Lost in the injury cycle... (Read 678 times)

Now that was a bath...

Nuff said? Spent ten minutes sobbing my sweaty heart out on the doorstep this morning. When will I get to run again properly?
  • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
  • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
      ((((Claire)))) I am so sorry that you are still struggling.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
      Thyroid Support Group

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Awww...girl, I'm so sorry. Is it still the same issue? It's not fair. Is your current doc giving you any answers? k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I can't believe it's gone on this long. Is it possible to see a different doctor?

Michelle

btb1490

Being injured is no fun. I'm not sure what injury you have, but have you taken any time off? I mean REALLY taken any time off, to let this thing heal? If you've been trying to run through this, obviously it isn't working, so doesn't it make sense to try a different approach? You seem to be passionate about your running, how about becoming passionate about doing something else that doesn't aggrivate your injury to give it time to heal. In the end, if it means you can go out and run again without those worries of "will my injury bother me today?", won't taking a few weeks off be worth it? What is a few weeks off in the scheme of things? Don't you hope to still be running for a long time? Yeah, those first few days and weeks of not running are tough, but once you get over that hump, it's not so bad, as long as you can find something else to focus on that'll keep you in shape. Good luck!
              (((((((((HUGE HUGS))))))))))))))))) wish there was something I could say or do to make it go away Sad Thinking of you Claire!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Finished!

Sad Claire, I'm right there with you - I continue to hope for the day when all the foot/leg pain is resolved!
                Walk + Jog = wog.
                I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
                I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
                  Sorry to hear things are no better Claire Sad

Now that was a bath...

Thanks for the sympathy everyone. I have no idea at all how I can move forward from this point.
                    Being injured is no fun. I'm not sure what injury you have, but have you taken any time off? I mean REALLY taken any time off, to let this thing heal? In the end, if it means you can go out and run again without those worries of "will my injury bother me today?", won't taking a few weeks off be worth it? What is a few weeks off in the scheme of things? Don't you hope to still be running for a long time? !
                    I wish that were the answer! I had a stress fracture but seem to also now be suffering with other pains and issues. I've been injured since January and had two months with no running at all and physio every other day. I resumed and had issues, stopped again for several weeks then started back with a program where I began at just one mile and gradually increased to where I am now. I am still unable to run properly though. I purchased orthotics but they are making me hurt more. I have a podiatrist, two sports physiotherapists, a sports shoe analyst and I am running slowly, flat, infrequently and short distances in an attempt to heal this thing. Thus the post. It seems all the good advice in the world from all the experts (and friends) in the world isn't helping me at the moment! Sadly patience isn't always the answer. I am two inches from throwing those orthotics in the bin. My ankles feel like they have been kicked, my right tibia aches, my tendons are tight and my knees hurt. Amusingly the only time that I don't hurt is when I run. Claire xxx
                    btb1490

It sounds like you are being well looked after! That's quite a team you have! Not sure what kind of sfx you had, but people I know who have had them said it's take up to a year afterwards to feel normal again. Has any of your medical staff mentioned adhesions to you? Thats where tissue actually adheres itself to the sfx site during the healing process. Do you have a good deep tissue massage person available? Are you sure the sfx has healed? Don't give up. The fight is worth it.

Now that was a bath...

That's an interesting point Bob. Well two of them actually. Firstly, no, I am not entirely sure that the injury has healed and I think that I need to look deeper into that. Secondly, you mention tissue adherence, and for some reason that seems to make perfect sense as to some of what I am feeling. Before the orthotics came into play the only pain that I had was an intense tight, sharp feeling at the site of the injury and I have been able to manage the pain by lots of massage to the area both before and after each run. I also have to stretch LOTS and the area feels incredibly tight all the time. This led me to believe that it must be muscular and not bone related. You can't massage and stretch out bone pain, right? I seem to be able to get up to 3 miles without problem as long as I don't run two consecutive days in a row and I keep it flat & slow (I estimate that I am running about 9:50 miles at the moment). Now I admit I was stupid with the orthotics as my podiatrist reckons I don't need them. So, I purchased my own and had my running video analyzed before and after insertion and they seemed to show an improvement in the very slight pronation in my right leg. I have no idea if this amount of pain is normal when breaking in orthotics but I am concerned now as I don't only have new pain but the old pain seems worse. I am fortunately tenacious and refuse to give up running, no matter what it takes. So what will it take? Well, getting off the computer right now and phoning up my Sports Physio who I have not visited in months would be a good start. I need to get that bone checked out for starters and I also need a bloody good massage. Then I probably need to take a deep breath and not run for a few days to shake off this tightness and pain. By the way, thanks for the advice. It is very appreciated. This girl is desperate (you can ask the others, they will verify this) and I will do anything (again, the others can verify this) Tongue. Woodlandsprite - if I find any magic healing dust I will definitely send some your way. Claire xxx

Now that was a bath...

OK I have arranged a review appointment at my physio in two days. I am going to see a new physio as she said they have a new athletics guy there and she thinks he might be able to help. Fingers crossed huh! Claire xxx
                            Myofascial Release fingers crossed!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                            Thyroid Support Group

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

OK I have arranged a review appointment at my physio in two days. I am going to see a new physio as she said they have a new athletics guy there and she thinks he might be able to help. Fingers crossed huh! Claire xxx
                              I will keep mine crossed, too! Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

btb1490

Myofascial Release
                                Now we're talkin'! Yes, fingers are crossed. Good luck.