2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

E11, DWave, & Ace - Congrats on the PR's!

Pesto - Welcome back! How are things going with the new little one?

CDave - Nice week.

Brew - Best of luck working on that 5k speed. How did NeRP do on the walk?

FB - Nice week as well.

Ilana - If you're lurking, how are things going with you?

I managed a decent week. I've been throwing runs in whenever possible to get my miles, from a little before the sun comes up to midnight. I think I'm getting the hang of this whole "father of 3 + being a runner" thing.

The run on Saturday (Saturday & Sunday, technically) was one of those magical "I feel like I can run forever" runs. I'm a little bummed I didn't add on a few more miles just to keep that feeling going.

Weekly Summary
    Monday, Jan 08, 2018 thru Sunday, Jan 14, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
    Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
    Mon 6.3 8:16 4 hawks, 2 drivers texting, and trying out the new 🐇 shorts. 147 (75%) strava
    Tue 7.3 8:26 One pair of glowing eyes hiding in the trees. 146 (74%) strava
    Wed 8.3 8:04 3 hawks, lots of wind, & one incredulous farmer. 153 (78%) strava
    Thu 7.5 8:00 Way too much wind and not enough degrees. Stop! Treadmill time! 140 (71%) strava
    Fri 9.1 7:23 2x 2mi @LT on hills 154 (79%) strava
    Sat 10.3 8:13 Only by the light of the oil rigs. 139 (71%) strava
    Sun 1.6 7:45 Rounding to 50 for the week. 139 (71%) strava
      50.4 7:59

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

rlk ~ Sleep and diet would be the major issues; so it's really how well you think you could control them. That said, go, have a blast, don't stress about it, do your best to sleep and eat well.

E78 ~ Congrats to you too. Another big PR. And bonus points for charity donation.

Pesto ~ New baby and new job is a tough combo; whatever you can do is a plus.

OMR ~ Get better.

FB ~ 50!

What a weekend! From sh*thles to ICBMs  to Vikings walk-off   ; Steve Spence extended his sub 5 streak, Deena Kastor paced OTQ at Houston, Molly sets AR, Korir wins Great Edinburgh XC, and some great races here.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

dad- that is good general advice which i will try to keep in my back pocket! Smile

that said, (my) dad actually accepted our input into which trip date we preferred (late december, as opposed to november). he is softening as he ages! so this question no longer applies, hehe.

a weekly since it's been awhile:
        m- 5.2mi@8:44 in torrential rain
        t- AM 70min lifting, PM 6.6mi ez including 8x uphill strides
        w- off
        th- 8mi including 4x~400m uphill + 3x100m strides
        f- 50min lifting

sa- 10mi ez
        su- 7.4mi ez hilly trails (jim- ran in sibley/huckleberry for the first time! so beautiful!)
        = 37mi and very sore glutes

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

Running Problem

Problem Child

KEEN He seemed to do well until about 15 minutes before we were done. He woke up upset but went back to sleep. Lesson learned: bring a pacifier on all walks. I was just glad the carrier was comfortable. I hadn't used it with him previously. How is DD3?

rlk CIM....HOPEFULLY I don't see you there (back up to Chicago possibly) this year so good luck in advance. I'd take the trip since it's right about taper week so you could get miles in or hike, or both, and just focus on staying healthy. You'd have enough time to get home and adjust to non-vacation life. Glad dad takes CIM as serious as you. Goal? 3:15? BQ as always? Top female? Sage Canaday encounter? Oh I thought you'd be proud to know I'm back up to 10,000 steps per day for the goal. Garmin will adjust it based on the previous few days so I need to take my daily walks along with my runs. I've been getting almost 20K over the past few days.

