2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

Jim E

aubuti- hi!! haven't run avenue of the giants in particular, but jim and i have run a half marathon on the same course that's in october each year. the the weather there is generally pretty temperate and things feel cooler under the redwoods.

Hi aubuti! - Yes, I like that course. It's smooth and only has gentle gradients, on the section that we ran anyway, Last year I ran a couple of miles of the other half as a warmup and that was similar. The trees will protect you from whatever weather is happening, It was raining but we scarcely noticed.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

SClever - Thanks! I'm currently thinking about going out at 86 minute pace (weather allowing) and reassessing by 10k if need be.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Running Problem

Problem Child

Race Review here. Enjoy. I just figured out how to post them to my "profile" page so I moved the last one. Apparently I don't know how Strava works. My niece (8th grader) said she would have quit at the hills. I told her she couldn't because there is no way back to the start except finishing. I also told her I'm dumb and most races I've picked seem to be like that (can't quit, might as well finish) which I never realized.

DW Trekking poles. Some people in the trail community call them wizard sticks. I think it's because they're used for walking. I just think it's funny.

Pesto Good job not quitting.

rlk Beer. Also, do some easy runs. Don't focus on race pace every single time. Maybe skip practice and just run by feel for a bit. It sounds more mental and running specific paces are hurting that mental process of building confidence. The last thing I'd think you need is more negative reinforcement saying you "can't" when you actually "can" if you get out of your own way.

dad Oh I'm getting a little pissed off at Max's influence in my running. H would probably send me photos of his belt buckle collection just to motivate me to join THAT club if he wasn't so busy I'd bet. Also, that is A LOT of speed/interval work.

sc Oh trust me, it is insane by my standards as well. Running is bullsh*t. Drinking beer just isn't much of a option, or shouldn't be, these days so I need to fill my time with SOMETHING. Legos and video games are expensive.

My week. I cut Sunday short because DW was sick and home with NeRP and I started feeling bad. Even though she told me she doesn't care if I'm running and training towards the goal I just started feeling like leaving her home while sick with a kid isn't cool. Especially since I woke up and hung out for about an hour before starting the run. The "you're going this late? You've been up for a half hour" kind of stuck in my head.

Weekly PR. Multiple loops of the same route. Took a walk with DW and NeRP after the race and felt decent. I'm also realizing 70 miles is 10 miles per day which means there is no possible way to do it without 30 miles on the weekend even if I did 8 miles every day during the week. Where do people find the time? Even if I did 3 miles in the morning and the rest on lunch it's a ton of time. Plus I thought I'd be able to do some TRX but I don't see that happening any time soon. Unless I find some more free time. Somehow I'm going to try and get 60+ this week, without another rest day probably, and avoid getting sick from the other two people in the house.

Weekly Summary
        Monday, Apr 16, 2018 thru Sunday, Apr 22, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
        Day Miles Pace Description Egain Link
        Mon 6.3 8:39 That time I tried to mimic conditions in Boston 295 strava
        Tue 7.0 8:58 That time I can't believe that just happened 133 strava
        Wed 7.3 8:09 That time I picked a training plan. 352 strava
        Thu 9.0 8:16 That time I went the extra extra mile 420 strava
        Fri 6.6 8:30 That time I thought it would be longer 290 strava
        Sat 13.7 12:35 That time I have the GPS. Never need a map again. 3139 strava
        Sat 2.3 24:57 That time I’m doing dad duties. 38 strava
        Sun 5.3 8:50 That time the early 🦅 gets the 🐛 . 209 strava
          57.5 10:08   4876  

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

oregonrw

Pesto: Congrats on another marathon! Seems fast to me, and glad you were able to enjoy the last few miles.  That's a fast recovery!  I read the winner of the Boston Marathon raced a half marathon on Saturday -- apparently he recovers quickly too.

Brewing: Nice job on the trail half -- sounds challenging.

Keen: Sounds like pretty good conditions for your race, other than the wind. Hopefully that cooperates too.

Ilana: Congrats on the 5k. I'm sure the speed will come back - I think maybe Dad said something once about turnover getting more important as runners get older and I have found that to be true. It's much easier for me to slog along on easy runs forever -- but short fast runs are much harder, particularly if I haven't done them in awhile. I've been trying to add strides more often, just to remind myself what faster turnover feels like.

rlk: I hope you feel better -- overtraining?

I ran 8 Saturday, nothing Sunday and 7 today.  I have something going on with my left foot so took Sunday off, which helped.  I think it might be tendinitis in my big toe, and I really think it started from running around downtown a couple of days last week in high heels, which I hadn't done in awhile.  So I'm icing, taking advil, and wearing sensible shoes. I'm turning into a 90 year old lady apparently.

mattw4jc

Speaking of impressive, I don't know how many of you know, um, I think his last screen name on RWOL was Iamdisappoint? As I learned on Facebook, he ran 2:51 at Boston and then 2:56 at London today.

Yes, he ran just under 2:51 at Boston, but I don't think he ran London also. As Keen mentioned, he does drop in on the sub 3 forum with that same handle. They didn't mention him for London there. I searched the London results and do see a runner by the same name, but it says he is from Great Britain and ran a 5+ hour marathon. I could be wrong though.

Pesto

Thanks oregon, sc and ck!

That is crazy about the Boston guy racing a HM less than a week later! I think I will not recover as quickly this time around. I was feeling great yesterday but today my quadriceps are quite tight. More so than after paris. I’m definitely done marathoning until the fall.

fb - I’m based in Vienna, that’s why I ran the race on Sunday. High temps are staying in the mid to high 70s for a few days at least it seems.

