Garmin 405cx quit taking a charge (Read 51 times)

No Talent Drips

This has been a tank of a watch for me...but has just stopped re-charging. Any tips to resurrect this thing? Other advice?

Thanks...people.

Dei Gratia

jpdeaux

I've sometimes taken a pencil eraser to all of the exposed copper contacts on the watch and the charger. Look for dark spots on the copper and try to clean them off. That has helped me. A Q-tip dipped in isopropyl alcohol has been suggested as well, but I haven't tried that.

mta: Mine's a 405. Not sure if there's a difference in the contacts.

beat

Break on through

On my 410 (same charging clip as the 405, I think), there came a time when the clip would need to be wiggled around to get a good connection so it could start charging. It continued to deteriorate until even cleaning the contacts wouldn't get it to connect anymore.  I replaced the charging clip and USB cable with a spare that I had from a previous watch, and it is charging with no problems again.

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

Wing

Joggaholic

In addition to what jpdeaux and beat have already mentioned, I have a rubber band wrapped around the charging clip to ensure good contact when it is clipped onto the watch.

No Talent Drips

Thank you for the suggestions. Tried it all...I think that the watch has just plain died. 5 years, lots of weather, and decent mileage. A good run for that watch. Now, for a Mendeldave-esque poll on what watch to get to replace it...

Dei Gratia

Joann Y

Now, for a Mendeldave-esque poll on what watch to get to replace it...

Oof. At least have the common decency to tell us which watch you choose if you are going to subject us to a poll.

Wing

Joggaholic

Thank you for the suggestions. Tried it all...I think that the watch has just plain died. 5 years, lots of weather, and decent mileage. A good run for that watch. Now, for a Mendeldave-esque poll on what watch to get to replace it...

That's pretty good, my 405 lasted only 2 years before the battery died

runmichigan

If you are satisfied with your watch and do not want to upgrade, Garmin does have an out of warranty repair program.  You prepay for the repair (405 is $79, 405CX is $110) and they provide you a RMA.  If they can repair it they will return it to you with a 90 day warranty.  If they cannot repair it, they will send you a manufacturer refurbished one of the same model.  I did this with my 405, but recently upgraded to a 610.  Of course, it may not be worth it depending on your model.

The link for information on out of warranty support is:  http://www8.garmin.com/support/outofwarranty.html