Shoes wearing out way to soon. (Read 233 times)

Hey guys, I have been running about 18 months taking a few months ths past summer off due to knee pain.

My problem is I have gone thru three pairs of shoes in this time span. My first pair were Brooks GTS12 which I got 290 miles on. Bought the GTS 13 after the knee pain........the GTS 13's got about 235 miles before retiring them. Both pairs getting worn out in the outside heel rather dramtically. I'm 6'1" 195 lbs I was 242 lbs when I started in 2012.

i really didn't notice the wear in the first pair until the GTS 13 started wearing out. So I went to the LRS to talk about this wear and asked for something a bit more durable.......what I ended up with was New Balance 860 V3. Noticing again wear on out in the outside of both heels after only 150 miles........this is getting expensive. I'm hesitant to keep runrning with shoes wearing like this in fear of injuring myself.

is it because I'm a bigger guy and a heal striker? Does anyone have a recommendation ? I'd really apprciate any help given.

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott

rhammett

I think part of the early wear is that you're a bigger guy.  If you're a heavy heel striker, you could try a shoe like the Saucony Guide that has a slightly smaller heel-to-toe drop of 8mm vs. the NB 860 and Brooks Adrenaline.  I'm certainly not an expert, but know that switching to a shoe with a lower heel drop helped me with early wear on my shoes.  It also helped lessen the impact on my lower body joints too since I have started to land more toward the mid-foot vs. my heel.

These are just my thoughts, but you can always check with your local running store to get there thoughts and try out some alternative shoes.

Good luck!

NHLA

Try the Hoka   getting 500+miles.

What criteria do you use to determine when it's time to replace a running shoe?

Here is an Adrenaline GTS13, I recently retired after 506 miles. (I weigh 170, fwiw.) The worn area on the right is the outside right heel. Does yours look worse than this? I would think you're not supposed to be seeing this much of the blue midsole material, but it never caused me any problems. I think this is a commonly worn area, I get it on all my shoes. I never really look at wear, I just routinely replace after about 500 miles. I'm not saying this is the right thing to do, but I wonder if you are over-concerned about how it looks.

Dave

an amazing likeness

I transitioned to New Balance shoes about 18 months ago. My experience has been I get about 50% (1/2) the mileage from the NB than I did from the Asics model I used previously. I will be moving on from NB to something else soon.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

What criteria do you use to determine when it's time to replace a running shoe?

Here is an Adrenaline GTS13, I recently retired after 506 miles. (I weigh 170, fwiw.) The worn area on the right is the outside right heel. Does yours look worse than this? I would think you're not supposed to be seeing this much of the blue midsole material, but it never caused me any problems. I think this is a commonly worn area, I get it on all my shoes. I never really look at wear, I just routinely replace after about 500 miles. I'm not saying this is the right thing to do, but I wonder if you are over-concerned about how it looks.

Dave, mine are close to how yours look. Its not how they look that bother me. It's the thought that my soreness in the knees are a result of the premature wear.

First Race

Second Race

Scott

A Saucy Wench

some people just wear through shoes faster than others...and yes, it is something that as a bigger guy you might just have to live with.   Also when I had several YEARS of consistent training then my mileage went up.

Shoes are cheaper than knees.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I also used to wear out shoes in ~250 miles. Was a heel lander landing more heavily on right foot because of injuries to left leg. The outside rear corner would wear thru and look like someone cut it with a knife. I managed to change that by changing my form by going more minimal and sometimes barefoot to learn mid foot landing. Did it gradually to avoid injury. A little over a year ago I discovered the Sketcher series of shoes and have been running in Bionics which are zero heal drop, and Go Run Speed (Meb) which are 4mm heal drop. Have just passed 400mi in first pair of Bionics and they are showing even wear, but heavier on right foot as I would suspect. The Meb's show more right heal wear which leads me to believe that the higher heal drop allows the heal to land before mid foot.

Words of caution - if you decide to use shoes with less heal drop make the transition gradual to avoid Achilles and other calf issues that can crop up from a rapid transition

bob e v
                  2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

I *wish* it took me 18 months to go through 3 pairs of shoes, but I am also putting in a lot more miles (and a lot more per pair ~600). I suspect the heel striking is what is causing your shoe to feel too worn.

Keep in mind running is not walking, the mechanics are different.

ie:  While walking our front foot is extended in front of our hips and we typically land on our heel.

While running, your foot should land pretty close to directly under your hips or slightly behind. (this would naturally take more impact off any heel striking.

Can you find a local running coach (a good one) and see if they have any suggestions?

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

I'm a heel striker, especially on my left foot.  The outside edge of my NB 1260's is worn to ish, but I'm not having any pain at the moment...so until I start feeling twinges of pain or it wears through, I'll just keep running in them.

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

The surface you run on can make a difference on how chewed up your shoes get too.  Some roads around me they do an oil/chipped stone surface and that seems to wear down my heels in that spot too.  But on a pair that I save for trails, I can get 500 miles without a dramatic wear in the heel rubber.

Leah, mother of dogs

Thanks Everyone for the input.

First Race

Second Race

Scott

Same thing for me with the forefoot. Shoes are made with rubber that wears to quickly. Gotta have you coming back for another pair of shoes regularly. I'll trade you the heels on my shoes, they never touch the ground.

Get off my porch

Sultan of slug

I transitioned to New Balance shoes about 18 months ago. My experience has been I get about 50% (1/2) the mileage from the NB than I did from the Asics model I used previously. I will be moving on from NB to something else soon.

FWIW: I switched back to Asics after about 18 months with New Balance 890s, and the Asics wore out way faster than they used to. And it wasn't the cushioning that had deteriorated - it was the inside of the heel, where the fabric had worn away to expose the hard plastic support structure there.

After going through two pairs of Gel Nimbus that only lasted 300 miles each, I asked about it at my running store. He said that 300 miles is becoming the norm as manufacturers move to lighter materials (and the Gel Nimbus is indeed significantly lighter than it was a year or two ago). Not sure if that's true or not, but that's my recent Asics experience.

I switched to Adidas Boost. Six weeks and 325 miles later, they're still in good shape.

JimR

I use mine until they fall apart.