5K - 18:03 (5.18) | 10K - 37:58 (2.18) | HM - 1:20:45 (9.18) | FM: 2:57:59 (10.18)

Running Problem

Problem Child

A local runner did a 2:52 at Boston. He ran a half on Saturday in Salt Lake. 1:21:32 according to Strava. Second in his age group too. I can't even imagine how his legs feel or how his wife and kids feel about all the running trips but I assume they're accustomed to it.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

fb-guy sorry missed the comment. We have snakes here. USUALLY they're gopher snakes and aren't going to harm anyone but we have poisonous ones also. A friend who has done a few trail races told me during a training run he liked to run in the ditches made by water run off until another runner said being bitten by a snake on the ankle won't end your day but if you're running with your head at that level you're done for. He never ran the ditches again. I've never seen one on a trail run BUT the guys I run with on lunch sent me a video of one they found on a training run. They said it's better to be the first person because they scare the snake. The second one is who gets the bite.

VDOT 53.37 

dad- while magness' spelling and grammar is difficult to tolerate, that was an insightful and helpful read - thanks!

Ha! Try reading the book; lots of great advice, but a brutal delivery. Glad article helped. I realized after I wrote that doing a 25-40 min aerobic run (MP+5-10%) can sometimes be helpful if you have some speed burnout; think of it as hitting the opposite point in a star or how you tighten lug nuts. Also, I think the article mentions, but ice baths or cold water on legs (shower, garden hose, or pool running) does wonders.

Ilana ~ Glad to see you racing, even if the numbers are bigger.

Hey Aubuti!

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Ha! Try reading the book; lots of great advice, but a brutal delivery. Glad article helped. I realized after I wrote that doing a 25-40 min aerobic run (MP+5-10%) can sometimes be helpful if you have some speed burnout; think of it as hitting the opposite point in a star or how you tighten lug nuts. Also, I think the article mentions, but ice baths or cold water on legs (shower, garden hose, or pool running) does wonders.

Ilana ~ Glad to see you racing, even if the numbers are bigger.

Hey Aubuti!

I could just piggy back off of Dad's whole post.  Welcome back Aubuti!  And welcome back to racing, Ilana!  I agree with the statements above about Magness.

RLK - freshening up is very individual.  One way to approach it is what sounds appealing right now.  Not what do you think you SHOULD do.  But zen out and listen to your body.  If you feel sick of running, take some time off.    If strides sound like fun, do strides.

Sorry I'm not more help.

Upper body weights and core and 4 "miles" pool-running.  Used the belt in the pool since I overdid the pool-running yesterday.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Yes, he ran just under 2:51 at Boston, but I don't think he ran London also. As Keen mentioned, he does drop in on the sub 3 forum with that same handle. They didn't mention him for London there. I searched the London results and do see a runner by the same name, but it says he is from Great Britain and ran a 5+ hour marathon. I could be wrong though.

Might have been under someone else's name.  Hah, I just looked up the bib in his FB photo ("with a very last minute bib"), and I'm pretty sure it was originally another ex-RWOL runner's bib (who posts in the sub-3 thread now, so it should be obvious), and I think he took the timing chip off because he has no registered time.  Apparently it was just a fun(!!!) run...  Anyway, if you're reading here I, uh, didn't mean to out your bib-swapping.

Nice race, Brew - bummer about the missed turns.

Hi Aubuti!

Might have been under someone else's name. 

You've got to get up pretty early in the morning to get one by Ilana.

fb-guy

Question for everyone -- I am planning on base building from 50 to 70+ mpw with lots of garbage miles. What is the AHR zone for garbage miles? My wft plan is to not focus on speed, and just run more (and stay healthy).

Thanks!

m: 2:55:04 | 10k: 37:14 | 50mile: 9:35

mattw4jc

Might have been under someone else's name.  Hah, I just looked up the bib in his FB photo ("with a very last minute bib"), and I'm pretty sure it was originally another ex-RWOL runner's bib (who posts in the sub-3 thread now, so it should be obvious), and I think he took the timing chip off because he has no registered time.  Apparently it was just a fun(!!!) run...  Anyway, if you're reading here I, uh, didn't mean to out your bib-swapping.

Ha! You're right. I should have thought to check Strava. That is an impressive turn around less than one week between two fulls.

Arvind Balaraman

My workout last week

Sport Date Title Time Distance Elevation
                                Workout Sun, 4/22/2018 Foam rolling 20:07 0 mi - ft
                                Run Sun, 4/22/2018 RTR umstead recovery 1:26:30 11.00 mi 640 ft
                                Race Sat, 4/21/2018 Tar heel double down race 1:48:32 14.26 mi 879 ft
                                Run Fri, 4/20/2018 2cd 17:13 2.03 mi - ft
                                Workout Fri, 4/20/2018 Strength training 0:28:48 0 mi - ft
                                Workout Thu, 4/19/2018 HIIT 0:31:31 0 mi - ft
                                Run Thu, 4/19/2018 2wp 16:59 2.03 mi - ft
                                Run Thu, 4/19/2018 Easy 4 on the mill 0:34:22 4.33 mi - ft
                                Workout Wed, 4/18/2018 RTR scorching hills 1:08:12 8.05 mi 896 ft
                                Run Tue, 4/17/2018 8 MP new shoes 1:04:44 8.44 mi 371 ft
                                Workout Tue, 4/17/2018 Core workout 0:30:03 0 mi - ft
                                Workout Mon, 4/16/2018 Foam rolling 23:01 0 mi - ft
                                Run Mon, 4/16/2018 Easy 6 for the top American women at Boston 0:53:45 6.30 mi 177 ft
                                  Total     56.4