Bet Boston Marathon will be cancelled this year (Read 174 times)

joescott

I think the main concern for most of us hobbyjoggers is whether it will be cancelled for us hobbyjoggers. So yes Tokyo was cancelled.

First of all, you don't have to underline hobbyjoggers to me because I was one of them who was cancelled out of the Tokyo race, so yeah, I 100% get it from that angle.  I was all trained up and tapered and as ready to go as I could be.  It was going to be my first marathon outside the US.  Now, I've had to marathon train another month with my eye towards the Hogeye as a replacement.  Still, the Tokyo race was not cancelled.  I was just not fast enough to participate.

I wouldn't be surprised if something similar happened with Boston, and since we are taking highly valuable virtual wagers on the subject I though perhaps I should ask to clarify.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

So, it's almost official:

BOSTON (CBS) – The Boston Marathon won’t be run Monday April 20 as planned and it could be rescheduled to the fall because of concerns about the coronavirus pandemic, WBZ-TV has learned.

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/03/12/coronavirus-boston-marathon-postponed-rescheduled-possibility-september-mayor-marty-walsh-covid-19/

Running Problem

Problem Child

I guess the 2020 jackets just became more valuable. If the race doesn't happen Maybe they'll sell for $300 used on craigslist in a few years.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

pepperjack

pie man

On the upside, 2021 is probably going to be (comparatively) easier to get in.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

On the upside, 2021 is probably going to be (comparatively) easier to get in.

Somebody sees the upside in all of this.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Christirei

as someone who is seriously gunning to run Boston in 2021....if it is cancelled, how does it work that it might be easier to get in ? i feel like with deferments it will be harder to get in....

pepperjack

pie man

(Presuming it is run later this year and not cancelled outright)

The race with the largest total number of qualifying times is Boston.

1. Boston Marathon (4/15/19 - Boston, MA) 26,632 8,878
                2. Chicago Marathon (10/13/19 - Chicago, IL) 45,956 5,785
                3. New York City Marathon (11/3/19 - New York City, NY) 53,508 4,938
                4. California International Marathon (12/8/19 - Sacramento, CA) 7,504 2,183
                5. Philadelphia Marathon (11/24/19 - Philadelphia, PA) 10,041 1,149
                6. Grandma's Marathon (6/22/19 - Duluth, MN) 6,356 1,072

Although, maybe that's why they are having it in September?  Last chance qualifier for Boston will be...Boston.

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Resident Historian

Move the State holiday too, or create a new holiday. Marathon Monday.

A potential reschedule date that seems to be getting a lot of attention is Oct. 12 -- Columbus Day -- which needs a new name anyway.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

A potential reschedule date that seems to be getting a lot of attention is Oct. 12 -- Columbus Day -- which needs a new name anyway.

Which would be the day after the Chicago Marathon.  Anyone up for both?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Now just tell me the stock market will have recovered all its value by May 1st, and I’ll sleep soundly tonight.

I wish I was wealthy enough to be a beneficiary of the stock market. But congrats for being in the top 10%! I haven't had any stocks since about 2005.

It will be a very long slog for the stock market to get back to it's previous artificially inflated bull market value, if ever. However, for smart people, this is a great time to buy in. Actually, it will continue to drop until virus is flatlined in both China and USA. THEN it's time to buy in.

The real damage of COVID-19 will be global economy, not health. I think we'll see a lot of poverty for a while. A global recession.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

delicate flower

My takeaway here is that in all likelihood, Toronto will owe Brewing Runner $5.

<3

Half Crazy K 2.0

I wish I was wealthy enough to be a beneficiary of the stock market. But congrats for being in the top 10%! I haven't had any stocks since about 2005.

It will be a very long slog for the stock market to get back to it's previous artificially inflated bull market value, if ever. However, for smart people, this is a great time to buy in. Actually, it will continue to drop until virus is flatlined in both China and USA. THEN it's time to buy in.

The real damage of COVID-19 will be global economy, not health. I think we'll see a lot of poverty for a while. A global recession.

For runners, take the money you would have spent on taxes fees and invest it. Won't get rich enough to ret8, but may make something.

joescott

Who would want to own/wear it if you didn't run it?

I guess the 2020 jackets just became more valuable. If the race doesn't happen Maybe they'll sell for $300 used on craigslist in a few years.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

delicate flower

Rescheduled to Sept 14, and that works just fine for me.  Now I'll focus my attention on my backup race, New Jersey, on April 26 and hope that one isn't cancelled too.

My last marathon was 80 degrees in Florida in November and I BQ'd.  I'll gladly roll my dice with Boston weather in September.

ETA:  I predict a 45 degree day with a pleasant westerly wind in Boston on April 20.

<3

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Rescheduled to Sept 14, and that works just fine for me.  Now I'll focus my attention on my backup race, New Jersey, on April 26 and hope that one isn't cancelled too.

NJ Marathon definitely getting cancelled. I signed up for it as a backup too, but NJ already banned groups of larger than 250 for the next month. So unless this virus magically disappears, NJ won't be run either.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19)