I DID IT!!! (Read 1004 times)

Think Whirled Peas

I started running because I needed a change of pace from working out indoors all the time. But the story doesn't really start there...allow me to back up a bit: In January of 2007 I weighed over 300 lbs. (303 to be exact), my food choices were terrible, I smoked a pack a day and sat in front of a computer 10-12 hrs/day. I was killing myself slowly, and if I continued down this path, it wasn't going to be all that slow. I didn't realize it at the time, but my bad habits were really just me being selfish and lazy. I needed to change so that I could be more of a positive influence on my family, not to mention needing to BE AROUND for them while they grow up. Our office moved locations on January 18-19 and the new place has a no smoking campus...so in order to smoke I would have had to go not just outside, but walk 1/4 mile away just to smoke...in January...in Michigan...so I thought maybe it would be a good time to quit. Well, in order to help me not want to smoke, I started working out on our (basically brand new, and 3 yr. old) elliptical machine. The original goal was 3 times a week, for 20-30 minutes. That lasted exactly one week because I got hooked. We added a small weight bench and free weights in the basement of our new office so I started lifting 2-3 days a week at lunch as well. I really enjoyed how good I felt after working out and it motivated me to start doing a better job w/my eating habits. A friend of mine clued me into a website, Sparkpeople.com, months before and I started to weigh, track, and monitor EVERYTHING I ate. That site really helped me change my life. Fast forward to April of 2007 and I was starting to see some real results. I was down to 270 lbs, and hadn't had a cigarette the whole time. The problem was that I started getting bored w/the elliptical machine and needed to try something else. A friend at work (who had previously lost over 100 lbs.) was into running and said he'd run w/me at lunch if I wanted to give it a try. The first time out, even after working out consistently 4-5 days a week on the elliptical machine, I only made it about 5 minutes before I had to walk. It hurt. It was exhausting. I was completely crushed at how bad I did. Then I got mad. I was angry that I allowed myself to be in such poor health that even after a solid 3 months of working out I was still too out of shape to run so much as ONE MILE. For someone who used to enjoy playing any/all sports, this realization was VERY humbling. It was also exactly what I needed to get that last bit of motivation to see this thing through. I officially hit to my goal weight of 220 lbs. today!!!! I got on the scale this morning and it actually read 218. I almost passed out. The plan was to hit 220 by mid-November and I beat that by two full months. I'm really excited, and proud of what I've accomplished so far. I am now setting a new weight goal to something closer to 195-200, though I won't be putting a time frame on it. I'll get there when I get there. I've come so far, and am honestly looking forward to what I can do in the future now. I ran my first 5k in May and have registered for the Detroit HM in October. My longest run to date is 10.5 miles, and I've got a 13 miler scheduled for this weekend. I have a long way to go, both literally and figuratively, but what running has done for me is provide me the mechanism that I can use to get me to where I want to be. Sorry to brag on myself, but HEY, I lost 85 FREAKIN' POUNDS this year!

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Lazy idiot

Dude... that is amazing! Congratulations, and way to stick with it. Keep on truckin'!!!

Tick tock

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Sorry to brag on myself, but HEY, I lost 85 FREAKIN' POUNDS this year!
        Brag away, man--that is awesome! Hey, wanna do the Grand Rapids Marathon next year? At least 2 of us here are planning for GR to be our first full marathon in '08. I am doing a HM tomorrow, then the GR half in 5 weeks. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Thats incredible! You have every right to brag.. congrats on your progress so far

Cryptic

You are a machine. Congrats on reaching your goal. I am most impressed by your mental strength. Tons of people would have just given up and instead you got mad. That motivates me thanks for sharing.
              Way to go! I am so happy that someone introduced you to Sparkpeople. I lost 65 pounds following their advice a couple of years ago. Reading your post is like looking in the mirror except it appears you had more stick to it than I did. All I can say is keep up the great work.

My sport's your sport's punishment

2012 goals

100 Km month         150 K month      200K month

5K run    10K run     20K run              30K run

sub 30 min 5K         sub 55min 10K

Nice work, and great story. Starting a new exercise program, especially for somebody who hasn't been working out regularly, is probably the best way to get off of cigarettes. You are just replacing one addiction with another, but man is it such a great swap!

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

"Damn, Dude!" Cool 85 lbs is like loosing a child.... weight-wise! Tongue Congrats and thanks for telling your story.

Vim

btb1490

I admire your determination! Congratulations on your great success! Keep it going!
                    va

PoQ, Great work, and congratulations!!! I can really relate to many of the things you've experienced. Thanks for sharing your story with us!

Marathonmanleto

good job. Keep it up! It's a way of life.

madness baby

What a great story. Thanks for sharing. I used sparkpeople for a while, too, and it really is a great site. CONGRATULATIONS POWER!!! Big grin
                          deb
                            Awesome!! Dedication paying off, how great is that!?! Smile

Michelle

You can't see a thread like this and not smile. Absolutely outstanding results so far,if you keep up the running I have no doubt you'll hit your goal. Congrats!

E.J.
                              Greater Lowell Road Runners
                              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

2008 Philly Trifecta

AWESOME JOB!!! Wink Posts like this are what gave me the encouragement to even start running, geting my diet in check, and tracking it here on RA! In June, 07 I could barely run a mile without stopping. Weighed 242lbs... Today, up to an 8mi long run, down alomost 20lbs and running a 1/2 marathon in Nov It was posts like this that motivated me to take that first step! CONGRATULATIONS!!! Dave

***Check out my site: where I've been, and where I'm going @ releasetherunner.blogspot.com
                                2008 Philly Trifecta:
                                10 Mile Broad St Run-5/4
                                Philly Distance Run HM-9/21
                                Philly Marathon-11/23
                                "A goal not written down is only a dream...!"