tracking walking? (Read 70 times)

Dream Maker

Okay since I started tracking this year I've been recording walking.  I never did in the past, but at first it was all I could do after my c-section and then I knew my fitness was still low enough that the walking or the run/walk with my daughter could have an impact on my other workouts.  

Now, my fitness is improving bit by bit to at least the point I'm not sure whether to include it or not.  But I will continue to walk or run-walk a fair amount, and it is motivating to get out there and walk even when my body doesn't feel like a run adding it to my miles... but I know it is not near as helpful as running those miles, especially since when I walk with my daughter it's like an 18 minute mile, not exactly speed walking.  I'm not sure whether it is relevant to how I feel or to troubleshoot post race, which is the purpose of the log.

SO, do you track walking? Why or why not?

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I track my steps on FitBit.  If I do a true run/walk (as much or more running than walking), I log the whole thing as a run on RA.  If I walk more than I run, I don't log it on RA at all.

I like FitBit because I can compare myself to other people and it's motivating.  HStreet is an animal, she gets so many steps in every day!  Smile

Prince of Fatness

With the hip issues that I've had over the past several years I have been taking measures to avoid sitting (I've been a desk jockey for 30 plus years and feel that all of that sitting contributed to my issues).  Anyway I've been walking a half hour during my lunch hours at work.  That's a half hour that I'm not sitting and it burns a few calories.  I log it, but just the time because that's all I'm really interested in.  I set up a separate category for walking in my log.  I just ran a report for the fun of it and over the last 52 weeks I've walked for 100 hours and 15 minutes.

If you think that you will be interested in having the data I would log the walks.

Not at it at all. 

GinnyinPA

We have a dog that we walk every day for 2-3 miles, plus hikes and the occasional backpacking trip.  I have a goal of walking 1000 miles a year, which I usually meet easily.  I like keeping track. I also run and I track that separately. The walking helps loosen me up before and after runs and I enjoy it in it's own right.