I'm blaming beer for potentially killing my workout today (5-10x1 minute, 2 minute recovery jog). I'm realizing a sub 20 5K is 6:26 pace. DAMN that's fast. I need to start getting faster. Legs already feel like they're building strength. The last few runs have had the same feeling I had when I did squats and could feel muscles tearing. I considered running on the treadmill but a flat out and back seemed fine. Shut it down after 7 miles and casually jogged to the finish. 53 days (8 weeks) and counting so hopefully it's enough time. The half marathon already has me scared.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

brew- you are too much, haha.
            i definitely don't have any goals yet ... will see where i am with things halfway through the year. but i like your line of thinking :P yeah, it looks like he'll still be chasing his trials standard given how houston went, so maybe there will be another encounter.
            dad certainly doesn't take marathons seriously, but he actually asks me questions about training/racing sometimes now, so at least he isn't totally unsupportive anymore!
            so many #steps! #fitbit #goals #blessed.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

DukeDB

Impressive HM times (and race reports).  Must be good for the confidence to run a fast half in the cold weather, with the whole year ahead.

I'm happy to be off the mill and back on the roads and trails.

Weekly Summary
              Monday, Jan 08, 2018 thru Sunday, Jan 14, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
              Day Miles Pace Description Link
              Mon 3.0 7:47 Street Without Joy 4: Warmup strava
              Tue 6.0 7:29 Street Without Joy 5: 4mi @ 7:00 strava
              Thu 6.1 8:16 VaSq-Key 2: Balmy strava
              Fri 5.0 8:39 Safety: Light rain, easy pace strava
              Sat 17.0 11:13 Winter Trails #7: Swollen streams, sucking mud strava
                37.1 9:31    
              mattw4jc

Very exciting race reports! Congrats on all the PRs and awards!

And I have to brag on my running buddy Tim who doesn't do forums or blogs and such. We have been running and training together for a few years now (7?). He ran Arizona Rock and Roll marathon on Sunday. He set an over 30y.o. PR of 3:06:30. This is quite awesome for any age, but RB Tim is 61 years old! He had a great training cycle and rocked it in Arizona. He was on track for a 3:05ish, but slowed a bit due to some winds in the last 3 miles (similar to Houston I hear). I think he wants to go for that 3:05 next. I have to keep my training up just to keep up with him.

I had a decent week ending with a 12 mile MP run on Sunday. This one was a bit mentally challenging because of the route I chose for myself. I started kind of in the middle of a 4 mile stretch of road and ran North for 2 miles, back South the full 4 miles, back North for 4 and then back 2 to where I started. This meant I passed my start / end / possible bail out point twice. I never stopped, but it was tempting to call 4 miles and 8 miles good enough and go home. Previous MP runs I had simply run out for half and then back so I had no choice but to keep going.

Date Distance Pace Comment  
                 Mon Jan 08    5.07   9:03   Morning Run   strava 
                 Tue Jan 09    12.26   8:45   Watch those icy spots   strava 
                 Wed Jan 10    4.82   8:26   Lunch Run   strava 
                 Thu Jan 11    10.05   8:08   Morning Drizzle   strava 
                 Fri Jan 12    12.13   8:09   OMGoodness 65F & 92% humid! And Nutter Butter cereal?!   strava 
                 Sat Jan 13    7.01   8:17   Morning Run   strava 
                 Sun Jan 14    2.94   8:40   Pre MP warm up   strava 
                 Sun Jan 14    12.01   6:49   Marathon Pace miles   strava 
                 Sun Jan 14    0.86   8:44   Cool down   strava 
                 Summary:  67.15  8:09  Bike commute: 67 miles  

This coming week is a bit of a cut-back week with a bit less than 60 miles scheduled.

Running Problem

Problem Child

brew- you are too much, haha.
                  i definitely don't have any goals yet ... will see where i am with things halfway through the year. but i like your line of thinking :P yeah, it looks like he'll still be chasing his trials standard given how houston went, so maybe there will be another encounter.
                  dad certainly doesn't take marathons seriously, but he actually asks me questions about training/racing sometimes now, so at least he isn't totally unsupportive anymore!
                  so many #steps! #fitbit #goals #blessed.

I was thinking about you when I got all my steps in for the day before lunch.

