2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

RunnerJones

Will Run for Donuts!

If I got this right, DW ran 1:25:43. 64th woman and 1st AG. Wahoo!

5K 20:44 6:41

10K 19:56 6:25

15K 30:13 6:31

20K 30:26 6:35

Overall pace 6:28, so a fast close.

Excellent. That seems to be 85 and some change -- which I think was Plan A!

Congratulations on the AG win, DW!

dw - congrats on a fantastic race!   I'm impressed that you're still improving so deep into your career.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Thanks guys - happy with it. ~50 second PR, so yay.   Tougher than I was expecting, I had to dig really deep in the last 4 miles.  But very happy with the result.  I'll do the race report tonight.

If you're wondering why the elite women's times were faster than the mens, it's because there was a bit of a head wind for the second half of the race.  Not a huge factor, but you definitely noticed if it you were by yourself.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

I would wish good luck but that makes no sense... how about good pacing?

ha, i like this. friend's gmail photo is "hope less, kick more" and i fully agree with it. there is very little luck and hope in distance running (and most other pursuits)!

ace- "while the rest of my family naps" hehe, i think youre the one who deserves a nap Wink so fast!!! congrats! ruh roh, course issue doesn't sound great. checking out recap...

agree with all of the accolades for dwave's 1AG at houston. looked at the top50 resutls for all 4 races (gender / distance) and was so so impressed - super deep fields. congrats on squarely hitting your goal and squeezing out a PR! echoing what rovatti  said and not trying to be a pessimist, but usually at a certain point people start looking at improvement by AG% scores instead of raw times, and it is pretty fantastic that you are still chipping away.

and i don't think eliz has stopped by yet but she PRed the half in 1:32!!!! woo woo!

solid weekend all around. congrats sub320ers for making me feel vicariously fast.

also.. molly huddle. damn.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Pesto

Hi everyone! Glad to see the group racing as fast as ever! Re-joining the forum now. I don't think I'll be able to post as often as before (work is a bit crazy), but will try.

ace - huge congrats on a significant PR in tough conditions! The pacing was incredibly stable throughout the race (from strava). Also, the Forrest Gump-like image after crossing the finish line is quite hilarious. I can't believe they'd mess up the marking like that, that is extremely annoying.

DkW - congrats on the AG win and a super speedy PR! Like many have said, an AG group in Houston is quite remarkable! Looking forward to the RR.

e78 - fantastic job on the PR to you too! Saw your pace was 7:00 flat, that was the goal, right?

OMR - hope your problem (not going to try to even spell it) improves soon...

dad - great week!

Also, from last year, thanks everyone who gave feedback on the FB friend dilemma. In case you are interested, I worte him a message saying I'd be there in Paris if he wants to meet up and gave him some links to plans in case he wants to check them out.

Hi everyone else! My last 2 weeks:

Monday, Jan 01, 2018 thru Sunday, Jan 07, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
            Day Miles Pace Duration Description Link
            Wed 5.1 8:25 0:43 Recovery run strava
            Fri 10.1 7:26 1:14 16 km with 8k @ LT. First run as a father of two Smile strava
            Sat 16.8 7:50 2:11 27 km LR strava
            Sun 5.6 9:11 0:51 Recovery run with V and off to the park to play strava
            Sun 0.8 9:20 0:07 ... and back home strava
              38.4 8:02 5:08

Monday, Jan 08, 2018 thru Sunday, Jan 14, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
            Day Miles Pace Duration Description Link
            Tue 8.5 8:02 1:08 Aerobic run w 10x100m strides strava
            Wed 5.0 8:56 0:44 Wet recovery run in the rain strava
            Thu 8.0 7:47 1:02 Aerobic Lunch Run strava
            Fri 5.7 8:25 0:47 Recovery run strava
            Sun 14.6 8:02 1:57 Snowy MLR pacing J strava
              41.8 8:09 5:40

Needless to say, I couldn't run as much as I wanted to on the first week of the year, due to a new job and a new baby. Last week was according to plan though (down-week). Those are weeks 5 and 6 of a modified Pfitz 18/55.

Have a great week everyone!

5K - 18:03 (5.18) | 10K - 37:58 (2.18) | HM - 1:20:45 (9.18) | FM: 2:57:59 (10.18)

Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

Thanks guys - happy with it. ~50 second PR, so yay.   Tougher than I was expecting, I had to dig really deep in the last 4 miles.  But very happy with the result.  I'll do the race report tonight.

If you're wondering why the elite women's times were faster than the mens, it's because there was a bit of a head wind for the second half of the race.  Not a huge factor, but you definitely noticed if it you were by yourself.

Congrats! I was so excited when I looked up your time. And First Female Master with such a competitive field. That's an amazing accomplishment! Hopefully they give you an award that's made out of steel or something unbreakable! 

And I'm SO GLAD you had the same independent assessment of the wind that I did. Not a huge factor, but noticeable enough to cause a little slow down at the end. And that last mile. . . when you couldn't even see more than 4 feet in front of you, while being hit with the wind. That required some digging for sure.

26.2 x 31 (3:15:34 PR)

13.1 x 35 (1:30:58 PR)

Author of the book Boston Bound

Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

No time for replies at the moment, but I have read through everything. Congrats to Ace, and sorry about the course issue!

Here is my Houston Half report, hot of the presses. My experience was the same as Darkwave. Was hoping for a little bit faster, but the last four miles were tougher than expected with the wind, with the last mile being particularly difficult. It's still a big PR for me, and best of all, it predicts a sub-20 5K according to the McMillan calculator.

