High Metabolism (Read 488 times)

I've always been a skinny guy. My girlfriend claims that she eats the same amount if not less than what I eat, but she is not nearly as skinny as I am. We were talking about metabolic rates, and she mentioned that she read somewhere that the whole "high/low" metabolism idea may actually be a myth. She said that it may just come down to how active you are (even when it comes to simple household tasks). I've tried to research this myself, but everything I've found online so far has been very poorly written. There seems to be some conflicting views, and I don't really know what is a legitimate source. I was wondering if any of you had any ideas on the subject? Any good references?
    2010 Goals: Run 1500 miles Sub 22 minute 5K Sub 37 minute 8K Sub 1:45 HM Complete a marathon

A Saucy Wench

What I have found that in general is agreed upon Body composition has a high impact on "metabolic rate" Men will usually have a higher metabolic rate than women, even at the same height and weight because they in general will have more muscle which is metabolically active. If two people are 5'6" and both weigh 140 but one is 20% bf and one is 10% bf, the leaner one will have a higher metabolism The occasionally agreed upon stuff: Some people have a percieved higher metabolism because they fidget or in general are more baseline active. Foot tapping, sitting upright engaging core, pacing, etc. The intensity of exercise will affect temporarily the metabolic rate for a period of time following exercise The stuff that people will debate mightily : Hormone levels affect metabolism Insulin sensitivity will affect metabolism Frequency/timing of meals will affect metabolism Your metabolism may change over time through fitness changes other than muscle mass Formerly obese but now thin people will have a significantly lower metabolism than never obese people

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Just Be

Wikipedia's article on Basal Metabolic Rate seemed to be pretty accurate when I skimmed it about 5 minutes ago for you. I'd never consider wikipedia a legitimate source, though - but the article looks good in this case and is very informative.