I saw his social media post about being 2 seconds per mile behind pace. That's so rough. I also noticed he mentioned how changing from trail to road takes more than he did. It was the same story when he tried for the OTQ four years ago and he missed it at CIM only then it was "well I ran too many races" causing him to miss it by a little. I feel for the guy but at some point I just want to say "you're being a millennial. You're giving out all this advice but you're not taking a good honest look at your past and your training." Maybe it's the dad in me wanting to tell him "hey, remember last time when you said____?" because he seems to be heading down the same road. Plus you'll always have C money.

matt wow...60 mile weeks. I remember those days a little bit. I think all I did was run at that point. Good jof on your friend busting out an awesome time. Unfortunate for slow pokes such as myself he's making it really hard to get into the 4/20/20 marathon. I'm just jealous because he almost BQ'd at the requirement of an 18 year old.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - DD3 is doing well and is finally over birth weight. I'm still not sure what color her eyes are going to be. What carrier did you use?

Matt - Your RB is seriously fast by most any standard, even before considering age. Hopefully I'll get there one of these days. Great week, too!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

pepperjack

pie man

My BQ was less than a second per mile under the eventual pace.  I try not to think about it, but I think the fear of being caught by the 3:10 pace group was the only thing keeping me going (and thinking about people following along with my splits, I honestly believe that helped).

I went off the grid after letting Kali go on Friday.  Ran with friends for a fun 'race' Saturday morning on trails.  Then got in the car and drove to Asheville.  Did trails on Sunday (somewhere between run and hike) and again on Monday.  40 miles for the week if you don't count Sunday, 50 miles if you do.  Monday was in the roan highlands up from 5500.  Pretty spectacular in winter with the snow.  Help take my mind off things.

They brew a bit of beer in Asheville.  I pity anyone that needs something car-related done--every garage and service station has been turned into a brewery...

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Elizabeth78

Recovery Phenom

Hi guys - some great weeks and races out there - Congrats to E78 and Ace.  Sorry for the drive-by, but I had to go on a work trip directly from Houston. I'm in Tampa, on leg two of what I've entitled "the Fall 2017 Hurricane tour".  I won't be responding much over the next few days.

We are freakishly similar. I went directly from Houston to Las Vegas for a work trip. And given the Vegas shootings, I could call this my "Fall 2017 tragedy" tour.

26.2 x 31 (3:15:34 PR)

13.1 x 35 (1:30:58 PR)

Author of the book Boston Bound

A 3:20 Slowpoke

Am I crazy for considering the Barstow 5K the Saturday before the slightly longer race on Monday in April?

PR's   5k - 20:39 (2014).  10k - 42:04 (2014)   13.1 - 1:30:30 (2014)   26.2 - 3:14:21 2017)

Upcoming Races  -   Boston Marathon 4/18

dad- that is good general advice which i will try to keep in my back pocket! Smile

My older son ("C") is currently in Thailand w/ his GF, so my perspective on the value of travel is fresh.

CDave ~ No. If weather is crappy (most likely), you can get something out of weekend. If weather turns out awesome (ha!), you can do a fun fun. Plus it's a nice shirt.

Houston ladies ~ Did you notice much damage?

OMR

Eliz & Dwave:  Enjoyed both of your RRs.  Eliz, I can't help but wonder what that non-marathon-related nightmare was all about.  Dwave, I appreciate your "other notes."  Impressive on both counts.

Ace:  I think i missed your 1:25 half.  Awesome, congrats!

FB:  "feed the brain."  Yep.  Do you attribute your paces to figuring out the Celiac's issue?

Dad:  Thanks...nice summary of the weekend.

matt:  Wow, that's impressive...congrats to Tim!  Oh, and nice week!

PJ:  Sorry to hear/read about Kali.

60 minutes on the elliptical for me today.  My feet were cold, and eventually went numb.  That was weird.

mattw4jc

Good jof on your friend busting out an awesome time. Unfortunate for slow pokes such as myself he's making it really hard to get into the 4/20/20 marathon. I'm just jealous because he almost BQ'd at the requirement of an 18 year old.

Yes, his BQ cushion is ridiculous. But don't worry, he's not looking to go there again anytime soon. We went together last April. He ran a 3:11 there and got in the top 10 for his age group.