26.2 x 31 (3:15:34 PR)

13.1 x 35 (1:30:58 PR)

Author of the book Boston Bound

OMR

Dwave & Eliz:  Wow, congrats to both of you!  Impressive racing!  (Exploding sausage/dancing purple elephant x 20)

My week:

M:  Rest

T:  7 that I shouldn't have run

W:  Rest

T:  2.75 that I shouldn't have run

F:  Rest

S:  Rest

S:  35min elliptical

Strict WTF adherent

Congrats DW and Eliz. Outstanding.

You too Ace, even though I believe this is the second race in a row where you've beaten my PR by a few seconds

A 3:20 Slowpoke

Ace -  nice race even with the course screw up. So frustrating!

DW & E78 -  congrats on the PR’s. Nice way to start 2018!

OMR -  heal up fast!

Dad -  your workouts always make me feel slow and inadequate.  You’re a monster!

My week:

M - sick

T- 6 easy

W - lame URD

Th - 13 trail

F - 10.2  6 w/dog

Sa - 15 road

Su - 6.3 easy

Total - 50.5

had to have a big second half of the week just to hit 50.

PR's   5k - 20:39 (2014).  10k - 42:04 (2014)   13.1 - 1:30:30 (2014)   26.2 - 3:14:21 2017)

Upcoming Races  -   Boston Marathon 4/18

Running Problem

Problem Child

Awesome racing from everyone this weekend. You three seem to have some powerful legs and willpower to run through a wind storm.

Quick dump before finishing up house cleaning, fitting in a run (treadmill or outside???) and getting in anything else I can before tomorrow. I'm slightly impressed with my weekend "long" runs for not wanting to die the entire time as well as going for back to back days. i threw a few strides into the end of Saturdays run. Surprising how hard it was to try and go fast even on a downhill. I did a self timed "10 seconds" and "start at that point" which was close to 1 minute when the intervals got longer. Looking forward to doing the intervals dw posted a few days ago to start working on 5k speed. I think this is the minimum mileage something clever said he requires for participation. Carrying a kid isn't as difficult as it seems and I'd rather do it most places than push a stroller with a car seat. I'm sure DW appreciated it.

my week

Weekly Summary
                        Monday, Jan 08, 2018 thru Sunday, Jan 14, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                        Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
                        Tue 8.0 9:02 That time there was a lesson to be learned. 147 strava
                        Thu 3.5 9:25 That time I almost had a heart attack. 145 strava
                        Fri 4.1 12:58 That time this brings back memories. 155 strava
                        Sat 7.5 9:15 That time it was strictly recreational. 162 strava
                        Sun 7.5 9:16 That time I ran bacon miles. 157 strava
                        Sun 2.3 24:02 That time I was responsible for precious cargo. 91 strava
                          32.9 10:41      

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

RunnerJones

Will Run for Donuts!

Congratulations to E78 also!

fb-guy

Ace, DW and E78 -- great weekend guys! Complimenti

McB -- sorry to see those milestones fall.

OMR -- been there. Not sure what to say, but sometimes getting out there for a few miles even though it's a stupid idea is probably the right thing! There's the brain and the body, and sometimes you need to feed the brain. :-)

Pesto -- that's pretty damm quick. Good luck building up your miles.

My week:

4v@ 8:16

6 @ 7:57

8 @ 8:22

8 @ 8:12

8 @ 8:39

6 @ 8:28

10 @ 7:55

50 @ 8:15

It's interesting. This is the first time I've run 50+ at this pace for 2+ years. That and my course is bonkers -- more than 1000 ft up in five miles. Fingers seriously crossed. I hope I don't crash.

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Hi guys - some great weeks and races out there - Congrats to E78 and Ace.  Sorry for the drive-by, but I had to go on a work trip directly from Houston. I'm in Tampa, on leg two of what I've entitled "the Fall 2017 Hurricane tour".  I won't be responding much over the next few days.

Race report is here.

My week was 38 miles on land plus 15 "miles" in the pool.
                              M: 8 "miles" pool-running plus DIY yoga.
                              T: 2 mile warm-up on track, then a decision to post-pone workout.  Another 2 mile warm-up, and then a Whitehurst Freeway workout that was the equivalent to 1600, 4x800. Followed with 2 mile cooldown.

W: 7 miles very easy (8:51) plus drills, two strides.  Sports massage in afternoon.
                              Th: 7 "miles" pool-running and light upper body weights/core plus DIY yoga.
                              F: 6 miles, including a mile uptempo in 6:08.  Followed with DIY yoga.
                              Sa: DIY yoga.
                              Su: 2 mile warm-up, half marathon in 85:43.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

hypothetical question for those of you who are more marathon-knowledgeable than i am, which i think is everyone :P ...

if i am running a marathon on 12/2 and were to go on a trip to patagonia (5 hour time difference) from 11/16-11/27, would this drastically affect my race? it would be a not-super-active trip (with 61 year old dad and his contemporaries). i guess the usual travel risk of getting sick would be there. i would be in a hard taper during that time frame.

this would obviously not ideal, but bf and i are trying to plan a trip with my dad. bf and i strongly prefer the christmas week timeframe from a fall race + vacation day perspective, but noncompetitive and retired dad doesn't have a huge amount of sympathy for those factors Wink

thanks friends!

ETA: this question no longer applies since dad conceded to a late december trip. hooray!

_________________________________________________
                                mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58