lucky day. strava
                                Sat 1.5 9:04 0:14 That time I warmed up the engine. strava
                                Sat 13.2 9:02 1:59 That time I was a Porsche. strava
                                Sat 1.4 10:48 0:15 That time I went with hydration. strava
                                  43.7 9:00 6:33    

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22