My first race report: Cove Family and Sports Medicine 5k (Read 954 times)

Fantastic race, Jeff and great report. Turtle head! Big grin

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Anyhow, I was unable to muster a kick of any kind, and sort of cruised at my finishing pace. Having not actually practiced an HTFU moment in many years, I guess I'm not surprised that I didn't magically HTFU at the end of this race.
      I threw down the last 0.1mi of my easy lunchtime 5k loop in 24.8 sec. That's not the same as doing it at the end of a race, but at least now I know the issue is not lack of speed, just lack of guts. HTFU!

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

The Greatest of All Time

Well, again, great job and keep the info flowing for all of us noobs! It comes in handy. And ditto to your comment to Marcus. You're a LOT faster than I am, but don't think I'm not watching. Smile
        Stalkers about.
        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
          Good for a start, Jeff Now all you have to do is start training. Your mileage really sucks! I suspect that your kick is still there. I'm quite sure that it's not a lack of speed that caused you to fade, but more because of not enough aerobic capacity (yet). More races will help too. Fwiw, I faded in my first 20 or more races after I resumed training again a little more than 3 years ago. It took 2 years at 40 mpw and another at 53 mpw before I stopped fading. I'll still fade at little in the 5k sometimes, but not nearly as much as before, and hardly at all in longer races. My advice would be to base your training paces on the race you just ran rather than goal. Even if you suspect that you've improved, wait until you run the race to validate it before adjusting training. It might be counter intuitive, but slowing the workout paces will help build the endurance and stop that blasted fade. Forget the *alls to the wall stuff for a while. Of course more mileage will help a lot too. Just my 2 cents. I realize you've been at this for a while. Jim
          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Now all you have to do is start training. Your mileage really sucks!
            I concur. Big grin
            My advice would be to base your training paces on the race you just ran rather than goal. Even if you suspect that you've improved, wait until you run the race to validate it before adjusting training. It might be counter intuitive, but slowing the workout paces will help build the endurance and stop that blasted fade.
            I've been basing my paces around the idea that I was probably in ~19:30 shape right now, so I'm not gonna need to change much. But yeah, I agree with the idea.
            Forget the *alls to the wall stuff for a while. Of course more mileage will help a lot too.
            Yeah, the kick at the end of the run yesterday was just to prove to myself that I could still move. Doing that on a regular basis is a prescription for injury. I need to do a little more tempo training, but I agree with you that more miles is what I need more than anything else.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Hey you were serious. Nice job! And lack of kick generally has nothing to do with HTFU and everything to do with fitness, though mentally there's often a sense of having packed it in, especially when you're out of practice. HTFU is way overrated. MTFU is hwere it's at, where M = mileage. But you know that.

Runners run

Very nice race and report. I enjoyed reading it. Bravo.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

That's a really good return to racing, I have no doubt you'll be knocking lots of time off in upcoming races. Now if you'll excuse me, I think it's time for my first avatar change. MTA: sad to see my turtle go, but he'd just never be the same after this thread Tight lipped

E.J.
                  Greater Lowell Road Runners
                  Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Go Pre!

So, how's your movements today? Interesting race report, TMI, but good time....really though, TMI. Did I mention TMI?