Bet Boston Marathon will be cancelled this year (Read 174 times)

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

$5

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Cool.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Why would that be. Have I missed something?

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

joescott

Define "cancelled".  Tokyo was effectively cancelled for 27.000 hobbyjoggers, but they still held the elite races.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I'll take your $5. I'm betting it won't be canceled. Tokyo wasn't even canceled and I think the Covid-19 outbreak kind of started around that area of the world.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Why would that be. Have I missed something?

They ran out of jackets. How will people be able to show off what an amazing runner they are in the future to other runners at other races?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Weatherboy just posted an article they are thinking of just postponing until September. Hard pass, not running in that weather.

I think the over/under for cancellation is May 1st.

Anything after May 1st will probably still go on.

I have no idea when Boston is run; but I guess I could look it up.

My logic? By May the virus will have run it's course, reports of new infections will have bottomed out, people will feel safe to peek their heads out of their bunkers. This info from reading CDC, WHO and other reports on this virus. Could be wrong, maybe it isn't affected by warmer weather so much. That's why it's a gamble.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Weatherboy just posted an article they are thinking of just postponing until September. Hard pass, not running in that weather.

IK,R? The weather on the usual date is always perfect.

Dave

mikeymike

Patriots Day: the 3rd Monday in April.

The New Bedford Half Marathon this weekend, which is the New England championships, generally marks the start of spring road racing season, and is the marquis tune-up race for New Englanders training for Boston, is cancelled.

And the BAA has been putting out "we're monitoring the situation closely in partnership with the cities and towns" type messages that sound like they're prepping us for bad news.

It doesn't look great.

Runners run

kcam

I would normally agree with you, Bill, but in my neck of the woods they just cancelled a first-week-of-May race that I'd planned on running.  Purportedly because the county it's in has banned gatherings of 50+ people so they would not get the permits they need to hold the race.  I guess without being able to plan properly they just decided to can it this year.  They are NOT an international destination race (like Boston) so the Boston calculus will be different.  I also believe that by May this thing will have run it's course but I only base that on what I know about the regular seasonal flu.

MTA:  Mikey, the race I mentioned above is on the USATF-PA Road GP circuit so kind of a big deal to us.  The Oakland Marathon and Team Relay has also been canceled (the Team Relay is also a Pacific Association GP race).

mikeymike

IK,R? The weather on the usual date is always perfect.

100%. And I'm always much better prepared for a warm day in September than in April.

Runners run

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

My logic? By May the virus will have run it's course, reports of new infections will have bottomed out, people will feel safe to peek their heads out of their bunkers. This info from reading CDC, WHO and other reports on this virus. Could be wrong, maybe it isn't affected by warmer weather so much. That's why it's a gamble.

Yeah, I’m sure you’re right.  They hope to have a vaccine for the virus in 12 months time. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

mikeymike

I mean the NBA season is cancelled, so, yeah.

Runners run

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

They ran out of jackets. How will people be able to show off what an amazing runner they are in the future to other runners at other races?

I couldn’t care less.  BUT, they’d better not run out of the 2021 jackets.