*UPDATE* cute puppy vs Garmin 305 (the picture) (Read 1284 times)

MTA: I finally got around to dealing with this today. I called Garmin and talked to a really nice guy. Now, the guy on my blog said they refurbished his and charged him a little over $100. So I think, fine, I'm ok with that. The guy on the phone says, "a straight repair fee is $100 but I'm going to go ahead and give you 1/2 off that and only charge you $50. " Then near the end of the conversation he says, "It will take 10days to process and considering the condition you described, they will most likely replace the unit. " **************************************************************************** yes, I used the search feature first. Roll eyes Boston chewed up and destroyed my 305 early this morning. Angry now I'm in the market for a new one. I've been reading reviews and the most common complaint is that it freezes when it's wet...wet with sweat. um. Shocked Confused this just won't do! I can't recall a single run this summer, where I haven't had sweat running down my arms. Anyone else have this problem with the 405? I'm thinking for this reason alone, I should stick with the 305. Thanks to a complete stranger who commented on my blog, I have learned that Garmin refurbishes puppy chewed Garmins AND even though I can't read the window, it could possibly still record my run. It uploads to my computer still so tomorrow I will see if it works on my run... oh. FREE TO AN OK HOME: 8mo Golden Retriever who looks deceivingly sweet.

Jennifer mm#1231

Imminent Catastrophe

I've heard this complaint. Personally, I've had a couple of times when it froze temporarily, but it wasn't related to whether it was wet--it happened when wet and dry. Bottom line--there are some issues with the 405 bezel but they are not so bad that I can't live with it. The latest firmware update seems to have fixed most of these problems but if you absolutely can't live with the possibility of a occasional problem, get the 305. When it froze on me during a run, I could not change the display. The watch kept going and no data was lost, it just would not change the display during the run. All the data was still there, so it's an annoyance that you may or may not want to deal with. Or you may want to wait a while to see if they issue an upgrade.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I've had a few hiccups with the 305 but nothing I couldn't live with so your explaination makes it seem more reasonable than some of the reviews. thank you!

Jennifer mm#1231

jwhpa

I have used a 405 for a month or so, and it truly is finicky. If the bezel is wet, it will go nuts. I thought at first mine was defective, but I have learned how to use it with some compromise. Essentially, think very carefully about the screens you need for your workouts and set them appropriately. For instance, I have a screen for intervals, tempo, and anything that involves laps. I also have an Overdistance screen. I, frankly, tend to use these screens most often. To avoid the wet bezel frustration, I pick the appropriate screen and then turn the bezel off. Of course the compromise is that you cannot switch between screens without turning the bezel back on. It does have a function that automatically cycles thru the screens, but I haven't tried it or felt the need to. Overall, I'm completely satisified with the 405 and would recommend it, but be aware it has some quirks that you will need to learn to work around. I'm waiting for Garmin to release the Mac software to try the download feature. Although, I really enjoy feeding the data in to my RA log.

Former runner

I don't have any problems with sweat and my 405. A hard downpour is the only thing that will interfere with the bezel. But like the others said you just need to lock it out and set it to auto scroll through the screens. Wearing long sleeves also calls for locking the bezel. It's not a big problem for me since I have my screens set to auto scroll and I usually have no reason to use the bezel while running.

Ross

What everyone else said - bezel didn't work in rain - it's not a big deal to lock and unlock the bezel. I had a bit of a learning curve with that scrolling thing, but now I really like the 405. Best part for me is that with my small wrist, the shape and size are a lot more comfortable than the 305.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
              Thyroid Support Group

I came here looking for a picture of the cute puppy. Cry

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

I guess that was misleading...he was cute when we brought him home...all fluffy and innocent eyed. Now he's a huge 80lb beast of destruction. I took the boys surfing this afternoon and when I got back, he had somehow gotten inside, spread the contents of the trash can over 3 rooms, broke a plate, spilled a cup of water on the counter, and survived gobbling down the chicken carcass. I'm more pissed off at the first 3 Golden retrievers we had for lulling me into a false sense of complacency. Angry

Jennifer mm#1231

The great irony of big dogs: they can still have puppy brains even when their bodies catch up with their big puppy paws. Big grin

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I guess that was misleading...he was cute when we brought him home...all fluffy and innocent eyed. Now he's a huge 80lb beast of destruction. I took the boys surfing this afternoon and when I got back, he had somehow gotten inside, spread the contents of the trash can over 3 rooms, broke a plate, spilled a cup of water on the counter, and survived gobbling down the chicken carcass. I'm more pissed off at the first 3 Golden retrievers we had for lulling me into a false sense of complacency. Angry
                      WOW. You have to give your dog credit, he was quite complete in his destruction.

TRUST THE PROCESS

an amazing likeness

That'll buff right out, no problem... Where's the cute puppy photos ?

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

BostonRnr

Sorry about all your troubles, but you owe us a puppy picture Cool
                            Where's the cute puppy photos ?
                            Sorry about all your troubles, but you owe us a puppy picture Cool
                            The people have spoken!

Agree with the other comments on moisture... when very wet, the bezel freaks out. That being said, I live in a high moisture area and I've had the problem on only 2 runs. Like others - I'm a "one screen runner," so it's not a big deal at all. To me, the biggest negative of the 405 is the Garmin software. It's slow and quirky. I don't like it at all.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

Looks like a warranty issue to me. just sayin.......